PDA

View Full Version : World 100 Globe trophy

Burke1118
09-10-2019, 04:41 PM
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere... but why on earth did they get rid of the most iconic trophy in all of dirt racing.....? The new world 100 trophy looks so cheesy compared to the famed globe trophy. ***Link to petition to bring back the globe http://chng.it/KKNtmgs4SB***

Jim11h
09-10-2019, 05:04 PM
He's holding his steering wheel isn't he

rdcllk
09-10-2019, 05:55 PM
The new trophy is sitting by the car.
Stupidest thing ever to get rid of the globe trophy

Zonks32x
09-10-2019, 06:46 PM
I'd take part of my winnings and pay to have a replica globe made.

The "new" trophy is awful.

Austin34471
09-10-2019, 07:05 PM
I didn't even notice until now.... wow... I think a small part of me might have just died

Burke1118
09-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Alright, for fun I made a petition to get it back lol. Maybe if it gets some traction Tony will listen http://chng.it/KKNtmgs4SB vote it up 4m

zyoung25
09-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Alright, for fun I made a petition to get it back lol. Maybe if it gets some traction Tony will listen http://chng.it/KKNtmgs4SB vote it up 4m

I'm in.

That new trophy is awful. Whoever's idea it was to change it, needs to recieve multiple junk punches. May Earl haunt them til they change it back.

kidrock
09-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Time changes things and some stay in the past and others move on and nothing wrong with either. I've moved on and realized it's just a trophy but, for others it must be more than a trophy.

Illtsate32
09-10-2019, 09:14 PM
JD was looking to hug the globe on the banner, ended up hugging a logo ...

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Time changes things and some stay in the past and others move on and nothing wrong with either. I've moved on and realized it's just a trophy but, for others it must be more than a trophy.

It's not a trophy, it's THE TROPHY.

Barbecueboy
09-10-2019, 09:21 PM
Somebody is gonna get fired......

Barbecueboy
09-10-2019, 09:22 PM

Mic dropper right there.

kidrock
09-10-2019, 09:52 PM

And see to me it's just a trophy

Rocky
09-10-2019, 10:08 PM
That thing next to the car is the new trophy? I thought it was a feature winner sign. Maybe we could all blow up Tony on Twitter for the next 11 months. Being annoying can work.

Mason87
09-10-2019, 10:28 PM
Dont get what the big deal is as a fan I couldn't care less what they gave the winner at the end of the race. Its unreal to see people get so butt hurt over something changing.

Snowmanracr21
09-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Dont get what the big deal is as a fan I couldn't care less what they gave the winner at the end of the race. Its unreal to see people get so butt hurt over something changing.

So why not change the Stanley Cup, Lombardi Trophy and World Series Trophy too? I know why. They are iconic awards meant to always be the same and desired more than anything else in each of their sports. Just plain stupid and an insult to Earl's legacy

Jim11h
09-10-2019, 11:05 PM
I thought as well was just a winner list thing.....nope real globe all that matters hands down. He shouldn't be looking to hug a banner

Mason87
09-10-2019, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't care about those either, I dont get caught up in things I cant control. I have better things to worry about and rather a guy gets his historical trophy or not sure isn't one of them.

mll8pt
09-10-2019, 11:34 PM
So why not change the Stanley Cup, Lombardi Trophy and World Series Trophy too? I know why. They are iconic awards meant to always be the same and desired more than anything else in each of their sports. Just plain stupid and an insult to Earl's legacy

absolutely spot on

kidrock
09-11-2019, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't care about those either, I dont get caught up in things I cant control. I have better things to worry about and rather a guy gets his historical trophy or not sure isn't one of them.

That was my point some are going to care and some are not. I could care less about what the trophy looks like. I just want to know is the check good.

You know the Stanley cup trophy was just a bowl at one time and oh guess what it changed.
The world series trophy was redesigned in 2,000

TerryM
09-11-2019, 06:03 AM
At the end of the day, it doesn’t change my life, but it’s an iconic piece of the biggest race in our sport and a whole lot of people are discussing it. Believe me, people were talking about it all through the bleachers and in the pits Saturday night. It’s all over social media as well. It’s ok to have an opinion without being labeled “butt hurt”.

And I signed the petition.

Tireguy17
09-11-2019, 06:31 AM
It doesn't even look like a trophy.

waaac77
09-11-2019, 07:58 AM
I ain't gonna lose sleep over this but still doesn't change the fact that this was a dumb decision. Petition signed

Now JD has 2 Globes and 1 World 100 win

chupp n bloomer fan
09-11-2019, 08:07 PM
While some, who in my opinion must not have been late model fans for a long time, think it’s just a trophy, it’s way more than that.

It is an icon, what does every single driver wanna win? The Globe. Not a metal pos, the Globe.

Goddam right Earl would be rolling in his grave.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Dont get what the big deal is as a fan I couldn't care less what they gave the winner at the end of the race. Its unreal to see people get so butt hurt over something changing.I’m guessing you haven’t been a late model fan for a long time?

