PDA

View Full Version : Devin Moran will never compare to Donnie!! Sad but true

hotpipes
02-07-2020, 06:09 PM
Simply will NOT get up on the wheel. It kills me to say it but he will always be a mediocre driver at best. No killer instinct. He seems happy to just be there. That "aw shucks" attitude won't cut it.

Highside Hustler25
02-07-2020, 06:35 PM
If you had seen him win the PDC, it doesn't get much more "up on the wheel" than that.

Stefan2k4
02-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Looked pretty good in the heat race just now, coming from 6th to 2nd.

MEE
02-07-2020, 06:43 PM
i dont think smith or marlar will send him a christmas card

hotpipes
02-07-2020, 06:45 PM
If you had seen him win the PDC, it doesn't get much more "up on the wheel" than that.

I did. And what happened??? He won. I have traveled the country watching this kid and will continue. I was hoping he would see this before the heat. National tv with limited sponsorship and unlimited talent...smash the floorpan!! He is one of the most consistent drivers out there if not the most consistent BUT certain times call for certain measures. Go 9!!!!!

153J
02-07-2020, 06:48 PM
at least he doesnt look like donnie out there having strokes behind the wheel at east bay

NeedforLMspeed
02-07-2020, 06:53 PM
What a dumb comparison and ignorant comment

Dlmfan123
02-07-2020, 06:55 PM
i dont think smith or marlar will send him a christmas cardGr door slammed the fuk out of him. He’s a wreckingball

Zonks32x
02-07-2020, 07:00 PM
How old is young Moran compared to Donnie when Donnie was on top of the game?

Mams
02-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Donnie was one of the best of all time. A lot of racers don’t measure up to Donnie.

heinen81
02-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Simply will NOT get up on the wheel. It kills me to say it but he will always be a mediocre driver at best. No killer instinct. He seems happy to just be there. That "aw shucks" attitude won't cut it.

And you will never compare to either of them, so theres that.... sad but true

hotpipes
02-07-2020, 07:36 PM
How old is young Moran compared to Donnie when Donnie was on top of the game?
Already older than donnie was during the beginning of his success. He won the all star circuit of champions like 4 times, stars 4 times and was running and running beside Swartz, Boggs, among others! He won the first 50,000 race years ago, he used to dominate the mile tracks in the Midwest, the short tracks and everything in between. And he ALWAYS owned his team and had little crew help outside of sister and brother in law.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-07-2020, 07:37 PM
How old is young Moran compared to Donnie when Donnie was on top of the game?Donnie started at about 16. He had his Dad and I think his Uncles drilling business behind him. At one time Ohio had some serious oil wells. He was well financed from the start and was pretty dang good right away. He was my favorite till his last few years.

Off the top of my head, at Devin’s age Donnie was winning big races.

It’s different times, better financed teams, though they have good stuff, and everyone has the good stuff. Instead of just a few.

I think Devin can be as good as anyone, gotta have the right people, the right financing, and experience. He’s getting there, it’s ridiculous for someone to compare him to his Dad right now.

Mams
02-07-2020, 07:59 PM
Who was Donnie’s crew chief for a few years. He was the guy that started Boss chassis which Donnie drove for awhile. Toma or something similar was his last name.

hotpipes
02-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Toma Johnson

Zonks32x
02-07-2020, 08:15 PM
Cnb fan & hotpipes...

Thank you for answering my ? Much appreciated.

Didn't realize Donnie was only 16 when he started.

Clayton_Wetters
02-07-2020, 08:17 PM
Donnie had a superior crew chief and car for several years that made him appear better than most at the time.

Somebody gonna like this post. hahahahahaaha :)

Rajflyboy
02-07-2020, 08:40 PM
Don’t put this kind of pressure on the young man. Let him find his way.

foxfire2dirtracing
02-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Devin could be driving a little on the preventative side since it’s just the 6th race of the year & they only have 2 cars-?? If that’s the case-pretty smart I would think.

