PDA

View Full Version : You guys ever noticed?

Rocky
09-05-2019, 09:07 AM
I was at the track a few weeks ago with my Dad and he pointed out something to me. The late model feature went out there and ran, the track rubbered up then they sent the front wheel drives out there on street tires. Usually around here they go last but I was up North. Anyways after 5 laps the rubber was gone and the modified had a basically fresh track to race on. You guys ever noticed that? Actually they did that at 2 different tracks. Maybe They can use that to their advantage. On maybe a twin bill with Sprint cars run the buzz bomb feature instead of an intermission and the grader. I must not be very observant, I used to race front wheel drives.

Punisher88
09-05-2019, 09:46 AM
It's always cleaned the track up and widened it at eams the last few years when they've had them at the state and national. Really widens the track out. May still take rubber but it isn't one lane of rubber

brsteg
09-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Hard tires scrub off soft rubber; and front wheel and even dig up fresh track. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it causes ruts.

Few years ago at World Finals back when they were on SPEED I think it was Donny Schatz that was being interviewed and said that the late model tires where harder and scrubbed the softer sprint car rubber off the track every time they ran like a pencil eraser.

Rocky
09-05-2019, 10:34 AM
I'll be danged I honestly never noticed. Probably because at the very end of the night I am ready to go home. I do know that sometimes they cause ruts though.

mcarter815
09-05-2019, 10:41 AM
I flinch whenever I learn that the 4 cylinders or hobby stocks are the first class of the night. Narrow tires can ruin a fresh track.