PDA

View Full Version : Criteria for Crown Jewels?

Late_Model_Mark
09-19-2019, 05:18 PM
In some recent conversations with some DLM fans and one in particular, what is "your" criteria for a DLM event to be a Crown Jewel? In talking to one long time fan who is a "expert" and a "authority" on DLM racing, opined his views on this subject. The famous "Coca Cola" man said it was a combo of $$ and track. Even going to say that the 1-day Hillbilly 100 is no longer a crown jewel, I was kinda surprised.

So what is it?

A. Longevity?
B. Track and location?
C. Winners purse?
D. Car Count?
E. Sanction?
F. Or ???

Thanks in advance for all viewpoints.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer

Rocky
09-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Is it the World 100? Yes = 👑 💎 no = not a crown jewel. Plenty of big races, maybe better races, but there’s only one. That’s my opinion and you know what they say about those.

WisWildManFan
09-19-2019, 06:34 PM
When Scott Bloomquist is racing

t4g2
09-19-2019, 07:46 PM
the track format and fans. A promoter can't call it a crown jewel even when they raise the winners check. Just because it pays 50k doesn't make it a crown jewel. the drivers and fans decide when it's a crown jewel. Def the world is hard to top.

jr29
09-19-2019, 08:20 PM
The World 100 is the only one at this point.

4Barrel
09-19-2019, 09:02 PM
I've always been told the World 100, Dream 100, North South 100, and Dirt Track World Championship are the 4 crown jewels.

Barbecueboy
09-19-2019, 09:29 PM
The World .....The end.

Rocky
09-19-2019, 10:12 PM
There’s lots of races that I would love to go to that aren’t the World 100, the Prairie Dirt Classic, The North South, DTWC, The Show me,The World Finals, The Hillbilly, Maybe Knoxville, (rather go for the 410 Nationals) went to the Firecracker one year, the Dream another. If something is your local track’s showcase event, it can be your own crown jewel and certainly a point of local pride no doubt might even be a $5000 to win regional show. I love ‘em all. I just defer to the Granddaddy anymore.

1forthe$
09-20-2019, 01:57 AM
One thing that sticks out to me is this.. would winning that race make your resume?
Like when they announce Moyer, they always preficit it with 'the 6x World 100 Winner'.. Mr. Smooth Billy Moyer..

They only race that I can remember anyone consistently doing that about is the World 100.

But if there were other Crown Jewels to make an official list.. I would hope it to be no more than 5 total. If you just keep adding races it takes away from the others that are a lock.
1.World 100
2.Dream
3.Knoxville
4.North/South
5. Show-Me

On top of that, wouldn't it be kinda cool if someone made it official and made crowns for the winners and you got a jewel to add to your crown everytime you won? Each jewel be specific to its event. (like a globe looking jewel for the World..) Even make them and distribute them to the past winners. Maybe kinda cheesy.. but it be cool as a driver to have it sit in your trophy room or whatever as a talking piece.

RiffRaf67
09-20-2019, 07:06 AM
Not this again. We've had this discussion and there are 3: World, Dream and DTWC.
That is unless you listen to the lucas guys, then every event they have that pays more than 5K is a crown jewel and the lucas crown must have at least 20 of them by this point...
Wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard Essex say "crown jewel"

waaac77
09-20-2019, 07:21 AM
Yepo here we go again!

There's only one and it's the World. Especially since the meaning of the word or phrase is the one major event. Plus crown jewel is singular. That should tell you all you need to know.

I would say there are 10 races that all drivers/teams would really like to win more than any other race every signle year.

Show-Me
Dream
Silver Dollar
PDC
USA Nationals
North/South
Hillbilly
World
Knoxville
DTWC

These are the big 10. Everyone wants to be in victory lane at one of these races because it will solidify their career and put their names on a list with the greats. These 10 are all big races but everyone knows that if any driver could pick one race to win it would be the World 100 and that's what they all seem to say.

I am curious to hear what the drivers would say about this question. We've gone over this so many times and seen claims of a crown jewel everywhere and from everyone. Fans are a huge part, or maybe the part, of why racing exists just like any sport but this really doesn't seem like a question for the fans anymore. I think we need to hear from the drivers on this matter. We're all just speculating what we think the drivers think.