Mason87
09-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Been around racing my whole life and yes I'm a huge fan and love it. I enjoy the races not the trophy the driver gets.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-11-2019, 08:58 PM
This guy gets it!

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-11-2019, 09:02 PM
That was my point some are going to care and some are not. I could care less about what the trophy looks like. I just want to know is the check good.

You know the Stanley cup trophy was just a bowl at one time and oh guess what it changed.
The world series trophy was redesigned in 2,000

That's why the world 100 is actually a crown jewel. The check is ok. Having a globe is everything.

Mason87
09-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Maybe its everything to a driver or owner but as I fan I dont give a crap and to say why not change the NFL, NHL or MLB trophies because you can go around and ask any random person on the street and they would know what that is. Ask about the globe and only small percentage would even know what the trophy was for.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Maybe its everything to a driver or owner but as I fan I dont give a crap and to say why not change the NFL, NHL or MLB trophies because you can go around and ask any random person on the street and they would know what that is. Ask about the globe and only small percentage would even know what the trophy was for.

Who cares if John q Public knows the Globe? They don't know the sport. So of course they don't know the Globe. My mom doesn't know the Stanley Cup. She knows what the World Series trophy looks like though.

Mason87
09-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Your right, maybe tony wanted a nice trophy instead of something that looked like it came out of a thrift shop.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Your right, maybe tony wanted a nice trophy instead of something that looked like it came out of a thrift shop.

You spelled winner's list wrong.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-12-2019, 03:29 AM
Your right, maybe tony wanted a nice trophy instead of something that looked like it came out of a thrift shop.It’s not about whether it looks cool to some random person, is it fashionable, well no, not really. It is purely nostalgia and symbolism. You want the Globe.

You sure are arguing quite a bit over something you don’t care about.

kidrock
09-12-2019, 05:17 AM
I've been a fan since the 70's but, like I said some fans care about the trophy and others don't. Things change and some people except change easier than others. That's just a fact.

kidrock
09-12-2019, 05:21 AM
That's why the world 100 is actually a crown jewel. The check is ok. Having a globe is everything.

Having the check puts food on the table not a trophy. I highly doubt to many are going to say keep the check but, give me the globe.

ImCryn2
09-12-2019, 06:28 AM
Having the check puts food on the table not a trophy. I highly doubt to many are going to say keep the check but, give me the globe.

Well, there is the fact that the World 100 always draws more cars than the Dream when the Dream pays way better. You never hear them say Billy Moyer collected 6 World 100 paychecks either, they say he has 6 Globes. I don't think anyone is going to pass on the check, but the globe had been a big part of the weekend 48 times, I don't see the point of changing that on the 49th race. I could see them maybe wanting to change it up somehow for the 50th, but even then just incorporating a globe into a different design. JMO tho

deadringer
09-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Horrible looking hunk of crap, its all about the globe!!

MEE
09-12-2019, 08:00 AM

If Bloomer had won I'd bet you would be all upset !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Lance Landers sure as hell isn't making a profit running team 49. I bet he'd like a Globe to display.

brsteg
09-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Lance Landers sure as hell isn't making a profit running team 49. I bet he'd like a Globe to display.

Here is a great point, they always gave away 2 Globe trophy's, one for the driver and one for the owner. Lance got robbed of a Globe trophy.

Change my mind.

golddirt
09-12-2019, 09:43 AM
I have signed

Mason87
09-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Lol Mee how do you automatically assume I'm a bloomer guy? Wouldn't care either and CnB fan I dont care just think it's funny to get your panties in a twist; truth is I haven't even seen the trophy JD crossed the checkers tv off and I went to bed.

Crossbones
09-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Every sport has its event were money isn't the most important thing and thats what the world 100 is to DLMR, so stuff like hardware is important. When I first read this thread I was concerned that the trophy was just a typical trophy but I looked at it on DOD it still has a globe on it from the best I could see. The past trophys did look cheap so maybe this new one won't hurt the image.

brsteg
09-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Every sport has its event were money isn't the most important thing and thats what the world 100 is to DLMR, so stuff like hardware is important. When I first read this thread I was concerned that the trophy was just a typical trophy but I looked at it on DOD it still has a globe on it from the best I could see. The past trophys did look cheap so maybe this new one won't hurt the image.

There's no Globe, just a modernistic sphere. It's a powder coated hunk of metal that misses the mark.
I can't see calling it a redesign of the Globe trophy at all, which is one thing, instead it's a new thing that replaced the Globe trophy. Not cool, IMO.

brsteg
09-12-2019, 12:51 PM
I can't see calling it a redesign of the Globe trophy at all, which is one thing

Personally, for me to accept the redesign, which the World 100 trophy has had different designs before just not in a long while, they need to add a proper Globe. Hollow it out so it isn't just a chunk of metal, it'll look better and I'd like it to be light enough where the winner can lift it in celebration. (Taking about where you can see through the trophy) Drop the powder coating and plate it with Silver or chrome (Gold plate next year). The silhouette isn't that bad.

