PDA

View Full Version : MB Track closing

Hoosier
05-13-2020, 02:48 PM
- SPEED51.com is reporting that Myrtle Beach Speedway, a track that held 13 races for what is now the Xfinity Series from 1988-2000, will close at the end of the 2020 season. The track will be rezoned into a new development.
__________________________________________________ _

t3r3e3
05-13-2020, 03:07 PM
- SPEED51.com is reporting that Myrtle Beach Speedway, a track that held 13 races for what is now the Xfinity Series from 1988-2000, will close at the end of the 2020 season. The track will be rezoned into a new development.
__________________________________________________ _

More golf courses! More t-shirt shops! More calabash seafood joints! More boobie bars! Myrtle Beach is a tourist trap, and not worth visiting now.

NeedforLMspeed
05-13-2020, 03:19 PM
According to this article it sounds like he can't wait to sell it. And he hasn't turned a profit in years. And it only looks like they race barely 10 times a year. Might as well sell while the property still has value and someone is interested.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wpde.com/amp/news/local/myrtle-beach-speedway-prepares-for-final-season

Slideways
05-13-2020, 03:32 PM
Sad situation...

dmr37
05-13-2020, 03:35 PM
Not much value for anything in a tourist town

kazual
05-13-2020, 04:01 PM
The only chance for some track owners to turn a profit is if their land appreciates in value. Or at least to cut their losses. Been going on for a long time, nothing new.

Barbecueboy
05-13-2020, 04:04 PM
More golf courses! More t-shirt shops! More calabash seafood joints! More boobie bars! Myrtle Beach is a tourist trap, and not worth visiting now.

It sure is.....id stay away from that place.....far far away.

And fwiw,almost 20 golf courses have closed up since it's heyday calabash is in NC,4 boobie bars have been shuttered in the last year........as for the rag shops, they are all still going out for business.

The track of land is being developed so that it can accommodate people moving in by the truckload.

Barbecueboy
05-13-2020, 04:13 PM
According to this article it sounds like he can't wait to sell it. And he hasn't turned a profit in years. And it only looks like they race barely 10 times a year. Might as well sell while the property still has value and someone is interested.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wpde.com/amp/news/local/myrtle-beach-speedway-prepares-for-final-season

He put a ton of money and effort in it......it certainly wasn't for lack of effort.

I've probably seen 200 plus races over the years there , some of the 400s were real good and some of the stuff they used to run with the Busch series was good......nothing was ever as good as when the place was dirt.

Barbecueboy
05-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Not much value for anything in a tourist town

Lol, you might want to fact check that a little.......Up until this latest pandemic crap Myrtle and the grand strand is one of the hottest real estate markets in the country.

Houses built 20 years ago for under 100k are now selling in the 200/250 range in the area.

And people are buying them to move in, not to rent......I see that trend doing nothing but continuing with the mass exodus from folks in the northeast heading south.

Dirt Clod
05-13-2020, 08:36 PM
I too saw that article on Speed51. I'm with you BBCueboy. That statement makes no sense. "Not much value in a tourist town". Really? Clearly there's more value in the real estate land than a race track. Kudos to the owners if they can make a huge profit selling the track for development. Whether we want to admit it or not, times have changed. Sad to see another historic track go away.

NeedforLMspeed
05-13-2020, 08:56 PM
I'm also confused by the "Not much value in a tourist town" comment.

BloomerWon
05-13-2020, 09:07 PM
bOObie bars shutting down takes the cake!!

dmr37
05-14-2020, 08:32 AM
I'm also confused by the "Not much value in a tourist town" comment.

I should have said "Not much value in a tourist town, until this is over"

HIGH ROLLER
05-14-2020, 09:05 AM
This track has had rumor for a few yrs now of shutting down.

Barbecueboy
05-14-2020, 10:39 AM
I should have said "Not much value in a tourist town, until this is over"

If you own a business designed solely around tourism then you would be correct right now about the business itself....as for property values etc., they haven't dropped a bit and in fact according to some of my friends in the real estate market property values look to increase because of the demand from people moving in to get away from the big cities up north.

It's all speculation , but they are normally pretty good advisors to us on real estate matters.

I rode through there yesterday and was pleased to see it reasonably opening back up with a little extra traffic on the roads and a bunch of out of state plates......don't believe everything you see on the news.

Barbecueboy
05-14-2020, 10:41 AM
bOObie bars shutting down takes the cake!!

The ones that closed.....they searched you for weapons before you went in, if you didn't have one, they provided one for you:)

They were pretty rough and were a nuisance.

NeedforLMspeed
05-14-2020, 10:44 AM
They're buying up land here left and right to build subdivisions with $250k-350k houses and huge 3-4 story apartment complexes. Some of the subdivisions have their own Community pools and recreation buildings with a restaurant and gourmet kitchens that have 8-10 full time people working

CIRF
05-14-2020, 10:55 AM
The ones that closed.....they searched you for weapons before you went in, if you didn't have one, they provided one for you:)

I got good chuckle out of that one, BBQ!

How far from Myrtle Beach are you?

What year did they pave the track we're talking about?

BloomerWon
05-14-2020, 11:12 AM

Where there's boobs or wheels...

Rajflyboy
05-14-2020, 07:53 PM
City of Myrtle Beach has gone down over the years but the areas around it are fine. N Myrtle, Murrells Inlet, etc Track is close to the main drag and basically prime time real estate.

Barbecueboy
05-14-2020, 09:23 PM
most people that just visit what they know or only where their parents brought them as kids have no idea of its hidden beauty when you get away from the main attractions , shows, putt putts etc..........and for the folks that live there, that's a good thing.

