PDA

View Full Version : There Are Some Bright Spots in the Midst of Racing Shutdown

Returning to Dirt
03-26-2020, 10:08 AM
https://insidedirtracing.com/there-are-some-bright-spots-in-the-midst-of-this-racing-shutdown/

This outbreak has definitely created some challenges for the racing industry but there are some bright spots as well

Barbecueboy
03-26-2020, 12:05 PM
In another thread about racing by Easter I was just informed there isn't any happiness in all of this....anywhere.

And that anyone that finds happiness in anything now a days is just paranoid.....no really, those words were written by a hawk eye scholar that has built furniture out of the cases of toilet paper he hoarded.

Clayton_Wetters
03-26-2020, 02:44 PM
Hope he doesn't get any of that furniture wet. :)

nc mudcat
03-26-2020, 09:42 PM
Some of you couldn't find a bright spot in a chandelier. There are always bright spots if you are willing to look.

B_K
03-27-2020, 12:52 PM
Last night my wife, my daughter, and I played basketball in the driveway against my parents. We’d done that exactly zero times before then. The night before my daughter and I went outside to run hills together to get exercise and then my wife joined us we threw a blanket down and looked at the sky using the star gazer app. Tonight we’re roasting marshmallows and camping in the backyard. I’ve always known I’m blessed to have this life, but it hit me how much I miss getting caught up in stuff that doesn’t matter at all.

I’ll gladly welcome the return of racing, sports, and normalcy when it comes, and I hate that it took chaos and people’s hurting for me to fully appreciate everything I’ve been given. If nothing else I’ve learned I’m lucky as hell to have these people to love and be loved by. I hope I don’t start to forget that one bit going forward.

Money, houses, and all that are great, but it’s just stuff. True happiness is a blue eyed six year old snuggled up excitedly showing you the Big Dipper. I can’t wait to roast those marshmallows.

Thoughts and prayers to all those effected by this. Chin up, fight hard, love harder. We’ll get through this.

Mud Packer
03-27-2020, 12:56 PM
The best post on 4m in a very long time. Enjoy the family time and especially the marshmallows.

BloomerWon
03-27-2020, 02:16 PM
First class post B_K! Humbling...

SlidinDirty
03-27-2020, 02:16 PM
B_K this is easily the best thing I've ever read on 4m. Brings a large smile to my face.

Good on you, sir. Let us know how those marsmallows turn out.

AllenK
03-27-2020, 04:24 PM
That is an awesome post.

One Man Gang
03-27-2020, 04:28 PM
Think I’m going to buy me a couple Redbones and treeing walkers and start back coon hunting.

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-27-2020, 05:03 PM
I enjoyed the read, BK. Have fun appreciating the small stuff.

foxfire2dirtracing
03-27-2020, 05:15 PM
BK
Awesome post! You hit the nail on the head!
I miss my grandchildren & 1 3 year old great-grandson. I am 63 & have heart issues- heart attacks, open heart surgeries and those things. The kids are still working every day & around lots of people. They & the grandkids are at risk to being exposed. Thank goodness for face time.
I look forward to things getting somewhat normal sometime soon. God bless each of you here on 4M

dirtfan22
03-27-2020, 07:08 PM
Great post Billy! We all miss racing but there are more important things!

JimBo
03-27-2020, 10:30 PM
Well done BK thank you!

TBSprintFan
03-28-2020, 03:42 AM
Thanks BK for the excellent post, yes there is a lot more to life than phones, televisions, politics, and even racing.

turnleftandgasit
03-28-2020, 07:00 AM
All that is fine and dandy if you are geared for that sort of thing. I spent 20 years in a semi to get away from all that.

kidrock
03-28-2020, 07:05 AM
GREAT POST BK, I nominate this for post of the year, drop the mic!!! Hope your having a great time with the family and thanks for letting us all realize what you said!!

Driver50x
03-28-2020, 07:12 AM
That’s awesome BK. I think you’ve talked me into a bonfire for tonight, lol!

spooze56
03-28-2020, 07:36 AM
It's a shame it took a pandemic to open up our eyes...awesome post!

B_K
03-28-2020, 09:18 AM
I really had no intention to write that. Just started typing and it kind of fell out.

Marshmallows were great. We called an audible on the camping as the pollen is working all of us over currently, but that 85 degrees felt pretty good yesterday. Watched Frozen 2 (again) I’m liking it as much as the first one now which is to say not at all.......

What’s new Brett?

dirtfan22
03-28-2020, 05:40 PM
Billy,
Just catching up on some jobs around the homestead that have been needed to be done! My 12 year old son Nathan and I did venture down to Smoky Mountain for the WOO race. It was a good one! Maybe I’ll see you in the foreseeable future at a race. Been wanting to get back down to NGA for a race as it has been quite a while since I’ve been there. Keep safe!

B_K
03-28-2020, 06:28 PM
My dad and I went to the Hangover at 411. Decent show for a day race. They run a good program.
That’s the last race I’ve been to. Didn’t make it to NGS the other night when Hedge(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) broke the track record. If you head down this way let me know, we’ll catch up.

Late_Model_Mark
03-28-2020, 06:33 PM
Great post BK, really from the heart. Mrs. Late Model Mark has for years said it is the little things that can make you happy and it's true.

One of my enduring happy places/times is when I cut the grass riding the John Deere. Did that today, I live up in the hills somewhat in the sticks, it is so peace full. I live next to a 350 acre private lake that is 30 steps from the back of my house. I stopped the mowing and shut off the John Deere and just sat there looking at the lake that I may have taken for granted. It was quiet, there was all kinds of birds singing. It was really cool.

At about 4 today, that would be the time I would head off to Talladega Short Track to announce the second race of the season if we were running, I kinda got bummed out that we were closed, then I looked at the lake, cracked open a Sierra Nevada Stout, took a nice swig, and once again realized life is good. Healthy and a great wife and a roof over my head.

When we get back to racing, I will not take that for granted, stuff is fragile these days.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer

Jking24
03-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Frozen two has run its coarse in my house. I think my daughter seen it no less than 5 times in theaters nobody says no to a three year old lol. We have moved on to onward witch luckily Amazon released early so we were able to keep theater visits witch obviously can't happen right now anyway to a minimum

TerryM
03-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Great stuff, BK. You sound like a younger version of me. I’m just happy to learn someone else in this state has a basketball goal lol. When my wife and I bought our house three years ago, the first thing I did was install a basketball goal. Where I’m from, everyone has a goal. It’s just a way of life in Kentucky. But in Georgia, it seems there’s only one sport (football) that anyone cares about. I love football as much as basketball, but I’m more of an all sports fan, not just one. My kids are adults now, but we have four granddaughters — ages 8 years, 5 years, 3 years, and 6 months. Little girls are truly a gift from God and we look forward to every minute we get with them. We have a long Easter weekend planned with them. At this point, we’re just hoping and praying we still get that. Thank you for allowing us a look into your life. This is what the early years of 4m was like, and what I wish it still was. Take care, buddy.

GA-DIRT
03-29-2020, 12:29 PM
. Beautiful,well said. Brownie,Ch