PDA

View Full Version : Southern Nationals Screven

champion24
07-18-2020, 06:12 PM
What's going on down there?

johnE
07-18-2020, 07:19 PM
Just finished hot laps. Palmetto State drivers out in force and fast in hot laps.
Zack Mitchell
Trent Ivey
John Henderson
Scott Shirley
Cla Knight
Madden
Bailes
Grube

Casey Roberts, Jeff Smith there tonight.

Overton always fast there.

Mister Ricochet
07-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Don't forget about the kid who ran 3rd yesterday, John Baker.

GRT32
07-18-2020, 08:03 PM
what were they thinking dumping all that water after hotlaps

Switchback29A1
07-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Did they rain it out with the water truck again?

No_Weak_Links
07-18-2020, 08:50 PM
Almost 10:00 and haven't even qualified. I hate track bashing but it's justified in this case.

TerryM
07-18-2020, 10:12 PM
It was 95 degrees at 9:30. They didn’t have a choice.

HIGH ROLLER
07-18-2020, 11:59 PM
Top 5 finish

Overton
Whitener
Bailes
Madden
C. Knight

dirtcrazy4u
07-19-2020, 06:27 AM
Typical screven. With east bay going away in a couple years this place could really be something. Nahhh, never going to happen, it was 10:15 before the first heat race ever hit the track last time I was there. February, no heat issues, they did the same thing. Hot laps and then the water truck came out and dumped a ton of water on the track. Then they Tryed to run it back in with I think 3 vehicles. What a frigid joke, and the place has a great surface.

BTExpress
07-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Last night I watched two complete sprint car features on Flo, Kyle Larson beating the All Stars at Port Royal, and Carson Macedo winning at Lincoln Speedway. Thought OK, let's make it a trifecta and watch the feature at Screven....switched over at 1015pm and could not believe they were just starting the first HEAT RACE for the SLM's.... At first I thought, I must have missed the feature and Flo is showing a replay. It has been hard for me all week to watch these Southern National races with how poorly run most of the shows have been....still in shock when I saw time trials one night for 4 cylinder street stocks. These are special race's that Cook has set up. Somehow these Southern Promoters haven't read the Memo....make them feel special! Limit the support classes, and move the show along!

kazual
07-19-2020, 08:58 AM
I noted the late hour at a weekday show couple days back and someone posted several of us were snowflakes, hehe. Well I didn’t loose any sleep that day over the comment and I didn’t last night either, when tuned in at 10:30 I gave up. Mean no disrespect to anyone but man I don’t get it.

GRT32
07-19-2020, 09:20 AM
track prep begins early I the week, not after hot laps, I'm not real sure that could be calle track prep, flodd the front straightaway, uncalled for.

B_K
07-19-2020, 10:21 AM
Smoky Mtn packed
Senoia packed
Needmore packed
Screven packed

These promoters gotta learn..... last night could have gone better. I looked at the heat index there about 4pm. It was 108.

BTExpress
07-19-2020, 10:35 AM
I guess it just depends on what the fans are used to and what the promoters can get away with in different parts of the country. After following various types of dirt track racing (Sprint Cars, DLM's and Big Block Modifieds and a fan of all three) for close to 40 years, I feel blessed on how the tracks in my area are maintained and run. Williams Grove, Port Royal, Lincoln, Selinsgrove, BAPS, Grandview, Bridgeport and New Egypt, etc. are all up to date from a safety point of view and generally run an efficient, well run program, on a consistent basis without a lot of extra divisions.

TerryM
07-19-2020, 10:38 AM
track prep begins early I the week, not after hot laps, I'm not real sure that could be calle track prep, flodd the front straightaway, uncalled for.
I know personally that they prepped the track all week. But it’s red clay. And red clay and temps in the high 90s all week are never a good mix. It was still 90 degrees last night at 10:00, and 85 when we headed home at 12:30. I love Screven for the most part, especially the Spring and Fall shows, but I’m not a big fan of this event — and it’s because of the heat. But we support it every year, because I know the good people involved and I know the effort they put in. I’ll critique if the issue is lack of effort or poor organization, but I’ll never critique an event when I know they did everything they could to make it work. The only thing I would change about this event is, I’d split it up into two separate events — the Southern Nationals race on whatever date they get, and the Rebel Yell the week before or the week after.

B_K
07-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Farmer City was over about 11:30 local time Friday night. Things happen sometimes. I’m 43 and there’s not been one year of my life that I haven’t been around dirt tracks.

