PDA

View Full Version : Barnes Single Stage Oil Pressure

TPR30
08-30-2019, 07:34 PM
Bought a new engine that runs off a single stage external oil pump and bought a new Barnes single stage pump to go with it. Pressure at idle is around 50 psi. At 4000 RPM the oil pressure gauge pegs the needle out. Any ideas on what could cause this? Does the pressure screw need to be ran in or out?

Jking24
08-30-2019, 09:17 PM
That may help but their is only so much adjustment you may need a different spring or to trim the existing one i would try ajusting it first but if it's not too a usable range after about four turns i would call barnes and they can guide you on your next move

fastford
08-31-2019, 10:22 AM
never had a barns , but if there like weaver , they offer several different springs , probably look on line or call them like jking suggested..to much oil pressure can be worse than low oil pressure sometimes.....one other thing , i had a new pump pick up a tiny piece of trash one time and stuck the poppet closed , you might want to take poppet out and check it , no big deal to do.....

Jking24
08-31-2019, 02:56 PM
never had a barns , but if there like weaver , they offer several different springs , probably look on line or call them like jking suggested..to much oil pressure can be worse than low oil pressure sometimes.....one other thing , i had a new pump pick up a tiny piece of trash one time and stuck the poppet closed , you might want to take poppet out and check it , no big deal to do.....Agreed quick easy check

racer2e
09-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Slow the pump down. You do not want to spin the pump too fast, and then bypass lots of extra oil volume to control pressure.