PDA

View Full Version : Racers From the Past

racincowboy02
03-11-2020, 04:51 AM
I know this probably gets talked about a lot but I have ran across some old pics of cars and drivers that I have heard from in a long while. Eric Jacobsen, Billy Ogle Jr, Scott James, Tom Kerr I think that was his name it was a yellow and black 4T car, Steve Smith are just a few that I have ran across pics of here recently

TerryM
03-11-2020, 04:55 AM
There are literally dozens and dozens of accounts on Facebook in which people contribute nothing but photos of race cars from the past. I highly recommend following them.

racincowboy02
03-11-2020, 05:00 AM
Yea I do and that's what got me to wondering what the drivers are doin now

JabberJaws83
03-11-2020, 05:33 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/cKMwTSy4/767-CF99-F-D024-473-B-A3-F6-1866-AFF026-BB.jpg (https://postimg.cc/cKMwTSy4)

Scott James ready for 2020

racincowboy02
03-11-2020, 05:42 AM
Where does he race around his home area or does he travel some too

HoosierDirtFan
03-11-2020, 05:51 AM
Where does he race around his home area or does he travel some too

Well James lives in southeastern Indiana and for the most part that is the region he races in. He does hit some big races though.

HoosierDirtFan
03-11-2020, 05:52 AM
Heck what about Garrett Durrett & Damon Eller?

weatherman85
03-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Eric’s cross country grind got too much and he sold everything. He lives in California were his family and family business is. Was flying back and forth to TN just to race. Said he may return one day driving for someone or a similar situation but hasn’t raced since selling out to my knowledge.

weatherman85
03-11-2020, 08:24 AM
I believe Donald Macintosh is in the ride that Tommy Kerr used to have. Billy Ogle jr also drove it for a bit if I recall correctly but not sure what he’s either Tommy or Billy are doing now.

Dlmfan123
03-11-2020, 08:52 AM
Tommy Kerr raced with woo at Smokey mountain this weekend. He races locally down there in a 2nd Blount Motorsports car I’m pretty sure

foxfire2dirtracing
03-11-2020, 09:02 AM
You are correct. Tommy is employed by Larry Garner (Blount Excavating) which is the owner of Blount Motorsport. Tommy cut back his racing a few years ago to spend more time with family. He drives the 4T car which is a team care to the #7 of McIntosh.
Billy Ogle Jr. is battling serious health issues. Steve Smith still races locally in the #3 car.

foxfire2dirtracing
03-11-2020, 09:29 AM
Speaking of Steve Smith: how many people remember him finishing 2nd to Donnie Moran in the Eldora Dirt Million ? He won 50k for second place in the CJ Rayburn Chasis. Very-very likeable/friendly person.

dirt33
03-11-2020, 10:41 AM
That Scott James car looks pretty sharp.

zyoung25
03-11-2020, 11:04 AM
Garrett is partnered with another guy and they own this.

http://cedarridgeaviation.com/services-view/heli-hog-hunts/

B_K
03-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Speaking of Steve Smith: how many people remember him finishing 2nd to Donnie Moran in the Eldora Dirt Million ? He won 50k for second place in the CJ Rayburn Chasis. Very-very likeable/friendly person.

Was running Moran down the last ten laps or so too.

Clayton_Wetters
03-11-2020, 01:20 PM

I do, and he was gaining ground at the end.

foxfire2dirtracing
03-11-2020, 01:40 PM
Would have been really cool if a local racer like Steve could have won that race and the $$.
Upset of the racing world to say the least. CJ helped Steve a lot because Steve was extremely loyal to the Rayburn Chasis for many years. He is as nice of a guy you would want to meet! Been following him for 40 years all the way back to his pearl white #14 car. Races now around East Tennessee when the support & $$ allow. If you ever get a chance to say hello to him- do so- very humble/ down to earth guy.

B_K
03-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Would have been really cool if a local racer like Steve could have won that race and the $$.
Upset of the racing world to say the least. CJ helped Steve a lot because Steve was extremely loyal to the Rayburn Chasis for many years. He is as nice of a guy you would want to meet! Been following him for 40 years all the way back to his pearl white #14 car. Races now around East Tennessee when the support & $$ allow. If you ever get a chance to say hello to him- do so- very humble/ down to earth guy.