It just went too far off the rails, all modern and no tradition.

Barbecueboy
09-12-2019, 03:58 PM

I have no stats to back it up but I bet over the long haul having a globe on your resume garners you more sponsor money , show up money etc.than the world winners check is worth.

kidrock
09-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Well, there is the fact that the World 100 always draws more cars than the Dream when the Dream pays way better. You never hear them say Billy Moyer collected 6 World 100 paychecks either, they say he has 6 Globes. I don't think anyone is going to pass on the check, but the globe had been a big part of the weekend 48 times, I don't see the point of changing that on the 49th race. I could see them maybe wanting to change it up somehow for the 50th, but even then just incorporating a globe into a different design. JMO tho

Maybe your missing my point. My point is only that some fans care about the trophy and others don't. Not how important it is to the drivers and or owners.

kidrock
09-12-2019, 05:35 PM
I have no stats to back it up but I bet over the long haul having a globe on your resume garners you more sponsor money , show up money etc.than the world winners check is worth.

So not that they won 6 world 100 but, that they have 6 globes-but, I get what your saying and I agree having those wins on your resume sure can't hurt.

TDRacin®
09-13-2019, 05:48 PM
So not that they won 6 world 100 but, that they have 6 globes-but, I get what your saying and I agree having those wins on your resume sure can't hurt.

I don't think you understand the point of the World. Every driver competing wanted the "Globe". The money was irrelevant (the purse should have given you a clue!).

kidrock
09-13-2019, 06:10 PM
TDRacin
I don't think you understand the point of the World. Every driver competing wanted the "Globe". The money was irrelevant (the purse should have given you a clue!).

Again like others your missing my point. I said Some FANS don't care about the trophy aka Globe. I never ever said a driver and or owner doesn't care about the trophy and no the money is not irrelevant. I have never heard of a driver tell Tony or Eldora speedway I'll take the globe and you can just keep the money. SMH

Mason87
09-13-2019, 06:11 PM
Maybe Tony should just cut the purse and bring back the globe and just race for it since the money is irrelevant. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to bring it back. Lol saying money is irrelevant who make their living racing. I'll have what your smoking.

kidrock
09-13-2019, 10:17 PM
Maybe Tony should just cut the purse and bring back the globe and just race for it since the money is irrelevant. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to bring it back. Lol saying money is irrelevant who make their living racing. I'll have what your smoking.

I know right!

ThebigE
09-16-2019, 07:11 AM
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere... but why on earth did they get rid of the most iconic trophy in all of dirt racing.....? The new world 100 trophy looks so cheesy compared to the famed globe trophy. ***Link to petition to bring back the globe http://chng.it/KKNtmgs4SB***

Because Roger Slack is a dingbat. I'm still clueless as to why Stewart keeps him in charge at Eldora.

fryefan
09-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Personally, I think the new trophy looks great. The old style was dated.

waaac77
09-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Pretty sure nobody actually means drivers would race for the globe and $0 to win. If you believe that's what people meant than you're either not smart or just being a jacka$s. Everyone knows they race for the globe at the world not the money. No one would ever give the money back.

Mason87
09-16-2019, 12:29 PM
So if they're racing for the globe and not the money, why not race for a thrift shop trophy and not 50 plus grand.

kidrock
09-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Pretty sure nobody actually means drivers would race for the globe and $0 to win. If you believe that's what people meant than you're either not smart or just being a jacka$s. Everyone knows they race for the globe at the world not the money. No one would ever give the money back.

So the money is relevant then. I think the funniest thing about all this when I said some Fans don't care about the trophy some turned that into that don't I know what that trophy means to the driver which I never said anything about the drivers. Yes I know they want the money as well as the Globe.

ZERO25
09-16-2019, 05:15 PM
I have yet to see or hear an NFL player say, wheres my check, but …...I have heard a ton say, let me hold that trophy!

ZERO25
09-16-2019, 05:17 PM
CORRECTION:I have yet to see or hear an NFL player say, wheres my Super Bowl check, but …...I have heard a ton say, let me hold that Lombardi trophy!

kidrock
09-16-2019, 06:40 PM
CORRECTION:I have yet to see or hear an NFL player say, wheres my Super Bowl check, but …...I have heard a ton say, let me hold that Lombardi trophy!

Yep because the check is irrelevant lol, they don't want the money remember they just want the trophy lmao!!!

ALLDIRT
09-16-2019, 07:13 PM

You are partly right Kid . But I like my cake with icing too . just saying . tradition .

ZERO25
09-16-2019, 07:46 PM
Yep because the check is irrelevant lol, they don't want the money remember they just want the trophy lmao!!!

That Super Bowl check is chump change to most of them!

ALLDIRT
09-16-2019, 07:58 PM

That Super Bowl check is chump change to most of them!

They won't remember the money to long either . lmao too .

Bill31
09-18-2019, 03:41 PM
Didn't there used to be a saying that said "drivers will show up to win that globe trophy even if the race only pays a hotdog and a coke" ? or something to that effect.