PDA

View Full Version : 50th Annual World 100 in 2020

DarrellGoode
08-23-2019, 08:30 AM
I have a feeling Eldora is gonna do something BIG for the 50th Annual World 100 next year. What are your thoughts on what they should do?

golddirt
08-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Me and my ole lady was just talking about that the other day.

ride height
08-23-2019, 08:42 AM
Ya...I’m going to try and make that one for sure. Should be a dandy party and race. 👍

james777777
08-23-2019, 08:51 AM
100,000 to win

dalemcfan
08-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Races need to pay more through the field instead of doubling the winner’s amount. You cant continue to only pay 10th place $500 or $600 more than 24th place and expect a sport of $100,000 plus racecars survive.

hotrod&ready
08-23-2019, 09:20 AM
I agree. But if your spending a 100k and finishing 10th-24th, you need to sell out!

Shiny Side Up 18
08-23-2019, 10:21 AM
$1,053,000 to win.

Dlmfan123
08-23-2019, 10:24 AM
I agree. But if your spending a 100k and finishing 10th-24th, you need to sell out!Encouraging people to get out of the sport... makes sense

hotrod&ready
08-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Encouraging people to get out of the sport... makes sense

Not doing that. Just saying if a driver is spending that much and not running well, he just needs to rethink his organization.

BerckFan
08-23-2019, 10:38 AM
I agree. But if your spending a 100k and finishing 10th-24th, you need to sell out!

Ummm...ok

10. Kent Robinson
11. Chase Junghans
12. Shane Clanton
13. Kyle Bronson
14. Bobby Pierce
15. Ricky Thornton Jr
16. Devin Moran
17. Michael Chilton
18. Don O’Neal
19. Shanon Buckingham
20. Billy Moyer
21. Brandon Sheppard
22. Rod Conley
23. Jimmy Mars
24. Jonathan Davenport
25. Brian Birkhofer
26. Zack Dohm
27. Mike Marlar
28. Mason Zeigler
29. Brian Shirley
30. Chris Simpson

#FALSuperman
08-23-2019, 12:22 PM
150K to win for 50th, going off the 125K to win for 25th dream.

brsteg
08-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Roger Slack was on Open Red, the WoO Sprint podcast last year (recorded in early March I believe) and he mentioned that planning was already in the idea phase for the 50th World 100.

Can't wait to see what all they come up with, and hope all the drivers are given proper incentive and reward to show up and us all celebrate what Earl created.

dirtcrazy4u
08-23-2019, 02:22 PM
#1 Surprise, a full inversion.

#2 25 and 50 lap cautions nascrap does it and we know everybody loves nascrap

#3 I don't know, my head hurts coming up with those 2 brilliant ideas

mudmaker
08-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Invert the full field. Each place gets $10k to start. Each spot advanced get $3k per place. Payout a regular World 100 type pay. The best cars on the back row could conceivably grab a bundle if they are top shelf throughout the entire race!

STRONGERTHANDIRT
08-23-2019, 07:57 PM
T-shirt vendors gotta be drooling.

Mams
08-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Run clockwise!

bleedsbluer2
08-23-2019, 11:17 PM
Need to break all time record 1 million 1 dollar to win why not tony can bring that money on board lets see coca cola, old spice the list could go on and on

Kryptonite17
08-23-2019, 11:52 PM
150 lap feature for $150,000 to win.

Bloomerdirtking
08-24-2019, 05:49 AM
Let's keep it 100 laps, not 150 please. Maybe "Kid Rock" and some cage dancers would be a nice addition!!

chupp n bloomer fan
08-24-2019, 06:53 AM
Let's keep it 100 laps, not 150 please. Maybe "Kid Rock" and some cage dancers would be a nice addition!!Not a circus, no outside so called stars. Then you bring in people who could care less about racing.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-24-2019, 07:04 AM
Been going every year. Couple weeks away. Definitely be there.

100 laps, no more. Same format they have been using.

Make the preliminary features $20k to win, $2k to start, 50 laps.

The World 100, a $1,000,050.00 purse.

Around $300-$400k to win, but a nice purse. All the way through. Not the Eldora Million purse, more like the Mopar Million purse they had for wingless sprints.