Been around Steve a bunch of times including in the pits that night at Eldora. He was a friend of the guys I grew up going to the races with. A good dude for sure.

Dirt Clod
03-11-2020, 05:06 PM
TerryM,

You make a great point. Facebook has several great private groups that do nothing but post old historical racing photos and comments. The people that post and comment are not into all the social media talk. They just post photos and the knowledgeable racing fans make great comments. You can find these groups for multiple regions around the country, I am sure.

Clayton_Wetters
03-11-2020, 07:02 PM
pinterest.com has tons of old cars and new. Dirt and asphalt.

https://www.pinterest.com/james_michaels8/dirt-racecars/

BigA201
03-12-2020, 11:29 PM
What is going on with Billy Ogle? He is my all time favorite

foxfire2dirtracing
03-13-2020, 08:29 AM
Let’s just keep it as health issues. One of his aunts is caring for him.

Barbecueboy
03-13-2020, 04:26 PM
I hate to hear that for Billy........he was always cool to talk to in the pits and always seemed appreciative of his opportunity to drive a Slm.

If anyone knows him first hand and or gets a chance to talk to him or his aunt first hand please pass along prayers and let him know people care and hope he gets to feeling better.

foxfire2dirtracing
03-13-2020, 05:37 PM
BBQ:
Clean out your pm,s

3 wide
03-13-2020, 06:54 PM
Well if you want to talk about the past you could go to Boyd's on Friday night in the late 70s an see Charlie Hughes,Doug kenimer,Billy Thomas,Snooks Defoor driving for Bob Wright,Ronnie Johnson just starting out,Charlie Mintz,Buck Simmons he drove for Bob Wright too all these plus more on any Friday night.You know Charlie Hughes an Doug Kenimer both won the World in the 70s.

B_K
03-13-2020, 07:38 PM
Well if you want to talk about the past you could go to Boyd's on Friday night in the late 70s an see Charlie Hughes,Doug kenimer,Billy Thomas,Snooks Defoor driving for Bob Wright,Ronnie Johnson just starting out,Charlie Mintz,Buck Simmons he drove for Bob Wright too all these plus more on any Friday night.You know Charlie Hughes an Doug Kenimer both won the World in the 70s.

Back to back years. 39 FOREVER!

foxfire2dirtracing
03-13-2020, 08:39 PM
I remember those guys as well. Also when the cars started to change from 55-57 bodies going to falcons & Chevy ll’s- one night at the old Davey Crockett Raceway in Rogersville, Tn. Ronnie Johnson showed up in his #5 with a Corvair body on his car. It looked so radical - the locals tried to say it was illegal. Can’t remember if he won that night or not- but it was bad fast & sure looked different.

3 wide
03-13-2020, 08:49 PM
That was the first car Ronnie had he bought it from Mike Head I don't remember that race track I do remember the one at Newport.

foxfire2dirtracing
03-13-2020, 09:14 PM
Davey Crockett was just west of Rogersville, Tn. about 1/4 mile past the existing Cherokee Dragstrip. Just off the old 2 lane Hwy. 11-W. Best racing red clay I have ever seen anywhere. They races from early March till November cold would set in. When Volunteer Speedway was built in Bulls Gap the 2 tracks agreed to alternate between Friday & Saturday nights on rotating weeks. After a short time Volunteer owner/builder decided to race only on Saturday’s and this was the eventual closing of Davey Crockett. Since that time Volunteer has removed red clay from the Davey Crockett Track on numerous occasions. Hated to see it go -but facility wise it compared to the “old” fairgrounds racetrack in Newport. When Volunteer opened in 1974 it was like the White House compared to an outhouse facility wise.

