PDA

View Full Version : Thornton got the shaft tonight

EDERDS
05-29-2020, 09:50 PM
Must have been a reason they didn’t want to look at a replay

Jking24
05-29-2020, 09:56 PM
Rules state they go by transponder they checked the position and it was right on both cars therfore Sheppard won. Pretty straight forward

WisWildManFan
05-29-2020, 10:01 PM
Heard bloomer was actually running big track tonight just testing can someone confirm or deny

Big Daddy 37
05-29-2020, 10:04 PM
Often the transponder cable is not buried under the track, right at the flag stand... Some tracks are 3-6 feet either way.
Not sure if that is the case or not, but...

EDERDS
05-29-2020, 10:08 PM
Eyeball test watching the cars showed Thornton winning

flagone
05-29-2020, 10:14 PM
Terrible camera angle. The camera was well left of S/F line. If you are a national series and you have your own live video production there is no reason to not have a camera straight on at the finish line. Hell of a race. RTJ is a bad dude.

Jim11h
05-29-2020, 10:22 PM
He frickin lost big deal but it happens to all eventually

jcotton02
05-29-2020, 11:05 PM
Racing has always been first car to cross the start finish line. If you want to decide line ups on transponder that’s fine, but it should not decide the finish line. We have enough technology these days to get a photo finish and see who truly won.

flagone
05-29-2020, 11:12 PM
How can you tell which car crosses the finish line first if you aren't looking straight at the line? Answer is YOU CAN'T. There is nothing wrong with using transponders. My point in saying that about the camera is people would likely not be questioning it now with the proper camera angle.

golddirt
05-29-2020, 11:16 PM
Eldora uses cameras,just saying

NeedforLMspeed
05-29-2020, 11:54 PM
The angle on WoO highlight wasn't straight up. But even if the transponder cable is 3 feet, 6 feet or 12 feet before the finish line it still looks like RTJ won. I've seen that before and then you look at it straight up and the other guy ended up winning by a mile and your still like wtf lol

Raceready
05-30-2020, 12:12 AM
Thorton received the special WoW punishment tonight like Dennis Erb Jr. did earlier when he too was stripped of an obvious win !!! How sad.

chopter
05-30-2020, 12:19 AM
from the 5th row? what happened to bobby?

Mod Runner
05-30-2020, 01:44 AM
Must have been a close race. Transponders are the best way to determine the winner. It is hard to draw a line for the start finish line and then use a camera to determine the winner. Transponders are just so much more accurate.

johnE
05-30-2020, 04:23 AM
I have to wonder if there is some way to game the system...

Rajflyboy
05-30-2020, 05:03 AM
Using transponders at line can be like the winner in ford vs Ferrari

lurker
05-30-2020, 05:15 AM

At the 3:41 mark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2cfwOwIoQ

bleedblue55
05-30-2020, 05:35 AM

No way to tell from that angle, flagstand is located down towards turn 1. Also appears that small track flagstand is on the inside and large track stand is on the outside. How timing cable is buried in relation to those two stands would mean a lot. Guess whoever buried it could answer that. Good to see the tin foil hat conspiracy nut jobs out in force.

bleedblue55
05-30-2020, 05:37 AM
Heard bloomer was actually running big track tonight just testing can someone confirm or deny

Best thread comment in a while

zyoung25
05-30-2020, 08:01 AM
Often the transponder cable is not buried under the track, right at the flag stand... Some tracks are 3-6 feet either way.
Not sure if that is the case or not, but...

A few years back, Florence had something like happen. The cable wasnt exactly straight (at that time) and the win went the car that appeared to run 2nd by eye ball and video. I think it was Cody Mahoney and Jason Jameson if I remember right. Jameson was declared the winner because that how the transponders read.

Florence later came out and said their transponder pick up cable was not exactly straight in line with the flagstand.

You might be on to something here.

WildBill32
05-30-2020, 08:11 AM
I know it's early in the season. But, this race could be in the top five for race of the year. Great race!

bleedblue55
05-30-2020, 08:31 AM
A few years back, Florence had something like happen. The cable wasnt exactly straight (at that time) and the win went the car that appeared to run 2nd by eye ball and video. I think it was Cody Mahoney and Jason Jameson if I remember right. Jameson was declared the winner because that how the transponders read.

Florence later came out and said their transponder pick up cable was not exactly straight in line with the flagstand.

You might be on to something here.

Been to a few tracks early and seen them bury new timing cable, not exactly a GPS accurate transit set up, more like pick and shovel.

ImCryn2
05-30-2020, 08:34 AM
Transponders are the most accurate way, there is no personal judgement involved. I get it, Thornton was on the losing end last night, but I'm guessing at some point he has been or will be on the other end one day.

lurker
05-30-2020, 08:55 AM

No way to tell from that angle, flagstand is located down towards turn 1. Also appears that small track flagstand is on the inside and large track stand is on the outside. How timing cable is buried in relation to those two stands would mean a lot. Guess whoever buried it could answer that. Good to see the tin foil hat conspiracy nut jobs out in force.