Are there things that need cleaned up, sure there are. We run too many classes here. That’s the main issue I see. In the summer at most places down here, you can’t start early. It’s still 90+ at 6:00pm with three more hours of daylight.

It’s just convenient IMO to say it’s a down south thing. I’ve been to terribly ran shows in a lot of places.

Rajflyboy
07-19-2020, 02:25 PM
Run the big feature early for the fans. Run the lower divisions late. Temps of 85 or 95... does this actually make a difference in the racing from the fan perspective?

TerryM
07-19-2020, 03:40 PM
Run the big feature early for the fans. Run the lower divisions late. Temps of 85 or 95... does this actually make a difference in the racing from the fan perspective?
There is a huge difference between 85 with regular humidity, and 95+ w/high humidity. Somebody at the track said the heat index reached 112. There were heat index warnings issued all day by the national weather service. The only racing before the Super feature was the Super heats and two lower division features. If the show could’ve started on time, the Super feature would’ve been completed by 10:00.

Rajflyboy
07-19-2020, 07:21 PM
Hot for drivers and fans yes but what affect does 10 more degrees have on the racetrack itself?

NeedforLMspeed
07-20-2020, 01:17 AM
I mean... It is summer time. What do you really expect out of the weather. Just sayin'

Rajflyboy
07-20-2020, 06:06 AM
I mean... It is summer time. What do you really expect out of the weather. Just sayin'Exactly. Or they can run at 8am

TerryM
07-20-2020, 09:07 AM
LOL ... somebody in Michigan talking about summer.

NeedforLMspeed
07-20-2020, 09:39 AM
I'm not in MI. FYI

flagone
07-20-2020, 09:47 AM
As I saw in someone's signature who was complaining. Some people aren't happy unless they are mad. Yes that was more water than intended. BUT at the end of the day every single race was fantastic. It is hot. The So Nats were on 1300s and that makes a huge difference in the heat. I am quite certain than none of you have ever prepped a track in south Georgia in the middle of the hottest week of the year. Screven has one of the best racing surfaces in the south. Not a single driver complained because they knew that the guy wanted to give them the best track they could have to race on. And to the question of "when will southern promoters learn..." I would say when will Northern fans learn that the south and north are different? Different crowds, different economies, different racers and for (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) sure different dirt, different climates and different water tables. I was taught to appreciate differences in things and just enjoy them rather than looking for the worst in everything. He knows it was late and he hated it. But the choice was run later or have a rubbered up track like he had for the WoO show last year. Redd chose the best option. The racing was great and at the end of the day that is all that SHOULD matter. I get so sick of negativity.

fastford
07-20-2020, 11:18 AM
now that was a very good honest strait up post flagone , well said......

Mister Ricochet
07-20-2020, 12:27 PM
Until you walk a mile in a man's shoes is the saying, right? Yankee until I die here, home track is Fairbury and whether I know it or night, just like any other human being, I'm a product of my environment.

20 yrs ago Kankakee was my home track. Good track, good racers, good fields, closest track to home, ran on Fridays. The promoter could simply not get the show in before 12:30. Up at 4:00 am for work back home at 1:30. We'd talk about how slow the show was, families with 10 yr olds with baseball, gymnastics and whatever a family does on Saturdays stopped coming. Told the promoter who stood at the gate after every race that the show is too long people will stop coming.

I stopped going. Kankakee is a shell of what it was and the late shows aren't the only reason but a big one. I went to Fairbury, 24 miles further, and never looked back. If you hold families hostage up here for 5-6 hrs you risk losing them. If you held them hostage for 7-8 hrs you wouldn't get thru the season.

This site hears people rave about Fairbury and many mock those who do. Nobody can question the surface but what doesn't get mentioned is they run that show like a drill team. They hot lap on time and from there everything else falls into place and you're out by 10:30ish. You know that going in and the way the show is run is as appreciated, and now expected, as the surface.

Indeed, if you don't like it don't go. Any promoter is wise to know what a paying customer does not like or he risks going out of business. Fairbury does not qualify hornets when a tour is there and if you do and your show runs for 6-7 hours they lost all credibility when they complain about the weather, or anything else, as to why a show ran late. Or if they start hot lapping at 7:30-8:00, same thing.

But the customer speaks with their feet, I agree. If Fairbury with it's great surface and racers ran a 5-6-7 hr weekly show they'd lose me as a customer.