Rocky
09-20-2019, 07:23 AM
I don’t blame anybody for wanting a crown jewel or to say their race is. Laying a quarter million bucks on the line and having faith that the weather is good, that’s something right there. Lol

Bloomerdirtking
09-20-2019, 07:49 AM
IMO~~World 100, DTWC, North/South 100, Topless 100, Show-Me 100, The Dream, USA Nationals

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-20-2019, 08:10 AM
IMO~~World 100, DTWC, North/South 100, Topless 100, Show-Me 100, The Dream, USA Nationals

Isn't the show me basically a regular Lucas show now?

Bloomerdirtking
09-20-2019, 08:58 AM
It could be called that i guess since it has been moved to Forrest’s place now.

MRM
09-20-2019, 09:04 AM
I always thought a crown jewel race was a race that paid a lot of money that most drivers showed up to try to win. I think the term is used too loosely. And some races that used to be the ones where most drivers showed up can lose their status as a crown jewel if most drivers don't race in it any more.

dirtybird73
09-20-2019, 09:54 AM
The Show-Me 100 was a Crown Jewel when it was at West Plains. When they moved it to Wheatland and dropped the purse I think it lost it's crown jewel status and is just another Lucas race. The Dixie Shootout also used to be a Crown Jewel...when it was the H.A.T. Shootout. Now it's just another Lucas race. The Hillbilly used to be a Crown Jewel but over the years it seems to have lost its appeal for some reason. although it pays more to win...Now it's just another Lucas race. The Topless is in the same situation as the Hillbilly as it seems to have lost its appeal and is now just another (higher paying) Lucas race...

fryefan
09-20-2019, 10:15 AM
The Show-Me 100 was a Crown Jewel when it was at West Plains. When they moved it to Wheatland and dropped the purse I think it lost it's crown jewel status and is just another Lucas race. The Dixie Shootout also used to be a Crown Jewel...when it was the H.A.T. Shootout. Now it's just another Lucas race. The Hillbilly used to be a Crown Jewel but over the years it seems to have lost its appeal for some reason. although it pays more to win...Now it's just another Lucas race. The Topless is in the same situation as the Hillbilly as it seems to have lost its appeal and is now just another (higher paying) Lucas race...

The purse dropped BEFORE it left West Plains. It dropped when it became a Lucas Oil sanctioned race.

Regardless, of the major events that I have attended, it is definitely a crown jewel, as is the Silver Dollar Nationals, the USA Nationals, the Prairie Dirt Track Classic, the Knoxville Late Model Nationals, and the Dream and World 100.

NormP
09-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Some of you don't seem to realize that lots of crowns have more than one jewel. One jewel may be bigger or more valuable, but that doesn't mean the others aren't also jewels on the crown.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-20-2019, 12:04 PM
The purse dropped BEFORE it left West Plains. It dropped when it became a Lucas Oil sanctioned race.

Regardless, of the major events that I have attended, it is definitely a crown jewel, as is the Silver Dollar Nationals, the USA Nationals, the Prairie Dirt Track Classic, the Knoxville Late Model Nationals, and the Dream and World 100.

Cubic zirconia is a jewel too. Lol

dirty-white-boy
09-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Cubic zirconia is a jewel too. Lol

Dont forget to add the 50k to win CRATE race at VMS to the list. More entries than some of those so called "Crown Jewel" races!

chathamracefan
09-20-2019, 12:24 PM
PDC is new to the party, but with the bump up in purse to $30k in recent years & next year $50k, I'd say it belongs on the fringes of that conversation. Also, it draws one of the top 5 late model fields of the year behind Eldora (2) & DTWC & on par with several other crown jewel shows. 72 cars this year & probably north of 80 next year as long as it remains an off weekend for Lucas Oil.

mskdorf
09-20-2019, 12:28 PM
I will probably catch he11 for this but I have always considered the race tomorrow night in Brownstown to be a jewel. Granted the Jackson 100 isn’t what it used to be but it’s still one of my faves.