Dlmfan123
02-07-2020, 10:57 PM
The dude that made this post is a joke it’s his first post on 4m, just running his jaws. Probably jealous. Who cares if Devin doesn’t end up being as good as his dad, his dad was a bad@ss

dirtcrazy4u
02-08-2020, 05:11 AM
Devan has looked pretty good in the 9 car so far. Much better than the Dunn Benson ride. I seriously doubt the lease a ride fiasco there trying to pull off is going to work. The car is not competitive. EPJ may do it, cause that pc of garbage he's in is not doing it. Stuckey better figure out something pretty quick.

chathamracefan
02-08-2020, 07:57 AM
Sounds fair. Let’s compare the kid to one of the top all time drivers. He has won a fair number of races including a big win at PDC. Maybe he won’t be his dad but not some bum either.

grt74
02-08-2020, 08:07 AM
today is a different animal, your not going to have as long runs winning, just the way it is today with phones and tech,
east bay really isn't something to judge off of, visit this at the end of march

back in dads day you could build something way ahead of everyone and win for awhile, jd did it for 2-3 years, brandon and rocket were good last year-it will be nice to see if they can keep up that pace, i do think its harder to do today, and I'm sure they are on a budget so he can't just kill a car or two ,(from his talking on video)

TS FAN
02-08-2020, 11:54 AM
Give Devon a good car and he will win his share. This comparison with his father is moot. Saw both of them their whole careers. Much bigger fan of Devon than his father, but he was certainly one of the best of his time.

hotpipes
02-08-2020, 01:38 PM
No, clown, I was a member back around 2000-2008 or so when there wasn't the nonsense that fills the board today. The point of this thread was that once again I have made the 3 week journey to Florida and he didn't get on the wheel in qualifying and I was hoping to somehow hit a nerve if he saw this since the kid has all the talent in the world and has always been consistent in times-really consistent- and the only other person I have ever watched with the lap consistency as him has been bloomquist (not a fan). I assume that is y bloomer said he had the best shot at being dominant in years to come. He keeps his car straighter than almost anyone and is constantly hitting his marks. Maybe this would have been better titled something to the effect of he needs to get up on the wheel like Donnie.

hotpipes
02-08-2020, 01:47 PM
Agreed; wholeheartedly. I just figure when u draw a #2 or #3 pill on live TV with only limited sponsorship and crew (wylie is top notch) it is the PERFECT time to get up on wheel and get exposure. Because as others have said- they all have top equipment. Bshepp has Richards but he does very very good in his own stuff too!! He gets on the wheel!!!

grt74
02-08-2020, 04:38 PM
No, clown, I was a member back around 2000-2008 or so when there wasn't the nonsense that fills the board today. The point of this thread was that once again I have made the 3 week journey to Florida and he didn't get on the wheel in qualifying and I was hoping to somehow hit a nerve if he saw this since the kid has all the talent in the world and has always been consistent in times-really consistent- and the only other person I have ever watched with the lap consistency as him has been bloomquist (not a fan). I assume that is y bloomer said he had the best shot at being dominant in years to come. He keeps his car straighter than almost anyone and is constantly hitting his marks. Maybe this would have been better titled something to the effect of he needs to get up on the wheel like Donnie.

I'm sure you could aways just buy one and show him how its done, lol

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-08-2020, 04:47 PM

You gotta be on the wheel to not get lapped these days. They ain't doing 21 second laps in the black slick at Eldora.

HIGH ROLLER
02-08-2020, 04:48 PM

Maybe u should consider not going to fl and go to work on the team and councelling devin so he can do better😉😉

Driver50x
02-08-2020, 06:20 PM
That slacker Devin just kicked some butt in his heat at East Bay. He drove right past Tim McCready and Jonathan Davenport.

hotpipes
02-08-2020, 06:27 PM
That slacker Devin just kicked some butt in his heat at East Bay. He drove right past Tim McCready and Jonathan Davenport.

Hahaha. Love it!!! Makes me smile. Ecstatic!!!! Seemed awful confident this afternoon. #attitude

Clump O Clay
02-08-2020, 08:18 PM
Yeah....also helps when his HoF father shows up in his pits today and helps on the car. He may be an imature man but don't think a forum post got him "up on the wheel".

TerryM
02-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Let me get this clear. There will never be a better dirt racing family than the Morans. I can give details, but I don’t need to on this forum, or any other forum. Donnie was the GOAT in his early years. Nobody in the history of the sport had more wins at that level, at that age. It’s not debatable. But the Moran family is even better than the driver. This thread is a joke.

Billy_the_kid
02-08-2020, 09:20 PM
I remember donnie won 50k at pennsboro during the day and won 40k that night at west Virginia motor. Pretty impressive.

Barbecueboy
02-08-2020, 09:20 PM
The wizard has spoken.....

hotpipes
02-08-2020, 09:57 PM
I remember donnie won 50k at pennsboro during the day and won 40k that night at west Virginia motor. Pretty impressive.
I remember that. I was probably 13 or so. He got a bonus too, I think. "Hundred Grand Moran"

Clayton_Wetters
02-08-2020, 10:43 PM
The wizard has spoken.....