NeedforLMspeed
07-20-2020, 12:40 PM
I went to a track one time. They ran 3 different 4 banger classes. Stock, Outlaw and one with a certain age group. It was only advertised as 4 bangers. Didn't say anything about having 3 classes of them. Probably wasn't more than 7-8 cars in each one. Then add 5 more regular classes on top of that. Didn't go again after.

flagone
07-20-2020, 12:57 PM
Mister Ricochet the "hornets" were also a touring division at Screven and they were racing for the 2nd highest purse and brought the most total cars. EVERY racing class should be treated with respect. I get where you are coming from. I hate running late. I preach about it in seminars. But sometimes it happens in spite of your best effort. I purposely made the schedule so that the Supers feature would be absolutely as early as it could be. Only one event in between each track appearance for them. Supers are the headliner and I fully believe they go as early in the program as possible. But here a large crowd also comes to see "hornets" because they put on a show and have developed a following.

Mister Ricochet
07-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Mister Ricochet the "hornets" were also a touring division at Screven and they were racing for the 2nd highest purse and brought the most total cars. EVERY racing class should be treated with respect. I get where you are coming from. I hate running late. I preach about it in seminars. But sometimes it happens in spite of your best effort. I purposely made the schedule so that the Supers feature would be absolutely as early as it could be. Only one event in between each track appearance for them. Supers are the headliner and I fully believe they go as early in the program as possible. But here a large crowd also comes to see "hornets" because they put on a show and have developed a following.

Sir, we are in agreement. Like any other business let the customer (fan) decide. I tried to give the quickest run down of my evolution as to where I carried my racing dollar and the reasons why.

Like the pro told me during the one golf lesson I ever took after I hit the first ball. Asked him how was my swing, he said, "don't ask me the ball told you and will every time". Indeed, same as a race promoter. All he need do is look into the stands and that will tell him all he needs to know.

There are patterns and anomalies. A show that runs 5-6 hrs 75% of the time is a pattern. A show that runs 5-6-7 hrs 5-10% of the time is an exception. Race fans understand and how many show up tells you how you're doing.

dirtSLMracing
07-20-2020, 01:45 PM
When a track is having a big Super race there should not be more than 2 support classes. If there are three races scheduled and it takes 5 hours then someone at the track screwed something up. Unless of course it rains, then that is understandable.

weatherman85
07-20-2020, 02:10 PM
I get tracks will run late time-to-time and try to look the other way. What gets me is when they advertise hot laps start at 7:00 or 7:30 and they never do. Seemed to be a trend at my local tracks. If it's too hot to start that early at southern tracks then at least be honest enough to say 8:00 or 8:30.

NeedforLMspeed
07-20-2020, 02:18 PM
Either cancel the event or announce a day or two in advance that the event will start at a later time. Don't just make a decision on the fly

flagone
07-20-2020, 03:06 PM
Either cancel the event or announce a day or two in advance that the event will start at a later time. Don't just make a decision on the fly

Sometimes you HAVE to make a decision on the fly. There is no choice. The start of the show was delayed a bit by a motorgrader failure (thus why it was sitting in the infield for the race - something that I am also a stickler about). The water decision was made after hot laps because of the track condition. The previous night we didn't have the same issue without high-horsepower / soft tire late models.

flagone
07-20-2020, 03:10 PM
When a track is having a big Super race there should not be more than 2 support classes. If there are three races scheduled and it takes 5 hours then someone at the track screwed something up. Unless of course it rains, then that is understandable.

And there again you can get away with that in some places. And I don't necessarily disagree. However that is not financially viable in many places. Again different crowds and different economies. You have to do what makes your show work financially or just not have it. Race fans have to consider the people putting on the show sometimes. Screven ran 7 classes total and did it in about 5 hours from actual start time including the hour and 20 minute track prep (so technically 3.5 hours of on track time). We use time limits in each event and stick to them. We burn through the show. When one group is exiting the other is entering. There are no intermissions. No downtime (except the track prep).

flagone
07-20-2020, 03:18 PM
Sir, we are in agreement. Like any other business let the customer (fan) decide. I tried to give the quickest run down of my evolution as to where I carried my racing dollar and the reasons why.

Like the pro told me during the one golf lesson I ever took after I hit the first ball. Asked him how was my swing, he said, "don't ask me the ball told you and will every time". Indeed, same as a race promoter. All he need do is look into the stands and that will tell him all he needs to know.

There are patterns and anomalies. A show that runs 5-6 hrs 75% of the time is a pattern. A show that runs 5-6-7 hrs 5-10% of the time is an exception. Race fans understand and how many show up tells you how you're doing.

I mistook your comment. BTW your home track is in the very capable hands of one of my close friends.

dirtSLMracing
07-20-2020, 03:23 PM
flagone...