I was simply pointing out at the 3:41 mark the announcer made the same comment that EDERDS made. Sorry I wasn’t specific and I made it hard for you comprehend.

ImCryn2
05-30-2020, 09:14 AM
.007 of a second. Using the eyeball test, the guy with a longer front bumper will win every time.

reid boys
05-30-2020, 09:16 AM
DOD has a picture, I wonder if that's the finish?

Jking24
05-30-2020, 09:24 AM
The problem is the series run at so many different tracks that it is tough for them to have somthing consistent. If their was a line in the wall and a camera dead in line like eldora it be one thing but alot of tracks don't have this so the rules for the series are when in question they go to the transponder and that is official. Doesent realy matter where the loop is located if that is deemed the line by the rules that's it. This is why they have a rule on the placement of the transponder because it will be the decision maker. They checked the transponder positions before they declared a winner. I wanted to see rtj win as much as anybody but he didn't. Bottom line great race great finish

ZERO25
05-30-2020, 09:33 AM
The problem with transponders is theyre mounted on the rearend…..approx. 15 ft from the front of the nose!

A car 1 mph faster can travel 1.46 feet in 1 second!

golddirt
05-30-2020, 09:58 AM
Exactly zero !!!

jcotton02
05-30-2020, 10:10 AM
Transponders are mounted in the front.

TS FAN
05-30-2020, 10:50 AM
Sure thought Thornton won it. But I have no way of debating the out come. Really like this guy, and maybe he can get them back tonight. Great race

ImCryn2
05-30-2020, 11:05 AM
Transponders are mounted in the front.

Either the rear end tube or the engine mid plate. It doesn't really matter when they are mounted in the same place on each car.

over4T
05-30-2020, 11:39 AM
Lot of good points made, especially zero25's and the comments about the transponder receiving cable location. One touring group we run with recently changed transponder locations on the cars from front at lower A arm to midplate and there are flaws with each. A inch or two either way can cost or give you a win.

One of our regular haunts last year saw a guy get his first sprint car main win taken away because their wire was buried coming out of turn 4, where he was second on the last lap, instead of at the start/finish line where it should be and where he definitely won by about half a car.

Transponders are great for most lineups getting sorted out on restarts but the old fashioned human scorers and/or a camera at the finish line are better for determining the winner.

NeedforLMspeed
05-30-2020, 11:49 AM
When Nascar was at Darlington a couple weeks ago they showed the finish between Craven and Kurt Busch a couple times. Ricky won because that Pontiac nosepiece was slightly longer. Had he been in a Ford like Busch I believe it would've been a tie

Buford.Justice
05-30-2020, 02:36 PM

Wow, it sure looks like Thornton won that race, from that view. Transponders are supposed to be located at the rear axle on all cars I believe, I assume they do check the locations of them after the race.

There could be some tricks played with transponders. It has happened before. Not in Lucas that I know of.

CIRF
05-30-2020, 02:52 PM
One of our regular haunts last year saw a guy get his first sprint car main win taken away because their wire was buried coming out of turn 4, where he was second on the last lap, instead of at the start/finish line where it should be and where he definitely won by about half a car.Over, did the real winner protest the outcome? It seems if the outcome was obvious to everyone in the place they'd make it right and give the win to the actual winner.

Jking24
05-30-2020, 03:04 PM
Wow, it sure looks like Thornton won that race, from that view. Transponders are supposed to be located at the rear axle on all cars I believe, I assume they do check the locations of them after the race. There could be some tricks played with transponders. It has happened before. Not in Lucas that I know of.This was a woo race and the transponders are mounted on the lf

GRT32
05-30-2020, 03:12 PM
transponders are good for determining the part of the car that crosses the line 1st, I dont know where woo mounts theirs at, I assume axle tube, ricky could have crossed the line 1st with the nose of the car and still lost according to transponder.

hjr2
05-30-2020, 04:30 PM
The transponder isn't even at the very front of the car? Isn't that like the olympics judging the winner of the 100m dash by the back of your head crossing the line?

NeedforLMspeed
05-30-2020, 04:44 PM
I've seen local tracks that say the transponder has to be mounted on the rr axle housing.

over4T
05-30-2020, 05:16 PM
Over, did the real winner protest the outcome? It seems if the outcome was obvious to everyone in the place they'd make it right and give the win to the actual winner.

Yep, He and his father complained (mildly) but the grandstand crowd really got jacked up over it. But nope, the track didn't reverse their call on the matter. The track, which I won't name, was just lucky it wasn't us or one of the other veteran teams or they'd still be hearing about it. We're known as polite (mostly) and respectful (mostly) but we know how hard those wins are to come by.

P.S. Marysville Raceway Park is still on, so far, for tonight. My son was scheduled to drive our friend's second Limited Late Model to help the struggling car count in the class but with 3 different weather forecasts a few minutes ago showing, take your pick: clear, definite showers or thunderstorms, a purse that was cut in half for LLMs that is already embarrassingly low and some 250 miles of driving back and forth to get the car, race, return it, then drive home we decided to stay home and watch it on Speed Shift TV, if it even happens. I'm going back out to the shop and get the cars ready for next Saturday at Antioch Speedway. Another no fans event.