And not only does the winner get the globe. They have a beautiful piece of artwork done with Earl and Bernice and the track. I’m not an art guy, but I was in Myrtle Beach, and there’s a gallery at Broadway at the Beach. Beautiful stuff. You could make something really nice for the 50th. But never ever, change the Globe.

dirt crow
08-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Pre race ceremonies. Hope they get every former winner there that’s still with us. ...Bernice Baltes introduction, standing ovation, then the Earl chant.

HoosierDirtFan
08-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Don’t mess with tradition. I thing the winners share will be what it is supposed to be. I do think they will maybe look at boosting the back of the payout.

chathamracefan
08-24-2019, 10:25 AM
I like the idea of doing the Mopar Million type payout. Haud got $200k for first. I think second was 120k and 3rd 100k. 10k to start feature I believe. I was there for it. 140 non wing sprints. It was a sight to behold. Like to see something like that for the 50th. Probs cost more for tickets but I’m sure they would be sold out

Shiny Side Up 18
08-24-2019, 12:37 PM
They should construct a permanent Globe trophy with all of the winners engraved on it, similar to the Borg-Warner trophy. Call it the "Rulers of the World" or something.

HoosierDirtFan
08-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Don’t mess with tradition. I thing the winners share will be what it is supposed to be. I do think they will maybe look at boosting the back of the payout.

GregA12
08-24-2019, 01:26 PM
I have a feeling Eldora is gonna do something BIG for the 50th Annual World 100 next year. What are your thoughts on what they should do?

I was thinking that as well. I like the idea of keeping the winner prize going up by $1000 just because it’s tradition. There are many different ways they can celebrate it and I look forward to seeing what it is. That Slack seems to be pretty creative.

Krooser
08-24-2019, 11:13 PM
Bring back all the former winners... Pay big money farther back in the field.

play4kps
08-24-2019, 11:48 PM
I like the idea of paying bigger money back thru field, we all know the Big E can afford it! How about a non qualifiers race for 3 grand, winner takes choice, start on tail or take the money.

NY DIRT
09-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Tradition is adding one thousand dollars to the winner every year. My idea would be to add one thousand dollars to every position in the feature World 100 for the anniversary year. That would cost Tony around $35,000 and every driver would benefit from it...

TackyTracker
09-03-2019, 10:14 AM
I know it would be a lot of cars but what about 50 cars make the show??

waaac77
09-03-2019, 02:51 PM
I just looked at the Mopar Million and seen that Stevie Smith got 2nd in that race too. That's incredible. He got 2nd place in the Eldora Million and 2nd place in the Mopar Million.

For the 50th, I'd like to see $1,000 per lap lead and better pay throughout the field. $5,000 to start

dirtcrazy4u
09-03-2019, 03:25 PM
The world 100 was never about the money. Other races pay more with less cars. It's all about winning that race and have the trophy in your hands. You win the world you've beaten the best and what the best has to offer.

Bringing in the past winner's for a Saturday meet n greet would be fun. The pay out thru the field won't matter because there all going to show up loaded for bear. Winning the 50 year trophy only happens once.

HoosierDirtFan
09-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Heck

Why not just have a payout for heat races like some tracks did way back when.

$1,000 to win heat races & $300 to start could help. If tow money for the weekend was boosted I'm sure it could help the overall attendance by drivers & teams.

brsteg
09-03-2019, 03:56 PM
The world 100 was never about the money. Other races pay more with less cars. It's all about winning that race and have the trophy in your hands. You win the world you've beaten the best and what the best has to offer.

Bringing in the past winner's for a Saturday meet n greet would be fun. The pay out thru the field won't matter because there all going to show up loaded for bear. Winning the 50 year trophy only happens once.

The World 100 was about the money for a short time. Earl paid $3,000 to win and put ads out in the papers and he got phone calls telling him the news papers misprinted because they were sure it was supposed to be $3,000 purse. It was the first big money race. And the support and car count far exceeded what Earl had thought of. In fact the first World 100 had a support class. But because of the support, Earl made a promise that if they come back next year and support the event he'll pay an extra thousand to win. and every year after that as long as they come. And there was never need for a support class from then forward.

