PDA

View Full Version : Rocket XR1 vs. Longhorn

Hovlane
11-21-2019, 04:59 AM
Since Kevin Rumley designed the longhorn and the Rocket XR1. Can anyone point out the differences between the 2 chassis. I'm assume he didn't make them Identical. ,Like different front geometry, Just sorta of curious as to what he did differently on the XR1 than the longhorn.

PS I get bored and think about stupid things sorry.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-21-2019, 05:13 AM
Since Kevin Rumley designed the longhorn and the Rocket XR1. Can anyone point out the differences between the 2 chassis. I'm assume he didn't make them Identical. ,Like different front geometry, Just sorta of curious as to what he did differently on the XR1 than the longhorn.

PS I get bored and think about stupid things sorry.Dunno the differences, and no one has found in print or on video where there’s definitive proof that he did help with the XR1. Most think so, including me, that he helped. To credit him fully with the XR1 I think isn’t fair. Longhorn, I dunno. Earl was the only one in them. It is in print he fully redesigned the Longhorns.

I don’t think they are the same. Kevin still works closely with Longhorn. At least he did. Rocket, that’s all secret. Personally, my gut, they had Kevin help design the XR1 originally. And once they realized all the tools he was using at his disposal, they found other people to further tinker with it. That way you’re not sharing ideas directly with competitors.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-21-2019, 05:46 AM
CJ Rayburn was working on cars in the 70s too.

Burke1118
11-21-2019, 07:02 AM
Are you referring to the Longhorn that the public gets? Or the longhorn that JD, Tmac, and Rumley have? Not the same thing. Lol
The XR1 isn't innovative from a design or geometry perspective. It is more rigid than prior generations, and the body is hung on there a lot better. They are so successful because they are a refined machine. They have almost 10 years of notes of from hundreds of the same exact car racing all over the country. I don't think Rocket has ever been the innovators of the sport, but they are very successful because of the business model they have.
Seems the last 3-4 years everyone has been playing inside the sand box. Its about time for another rumley-type to come in and shake things up

Barbecueboy
11-21-2019, 07:30 AM
Earl wasn't the only one in them c and b ......he was just the highest profile driver early on.

Earl won the dtwc in the original pre rumley....Brad neat had them, Chris wall I believe had some of the early ones too, there were a few others regionally early on as well.

Kevin blew all that up and hit a home run with the changes and the rest is history.

Josh Bayko
11-21-2019, 08:05 AM
CJ Rayburn was working on cars in the 70s too.

The big difference there is that Mark Richards has always done what was necessary to adapt to the market. The same can't be said for CJ.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Are you referring to the Longhorn that the public gets? Or the longhorn that JD, Tmac, and Rumley have? Not the same thing. Lol
The XR1 isn't innovative from a design or geometry perspective. It is more rigid than prior generations, and the body is hung on there a lot better. They are so successful because they are a refined machine. They have almost 10 years of notes of from hundreds of the same exact car racing all over the country. I don't think Rocket has ever been the innovators of the sport, but they are very successful because of the business model they have.
Seems the last 3-4 years everyone has been playing inside the sand box. Its about time for another rumley-type to come in and shake things up

I'm pretty sure all the names you dropped don't have the same Longhorn.

fastford
11-21-2019, 08:30 AM
referring to post 2 , CnB , a new design only last until another builder gets one on his jig , bkoomer knew this and tried to protect his with his little agreement he tried to make when he sold one , but it didnt last long.......

obamaracing#1
11-21-2019, 08:59 AM
whats going in with the Rumley #6??? When is the last time it was seen racing?

Josh Bayko
11-21-2019, 09:49 AM
whats going in with the Rumley #6??? When is the last time it was seen racing?

The WoO World Finals. McCreadie drove it at a handful of non Lucas shows this past season. Most notably, he won the Firecracker in it.

Rsr fan
11-21-2019, 10:07 AM
The big difference there is that Mark Richards has always done what was necessary to adapt to the market. The same can't be said for CJ.Very true we all know CJ is hard headed but one thing to mention at last years UMP banquet Rusty Schlenk gave some great stats during his speech about winning in Rayburn based on how many cars is actually racing Rayburn had a higher win percentage .....CJ has always said strength is in numbers ....at this time Rocket seems to have the strength. Everyone should check out the new Domination race car I think it will be the next great race car chasiss!!!!

Burke1118
11-21-2019, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty sure all the names you dropped don't have the same Longhorn.Touche....

ZERO25
11-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Dunno the differences, and no one has found in print or on video where there’s definitive proof that he did help with the XR1. Most think so, including me, that he helped. To credit him fully with the XR1 I think isn’t fair. Longhorn, I dunno. Earl was the only one in them. It is in print he fully redesigned the Longhorns.

Actually, I seen the video. It was an interview with Mark and he admitted he had hired Rumley for some consultant work!

Rocky
11-21-2019, 04:46 PM
You can win a 17 Longhorn, nice, fast car. Tickets are $100, about 30 spots left. Micheal Batten on Dirt Late Models for sale on Facebook. Win it and tell us all about it. Car won I-95 challenge series championship in 2019. Not junk.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Hey man, you find it, that’s fine, till then we can all speculate that it’s true.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-21-2019, 07:42 PM
CJ Rayburn was working on cars in the 70s too.No comparison. You can’t be too stubborn to change. He was, and he lost what he built. He was every bit as big as Rocket, till he wouldn’t adapt.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-21-2019, 07:43 PM
referring to post 2 , CnB , a new design only last until another builder gets one on his jig , bkoomer knew this and tried to protect his with his little agreement he tried to make when he sold one , but it didnt last long.......Correct. Pierce with the XR1 and who knows who else. Bloomer, Blankenship and who knows who else. And so on.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Earl wasn't the only one in them c and b ......he was just the highest profile driver early on.

