PDA

View Full Version : Understeer/oversteer???

ZERO25
09-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Watched a recent Roadkill show where they were trying to race a wrecked Mopar car. It hit a telephone pole right behind the passenger seat.It bent the frame so bad the right side was 7 inches shorter...yes, 7 inches. They were able to get the car running and streetable but left the rearend skewed.

When they made laps at the local dirt track they, 2 diff drivers, both were 2-3 seconds faster going counterclockwise and said the car was much more stable that way!

Whats your opinion on why they were much faster going clockwise and why was the car more stable?

Opinions please!

hucktyson
09-15-2019, 08:48 PM
Going clock wise with the passenger side 7” shorter would be rear steer in the correct direction . Going the typical counter clockwise the rear steer would be the wrong direction .... I’m not sure what you are asking ...

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Watched a recent Roadkill show where they were trying to race a wrecked Mopar car. It hit a telephone pole right behind the passenger seat.It bent the frame so bad the right side was 7 inches shorter...yes, 7 inches. They were able to get the car running and streetable but left the rearend skewed.

When they made laps at the local dirt track they, 2 diff drivers, both were 2-3 seconds faster going clockwise and said the car was much more stable that way!

Whats your opinion on why they were much faster going clockwise and why was the car more stable?

Opinions please!

I don't know what exactly was bent or the mechanics of that particular differential. So, hard to say. Supposing it was a differential where the unloaded tire slips, I'd say the lr was better aligned with the front.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-15-2019, 09:52 PM
On a car with a spool, you can make a dirt car faster with the RR forward if the car has a lack of grip. Like a bone stock g body, for example.

ZERO25
09-16-2019, 04:54 PM
On a car with a spool, you can make a dirt car faster with the RR forward if the car has a lack of grip. Like a bone stock g body, for example.

Yep, that was one of my go to adj when the track slicked off for 3 link or stock type suspensions.

In the above example, they had to replace the rear housing as it was severely bent as you can imagine. I corrected my post as they were faster going counterclockwise with the rear in the understeer direction. I believe the oversteer was just too much for a stock type suspension and possibly rookie dirt drivers!