Like we knew he would!!! :)

dirtcrazy4u
02-09-2020, 06:29 AM
Different times. Donnie went up against more capable drivers in his time. Chassis were a hole heck of a lot simpler, guys from his day were drivers. PERIOD. Today, you better have a good shock guy or your going backwards. A tire guy that really understands what air pressure does to your set up and tire management. Devan, and I said it after seeing him in the DB ride looked like he could care less. He's out proving a point. That DB ride is a pc of crap. He's been up on the wheel and has been impressive.

hotpipes
02-09-2020, 02:03 PM
Different times. Donnie went up against more capable drivers in his time. Chassis were a hole heck of a lot simpler, guys from his day were drivers. PERIOD. Today, you better have a good shock guy or your going backwards. A tire guy that really understands what air pressure does to your set up and tire management. Devan, and I said it after seeing him in the DB ride looked like he could care less. He's out proving a point. That DB ride is a pc of crap. He's been up on the wheel and has been impressive.
Thank you!! A sensible response. I will say this and then disappear for a while longer- I was at Eldora when every car there (was on 4 bar and donnie was running leafs. Guess what happened.... He whipped their ass. I really wasn't trying to sell him down. Probably worded it wrong but I get emotional. He is the ONLY driver I follow so close. He has all the talent in the world. Just needs the funding so he can get on the wheel all the time.

Jed
02-02-2022, 02:02 PM
This didn’t age well, did it?

Raceready
02-02-2022, 02:59 PM
HUNDRED GRAND Donnie Moran - MILLION dollar man DONNIE MORAN !!!

Rajflyboy
02-02-2022, 03:07 PM
Great find. Ha ha ha. Boy do things change. 😁

Raceready
02-02-2022, 05:34 PM
I remember donnie won 50k at pennsboro during the day and won 40k that night at west Virginia motor. Pretty impressive.Also I believe that he had won a $10,000 to win race on Friday night of that weekend, Hence the name Hundred Grand Donnie Moran.

Rajflyboy
02-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Great stuff on Donnie 👍👍👍

Barbecueboy
02-02-2022, 06:07 PM
Do any of us really compare to our dads???? Really?

Team Devan and Wylie have firmly placed themselves into the top 10 teams in the country category IMO….probably better than that right now …..I love it and to be honest was not/ am not a huge Fan of dad. No particular reason, just not ever one of my favorites.

I read this thread title and said dam that’s about stupid to say…..and then remembered how many stupid things I’ve said and totally understood.

kidrock
02-02-2022, 06:25 PM
Not sure why have to compare them. Devin's a good driver in his own right and he's good for the sport.

Buford.Justice
02-02-2022, 08:33 PM
I think Devin is actually the better driver of the two.

Raceready
02-02-2022, 10:22 PM
You could very well be right with this.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-02-2022, 10:42 PM
post#45
Bbqboy
Blackie and litey do!

powerslide
02-02-2022, 10:52 PM
He should start a new thread and ask if the Moran family can sweep the Million dollar shows at Eldora

dirtcrazy4u
02-03-2022, 05:27 AM
The 9 team will do just fine. After florida there going to pick and choose and they will pick up there share of the wins. It only shows to me, you have another team that does not have the resources to follow a tour and in there picking and choosing they are usually one of the better prepared cars when they show up to race.

Can you compare him to his dad ? O he'll no, I doubt if donnie could wheel one of today's cars. I also doubt Devin could do what he does today in the cars and competition of when his dad drove.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-03-2022, 06:10 AM

He's definitely the more of a technician behind the wheel. Devin has been racing long enough that he's driven non wedge late models and today's wedge cars with stupid downforce and much improved geometry from the wedge cars Donnie drove. I feel like Devin can win more ways than Donnie could.

TerryM
02-03-2022, 07:25 AM
Do some research and see what Donnie was doing at 18 years old, 19, 20, etc. He had a Hall of Fame career before he turned 25. Devin is 27 and just now settling into a HOF career himself. In my years interviewing drivers, I never heard a single negative word about Donnie. You’ve been hating on him for 20 years. Why is that? Different political views?

TerryM
02-03-2022, 07:28 AM
He's definitely the more of a technician behind the wheel. Devin has been racing long enough that he's driven non wedge late models and today's wedge cars with stupid downforce and much improved geometry from the wedge cars Donnie drove. I feel like Devin can win more ways than Donnie could.
Donnie was the first driver I ever heard say the term “feathering the throttle”. The only thing that slowed him down was raising a family.

