PDA

View Full Version : New lr assembly

ZERO25
07-25-2019, 01:11 PM
According to the pic, is it adjusted from both ends?

http://www.advancedracingsuspensions.com/portfolio/left-rear-pre-loader-assembly/

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-25-2019, 02:05 PM
According to the pic, is it adjusted from both ends?

http://www.advancedracingsuspensions.com/portfolio/left-rear-pre-loader-assembly/

Yes. But I am pretty sure one is for extension load and one for ride height load.

hunterracing
07-25-2019, 08:51 PM
When would you want 300lbs extend load

fastford
07-25-2019, 11:19 PM
when your bottomed out on the rt frt and your dynamic rear steer and stagger is near perfect.....

Jking24
07-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Maybe I'm a little slow but am i the only one that has trouble understanding what their saying in the description

Krooser
07-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Does racing really need this?

billetbirdcage
07-26-2019, 03:19 PM
It's just a pre-loader for a spring put on a coil-over shock. Same basic thing guys have asked about on here before for the RR but on the LR.

say I take that 50# 20" spring and put on the pre-loader. I set the preload on it with it fully extended at 300# of load, then put on the shock. If I set the coil over nut on the shock so with the shock extended it's a 1/4" longer then the extended length of the pre-loader, then it will have 0 extended load and a gap when fully extended. But once the shock compresses that 1/4" it hits a spring with 300# of preload.

fastford
07-26-2019, 03:49 PM
what impresses me is there 5th coil over set up that is digressive , we had a discussion on here some time back about how to do this , never tried it but planning on trying it soon.......

Kromulous
07-27-2019, 08:17 AM
I agree with FF, Advace seems to be really innovating some cool products.

This LR deal sure would make it nice to set up the car initially.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-27-2019, 11:27 AM
what impresses me is there 5th coil over set up that is digressive , we had a discussion on here some time back about how to do this , never tried it but planning on trying it soon.......

I helped a guy set one up. I had high hopes. He said it was trash. I even had Penske air dump numbers to try and match.

Krooser
07-27-2019, 11:56 AM
Does it come with tie rod ends to match my Gabriels?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-27-2019, 03:07 PM
Does it come with tie rod ends to match my Gabriels?

I'm afraid not

Jking24
07-27-2019, 03:25 PM
It's just a pre-loader for a spring put on a coil-over shock. Same basic thing guys have asked about on here before for the RR but on the LR.say I take that 50# 20" spring and put on the pre-loader. I set the preload on it with it fully extended at 300# of load, then put on the shock. If I set the coil over nut on the shock so with the shock extended it's a 1/4" longer then the extended length of the pre-loader, then it will have 0 extended load and a gap when fully extended. But once the shock compresses that 1/4" it hits a spring with 300# of preload.Thanks billet i had assumed it was probably a pre loader but i was in vacation and my thoughts may have been a little clouded lol

Twenty-Five
07-28-2019, 12:00 PM
It's just a pre-loader for a spring put on a coil-over shock. Same basic thing guys have asked about on here before for the RR but on the LR.say I take that 50# 20" spring and put on the pre-loader. I set the preload on it with it fully extended at 300# of load, then put on the shock. If I set the coil over nut on the shock so with the shock extended it's a 1/4" longer then the extended length of the pre-loader, then it will have 0 extended load and a gap when fully extended. But once the shock compresses that 1/4" it hits a spring with 300# of preload.So when would this be desirable? And how is this much different then just putting a 50lbs spring on the shock and cranking the coil-nut down to preload?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-28-2019, 12:11 PM
So when would this be desirable? And how is this much different then just putting a 50lbs spring on the shock and cranking the coil-nut down to preload?

If all you have is a simple spring, you can set ride height load or extended load. The one you don't set is going to be whatever it comes out to with the spring you have. The above allows you to set them individually.

Twenty-Five
07-29-2019, 09:02 PM
If all you have is a simple spring, you can set ride height load or extended load. The one you don't set is going to be whatever it comes out to with the spring you have. The above allows you to set them individually.I'm struggling to wrap my head around this concept without being able to see it in action on a spring smasher. If I need 500 lbs of ride load at 19” and my ext length is 24” I can’t figure out how with one single spring I can adjust the 24” load number without changing the 19” number as well. What am I missing here?

Krooser
07-29-2019, 09:43 PM
I'm afraid not

Darn......

billetbirdcage
07-29-2019, 09:51 PM
Think using a pair of outside spring compressors (2 J looking threaded tools that hook on each side of the spring on the outside and can compress a spring).

Now picture your LR is almost all the way extended and you tighten up those compressors to take all the tension off the shock. You just reduced the extended load of the spring and not effected the ride height load. When you set the car down the compressors will basically not be doing anything or truthfully just fall off.

That's really crude but should give you the idea. Basically you're making the spring stop expanding at a certain length and thus no pressure or reduced pressure on the shocks coilover cones thus no/reduced pressure at the wheel/tire/shock ends.

Twenty-Five
07-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Think using a pair of outside spring compressors (2 J looking threaded tools that hook on each side of the spring on the outside and can compress a spring).Now picture your LR is almost all the way extended and you tighten up those compressors to take all the tension off the shock. You just reduced the extended load of the spring and not effected the ride height load. When you set the car down the compressors will basically not be doing anything or truthfully just fall off.That's really crude but should give you the idea. Basically you're making the spring stop expanding at a certain length and thus no pressure or reduced pressure on the shocks coilover cones thus no/reduced pressure at the wheel/tire/shock ends.So this seems like a great tuning option for classes that aren't allowed to stack springs. What are the drawbacks verse running a stack and lock out?

billetbirdcage
07-30-2019, 05:33 PM
So this seems like a great tuning option for classes that aren't allowed to stack springs. What are the drawbacks verse running a stack and lock out?

It's not terribly different then a digressive stack (besides you are limited by what single spring rates are available), but you can get to zero open load easier with this deal.

The drawback is you need to use a single super soft tall spring, which they have a tendency to die fast and lose free height where the stack springs tend to keep their free hieght and rate better and are less stressed then that tall super soft spring.

It also may not be legal with a single spring rule as I would think many may have a preloader rule or diameter rule. Since most of the preloader's require a bigger diameter spring then 2.5" and use a 3.0 or larger spring to clear the loader's diameter on the shock. I don't really have a good reason why you would use this over a stack unless the rules forces you.

crownman25
09-27-2019, 11:52 AM
I have never been fast in the slick with a super soft lr spring...

dirtrace09
09-27-2019, 01:59 PM
As mentioned before, it is for setting your extended load to what you desire or need. It's a good concept that can be accomplished other ways also. This just makes things a bit cleaner.