Mason87
09-20-2019, 12:35 PM
I definitely see pdc heading that way, with every thing they are doing along with the big money and great racing. Definitely a race I wanna make next year

dirt crow
09-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Possum Town Grand Prix and Tuckassee Toilet Bowl Classic. Case closed. Lol

waaac77
09-20-2019, 03:29 PM
PDC is new to the party, but with the bump up in purse to $30k in recent years & next year $50k, I'd say it belongs on the fringes of that conversation. Also, it draws one of the top 5 late model fields of the year behind Eldora (2) & DTWC & on par with several other crown jewel shows. 72 cars this year & probably north of 80 next year as long as it remains an off weekend for Lucas Oil.

The PDC is also great because a lot of local IL drivers are there competing against the big touring boys. There are 72 cars there and maybe 1 or 2 are slouches. You don't get locals at Eldora, Cedar Lake, Florence, etc...

TerryM
09-20-2019, 03:31 PM
I've always been told the World 100, Dream 100, North South 100, and Dirt Track World Championship are the 4 crown jewels.
These four are definitely crown jewels. It's pretty silly to suggest they aren't. Yes, the World 100 is the biggest event. No one disputes that. But to act like it's the only jewel in the sport is ridiculous.

Phatdaddy
09-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Used to be the you knew the Crown Jewels because those were the races that had a two-page spread in Mid American Auto Racing News. World, DTWC, Dream, Hillbilly, Show-Me, Nort-South, Jackson. Maybe Dixie & Cedar Lake. Times have changed !!

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-21-2019, 09:05 AM
These four are definitely crown jewels. It's pretty silly to suggest they aren't. Yes, the World 100 is the biggest event. No one disputes that. But to act like it's the only jewel in the sport is ridiculous.

When I was growing up, a Crown Jewel start had to be earned. They didn't give it to you for showing up at some sanction's race every week.

Of course, I also remember the Kings saying the N/S had nothing to gain from sanction and could stand on its own...

TerryM
09-21-2019, 09:34 AM
When I was growing up, a Crown Jewel start had to be earned. They didn't give it to you for showing up at some sanction's race every week.

Of course, I also remember the Kings saying the N/S had nothing to gain from sanction and could stand on its own...
Yep, I remember those days too.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-21-2019, 01:26 PM
How can Knoxville NOT be considered a crown jewel????

For Sprint cars? Yeah. It is the Crown Jewel.

MUD MAESTRO
09-21-2019, 02:43 PM
The Super Bowl.....The World Series.......Indy 500.......Daytona 500...... NHRA Winter Nationals.... and of course The World 100, Dirt Late models only Crown Jewel event but we all luv the rest.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-21-2019, 03:50 PM
The Dream means so much to the sport, it was cancelled in 2001.

dirt crow
09-21-2019, 05:32 PM
The Super Bowl.....The World Series.......Indy 500.......Daytona 500...... NHRA Winter Nationals.... and of course The World 100, Dirt Late models only Crown Jewel event but we all luv the rest.

Don’t forget the ncaa championship games and the masters. Lol

#FALSuperman
09-21-2019, 09:12 PM

Lucas hasn't scheduled against the PDC since WOO has taken over.
DOD has I believe 7 Crown Jewels listed now with the inclusion of PDC for 2020.

WORLD 100
DREAM
DTWC (LUCAS)
USA NATIONALS (WOO)
SILVER DOLLAR (LUCAS)
NORTH SOUTH (LUCAS)
PDC (WOO) **new for 2020**

Seems like a fair and balanced list (3 Lucas, 2 WOO, 2 Eldora), with all 7 paying out 50K+ for the winner.

fryefan
09-22-2019, 07:13 PM
NO, Late Models....Why isn't Knoxville considered a crown jewel for LATE MODELS??????

It is, without a doubt, a crown jewel.

waaac77
09-23-2019, 09:53 AM

I agree, no sanction, no provisionals which is why the world is THE one. No one gets a provisional into the Super Bowl or the Indy 500. You no qualy you no race cus you didn't earn it. I do believe that the US Nationals at Indy is the Crown Jewel for NHRA. That's all they talk about all year (not trying to open another can of worms just thought that was the case)