Pennsboro32
02-03-2022, 07:48 AM
How are you guys forgetting how good Donnie Moran was?

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-03-2022, 08:21 AM
How are you guys forgetting how good Donnie Moran was?

He was really good. He was almost unbeatable for a time on big race tracks. That was a different era where you had more guys beat before you took the car out of the box.

I'm sure my memory is a little shaded by how bad he was the last several years he raced though.

Buford.Justice
02-03-2022, 11:19 AM
He was really good. He was almost unbeatable for a time on big race tracks. That was a different era where you had more guys beat before you took the car out of the box.

I'm sure my memory is a little shaded by how bad he was the last several years he raced though.

His wedge cars were superior too almost any for several years. Toma gets much credit for the setups thats allowed Moran to win so much. When UMP was formed that all went away. And Toma was gone.

Rajflyboy
02-03-2022, 11:34 AM
We went to the Collossal 100 in Charlotte and Donnie was wicked fast in the feature. He gave Bloomquist all he could handle

zer018
02-03-2022, 11:47 AM
His wedge cars were superior too almost any for several years. Toma gets much credit for the setups thats allowed Moran to win so much. When UMP was formed that all went away. And Toma was gone.

Donnie’s brother in law, JC was before the Toma Johnson time when Donnie was at his best. In my opinion, I think Devin has way more finesse than Donnie had in his career. Donnie was never afraid to slide or pinch other drivers off at any given time.

raburke23
02-03-2022, 12:40 PM
Never heard a bad word about Donnie Moran, really? I mean, he might be a nice guy, but on the track he was very controversial. He would beat and bang and run people over to win. He had his haters because of his over aggressive driving style. Devin is extremely likeable and smooth and considerate on the track. I never rooted for Donnie, but I root for Devin. They couldn't be more polar opposites on personality and driving style though.

riddle28
02-03-2022, 12:50 PM
i didnt like him when he first started touring but the last few years and how nice he was to us at eldora i like seeing him have success. i wouldnt mind seeing him win the million in june

zer018
02-03-2022, 01:17 PM
Never heard a bad word about Donnie Moran, really? I mean, he might be a nice guy, but on the track he was very controversial. He would beat and bang and run people over to win. He had his haters because of his over aggressive driving style. Devin is extremely likeable and smooth and considerate on the track. I never rooted for Donnie, but I root for Devin. They couldn't be more polar opposites on personality and driving style though.

I couldn’t agree more!

kidrock
02-03-2022, 05:46 PM

I haven't heard that in awhile. Where they had the guys beat before taking the car out of the box or even off the trailer for that matter. I remember my dad telling me the story of his friends buying a race car. They took it home so, their dad could see it and he he said boys that car won't go around the track without some major changes. Hence beating them before they took the car off the trailer. He said we're going to beat them starting right here.

Rajflyboy
02-03-2022, 06:21 PM
Donnie cleaned house around Pittsburgh when I was a kid. He won a lot when he came to town.

Drop Shock
02-04-2022, 01:51 AM
Saying Donnie Moran was bad is laughable. Obviously he was not as good as he was in his prime, but who is?? We’re seeing it right now with Scott, saw it with Moyer, Freddy Smith etc. Donnie Moran’s prime was 100% a top 5 all time Dirt Late model career and you could make the case for #3 behind Bloomquist and Moyer. Won the Million, 4 Worlds, USA nationals, North/South, Hillbilly, Pittsburgher, and who knows how many STARS and other big regional races over a 30 some year career, hell I even saw on Facebook where he won a $30,000 to win race at Log Cabin when he was around 20 years old. I saw Donnie win the inaugural World Finals close to the end of his career, saw him win that big 30,000 to win at Tyler County, he was still getting it done at the end of his career

dirtcrazy4u
02-04-2022, 05:25 AM
And then along came a guy named Jeff pervis.

Raceready
02-04-2022, 07:59 AM
His wedge cars were superior too almost any for several years. Toma gets much credit for the setups thats allowed Moran to win so much. When UMP was formed that all went away. And Toma was gone.Also kudos to Ray and Brett Callahan of BULLITT CHASSIS !!

Buford.Justice
02-04-2022, 11:58 AM
Also kudos to Ray and Brett Callahan of BULLITT CHASSIS !!

Yes sir, that was a real big part of it.