PDA

View Full Version : Front end aerodynamics

racinrocket1
10-10-2019, 06:57 AM
What's the deal with guys drilling holes in the left front headlight now. Are they doing it so the Right front gets more down force over the left front or are they doing it to get air to the radiator since now days most cars a completely sealed off in the front end. Also noticed most cars that have the holes drill are running a "wicker" on the filler panel in front of the hood so I figure it's all a down force deal

Jking24
10-11-2019, 12:54 PM
I think it unloads the left side. I believe alot if sanctioning bodies have outlawed it already. But when i seen it being done alot i feel like it was run covered early and open late

Krooser
10-12-2019, 10:22 AM
They outlaw holes because a holesaw is too expensive but you can run a $10,000 shock package and a $50,000 motor.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-12-2019, 11:01 AM
I think it unloads the left side. I believe alot if sanctioning bodies have outlawed it already. But when i seen it being done alot i feel like it was run covered early and open late

I think you are right, but I also think it's stupid. Never take away downforce to help handling. I once removed the spoiler to go faster. It worked. It was still stupid.

Krooser
10-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Too many fricken rules... you guys may know I'm struggling to get my old MB out on the track and our local DLM rules package is pretty good. I could never run with the fast guy at home but I'll do what I can and I'm good with that.

I'm so sick of seeing new regulations put into effect just because someone came out with one part/modification that may even HURT their performance on the track. Incredibly stupid IMHO.

Look at the WISSOTA rule book... 25 pages of rules and regulations BEFORE you to get to the first class rules. It took way too many politicians to write that book!

IMCA nailed me 35 years ago because the homemade chassis I was running on my modified had too long of a wheelbase. Dumb.

That's my "get off my lawn" rant for the day.

fastford
10-13-2019, 10:33 AM
and there is the conundrum krooser , have no rules and the deep pockets will surely dominate , to many rules , and just like nascrap , the deep pockets will have the greatest stuff that is within the rules ( crate racing ) and still dominate......