PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Track Have a Credit Card Reader?

Late_Model_Mark
11-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Read a recent article from a motorsports publication stating the tracks that have credit card readers can increase business up to 34%. Does your local track take plastic?

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer

latemodelman
11-30-2019, 11:04 AM
I know eldora does but they charge $5. I think that if you cannot plan ahead and have cash on you thats sad. I know that at a track i always have cash who wants to pay a charge for using a card. Also what happens if your card does not read or the system goes down? Just a though.

WisWildManFan
11-30-2019, 11:07 AM
Rockford speedway does. Went down to Lasalle once with enough cash to buy 1 admission and planned on going in to use ATM for girlfriends admission if they didn’t take plastic. Lady told me ATM was broke and they don’t take cards for admission so went into town to gas station got cash came back. Then I walked by ATM to see a guy pulling cash out lol learned my lesson to have cash on hand. As far as taking a credit card I could see business picking up because most the country is running on credit card debt.

latemodelman
11-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Thats why alot of Americans have lost their homes and cars. Pretty sad to say the least. I was taught that you cannot live beyond your means of financially supporting yourself. What is soo funny is that using a credit card at the track and it rains out say after heat races you could challenge the charge on your card.

SLIPPING SIDEWAYS
11-30-2019, 11:41 AM
They say credit card reader but I'm guessing most are using a debit card account from thier bank. I think it was this year or last year the card reader was down at East Bay during speedweeks.

Shiny Side Up 18
11-30-2019, 12:07 PM
34 Raceway does.

HoosierDirtFan
11-30-2019, 12:43 PM
Plymouth Speedway in Plymouth, Indiana has a couple of them at the ticket booth and I believe 1 at the pit gate. Even though I've never used it. Always try to have at least $50-$60 on me for a regular local show at any race track I go to.

Barbecueboy
11-30-2019, 12:48 PM
I would never run a card at a track but a lot of young people do it for almost everything..as easy as they are to set up even at the remotest of areas can't see why most tracks wouldn't this day and time.

I have yet to pay for anything in a drive thru with a card but see it happen all the time from the 20 somethings ....young audience is what the tracks need right now....might as well have one.

Bob Hubbard
11-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Not paying income tax at the gate saves the track more than 34 % is my guess ....

Barbecueboy
11-30-2019, 01:27 PM
Forgot about that criminal aspect of it.......

Illtsate32
11-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Tri City and I 55 do I believe but like someone said it's a 5.00 charge at least. These card and atm fees are straight highway robbery...

Krooser
11-30-2019, 02:46 PM
Shawano has a card reader for tickets and concessions plus an ATM.

When I did my last hot rod events I used a Square Trade card scanner plus I had a guy bring in an ATM and he gave me $1.00 for every withdrawal from the machine... Up to $800 over three days.

clanton25fan
11-30-2019, 03:33 PM
Thats why alot of Americans have lost their homes and cars. Pretty sad to say the least. I was taught that you cannot live beyond your means of financially supporting yourself. What is soo funny is that using a credit card at the track and it rains out say after heat races you could challenge the charge on your card.

You do realize a lot of people use their debt cards that accesses their money they have in the bank? Get with the times.

clanton25fan
11-30-2019, 03:39 PM
I know Senoia doesn’t. Your track doesn’t either Mark. It would be nice if tracks gave the customer an option to use it if they want. Even if it does mean charging a fee.

Rocky
11-30-2019, 04:33 PM
I use a credit card for everything. Pay it off at the end of the month. If I need a loan, I get one. Plus I get cash back doing that.

To answer the question, no they don’t.

Dlmfan123
11-30-2019, 04:38 PM
My home track has an atm at the front gate, that’s it

hjr2
11-30-2019, 04:39 PM
LOL. They just added urinals at my home track. They might get credt card capability somewhere around 2100.

flagone
11-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Most card reader companies charge a premium to have their equipment. They can be temperamental as well depending on cellular and/or wifi availability. I know that is a reason many don't have them. The juice tends to be not worth the squeeze.