One Man Gang
03-13-2020, 09:44 PM
That was the first car Ronnie had he bought it from Mike Head I don't remember that race track I do remember the one at Newport.
What about the asphalt track at Newport is it still open or has it been closed down ?

foxfire2dirtracing
03-13-2020, 10:19 PM
The asphalt track hasn’t been opened in a couple of years. It was originally built as a dirt track some years after Volunteer was built. Quite a bit longer straightaways than Volunteer. It was fairly successful but at that time East Tennessee was over saturated with dirt tracks. Seems like the builder of the “new” Newport Track was a guy named Moore. He was a county official in some way (maybe road superintendent) anyway county equipment & materials were partially used to build it. There was a big stink over it & it was sold to a guy named Drew from California. It went from dirt to asphalt & during this time he opened a junkyard on the property & the junkyard eventually took over the entire area of the Track including outside pits & spectator parking. It has attempted to reopen several times over the past few years -but with no luck. It was a very nice facility & Track when first built- but no repairs were made as the facility aged & weather tools it’s toll. The junkyard became the primary business with the track just a sideline.

golddirt
03-14-2020, 05:39 AM
Do you guys really have me curious about billy ogles health condition as I have not heard about this prior to now

Hustle2win
03-14-2020, 10:08 AM
Billy is fine.His father recently past & bill owned lots of rental homes & apartment communities in knoxville.Billy is now overseeing all of that.In fact he is currently living in his father's old house.Unless something has changed in the past 3 months Billy is just really busy with work.Billy has never owned his race cars he has always drove for somebody the past 30 years.Theres just not any rides out there like they used to be.

foxfire2dirtracing
03-14-2020, 10:36 AM
Glad to hear things are better for Billy these days.

AllenK
03-14-2020, 01:34 PM
Was running Moran down the last ten laps or so too.
Yes,he was. I remember him saying "Hey, 50 thousand dollars is a lot of money" in the post race interview. He was tickled to run 2nd and get that payday,but you know he would've liked to see another caution.

3 wide
03-14-2020, 02:45 PM
CJ could set one up to run eldora if Jeff purvis had listened to CJ he would be the only one too win eldora 3 times in a row.

golddirt
03-14-2020, 03:38 PM
Thanks Hustle

Barbecueboy
03-17-2020, 09:49 PM
Where were they when they did the Jack Boggs interview they have on dirt on dirt? What track?

zyoung25
03-18-2020, 06:25 AM
I think that interview came from www.dirtstation.com

The track looked like the old atomic in Tennessee.

Dirt station has a pretty good collection of new and old races. 3 month sub is like $26 and a yearly is $70 I believe. It might be the only way us dirt heads will get our fix in the coming month sadly. I normally get it in the winter to pass some time on those snowy or dreary days.

Jackie sure does look like his dad the older he gets.

dirtybird73
03-18-2020, 06:26 AM
Where were they when they did the Jack Boggs interview they have on dirt on dirt? What track?

Atomic Speedway in Tennessee

validwithoutphoto
03-20-2020, 10:08 AM
Billy Ogle Jr is doing great....has been for the last couple of years. He lost his Dad, Bill Ogle Sr, in March 2019 to a very rare an extremely aggressive thyroid cancer. Billy and his sister took care of him everyday until he was called home. Billy moved in with his Dad once he was diagnosed...so he, his sister and his life partner were with him 24/7. Billy did have hip replacement surgery on his right hip Jan 2020 and his mother took care of him. He is no longer in any pain. Billy Ogle Jr is doing very well!

validwithoutphoto
03-20-2020, 10:23 AM
Billy Ogle Jr is doing great....has been for the last couple of years. He lost his Dad, Bill Ogle Sr, in March 2019 to a very rare and extremely aggressive thyroid cancer called Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer. Billy and his sister Kristi took care of him everyday until he was called home. Billy moved in with his Dad once he was diagnosed in Jan 2018. Billy, his sister and his life partner were with him 24/7. Billy did have hip replacement surgery on his right hip Jan 2020 and his mother took care of him during that time. Billy is no longer in any pain. Billy Ogle Jr is very busy and is doing very well! 🙏🏼

B_K
03-20-2020, 10:25 AM
Good to hear. Always liked how he raced and he’s a good wheelman as well.