PDA

View Full Version : Rules Limitations on Engines

DLM06
03-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Watching an east coast modified event on MAV and they said that the engines are limited by using a chip to limit rpm. Just curious what are the thoughts on this. Would it hold down LM engine costs or maybe have the opposite effect as engine builders come up with expensive work-arounds? Seems like it would be fairly easy to tech.

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-20-2020, 06:00 AM
Watching an east coast modified event on MAV and they said that the engines are limited by using a chip to limit rpm. Just curious what are the thoughts on this. Would it hold down LM engine costs or maybe have the opposite effect as engine builders come up with expensive work-arounds? Seems like it would be fairly easy to tech.

It seems pretty pointless to me, unless you are forced to run an engine with suspect valvetrain or there are huge advantages to small cube screamers in that class.

fastford
03-20-2020, 09:19 AM
or a track has a favorite driver , wink , who is to say when danica won the poll at daytona , that nascar didnt slide her a computer with 20 extra hp in it ? chip and computer racing is what kills racing to me.....JMO...

CCHIEF
03-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Big blocks in ECM, correct? Don't know their engine rules. Not a road I want to go down in true touring super lates. It's the local races.. on early and hooked up tracks, that have been infiltrated by wide bore engines ruining your local weekly racing deals. FF.....NASCAR, ain't nobody got time for that! Grins

matt_s86
03-20-2020, 01:06 PM
That was a DIRTcar 358 race they were showing the other night. They run a spec MSD box set at 7600 RPM. The crate class (602) also runs a mandatory 6000 RPM chip. Big Block has no chip rule.

Krooser
03-26-2020, 09:18 PM
IMCA runs chips in all classes iirc. That's the only reason those crate motors live so long.

A 7500 chip rule in DLM's would increase engine life by a bunch. Back in the day my driver ran our FE 427's five years without a teardown by keeping revs down to 6,000 rpm.

let-r-eat
03-28-2020, 05:08 AM
An rpm limit rule would save $$ for sure