The track sits about 5 miles inland from the beach in what now is a very bustling suburb of Myrtle beach proper......

nc mudcat
05-15-2020, 06:59 AM
Neat track. Pretty big with worn out asphalt, saw some pretty good races there with the Whelen Modified tour, the CARS tour and the old Hooters Cup Series. Hate to see it go.

Rocky
05-15-2020, 07:23 AM
And people are buying them to move in, not to rent......I see that trend doing nothing but continuing with the mass exodus from folks in the northeast heading south.

Yeah man same in Va Beach seems like probably every other person in town is from Taxachusetts. If there wasn't already a South Boston, Virginia I would think I lived in "South Boston". It's a very unfortunate circumstance for the area. That's how you get governors that well do things that Northam does.....

Bob Hubbard
10-10-2020, 06:40 AM
https://www.facebook.com/linwood.yarborough/videos/10223142355968471

Rajflyboy
10-10-2020, 07:02 AM
Most excellent rant and so true here in the Carolinas

DoubleZero
10-10-2020, 07:35 AM
A'int gonna be closed........It's being demolished.

dirtcrazy4u
10-10-2020, 01:05 PM
WOW, a thread this long about a track that isn't a dirt track. If they would have just covered it with dirt it would still be thriving. Boobie bars, during bike week, never been to one.

Rajflyboy
10-10-2020, 02:23 PM
I think the track was thriving and it did not matter. Developers won in the end.

AllenK
10-10-2020, 02:53 PM
Money and lawyers always seem to win out. I don't know how long I-30 Speedway will/can hang on here in Arkansas. The land it's on has to be worth a fortune,and the suburbs around it just keep on expanding. I have friends who live nearby who cry about the noise,but the track was there first. It's existence is not a secret at all.

It's a shame that a track like Myrtle Beach that has such a history is going to be demolished and something cookie-cutter put in it's place. My wife,being a huge fan of the group Alabama,always wanted to go to Myrtle Beach to visit their theatre,Peaches Corner,and The Bowery where they got their start. That turned out to be the only vacation where I was actually ready to come home. There was a lot we enjoyed,but overall it sucked including the only time we've ever had a motel room broken into. It was one thing after another. I apologize to anyone from there or South Carolina because my wife and I have had some great times in that state otherwise. We won't be going back to MB anytime soon

Rajflyboy
10-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Downtown Myrtle is an absolute mess. Sad but true.

johnE
10-11-2020, 06:35 AM
I wonder who got the grandstands, heard Cherokee was looking.

The owners reinvested in Florence Speedway, about an hour inland.

Myrtle is the beach for the masses, and whatever kind of beach you like you can find it in SC.

Rajflyboy
10-11-2020, 10:44 AM
Yeah but downtown Myrtle needs cleaning up.

chupp n bloomer fan
10-12-2020, 10:24 AM
We just visited Myrtle Beach for the first time in 2019. Stayed at Oceans 22. We enjoyed it, did The Smokies this year, going back and staying at the Enclave next year, already booked. Then back to the Smokies the following year.

Of course it’s a tourist town, they all get ruined to an extent. But you learn after a visit or two where to go and not go.

Do not go to/tips:
1.)Piggly Wiggly
2.)Off the main spots, can be real sketchy right now.
3.)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) junkies are sadly everywhere, right on the Boardwalk at 2 in the afternoon.
4.)Hit the tourist traps once, then just chill at the beach and go to cool places away from everyone else.
5.)Kayaking is cool, we will do it every time most likely.

So I guess I don’t get the hate for it. Helluva a lot cheaper than Disney, or Hawaii or the Bahamas.

Wicked Tuna on Pier 2 is great, great addition to the Boardwalk. Enjoy it. It’s vacation

chupp n bloomer fan
10-12-2020, 10:26 AM
Yeah but downtown Myrtle needs cleaning up.I think they will. Main thing I noticed was the druggies. But every town has that that’s bigger sadly.

chupp n bloomer fan
10-12-2020, 10:28 AM
If you own a business designed solely around tourism then you would be correct right now about the business itself....as for property values etc., they haven't dropped a bit and in fact according to some of my friends in the real estate market property values look to increase because of the demand from people moving in to get away from the big cities up north.

It's all speculation , but they are normally pretty good advisors to us on real estate matters.

I rode through there yesterday and was pleased to see it reasonably opening back up with a little extra traffic on the roads and a bunch of out of state plates......don't believe everything you see on the news.Once I retire, we have discussed moving down that way. But in my occupation, it’ll have to be once I’m retired.

chupp n bloomer fan
10-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Money and lawyers always seem to win out. I don't know how long I-30 Speedway will/can hang on here in Arkansas. The land it's on has to be worth a fortune,and the suburbs around it just keep on expanding. I have friends who live nearby who cry about the noise,but the track was there first. It's existence is not a secret at all.

It's a shame that a track like Myrtle Beach that has such a history is going to be demolished and something cookie-cutter put in it's place. My wife,being a huge fan of the group Alabama,always wanted to go to Myrtle Beach to visit their theatre,Peaches Corner,and The Bowery where they got their start. That turned out to be the only vacation where I was actually ready to come home. There was a lot we enjoyed,but overall it sucked including the only time we've ever had a motel room broken into. It was one thing after another. I apologize to anyone from there or South Carolina because my wife and I have had some great times in that state otherwise. We won't be going back to MB anytime soonWhere’d you stay? The newer nice places ocean front aren’t sketchy.

Now it surely doesn’t mean you don’t be alert. I’ve seen some sad news articles about people getting jacked up over nothing.