PDA

View Full Version : Grounding cylinder heads

doyle hargraves
07-09-2019, 10:11 PM
Just bought a set of multifire plug wires and on the box it says to ground cylinder heads??? What’s the deal here. Aren’t the head bolts grounding the heads to the block which is bolted to the frame which in turn is grounded to the battery?

grt74
07-10-2019, 05:52 AM
I've heard of this and I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but we haven't done it, but with all the new tech, it will probably help

Doc88D
07-10-2019, 05:41 PM
We had an old friend tell us to do the same. We instantly noticed that the car cranks faster and fires quicker. Ran a short ground cable from the back of the head to the top bolt on the midplate. We ground the powder coat off at the mid plate.

Krooser
07-10-2019, 10:46 PM
More grounds are more better....

Kromulous
07-11-2019, 08:30 AM
Its a good idea too, we always had trouble burning up coils (canister type) if we didnt ground the engine.

Also, another good idea is to run the main power, and the ground, straight to the battery, with larger wire. Done it this way for years and not to many MSD issues overall.

RW57
07-11-2019, 08:55 AM
I've done mine for years cheap insurance you can never have too many grounds.

RacerX10
07-14-2019, 11:44 AM
I've done mine for years cheap insurance you can never have too many grounds.

that's not entirely true ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

Jking24
07-14-2019, 07:51 PM
that's not entirely true ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)I think your reading into that wrong or your just being a smart ass. This in know way relates to a racecar.

bullittwrench
07-15-2019, 06:12 AM
I ran a ground to the head right before we loaded on Saturday. Definitely cranked faster.

RacerX10
07-15-2019, 09:12 PM
I think your reading into that wrong or your just being a smart ass. This in know way relates to a racecar.

It absolutely does, particularly in things involving the ignition box / tachometers / etc.

wesley2727
07-16-2019, 09:07 PM
It absolutely does, particularly in things involving the ignition box / tachometers / etc.as where that article states u already have an issue somewhere if u are inducing voltage in a ground to where you have 2 different potentials to ground

wesley2727
07-16-2019, 09:11 PM
It absolutely does, particularly in things involving the ignition box / tachometers / etc.

Which would mean you could take a volt meter from one ground to the next and pickup voltage ( there has to be a leak somewhere ( inside msd,coil,etc))

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-16-2019, 10:32 PM
Which would mean you could take a volt meter from one ground to the next and pickup voltage ( there has to be a leak somewhere ( inside msd,coil,etc))

It could simply mean one ground is a "local ground" for lack of a better term. Ideally, everything would ground back to a main ground lug. Everything being lights, brake shutoff, msd box, starter, etc.

B1 crew
07-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Lots of potential reasons for bad grounds . Powder coating , paint, motor plate and motor mounts not making clean contact to frame. Separate ground to engine helps eliminate most of these. A electrical joint compound at connection points will help with corrosion from washing. Also don't forget about the battery disconnect on negative cable can and do corrode internally from dirt and washing to make another potential problem