Buford.Justice
05-30-2020, 07:21 PM
This was a woo race and the transponders are mounted on the lf

Yes I did say Lucas, my bad.

ZERO25
05-30-2020, 10:13 PM
So $500k haulers, $100k racecars and tracks cant install a camera at the finish line??? smh

Barbecueboy
05-30-2020, 10:54 PM
It beats waiting 2 weeks to announce the winner from a tire result.

castone
05-31-2020, 12:28 AM
Saturday Night tracks in some States mounts transponders on the r axle housing like Needfor said, looks to me like cars would have to be exactly the same length for winner scorning to be 100% correct using transponders !

Jim11h
05-31-2020, 01:16 AM
Various rules of mounting location per different sanctions. Motor plate my personal opinion the best safest place. On lf bumber just asking to be destroyed in accident. Rear-end moves differently per setup so a stationary object best. Nothing perfect or fool proof but some ways yield most consistent results

ZERO25
05-31-2020, 09:15 AM
Transponders are great for qualifying and getting cars in order after a caution. A camera at the finish line should determine the winner!

EDERDS
05-31-2020, 09:11 PM
Wonder if Rick E. got the memo from the WOO brass saying, “Don’t announce who won the race until we tell you who won the race”. 😃😃😃

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-31-2020, 09:35 PM
.007 of a second. Using the eyeball test, the guy with a longer front bumper will win every time.

That's supposed to be checked by rule. There is a measurement. Lol

chopter
06-01-2020, 01:43 AM
flagman should have been watching and realized there was a problem with the transponders if it gave shep the win.

riddle28
06-01-2020, 06:28 AM
they should always be racing to the stand, not a cable buried in the ground. they screwed ricky big time, second one this year big blue has bought

Highside Hustler25
06-01-2020, 08:23 AM
I'm seeing a whole lot of butt hurt whiners. Get over it. Sheppy won.

Burke1118
06-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Any of you guys see this? Pretty f***in hilarious. Wouldn't put it past the ole World of Richards Series......https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10222892219885075&set=a.1592688628178&type=3&theater

JabberJaws83
06-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Any of you guys see this? Pretty f***in hilarious. Wouldn't put it past the ole World of Richards Series......https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10222892219885075&set=a.1592688628178&type=3&theater

Do you realize how angles alter pictures?

WildBill32
06-01-2020, 10:32 AM
Fasttalk on DoD it was said that his transponder was not located in the right spot. Idk.. This finish may be talked about for a while.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-01-2020, 10:44 AM

Reminds me of the telescoping deck heights a few years back. Lol

0_VodooChild_0
06-01-2020, 11:06 AM
Fasttalk on DoD it was said that his transponder was not located in the right spot. Idk.. This finish may be talked about for a while.Ricky has stated such on Facebook. He has said that the transponder on the 20RT was mounted on the mid plate where as Sheppy's was mounted on the left front bumper bar. Ricky also stated that it was their mistake not having it mounted where the World of Outlaws guys have theirs mounted. He chalked it up as a learning experience. Great to see him running up front with these guys. Hopefully, someone will give him a fulltime opportunity in a Late Model.

Burke1118
06-01-2020, 01:03 PM
@MB_racer fact check me on this, but assuming they are going 80mph (probably a gross overestimation), .007 seconds is about 10 inches according to my math. RT definitely crossed first if the blue 1 had it on the nose and Ricky had it on the midplate

Jking24
06-01-2020, 01:11 PM
@MB_racer fact check me on this, but assuming they are going 80mph (probably a gross overestimation), .007 seconds is about 10 inches according to my math. RT definitely crossed first if the blue 1 had it on the nose and Ricky had it on the midplateWhile you may be right the argument could be made that rtj transponder was not in the correct location their for he is disqualified. The rule doesn't state where it's allowed to be as in options. It's where it has to be that way this sort of thing doesent happen. I'm glad rtj isn't pushing the point because he understands that they made a mistake not anyone else. At this point its just beating a dead horse though

NormP
06-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Chances are if he's in position to only lose this closely, he'll be picking up wins here and there too.

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-01-2020, 04:07 PM
While you may be right the argument could be made that rtj transponder was not in the correct location their for he is disqualified. The rule doesn't state where it's allowed to be as in options. It's where it has to be that way this sort of thing doesent happen. I'm glad rtj isn't pushing the point because he understands that they made a mistake not anyone else. At this point its just beating a dead horse though

I can't find a location specified in the dirtcar rule book?

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-01-2020, 04:11 PM
@MB_racer fact check me on this, but assuming they are going 80mph (probably a gross overestimation), .007 seconds is about 10 inches according to my math. RT definitely crossed first if the blue 1 had it on the nose and Ricky had it on the midplate
Your math is good. All race finishes should be visual. It's good enough for horses and dogs.

castone
06-01-2020, 04:57 PM
I will say this again, the only way transponders would be a 100% correct is all the cars would have to be exactly the same length, and the transponders would have to be in the same location on all cars !