Jking24
11-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Most tracks are cash only because A racers prefer to be paid cash that night vs a check. B with all cash they cab control their profit and "loss" margins when they talk to their uncle Sam

Late_Model_Mark
11-30-2019, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the responses. Was very curious on who does and doesn't. It is a card swiping world it seems. I use cash for most non-grocery store purchases.

Late Model Mark

WisWildManFan
11-30-2019, 07:10 PM
I don’t like restaurants that are cash only. Pain in the a$$

fryefan
11-30-2019, 08:35 PM
Wait a minute....define " take plastic"???? I don't have any "credit" cards but use my "debit" card daily. There is a difference. If a track can be patient enough to wait for the 3-5 days for the money to be transferred to their account, they can see a boost in business. However, if they are cash dependent, I believe it hamstrings them & limits opportunities for growth.

There is a difference alright. Debit cards are a LOT more risky than credit cards. The majority of the people that I know that have debit cards have had them used by others and are out money, because of it.

Rocky
11-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Like I said, I use my credit card just like cash. If I can’t actually pay for it, it doesn’t go on the card. My old boss told me to do that 20 years ago. Amazingly I was listening to somebody at that point in my life.

Josh Bayko
11-30-2019, 09:45 PM
All three tracks I regularly attend accept cards at both gates. I still usually just pay cash though. It takes like 5 minutes to stop at an ATM on the way to the track and get cash.

kazual
12-01-2019, 07:24 AM
One of our home tracks does. May help their revenue and business but it makes for longer wait times while standing in line.

DLC
12-01-2019, 08:58 AM
I carry a credit and debit card with me all
the time.

BUT with all the card skimmers out there now
it just seams like a big risk to take at race track
on the weekends.

If I dont have the cash then I'll stay home.

I think that if a track takes plastic that they
should have a separate line for cash.
Plastic Just slows down the progress of getting through
the gate.

doyle hargraves
12-01-2019, 09:07 AM
I think using a debit card actually saves me money. If I’m going somewhere and I know I need cash I always have to get a little extra just to be safe and what I have left always seems to get squandered instead of put back in the bank. When I use my card I spend just what I need and the rest stays in the bank.

Krooser
12-01-2019, 09:19 AM
I get paid on my debit card....got my truck settlement payments from my carriers when I owned my own, too.

No reason not to take cards... I paid 3% to take a card...got my money same day.

Today I seldom carry more than 20 bucks. But I pay cash or use my debit card for everything...haven't have a credit card for 25 years.

DLC
12-01-2019, 09:25 AM
I think it might be a generation thing too.
Us (older) people prefer cash as to the younger
crowd preferring plastic.

I think that it time it will all be plastic,but not in
my life time.

Dlmfan123
12-01-2019, 09:31 AM
There are some people who aren’t carrying anything anymore. Paying straight from there cell phone

DLC
12-01-2019, 09:37 AM
I get paid on my debit card....got my truck settlement payments from my carriers when I owned my own, too.

No reason not to take cards... I paid 3% to take a card...got my money same day.

Today I seldom carry more than 20 bucks. But I pay cash or use my debit card for everything...haven't have a credit card for 25 years.

I found out a while back that I need to have a second
card or cash with me at all times.

Like I said I'm old and not very smart.
We went and bought a recliner a few months ago
and it said card declined.!!!
Tried it 3 times then tried wife's debit card also said
declined.!!!! So I used a credit card.
That was on a Saturday.
I called bank on Monday and was told that I had a $500
a day limit on the cards. I had no clue before this.
I told wife that we could have been in serious trouble if
we had been out of town and car had a serious break down.
And BTW bank said we can up your limit if you want.I said no
cause if I get Skimmed they can only get whats left of the $500
for that day.
Oh and while I had them on the phone I had them to set up
automatic text each time card is used I get a text which I thought
was kind of kool. LOL

Like they say you learn from mistakes.

