PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Charlotte

1forthe$
11-09-2019, 10:24 PM
Had a great time.. and what an event it is! My first time seeing the Big Blocks... wasnt overly impressed but to each thier own.
It was my son's first time seeing the Sprint Cars.. and wouldnt you know he won the drawing for Logan Schuharts helmet! That was cool.
The late models were pretty good, and the weekend as a whole was as much fun as I've had in a while. Maybe one of the funnest race trips ive ever been on. Me, my brother and our sons on a guys weekend. Glad we finally did it.

With all that said, I have to say it's still not Eldora. Some folks said it was better, but they were wrong (IMO). As much as the world Finals has to offer... it misses the electricity that's in the air at the World 100 or the Dream.

Now that Charlotte is checked off the bucketlist.. I think Knoxville is probably up next.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-09-2019, 11:35 PM
That bb mod race was good as the lead was swapped back and forth for multipal laps

WisWildManFan
11-10-2019, 06:47 AM
world finals is just a different experience with as much entertainment as there is outside track. For me it's hard to justify plane tickets and hotels after i've watched racing all summer long. Not to mention the weather is gamble, it was colder there than northern IL. I would also recommend the dome as a truly unique experience. I went to knoxville late model nationals a couple years back but I probably will try to go the sprint nationals next. Just not enough racing for me on saturday.

Barbecueboy
11-10-2019, 09:08 AM
And everyone there missed you.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-10-2019, 09:38 AM
We sure missed you! Prolly best that u didnt show how well you preform. World finals really doesnt need you either sorry

Mason87
11-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Obviously those obscene amount of cars didn't have a problem with the purse.

rdcllk
11-10-2019, 10:08 AM
A lot of crying in that one post. It to far, it's to cold, it doesn't pay enuff, there's to many cars. Not words of a true racer or fan. I'm sure nobody went cuz they thought Little Johnnie Huck would be there
Oneforthe$ Glad you guys had a great time

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Huck said it didn't make sense for his program. At least he didn't go then complain about the format or having to pass cars. Nor did he pull off the track when he was out of the money, "like a real racer".

JM15
11-10-2019, 10:40 AM
A lot of crying in that one post. It to far, it's to cold, it doesn't pay enuff, there's to many cars. Not words of a true racer or fan. I'm sure nobody went cuz they thought Little Johnnie Huck would be thereOneforthe$ Glad you guys had a great timeWe enjoyed the racing and the atmosphere. Had some big block fans and some sprint car fans around us. Had some good conversation. My only gripe is having to pay 5 dollars for a bottle of water and 7 dollars for a corn dog.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-10-2019, 10:54 AM
We enjoyed the racing and the atmosphere. Had some big block fans and some sprint car fans around us. Had some good conversation. My only gripe is having to pay 5 dollars for a bottle of water and 7 dollars for a corn dog.

I always thought the same w prices of food but i believe they pay a big fee to put there booth in there and have to make up for rent.

Mason87
11-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Wow you build decks awesome.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Huck said it didn't make sense for his program. At least he didn't go then complain about the format or having to pass cars. Nor did he pull off the track when he was out of the money, "like a real racer".When you pay them other guys bills you can tell them when to ride and burn their sh!t up and when to pull in.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Your last line is me. Working in the cold and getting paid is one thing, being in the cold for “fun” is another.

And the weather is hit or miss there.

ZERO25
11-10-2019, 05:53 PM
I was actually busy at the North America Deck and Rail Association nation deck competition walking away with 5 awards for the 5 projects I entered .... Those awards allow me to further increase margins .... Keep laughing while I laugh all the way to the bank ....

You could surely increase your racing margins if you invested in your program...….like a driving school!

Im sure Dale Mcdowell would give you a discount if you signed up for 30 days instead of the usual 7!

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-10-2019, 06:48 PM
When you pay them other guys bills you can tell them when to ride and burn their sh!t up and when to pull in.

I didn't tell them what to do. I pointed out hypocritical treatment of Huck. The whole economics of top level dlm racing is trash. It makes no sense. That is why people pack it in running 11th.

King1
11-10-2019, 08:00 PM
It's the only race I'm willing to spend $500 to attend each year. Plenty of racing, plenty of sights to see, it's cool to look at the other classes, cool to sit next to fans who are there to watch a different class. It's really fun to visit the cup team shops on friday morning and kill some time. It's fun to eat at Hooters after the friday night races to see which drivers act like jerks to the waitresses. It's fun to be in a town where they actually put races on the TV's in the bars and people are actually engaged in the race. Charlotte lives up to its name "America's home for racing"

Where I live, racing isn't widely accepted by the majority of the locals. It's a breath of fresh air to hang with people outside of a racetrack whom you have something in common with.

I havent been to eldora in 18 years and I was 13 at that time. I'm sure it's better now. But I just love the city of charlotte and what it has to offer to the race fan.

