PDA

View Full Version : WVMS reopening?

Scott Boesel
09-05-2020, 09:44 PM
Saw on Facebook that West Virginia Motor Speedway plans to reopen for 2021 and going back to its 5/8 track. I would post the link but I have no clue how but it’s on 357 world of dirts Facebook page. Sure hope it’s true that would be awesome

Hoosier_Dirt
09-05-2020, 09:56 PM
Too big of a track

Pennsboro32
09-05-2020, 09:57 PM
Yes, lots of work going on there lately. Great facility when kept up.

Bill31
09-05-2020, 10:23 PM
Love the big track, seen some really good racing there. Wendell Wallace winning the DTWC from 27th and Davey Johnson 32nd to 2nd to him.

intel8
09-05-2020, 10:27 PM
Hillside seating was great, good place for DTWC.

zer018
09-05-2020, 10:44 PM
Too big of a track

Well then, they should halt the re-opening since you spoke your opinion. Thanks we will not miss you when it’s a go!

bleedblue55
09-06-2020, 05:30 AM
Quite the undertaking given the condition of WVMS due to years of no occupancy. Have no reason to doubt Cody Watson and that gang won't pull it off. Constant improvements at Tyler County over the last few years and what they've done at Ohio Valley this year should be commended.

Pennsboro32
09-06-2020, 08:45 AM
I only worry about car counts at that place. Seems like local cars quit going to WVMS years ago when the prices of the sport went up. I believe the last time WoO was there, they had around 21 late models and that was the shortened track.

If they can get the support from the local cars, the place has a bright future. I look forward to watching a variety of different shows there.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-06-2020, 09:02 AM
I only worry about car counts at that place. Seems like local cars quit going to WVMS years ago when the prices of the sport went up. I believe the last time WoO was there, they had around 21 late models and that was the shortened track.

If they can get the support from the local cars, the place has a bright future. I look forward to watching a variety of different shows there.

Wv has a lot of late models, but not many that have the financial means to go run a track like that. That's why it's closed and will close again.

Barbecueboy
09-06-2020, 09:12 AM
Since we are all spending their money ,They could fashion a smaller flatter track inside it for the local racing and make everyone happy.

TerryM
09-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Wv has a lot of late models, but not many that have the financial means to go run a track like that. That's why it's closed and will close again.
Unfortunately that’s the truth. If they reopen it as a 5/8, it has no chance.

bleedblue55
09-06-2020, 09:36 AM
Since we are all spending their money ,They could fashion a smaller flatter track inside it for the local racing and make everyone happy.

Same people have 2 tracks within the area for their weekly shows, Tyler County and Ohio Valley. I doubt they're looking upon WVMS as anything but a special events venue.

bleedblue55
09-06-2020, 09:45 AM
You all sound like broken records, too big skip, too big skip, too big. Obviously you've never been to Port Royal which is smack dab in the middle of sprint territory and has become the late model destination for most of the cars in Pa.

zyoung25
09-06-2020, 09:54 AM
I hope it comes back. I'll be there to watch again.

Barbecueboy
09-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Same people have 2 tracks within the area for their weekly shows, Tyler County and Ohio Valley. I doubt they're looking upon WVMS as anything but a special events venue.

That makes more sense.....Ill go when they do, never been, just heard the stories.

Stefan2k20
09-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Variety is important. In my opinion, part of the decline of Nascar may have been related to too many cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks. Having a variety of different track configurations keeps things interesting and gives individual tracks their own character. Why should people come to watch a race at your racetrack when it's no different from all the others? Anyway, I think it's a great idea!

EvelB7
09-06-2020, 10:53 AM
Personally hope they bring it back for special events. Place would change drastically throughout the program, fun to adapt and change the car to keep up with it; felt like running Daytona when we ran crates there.

Josh Bayko
09-06-2020, 10:54 AM
You all sound like broken records, too big skip, too big skip, too big. Obviously you've never been to Port Royal which is smack dab in the middle of sprint territory and has become the late model destination for most of the cars in Pa.

It’s quite a bit bigger than Port Royal even.

