PDA

View Full Version : Historical Perspective - Davenport

flagone
09-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Whether you hate him or love him, JD put himself into some pretty rarefied air last night.

Some of you will already know these numbers. Some will not. Some of you that know them probably haven't thought about them.

Only 3 drivers in the 49 year history have won more globes than JD - Billy Moyer (6), Scott Bloomquist (4) and Donnie Moran (4).

And only 6 drivers have won at least 3. The aforementioned trio along with Jeff Purvis, Larry Moore and now Jonathan Davenport.

Jonathan is likely still early in his career. Sometimes when we are witnessing things that are special we don't always slow down and think about them. We are more likely to reminisce when they are over. Scott could still win more for sure. If we believe Moyer it was his last (yes, I know...). Owens could still win more of course. But it sure makes a guy like me stop and think about where in a historical perspective this victory puts JD. And how that changes even more if he were to win 1 or 2 more.

FieldFiller
09-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the stats flagone. That’s pretty cool for Davenport. Hopefully it’ll help cement him as more than just a “device driver” to the so-called experts on here. Hell of a wheelman.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-08-2019, 01:42 PM
He has improved so much from his time in the 6 car with the device.

Smooth, smart, straight, just really maturing. I know at Tri-City I think he was real frustrated, but last night he was spot on.

#FALSuperman
09-08-2019, 09:16 PM
I'm glad this post was made. Coming from me, it wouldn't mean as much, since we all know I pull for JD.

End of the day, he's a really good driver. He adjusts within the race and sometimes when he knows it isn't his night, JD will take a top 5 or top 10 without forcing the issue.
Like C&B said, he has matured/improved greatly the past couple years.
Also, how many of the 6 drivers who have won 3 or more Globes have done so with 3 or more different car owners?
That in itself is quite the accomplishment and proves JD can adapt to the differences each team brings with them.
I do believe JD has the chance to go down as one of the greats over the next 10-15 years.
He's kind of in that area where he is younger than Moyer, Bloomer, Owens, EPJ, T-Mac, etc... yet older than the likes of B-Shepp, Pierce, Weiss, Moran, Erb, etc...

Dlmfan123
09-09-2019, 07:20 PM
I keep forgetting Jonathan is only 35

#FALSuperman
09-09-2019, 09:20 PM
I keep forgetting Jonathan is only 35

I think many forget that he just turned 35.

Dlmfan123
09-09-2019, 09:30 PM
I think many forget that he just turned 35.Birthday is in October

#FALSuperman
09-09-2019, 09:37 PM
Birthday is in October

Correct you are sir. He was 35 all year lol

Barbecueboy
09-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Anybody that's watched him for any length of time knows the whole" device" moniker is as stupid as the person saying it ......Sure he happened on lightning in a bottle with the 6 , but he has been winning when shouldn't for a good while now.

Now he's just winning when he should.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-10-2019, 03:40 AM
Anybody that's watched him for any length of time knows the whole" device" moniker is as stupid as the person saying it ......Sure he happened on lightning in a bottle with the 6 , but he has been winning when shouldn't for a good while now.

Now he's just winning when he should.To be fair, they played up the device stuff too with TShirts. And personally, when they had that, I think it hurt him for a bit. Because they were unstoppable with it, and then once it was taken away it took time to get a better mouse trap.

Now, he is all the things I’ve stated. And I’m glad he is running well and matured a ton.

#FALSuperman
09-10-2019, 05:29 AM
JD results @ Eldora Speedway 2019:

Thurs night Twin Feature Dream: 2nd
Fri night Twin Feature Dream: 1st
Sat night Dream 100: 23rd (was battling for the lead with Strickler 28 laps in when they made contact and bent a tie-rod).

Thurs Night Twin Feature World: 2nd
Fri Night Twin Feature World: 1st
Sat Night World 100: 1st

You think JD likes Eldora?

waaac77
09-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Going to be fun watching JD, Pierce, Sheppard, Weiss etc.. in the next 20 years. You know there will be some newcomers as well but with just these four you could almost say is the mount rushmore of the future of late models.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-10-2019, 09:10 AM
He's so much better now. He was never just a "device driver", but he wasn't half as smooth and smart as he is now. He drove more like Bobby until the last couple of years. A lot of guys could have won a lot of races in the 6 in 2015. He is earning his pay now.

#FALSuperman
09-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Agreed MasterSbilt...
Another thing that people may not realize...the past 17 years of the World 100 has 15 different winners. Davenport is the only one with more than 1. The fact he has 3 and they have come in the past 5, should says it all to anyone who may have doubted he deserved to be listed as one of the best around currently.