I understand different places have different economies. My point is I dont think you would lose one fan from the grandstands if you didnt run the sportsman or open wheel cars for example. So then its down to the drivers and crew in that class paying the purse for that class. I understand having some support classes but been to a track that had a Super Race and 5 other classes. Just too much to get done in one night.

flagone
07-20-2020, 03:38 PM
flagone...

I understand different places have different economies. My point is I dont think you would lose one fan from the grandstands if you didnt run the sportsman or open wheel cars for example. So then its down to the drivers and crew in that class paying the purse for that class. I understand having some support classes but been to a track that had a Super Race and 5 other classes. Just too much to get done in one night.

I get that as well. But we only had features for all the other classes. Prelims for them ran on Friday.

TerryM
07-20-2020, 04:31 PM
What is your previous name/or names on this forum?

NeedforLMspeed
07-20-2020, 04:48 PM
MI Dirt fan. But I'm not in MI nor have I been for quite some time. I had that user name since 2009 when I was there.

NeedforLMspeed
07-20-2020, 04:48 PM
Sometimes you HAVE to make a decision on the fly. There is no choice. The start of the show was delayed a bit by a motorgrader failure (thus why it was sitting in the infield for the race - something that I am also a stickler about). The water decision was made after hot laps because of the track condition. The previous night we didn't have the same issue without high-horsepower / soft tire late models.

Really was arguing against them. Was just saying in general is all

Barbecueboy
07-20-2020, 04:52 PM
MI Dirt fan. But I'm not in MI

He's always looking for that gotcha moment with people he doesn't care for in here.....don't be alarmed.

NeedforLMspeed
07-20-2020, 04:58 PM
I know. I could send him 3 forms of documentation and invite him over for sammiches and Dr. Peppers and he still wouldn't believe it

TerryM
07-20-2020, 05:47 PM
MI Dirt fan.
Yep. Thought so.

Barbecueboy
07-20-2020, 06:55 PM
I know. I could send him 3 forms of documentation and invite him over for sammiches and Dr. Peppers and he still wouldn't believe it

The day is complete.......gotcha moment and all.

On the whole screven thing, sure it ran late , and sure it was a little bit of a hassle having to wait for the track to come back in after they watered it , but I would rather have that by a wide margin than just a one lane follow the leader deal.

Screven is one of my favorite tracks to go to because the racing there is normally great....don't mind one bit waiting for the track to get right.
If you've never been to that winter freeze big money deal for those scdra 4 cylinders you should go check it out......it's some of the best racing you will see in any form, those guys are very exciting to watch.

Rajflyboy
07-20-2020, 07:26 PM
I have not been yet but I heard the food is very good at Screven.

HIGH ROLLER
07-20-2020, 10:25 PM
I'm not in MI. FYI

Where u at now? All dem sammichs i sent to mi are bad now.

TerryM
07-21-2020, 06:18 AM
LOL don't pay BBQ any attention. He's obsessed with me. I was only asking if you were the Michigan guy, because summer up there and summer down here are two totally different animals. On my way to work this morning, Savannah radio informed me that the heat index today will be lower -- around 103 lol. Oh boy!

Barbecueboy
07-21-2020, 06:55 AM
You spelled disgusted wrong.

fastford
07-21-2020, 09:01 AM
You spelled disgusted wrong.

i guess im a bit slow this morning , took me a min to figure that one out .....good one though.....lol.....

NeedforLMspeed
07-21-2020, 09:46 AM
I'm in the deep dirty south. Feels like 103 and it's not even 11 am yet

HIGH ROLLER
07-21-2020, 09:55 AM

And here we thought u were in yankee land.
Yea its 100-105 heat index here today.

B_K
07-21-2020, 10:28 AM

Anything past roughly Ocala, FL may be “south”, but it’s not the South. Also aside from some dipsh!t rappers nobody I know has referenced the dirty south since like 2006.

NeedforLMspeed
07-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Aww. Poor b_k. Shouldn't take a little sarcasm seriously

B_K
07-21-2020, 10:36 AM
Aww. Poor b_k. Shouldn't take a little sarcasm seriously

Was honestly just trying to help you not sound like the complete dumba$$ you are, but it appears that ship has sailed.

Continue on captain.

NeedforLMspeed
07-21-2020, 10:51 AM
Help? From you? No thanks. Don't need your brown nose.

fastford
07-21-2020, 08:53 PM
i dont know about no rap song BK , but i like Brantly Gilbert,s song , bottoms up , and his reference to the " Dirty South", i think it was around 2015......