1forthe$
11-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Now that I had a 10 hour car ride to think about the weekend again... I think I would def do it again, if not for the 10 hr car ride. Maybe I'll luck into some cheap plane tickets or something in the future. I'm getting too old for that many miles in one day. Lol

WisWildManFan
11-10-2019, 11:55 PM
It's the only race I'm willing to spend $500 to attend each year. Plenty of racing, plenty of sights to see, it's cool to look at the other classes, cool to sit next to fans who are there to watch a different class. It's really fun to visit the cup team shops on friday morning and kill some time. It's fun to eat at Hooters after the friday night races to see which drivers act like jerks to the waitresses. It's fun to be in a town where they actually put races on the TV's in the bars and people are actually engaged in the race. Charlotte lives up to its name "America's home for racing" Where I live, racing isn't widely accepted by the majority of the locals. It's a breath of fresh air to hang with people outside of a racetrack whom you have something in common with.I havent been to eldora in 18 years and I was 13 at that time. I'm sure it's better now. But I just love the city of charlotte and what it has to offer to the race fan.You need to get back to the big E.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-11-2019, 03:26 AM
I didn't tell them what to do. I pointed out hypocritical treatment of Huck. The whole economics of top level dlm racing is trash. It makes no sense. That is why people pack it in running 11th.I agree with his views on racing usually, and yeah they are going overboard. But, with some of the stuff Jon has said, I see why they do it. Or I should say how he says it. But I get it’s just Jon and don’t get flustered.

Highside Hustler25
11-11-2019, 05:04 AM
Aside from the racing aspect, their is no better venue than the Charlotte dirt track for things to do if you are a race fan. As King1 said, the multiple race shops and museums there to visit can keep you busy for more than a day. And if you get there mid week, most cup teams practice their pit stops right there in their parking lot for anyone to watch. Their is so much to do there. One of my favorite events just because of all the extra curricular activities.

JM15
11-11-2019, 08:22 AM
I always thought the same w prices of food but i believe they pay a big fee to put there booth in there and have to make up for rent.I heard the same thing about the rent. If that's all I can gripe about, not too bad. Just need to eat a big meal before I go to the track i guess.

Dlmfan123
11-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Now that I had a 10 hour car ride to think about the weekend again... I think I would def do it again, if not for the 10 hr car ride. Maybe I'll luck into some cheap plane tickets or something in the future. I'm getting too old for that many miles in one day. LolI have some friends that fly in. They say it’s the way to go. But, I don’t mind a road trip

Snowmanracr21
11-11-2019, 10:39 AM
The big block mod feature was the best of all 3 on Sat night. And it was great to watch a championship unfold in both the mods and the sprint cars. I found the late model portion the worst of all 3 this year. Watching Donny Schatz and Brad Sweet battle each other for the championship was awesome racing. Brad drove the race of his life, especially after Donny passed him and he got back up on the wheel and passed him back.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-11-2019, 11:15 AM
The big block mod feature was the best of all 3 on Sat night. And it was great to watch a championship unfold in both the mods and the sprint cars. I found the late model portion the worst of all 3 this year. Watching Donny Schatz and Brad Sweet battle each other for the championship was awesome racing. Brad drove the race of his life, especially after Donny passed him and he got back up on the wheel and passed him back.

Yes I agree w your post snowman

Switchback29A1
11-11-2019, 11:57 AM
The purse for this event really is below average. It gets all the hype and exposure of a crown jewel, yet pays less than a regular weekend Lucas show. Especially when you factor in going thru 2 sets of tires in a night with the way the track is. These races could easily pay 15/20k to win with a good purse thru the field, but WRG is probably still counting all their money.

TUTY
11-11-2019, 09:57 PM
How do you figure? It’s $12,000 To Win for LM’s and Sprints and $8,000 for Big Blocks. Basically each night it’s $32,000 To Win and $2600 To Start. It’s a cheap 3 day pass so I don’t get what your talking about? I pay $35 to see a $10,000 or $12,000 Woo or Lucas show with Street Stocks and Hobbies.

Dlmfan123
11-11-2019, 10:27 PM
The purse for this event really is below average. It gets all the hype and exposure of a crown jewel, yet pays less than a regular weekend Lucas show. Especially when you factor in going thru 2 sets of tires in a night with the way the track is. These races could easily pay 15/20k to win with a good purse thru the field, but WRG is probably still counting all their money.There were still 60 somthin late models 50 sprints and 38 big blocks. Why would they change it. WRG is a business, the goal is to make money.

TUTY
11-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Spot on. 68 Late Models, 53 Sprints, 38 BB Mods, 159 cars total.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-12-2019, 10:43 AM
I don’t think they should change it. It’s three classes with good purses, and good car counts. Even for big blocks. So absolutely leave it.

jog49
11-12-2019, 05:13 PM
And as a few still fail to realize, they pay out a truckload of money over the three day event and three divisions. The food prices are somewhat outrageous but that's a byproduct of the vendors having to deal with a NASCAR style track owners where outrageous rents are the feature of the day. Had a friend who ran a successful souvenir business at the dirt track level who was quickly taught a lesson in a couple of years at Charlotte trying to be successful dealing with rents to which he was unaccustomed . In the last couple of years, the close by hotels/motels have begun gouging the fans of the Dirt Track as they always have done the NASCAR fans.

cooter71
11-12-2019, 09:53 PM
you can bring in beer and food of your own .. I like that about racing in the south.