A legend was born and tradition struck. Other races jumped purses up higher quicker. The DTWC paid $30,000 which was basically the same money as NASCAR drivers were running for on Sundays. But Earl kept his word, and grew his event the way he said he would. A thousand more to win and bigger each year. That Globe trophy became worth it's weight in gold. It's not about the money, it's about a man that took a chance, a man that stood true to his word, 48 years of drivers supporting the vision, and the greatest trophy on the planet.

Is it Thursday yet?

chathamracefan
09-03-2019, 04:09 PM
It was a different Stevie Smith in the Mopar Million sprint race. It was the Pennsylvania sprint car Stevie Smith that got 2nd in that race. That race was incredible in that 2 winged sprint drivers finished 1st & 2nd in the biggest non wing race ever. Jac Haudenschild won & Stevie Smith 2nd.

#FALSuperman
09-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Here's a new article about 2020 for your reading pleasure!

https://www.dirtunlimited.com/post/50th-world-100-at-eldora-speedway-should-be-nationally-televised

HoosierDirtFan
09-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Here's a new article about 2020 for your reading pleasure!

https://www.dirtunlimited.com/post/50th-world-100-at-eldora-speedway-should-be-nationally-televised

Interesting..... That would be very BIG if Tony and Eldora could make it happen.

play4kps
09-03-2019, 07:42 PM
Lets hope it doesnt happen, it will only provide more money for a select few, and the rest get nothing. Dirt late model racing today is at a place major changes have to happen or your looking at 15 -18 cars at Lucas or WOO shows.
The weekly drivers can not keep up finacially with the top tier racers. If this keeps up you will see very good regional drivers hanging it up or racing a few times a year. You will probably see a big rise in a more limited late model or uggghhh, more crates. its the nature of the beast. Why bother showing up at a race you got very little chance to win or place high in it. And the banner says 100,000 to win, sounds great till you realize 10th place is 4 grand, not much money to motivate a guy to spend more, to beat a guy who changes chassis 5-8 times a year, refresh motors very often, 60,000 plus dollar motor, 6 grand or more in shocks.

It really seems that most people forgot what made this sport grow during its hey day, It was to watch and root your favorite local beat the big dogs that came in, and it happened and most locals were competitive and even won. 2/3 of the crowd had their favorite local drivers shirts on.
Not anymore, look around this week at Eldora, 90% or the racing shirts worn will be Owens, Bloomquist, Davenport, Pierce and Eldora shirts, and maybe a few new cling ons of Maddens since he is hot right now.
Not trying to be negative, Im just keeping it real.

GEAR_HEAD
09-03-2019, 07:55 PM
2/3 of the crowd had their favorite local drivers shirts on.
Not anymore, look around this week at Eldora, 90% or the racing shirts worn will be Owens, Bloomquist, Davenport, Pierce and Eldora shirts, and maybe a few new cling ons of Maddens since he is hot right now.

In all fairness I would like to own more locals shirts but very few of them even sell them anymore nor do they travel. You only see the drivers shirts you mentioned because they are the most available products and they are good at marketing. ASI used to have giant boards full of different drivers' shirts that they had available, now they hardly have any to choose from.

Rocky
09-03-2019, 08:51 PM
If I am in the country next September, I am definitely going. I don't care actually about how they make it special or bigger, it's the 50th World 🌎 100 that's enough for me.

#FALSuperman
09-03-2019, 09:20 PM
If I am in the country next September, I am definitely going. I don't care actually about how they make it special or bigger, it's the 50th World  100 that's enough for me.

That sir, is the right attitude.

Rocky
09-03-2019, 09:33 PM
Lets hope it doesnt happen, it will only provide more money for a select few, and the rest get nothing. Dirt late model racing today is at a place major changes have to happen or your looking at 15 -18 cars at Lucas or WOO shows.
The weekly drivers can not keep up finacially with the top tier racers. If this keeps up you will see very good regional drivers hanging it up or racing a few times a year. You will probably see a big rise in a more limited late model or uggghhh, more crates. its the nature of the beast. Why bother showing up at a race you got very little chance to win or place high in it. And the banner says 100,000 to win, sounds great till you realize 10th place is 4 grand, not much money to motivate a guy to spend more, to beat a guy who changes chassis 5-8 times a year, refresh motors very often, 60,000 plus dollar motor, 6 grand or more in shocks.

