PDA

View Full Version : Sharon Speedway next weekend and last night

chupp n bloomer fan
08-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Ok. To say Sharon has been apart of my family for a long time is an understatement. Been going there and or racing there since the 50’s and 60’s. I went last night, and the track was in very good shape. Good car counts, good racing.

The Outlaws show next week, man, I think it’ll be good. They have the surface figured out. Definitely would go, just gotta redo my deck. And that’s my best chance to do it.

And if this gets moved, oh well.

The headliner last night was a $3k to win, $300 to start, modified race. Over 30 cars, and 4 states. And my brother drove an excellent race and pulled off the win. Started 5th, rode in third, was right with second approaching lapped traffic, and they had a caution. Had another immediate red flag for a pile up going into 1.

All this let Ruhlman be right there in 4th, after starting 10th I think. So me and mostly everyone thought, it’s over. Nope, brother got a fantastic restart to get Lunger for second, stayed right with Watson for a few laps, there was 10 to go. And just kept rolling the center, on the bottom. Passed Joel with 3-4 to go or so, and won. By far his biggest win, most money. Between that night and points stuff and contingencies, around $4k.

And ya had Drake Troutman, Mike Altobelli, Randy Hall, etc. But my younger brother, Joe Gabrielson, drive his butt off and won.

It was a perfect night to win. I was there, I’m usually not. They celebrated old timers, our Dad included, who passed in 2013, our Dad’s birthday was on Friday, he’d have been 77. Quite a few of the old really good drivers were there. Our Dad woulda ate that up. Just very proud of him. He wasn’t handed the win, he didn’t start on the pole. He drove his butt off and won with a clean pass.

dirtcrazy4u
08-25-2019, 08:06 AM
CnB, glad your brother won and you had the chance to think back when racing was real racing.

Mams
08-25-2019, 08:39 AM
Sounds like a great night for you! Glad you could be there.

TerryM
08-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Congrats on the awesome family night, buddy. That had to be great, other than the bittersweet part about your dad. I’m sure he was enjoying it too.

dirtMAN007
08-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Sounds emotional for you and your family in so many ways ! Congratulations to your brother on a big win against what sounds to be a stout field !

Dlmfan123
08-25-2019, 10:21 AM
I’m really looking forward to doubling up this weekend with the woo and Lucas races at Sharon and Tyler county

Josh Bayko
08-25-2019, 10:25 AM
I’m really looking forward to that WoO show myself. I dig Sharon a lot. Just an awesome facility.

Madcat
08-25-2019, 11:43 AM
Congrats CnB. Really happy to hear you were able to attend and that your brother had such a great win. Sounds like he definitely earned it!

Dad read your write up aloud when we left Mansfield today and I could hear him tear up a bit reading about your pops. He’s a bit older than your dad was and think after wrenching in our buddy’s car all weekend, it hit him that he probably ain’t got much time until he joins mom upstairs.

Good stuff as always.

kazual
08-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Congrats to your brother and your family C&B. Great story. Hope the WOO event is as good. I live about half way between a $3k to win mod show and a pretty decent regional late model series paying $5k to win going on this next weekend. Care to guess which one I think has a better chance of putting on an entertaining race?

chupp n bloomer fan
08-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Congrats to your brother and your family C&B. Great story. Hope the WOO event is as good. I live about half way between a $3k to win mod show and a pretty decent regional late model series paying $5k to win going on this next weekend. Care to guess which one I think has a better chance of putting on an entertaining race?Some will say the modifieds suck etc.

I say, anymore, the dang modifieds will put on the better show.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-25-2019, 07:52 PM
CnB, glad your brother won and you had the chance to think back when racing was real racing.Me too man. It has always has been a money thing, just getting worse. And modifieds are getting there. But, late models are just insanely $$$$.

And pay has been the same forever.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Thank you both. Don’t worry man, two to go, I was holding back tears.

Today when I stopped at the grave, tearing up.

Racing has always been in our family. A lot of good people in racing, some morons too, but good people too.

Last night, someone knocked out Troutman’s hauler headlights over a racing deal. We helped Ruhlman get his wingless crate to the scales. He got second, and would have been DQued. So instead of others being white, because they’d want the same treatment. They don’t stop. They rev their motors, eye bang you, and swell up. You’d want to be given help if you were in their situation. It was just Brian and his wife. She can’t shove it back, plus push him with the 4 wheeler. And I’ve seen him race for literally 30+ years. I was glad to help him. Just ridiculous selfish other racers/crew.

And then the good. Brian thanked us for helping them. His wife and him both, nice people.

And guy my brother beat, Joel Watson. Who we both have liked for a long time. He has helped Joe. Heck, he used to crew for Randle Chupp in the 114 outta Ohio. Come over and congratulated my brother and talked with him. My brother was just so happy to pass Joel, in our area, he is top notch. Heck anywhere. He has won at Atomic.

Just shows, like everything else, there’s good and bad. And it crosses all generations.

Just wish my Dad was there. He’d have been so dang happy. And he was the very low key stern type. But my brother just ran so well, I was proud, my Dad woulda been too.

Enjoy the time man, before you know it, and sometimes you cannot fathom, how quick things change and they are gone. And don’t for a second be afraid to tell them you love them.

I for sure would have regretted if my wife hadn’t come along, she is the one who got us saying it. She told him she loved him, we never did. From that point on, we did. Looking back, so glad we did.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-25-2019, 08:20 PM
Yeah man. Thank you. Is what it is. I didn’t add yet, it was called the Bickerstaff Cup. It was in honor of a guy named Jim Bickerstaff. Very good racer at Sharon.

My Dad used to talk about how good he was. I wanna say he retired from General Motors, same plant my Dad retired from.

Just was a very fitting night for my brother to win.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Yeah man. Last night is the best I’ve seen it since it was a half mile under Ed Skillman.

Smooth, slicked off, run all over it, good car counts, efficient show.

I think the lates will put on a great show.

Glad Dave Willoughby/Blaney, got the ship righted.

Just looked at schedules. Ya got Sharon two nights and I96, Lucas at Ponderosa, PRP, and Tyler.

Should get some decent car counts.

Dlmfan123
08-25-2019, 09:21 PM
I don’t think the car count will be all that great at Sharon.

Barbecueboy
08-25-2019, 09:24 PM
Some will say the modifieds suck etc.

I say, anymore, the dang modifieds will put on the better show.

The mods have always been my favorite class......they don't suck at all.