Barbecueboy
07-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Southern states got dirty when all the trash flowed down the concrete river called i95 south.

fastford
07-22-2020, 04:29 PM
there was a bunch of it flowing down I65 as well.....

Rajflyboy
07-22-2020, 04:32 PM
So.. how the food at Screven? I hear it’s really good.

Barbecueboy
07-22-2020, 04:50 PM
Good and plentiful.....has always been my experience.

flagone
07-22-2020, 05:44 PM
People will think I am biased but I enjoyed pot roast, new potatoes, mac and cheese and green beans for lunch on Saturday. They also had sausage and peppers, fried chicken, bbq chicken, hamburger steak, pork chops, collards, cabbage, corn, rice and field peas that I saw.

Rajflyboy
07-22-2020, 05:50 PM
People will think I am biased but I enjoyed pot roast, new potatoes, mac and cheese and green beans for lunch on Saturday. They also had sausage and peppers, fried chicken, bbq chicken, hamburger steak, pork chops, collards, cabbage, corn, rice and field peas that I saw.Big menu for a dirt track. I guess I heard right 👍

B_K
07-22-2020, 06:24 PM
there was a bunch of it flowing down I65 as well.....

You both misspelled I-75. Well up here this is how we did it..... Cool, go back.

ZERO25
07-22-2020, 08:25 PM
Ill say it like this.....I dont believe most tracks are too scientific about their track prep. Coming from a 25 year agronomic background, it takes a fair amount of note taking and recording temps and humidity, to develop a good game plan for watering the track! Its simple math......it takes 467 gallons per 1000sf to equal 3/4" of water! Take that into consideration as well as a temp and humidity history and you could remove 90% of the guessing!

HIGH ROLLER
07-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Ill say it like this.....I dont believe most tracks are too scientific about their track prep. Coming from a 25 year agronomic background, it takes a fair amount of note taking and recording temps and humidity, to develop a good game plan for watering the track! Its simple math......it takes 467 gallons per 1000sf to equal 3/4" of water! Take that into consideration as well as a temp and humidity history and you could remove 90% of the guessing!

That could only come from you as you have all the answers ther genius. J S.

ZERO25
07-22-2020, 08:34 PM
That could only come from you as you have all the answers ther genius. J S.

Nope, its just a little science and common sense!

Barbecueboy
07-23-2020, 06:45 AM
People will think I am biased but I enjoyed pot roast, new potatoes, mac and cheese and green beans for lunch on Saturday. They also had sausage and peppers, fried chicken, bbq chicken, hamburger steak, pork chops, collards, cabbage, corn, rice and field peas that I saw.

That's what is so cool about it......every track in America has hamburgers , hotdogs and chicken fingers..
Screven has food you would expect to find at an old school country diner....and at very reasonable prices.

We love going down there for the racing....the food ( when we aren't cooking ourselves) is always a bonus......and the staff is always friendly, always.

fastford
07-23-2020, 08:38 AM
You both misspelled I-75. Well up here this is how we did it..... Cool, go back.

Up here ? i dont know what you mean , i am in central alabama , just a little south west of where you are , where do you expect me to go back to ? as for the spelling , i did not know i was being critiqued by you , but what ever,,,,,,,,BTW , i didnt mean I-75 , I meant what i wrote , I-65......

B_K
07-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Up here ? i dont know what you mean , i am in central alabama , just a little south west of where you are , where do you expect me to go back to ? as for the spelling , i did not know i was being critiqued by you , but what ever,,,,,,,,BTW , i didnt mean I-75 , I meant what i wrote , I-65......

I guess you completely misunderstood what I wrote, but whatever. He said I-95 which goes through the Carolinas. You said I-65 which goes through Bama. I-75 goes through Georgia and all will take the this is how we did it up here crowd home. That comment was not aimed at you, but them.

Doesn’t matter one way or the other. Carry on.

crownman25
07-23-2020, 10:50 AM
i hear about all this special food .I did for years so we made a trip down there one speedweeks and coulddn't wait to try the food but when we got there All they had was just so so typical race track hot dogs hamburgers ....

fastford
07-23-2020, 10:53 AM
10/4 BK , alls good my friend , just a bit confused , which i get that way a lot here lately , getting old i guess....lol....

flagone
07-23-2020, 11:43 AM
i hear about all this special food .I did for years so we made a trip down there one speedweeks and coulddn't wait to try the food but when we got there All they had was just so so typical race track hot dogs hamburgers ....

I can't recall ever going to Screven when they didn't have meat and 3. What year was this?