It really seems that most people forgot what made this sport grow during its hey day, It was to watch and root your favorite local beat the big dogs that came in, and it happened and most locals were competitive and even won. 2/3 of the crowd had their favorite local drivers shirts on.

Earlier this season my buddy and me were talking about that, he wants the whole country to go to FUEL series rules. If you're not familiar it's kinda a hodge podge of 525s steel blocks and a few 604 cars. I don't think that's the way to go, it's too extreme. Maybe we should do like Randy Weaver said as he was shutting down his Super operation though. Go to 410 inch engines and stay with them. Shock packages are crazy expensive but I don't know what to do about that.

There's a lot of smart guys in the industry way smarter than I am. What we really need is a leader. A Bob Memmer type. Somebody that can wrangle all that brain power to call a conference. We can't make every car obselete, but there's got to be a better way. You look at the limited cars in say the Carolinas, because I am familiar with them, they're way more super than the supers I grew up in in the 80s. There's a happy medium. We just need someone to step up and lead us to it. Who? I don't know.

kidrock
09-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Let's keep it 100 laps, not 150 please. Maybe "Kid Rock" and some cage dancers would be a nice addition!!

Not a circus, no outside so called stars. Then you bring in people who could care less about racing.

But I do like racing lol

buster83
09-04-2019, 08:20 AM
make 427 chevy or ford aluminum small block max size allowed to run with cap of 800 max hp make it worthwhile for everyone they are going to have to start somewhere so why not here and try to get these engine builders prices down if bob had still been living something would've done and been done.

HoosierDirtFan
09-04-2019, 08:41 AM
make 427 chevy or ford aluminum small block max size allowed to run with cap of 800 max hp make it worthwhile for everyone they are going to have to start somewhere so why not here and try to get these engine builders prices down if bob had still been living something would've done and been done.

Buster - I like what you and Rocky said.

I agree. I seen someone else comment say go to a 410 motor across the board. Starting with capping engine size would be a good place to start in trying to bring prices down some. Problem is these series aren't smart enough to do something intelligent like that. I don't believe drivers and teams are smart enough to do this with out some one mandating it. I do think it could work inn the long run. At Big races winners engine is tore down and checked. If Legal he gets his engine fixed by series and track. If engine is deemed illegal then second get the trophy and money if their legal.

IMO the DIRTcar group is the worst offenders. Heck they don't even police their own rules except at big events. I'd also to some extent call them a monopoly as they have a bunch of tracks a series under their umbrella and they could give a crap. Like you said we need another Bob Memmer. Deery is a joke. Look at his Rockford idea and how it turned out. No one should be dictating what series a track promotor has decided to bring in and how they run their track. DIRTcar needs someone with a pair of b@!!$ running things in a smart manner.

Just my thoughts.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-04-2019, 09:11 AM
But I do like racing lolAnd I think your older music is bad a$$ man.

brsteg
09-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Buster - I like what you and Rocky said.
I agree. I seen someone else comment say go to a 410 motor across the board.
I think if you go with 410, then their may be some commonality with sprint car motors which should allow more engine builder options for teams to get a fair price; but DLM engine builders could maybe expand into sprint cars if they aren't there already. Commonality and competition would hopefully lower the price some.

IMO the DIRTcar group is the worst offenders. Heck they don't even police their own rules except at big events. I'd also to some extent call them a monopoly as they have a bunch of tracks a series under their umbrella and they could give a crap. Like you said we need another Bob Memmer. Deery is a joke. Look at his Rockford idea and how it turned out. No one should be dictating what series a track promotor has decided to bring in and how they run their track. DIRTcar needs someone with a pair of b@!!$ running things in a smart manner.

Just my thoughts.

Either WRG and Lucas have to do something from the top; or the extreme case, a LOT of promoters are going to have to get in a room together and create a new UMP to overthrow the Goliaths who aren't feeling the pain the weekly race promoter is.

GEAR_HEAD
09-04-2019, 10:39 AM
I think if you go with 410, then their may be some commonality with sprint car motors which should allow more engine builder options for teams to get a fair price; but DLM engine builders could maybe expand into sprint cars if they aren't there already. Commonality and competition would hopefully lower the price some.