Rocky
12-01-2019, 09:39 AM
My old boss would count as older folks now and I am 42. I am not exactly a pup. I pay cash for everything. I just do it at the end of the month. I don’t pay interest. If it’s cash only like my barber shop or the dirt track, I get some cash. I am a little bit blessed though that I have had a good job and can do that.

Late_Model_Mark
12-01-2019, 09:43 AM
I guess it is a age thing, I pay with cash. Maybe not for concession stand purchases, would it be a good addition to have a card reader only at the front gate?

Late Model Mark

Rocky
12-01-2019, 09:46 AM
VMS has one, but I don’t usually go there. I mean you can get a card reader for a cell phone. We have one for the association for selling swag.

formercrewguy
12-01-2019, 01:42 PM
I always carry lots of cash. I also carry a gun...………………….

King1
12-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Most big late model teams pay with a check at the gate. If I were a track, i would pay with a check.

A good CPA told me once. If you're running a legit business theres nothing that isnt worth writing a check. If you want to avoid taxes, I'll tell you how much you need to spend before the end of the year in order to keep from paying out a bunch in taxes.

That being said, I'm 32 and I've swiped a debit card for everything I've purchased since I was 20. I know what places dont take debit and I gladly withdraw from the atm at one of the many locations of my local bank on virtually every street corner.

JimBo
12-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Lucas Oil Speedway has a credit card reader on the pit side but not sure about the general admission side. Monett Speedway which be my closest track is cash only. I like paying cash for my entertainment but I use my debit card for most everything else. I also carry a credit card and plenty of cash, just in case.

d-glenn
12-01-2019, 07:31 PM
On the way to the track, stop by Wal Mart, pickup a 12 pack and pay with your debit card and you can get up to $100 back with no fees. I do it all the time...

Rocky
12-01-2019, 08:24 PM
I try and make sure I always have at least enough cash to get some gas. Usually a 20. Probably not enough. And of course a buck knife a flashlight a leatherman and ummm a method of dispatching game quickly and painlessly.... it’s got a picture of a really aggressive looking bird on it. I think it’s made by Hank Williams Jr....

tb1545
12-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Credit card/ debit card processers are a necessary evil in business in 2019. Do I get pissed thinking I could hire another fulltime employee or buy a brand new car every year from what my business pays in CC processing fees? Absolutely, but if you dont accept the payment types, someone else will down the road= lost business. Name another entertainment establishment that doesnt accept cards? Movies, concerts, bowling, heck the beer guys walking the isles at a sporting events even accept cards.
Had a local 20 yr old bar that didnt have a cc/debit processor, only an atm that charges $4 per use. In the 3 months since they put the processor in they are up over 20% in sales each month over last year. AND, the waitresses and bartenders tips are up ALOT more than that!

Theres still plenty of smart people that understand cash is always king. And there is still plenty of cash coming in for those that cloud up the water for uncle sam.

mcarter815
12-02-2019, 11:21 AM
I only carry cash on me during racing season because that's what I need at the track. Ideally, I'd pay for everything through card or phone. It's faster and easier than dealing with change.

weatherman85
12-02-2019, 03:31 PM
Dixie/Rome in Georgia allow you to pay with card at the gate. I think you can even use them now at the concession stand but don't quote me on that.

DirtPhantom
12-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Some of you may not be aware, but the days of having static credit card readers are well on their way out. Many small business owners simply use the cube scanner attached to their cellphones, slide the card and the amount is deducted, all the info is sent directly to your email instantly, easy as that! Really, there is no excuse for todays dirt tracks to not come out of the dark ages and offer their customers the choice to use plastic or cash. They should also offer the ability to scan your cellphone screen being used as a credit card to deduct money from whatever account you the paying customer once again chooses, credit card or bank.

ride height
12-13-2019, 07:19 PM
A credit card reader?...were lucky if there’s TP in the stalls, and running water to wash your hands,

STRONGERTHANDIRT
12-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Got that right!

castone
12-14-2019, 05:40 PM
My home track don't even have a phone, and on rain outs if you don't do the spacebook thang you are chit out of luck!