TerryM
09-06-2020, 11:09 AM
I haven’t been to Port Royal, but I’ve watched a bunch of Port Royal shows on Flo Racing. It’s nothing at all like WVMS. Believe me, I want all tracks to succeed. For three years back in the 90’s, I lived 15 minutes from WVMS. Went there many many times, and several times since then too. The facility is absolutely beautiful. I love everything about the place — except the 5/8 mile track. Yes, there has occasionally been a good race there, but it’s usually an attrition show. All I know is, most drivers don’t like it and won’t regularly support it. Now if the plan is to only have a few special events, that might work. But if they want to draw 50-60 cars, it’ll take a huge purse. I really hope it works out. For anyone who hasn’t been there, I highly recommend making the trip. Just to see the place. When it’s been completely cleaned up and manicured, there aren’t many more beautiful natural settings for a race track.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-06-2020, 12:52 PM

1) how many times has Port Royal closed?
2) are they even the same size?
3) the demographics of pennsylvania and wv lm racing are quite different.

NeedforLMspeed
09-06-2020, 01:34 PM
Obviously you've never been to Port Royal which is smack dab in the middle of sprint territory and has become the late model destination for most of the cars in Pa.

Helps when they pay good. Looks like between $3k and $5k when they are scheduled with the exception of the Lucas race

bleedblue55
09-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Skip, Skip, Skip, Skip, Scrape

chupp n bloomer fan
09-06-2020, 05:01 PM
1) how many times has Port Royal closed?
2) are they even the same size?
3) the demographics of pennsylvania and wv lm racing are quite different.You and Terry are correct. And I loved the place. The seating is the best period. Racing not too bad, but apparently some have Alzheimer’s.

The last DTWC there had I believe 49 cars.

The reconfigured track was not well thought out. Terrible shape for a track. They can try the 5/8, I just remember the decline as the prices went up, there counts went south real quick. And Ohio Valley and Tyler County are nothing like WVMS. Port Royal may be close, never been there, but only comparison I have is PMS with more banking.

I like WVMS and would love to go back, he!!, I’d love to go back to Pennsboro, just gotta think of an areas financial situation, the track itself, etc.

I hope they pull it off and I’d like to go back, but I would shorten it too. Just a better shape.

bleedblue55
09-06-2020, 05:41 PM
Who said Ohio Valley and Tyler were like WVMS? I said the same people doing WVMS already run OVS and Tyler on Fri and Sat every week and WVMS would likely be a special events venue. Argument for arguments sake and like it or not car counts went down across the board when all the special events went with a sanction. The car counts at Eldora would drop some if they WOO sanctioned instead of UMP and handed out provisionals.

Pennsboro32
09-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Who said Ohio Valley and Tyler were like WVMS? I said the same people doing WVMS already run OVS and Tyler on Fri and Sat every week and WVMS would likely be a special events venue. Argument for arguments sake and like it or not car counts went down across the board when all the special events went with a sanction. The car counts at Eldora would drop some if they WOO sanctioned instead of UMP and handed out provisionals.

Like someone mentioned before, the Mid Ohio valley doesn’t have enough late models regionally that will support big shows at WVMS unfortunately. I hope I’m wrong, but you’re most likely not going to see locals or regional guys like the Carpenters, Garnes, Burdette and others at WVMS. There’s too much risk for them to run there which drastically lowers car counts for WoO or Lucas races.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Who said Ohio Valley and Tyler were like WVMS? I said the same people doing WVMS already run OVS and Tyler on Fri and Sat every week and WVMS would likely be a special events venue. Argument for arguments sake and like it or not car counts went down across the board when all the special events went with a sanction. The car counts at Eldora would drop some if they WOO sanctioned instead of UMP and handed out provisionals.No one did sweetheart. But they are both smaller tracks that still get a decent draw and aren’t as hard on cars. WVMS is none of them things, why they shortened it. They didn’t think it out, but they were on the right track. I loved WVMS, went quite a bit. I don’t think it’ll make it as a 5/8. Maybe tweak it to a 4/10 or something with a good shape, I dunno. As a 5/8 it’s a lost cause to me.

They do hand out provisionals at Eldora. And car counts aren’t dropping at Eldora over who sanctions it. WVMS in no way can be compared to Eldora. Not at all.

zyoung25
09-06-2020, 08:10 PM
CnB, where you been? I was starting to think you got the huck treatment.