Either WRG and Lucas have to do something from the top; or the extreme case, a LOT of promoters are going to have to get in a room together and create a new UMP to overthrow the Goliaths who aren't feeling the pain the weekly race promoter is.

It's time for another Bob Memmer to step up and kill these aero sensitive cars and go backwards a little to something more practical like what guys were running in the late 90's / early 00's, but nobody has the balls to do that anymore. The best way to make the racing better is to slow these cars down and take away some of the traction again, like when the wedge cars were eliminated.

HoosierDirtFan
09-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Absolutely agree. My point exactly. Get more builders and the high price of one builder might come down because a guy or lady can say heck I'll just go to another builder that will give me a more fair price. I think going with a 410ci would be darn near a perfect option. The teams may not like it at first because now they need to get a new engine but in the long run might save them from them selves. Heck Gaerte and some of these other builders that where big in the past and give them a route back to building late model motors. It could be the best overall fix.

brsteg
09-04-2019, 10:59 AM
It's time for another Bob Memmer to step up and kill these aero sensitive cars and go backwards a little to something more practical like what guys were running in the late 90's / early 00's, but nobody has the balls to do that anymore. The best way to make the racing better is to slow these cars down and take away some of the traction again, like when the wedge cars were eliminated.

How was the wedge car killed in the 80's? Because that is what we have to do again.

play4kps
09-04-2019, 11:05 AM
I think taking aero away and the 410 is a great start. This is what we need here, reasonable conversation on how to save the sport. If that means seperating the Lucas and WOO cars, so be it, Hopefully the world and dream stick with the newer ideas, and just maybe a lot of crown jewels will now become unsanctioned, which would be great for the sport.

GEAR_HEAD
09-04-2019, 11:09 AM
How was the wedge car killed in the 80's? Because that is what we have to do again.

Memmer created UMP to form an alliance against them, which was necessary to donat that time. Sure they were cool looking, but they were getting out of control, just like cars of today. And UMP isn't going to do anything about today's issues, they don't care about the health of the sport one iota. They only care about their money nowadays.

brsteg
09-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Memmer created UMP to form an alliance against them, which was necessary to donat that time. Sure they were cool looking, but they were getting out of control, just like cars of today. And UMP isn't going to do anything about today's issues, they don't care about the health of the sport one iota. They only care about their money nowadays.

I knew UMP was promoter's coming together under leadership of Bob to commonize rules, fight costs and have a voice. Didn't realize the rise of UMP was actually so tied to the wedge car.

I remember reading in Earl's book about it being important for UMP for Earl to sign on with them, which he eventually did. If a new UMP emerged, I think it would be just as critical or maybe more so for Eldora to sign onboard. Something that seems sketchy looking at how ingrained WRG/Dirtcar is at the Speedway for the 2 big Late Model events.

Without Eldora switching the Dream and World over to the new spec late model, any change will probably ultimately be seen as just another crate or steel block type late model class diluting the "Super" class. And the result would probably be the same complaining over the new division as their is the crate class. (I'm guilty of complaining about crates, they don't do it for me.)

I think Eldora has the same power with Late Models as IMS had with IndyCar. Eventually as IMS goes the sport goes... for Late Models, as the World goes the sport will eventually go.

Rocky
09-04-2019, 12:13 PM
If we don’t have Eldora, we don’t have anybody. We’re talking about the World 100 after all and making the party bigger again.

play4kps
09-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Other than the World and Dream Eldora only races late models 3 times a year, in fact they dont race late models at the big e all summer, They run the dream in early june and dont race late models there until the Baltes classic in sept. Eldora is not a late model track, or at least all summer long its not.

Rocky
09-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Indeed that’s the case, but if the Indy 500 runs a rules package, we know what happened there. Honestly there’s not a weekly Super late model track within 150 miles of my house. Depending on what a Super actually is. Fast limited can run with them on bullrings. But like I said before they ain’t THAT limited. Limited cubic inches and steel blocks, that’s it. I don’t know the answers but we all agree that something has to be done if Super is gonna be a thing at all. I ain’t saying crates, or brink the bodies to pro stock size, fans won’t come see that. While they’re at it they need to get the modified class back in hand them things are basically like if a Super and a hobby stock had a live child anymore.