PDA

View Full Version : Tethering LF

Rock Farmer
09-01-2020, 05:57 AM
Can someone explain the theories on tethering the LF suspension? What is the effects of more LF droop or less LF droop?

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-01-2020, 06:46 AM
Can someone explain the theories on tethering the LF suspension? What is the effects of more LF droop or less LF droop?

It promotes exit understeer. It's very common in road racing to tether both fronts.

Jim11h
09-02-2020, 01:08 AM
So tightens exit? Had Driver tell me it allowed him to get in better and due to natural chassis force of car trying to lift lf, that the chassis fight forces lr bite/ traction. Hopefully explained his theory well

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-02-2020, 07:35 AM
So tightens exit? Had Driver tell me it allowed him to get in better and due to natural chassis force of car trying to lift lf, that the chassis fight forces lr bite/ traction. Hopefully explained his theory well

Once the tire is lifted, the unsprung weight is now left side sprung weight. Depending on on when this happens, it will affect entry or corner center as well.

Jking24
09-02-2020, 11:43 AM
Many drivers that had a very unbalanced car to begin with see huge gains everywhere from adding a tether. Mainly due to it helping the overall stability of the car at attitude

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-02-2020, 11:59 AM
Many drivers that had a very unbalanced car to begin with see huge gains everywhere from adding a tether. Mainly due to it helping the overall stability of the car at attitude

If your front end is suspect, getting a tire off the ground cures some ills.

dirty4life
09-04-2020, 11:53 AM
Why hasn't anyone built a sway bar that reverses the LF movement, and would shove down on LF as RF goes up?

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Why hasn't anyone built a sway bar that reverses the LF movement, and would shove down on LF as RF goes up?

The chain acts as a sway bar. Your roll center becomes the rf contact patch, when the lf leaves the surface.
What you describe would be pro roll.

Austin34471
09-04-2020, 10:47 PM
The chain acts as a sway bar. Your roll center becomes the rf contact patch, when the lf leaves the surface.
Well when the LF is on the chain but the tire is on the ground and the RF isn’t on a the bumpstop, the roll center is the LF contact patch.. then once it hits the RF bumpstop, the roll center moves back to the RF contact patch.. then when the tire leaves the roll center is DEFINITELY on the RF contact patch. I just don’t know how we can even make laps without crashing with all of this dynamic roll center movement! :-o

racer2e
09-05-2020, 12:52 AM
They have made a bar that promotes roll. It is "Z" shaped and was used on formula VEE cars. I have often thought of using on diagonally on the RF/LR.

95shaw
09-06-2020, 07:47 PM

So, the next evolution would be heavy components on this corner of car?

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-06-2020, 10:56 PM
So, the next evolution would be heavy components on this corner of car?

I saw weights on the lower control arm of fast cars at least 5 years ago.

Krooser
10-17-2020, 08:14 AM
So how does one determine how long the chain is and the correct mounting?

billetbirdcage
10-17-2020, 08:59 AM
So how does one determine how long the chain is and the correct mounting?

Honestly trial and error, if you have a car old enough they didn't have a setting for it. I would start around 1.5" extended from ride height measuring pin to pin on the shock, then adjust from there. You can rough adjust in 3/8 to 1/2" adjustments and then fine tune it from there once you find what you or the car likes.

Your better to start off longer then shorter, least from a less messing with ya stand point.