Earl won the dtwc in the original pre rumley....Brad neat had them, Chris wall I believe had some of the early ones too, there were a few others regionally early on as well.

Kevin blew all that up and hit a home run with the changes and the rest is history.Yeah, Neat was EPJ’s teammate.

I dunno about Chris Wall.

To be fair, they just weren’t any good till they let Kevin redo them.

dirtcrazy4u
11-22-2019, 05:43 AM
CJ was and he had all the big name guys in his leaf sprung cars. He just refused to listen to those same guys that the 4 bar drove better. You would have thought he would have caved but his stubbornness attitude wouldn't allow it. Is anyone biting on the sale of rayburn chassis ?

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-22-2019, 05:57 AM
CJ was and he had all the big name guys in his leaf sprung cars. He just refused to listen to those same guys that the 4 bar drove better. You would have thought he would have caved but his stubbornness attitude wouldn't allow it. Is anyone biting on the sale of rayburn chassis ?

I'm not sure I heard the actual business was for sale? There is no customer list or brand power to buy at this point. All you are buying is tube notching, bending, and welding equipment.

grt74
11-22-2019, 05:58 AM

funny there all using his front end

Burke1118
11-22-2019, 07:02 AM
funny there all using his front endWow CJ Rayburn invented independent front suspension? Wasn't aware of this.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-22-2019, 07:21 AM
funny there all using his front end

A blue grey was pretty much a direct copy. None of them are all that far from his design as far as basic layout.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-22-2019, 09:42 AM
And the guy you guys have decided invented late model racing, got ideas from drag racing. And there were other chassis builders in the South and the North.

The problem is he was stubborn. A great mind, great innovator, unwilling to change. And those still wanting to act like the cars haven’t changed since the early 80’s, well, ya got CJitis too.

Rocky
11-22-2019, 09:58 AM
CJ runs a Howe front end. I heard him say it in an interview. Mark Richards mentor was Ed Howe. All we’re doing is the same thing they are on blacktop. We’re just starting higher. It doesn’t matter at all to me who did what or when and where. Guys that are smarter than me figure it out. I use it. Engineered by geniuses to be operated by. ......

Rocky
11-22-2019, 10:05 AM
If I was buying a quad and I was picking between Polaris and Honda for example don’t get into the weeds on me boys. I know they’re both good, so I buy from the best dealer.

For me a Longhorn would be okay because North Carolina is close. If you’re in Grand Forks, North Dakota it’s 2 o’clock Saturday morning and you just wrecked a bunch of stuff and you’re down to your backup and not gonna be home for 3 weeks, who has the closest dealer?

Josh Bayko
11-22-2019, 10:36 AM
North Dakota?

Berck or Mars would be your best bet. Mars got MB Customs and he's also a Rocket dealer. Berck builds his own Missle cars, but I don't know that he sells them to other people.

Rocky
11-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Of course il Presidente would have the answer when I am pulling a random point on the continent out of my butt.

Barbecueboy
11-22-2019, 11:45 AM
So that was pretty funny.....get your point rocky, think josh took your post literal though....but gave stellar advice on it.

Bet the ratio with rocket vs longhorn in West Virginia is much larger than it is in the Carolina's for that very reason you described.

Josh Bayko
11-22-2019, 12:06 PM
So that was pretty funny.....get your point rocky, think josh took your post literal though....but gave stellar advice on it.

Bet the ratio with rocket vs longhorn in West Virginia is much larger than it is in the Carolina's for that very reason you described.

Almost everybody in my area runs Rockets. I tend to think a lot of it is because Shinnston is a straight shot down 79.

riddle28
11-22-2019, 12:37 PM
when did rumley start with them? i know in 2013 moyer sr had his "longhorn extreme" car there on display with a funky looking wrap

Rocky
11-22-2019, 02:56 PM
I live about 8 miles from the Carolina state line as the crow flies. Longhorn IS the local builder here.

SLIPPING SIDEWAYS
11-22-2019, 03:07 PM
North Dakota? Berck or Mars would be your best bet. Mars got MB Customs and he's also a Rocket dealer. Berck builds his own Missle cars, but I don't know that he sells them to other people.How does Berck or Mars having MB customs and a rocket dealer gonna help someone with a Longhorn 🤷(not a nice word)♂️

Josh Bayko
11-22-2019, 04:10 PM
How does Berck or Mars having MB customs and a rocket dealer gonna help someone with a Longhorn 路(not a nice word)♂️

He was asking which chassis company would have dealers in that part of the country.

Rocky
11-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Suppose I decided I was gonna buy me a Chinese Clone of the quad I wanted. Is the guy shipping them in from China gonna have Honda or Polaris’s dealer network? I am not comparing Longhorn to China.... but Rocket is bigger, they’re Honda, Polaris in this equation.

grt74
11-22-2019, 06:24 PM
A blue grey was pretty much a direct copy. None of them are all that far from his design as far as basic layout.

thats all i was trying to say, purple spindles, all you have to do is measure them you would see it, thanks masters, and yes even on the new stuff, not exactly they moved the uppers around but for the most part the same