Buford.Justice
09-06-2020, 08:31 PM
Nothing wrong with them going back to 5/8 if it's a special events track. Very little different than a half miler and many of them have of lot of success.

You have to set the car up accordingly for every size track. Gear up!!

Krooser
09-07-2020, 04:45 AM
Saw one race there in the 70's...wow!

dirtcrazy4u
09-07-2020, 06:23 AM
To big, 5/8. To fast, hard on equipment. Never going to survive as a weekly or bi weekly track. Only thing I could see is a handful of bigger purse races. Securing woo or lucas is another big issue because with out a touring series it's not going to happen.

Pennsboro32
09-07-2020, 08:41 AM
To big, 5/8. To fast, hard on equipment. Never going to survive as a weekly or bi weekly track. Only thing I could see is a handful of bigger purse races. Securing woo or lucas is another big issue because with out a touring series it's not going to happen.

I don’t think they have plans to run weekly or bi weekly. Special events only, things such as concerts, etc..

bleedblue55
09-07-2020, 09:07 AM
The same guy who promotes Tyler County is doing it so maybe he plans on moving the Hillbilly there. Both the Hillbilly and DTWC have been run at WVMS in the past.

Pennsboro32
09-07-2020, 09:12 AM
The same guy who promotes Tyler County is doing it so maybe he plans on moving the Hillbilly there. Both the Hillbilly and DTWC have been run at WVMS in the past.

I would have no complaints with the DTWC going to WVMS.

TerryM
09-07-2020, 09:18 AM
I just saw some recent pics of the place. I had no idea it had turned into this. Did they get rid of the backstretch bleachers? All I see is a small bleacher section going into Turn Three. If it looks like this now, they should just make a brand new track — maybe a 1/2 — because it would be pretty simple (relatively speaking lol) to just bulldoze both previous layouts into one. They’re obviously willing to put money into it and there is, the way it’s laid out now, plenty of clean earth to move around with nothing in the way.

TerryM
09-07-2020, 09:21 AM
I would have no complaints with the DTWC going to WVMS.
Haha, of course you wouldn’t. You’re only a few minutes away. It’s like when I lived in Parkersburg. I loved having the big shows close by lol. I just hope they do something magical with the place. It was a jewel at one time.

bleedblue55
09-07-2020, 09:34 AM
There's a Facebook page that has a few pics, https://www.facebook.com/groups/336924336451104/

JabberJaws83
09-07-2020, 07:58 PM
It’s official, the 5/8’s is coming back in /021

HoosierDirtFan
09-07-2020, 08:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Og9k3L6.jpg

Posted on the tracks new Facebook page just about an hour ago.

Their NEW Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/visitwvms/

West Virginia Motor Speedway
49m ·
💥📢 BREAKING NEWS! 📢💥
~~ ITS OFFICIAL ~~
> West Virginia Motor Speedway Set To Re-Open In 2021 <

(Middlebourne, WV) – West Virginia Motor Speedway located along I-77 in Mineral Wells, WV is returning in 2021! The new venture is led by thirty one year old promoter Cody Watson with ambitious plans matched with a relentless work ethic and five star staff. The 'crew' brings decades of experience to the tall task of turning around the historic speedway while establishing it as an elite entertainment destination and the “Worlds Fastest Dirt Track!”

Opening on May 19, 1985 the West Virginia Motor Speedway has witnessed some of the biggest events in racing as well as its recent eight year stint with the gates closed over its 36 year history. Opening as a state of the art venue, Watson and company are excited to revamp and breath new life into the massive motorsports destination.

The team has a complete and detailed arrangement for the speedways future years. It reopening in 2021 includes its current “phase one” plan featuring a warrior like clean up effort and blue collar rebuild of the dated facility. Hundreds of thousands will be spent in the first phase restoration undertaking as fans return for the first time in nearly a decade with new events and an ultra-cool re-branding of the WVMS on full display.

A new logo, website, social media and signage overhaul will highlight the new branding look of WVMS with a complete renovation of the facility structures already underway. Dirt that was hauled in for the shortening of the speedway in 2011 is currently being removed as the new group returns to the 5/8 mile proprietary being dubbed “The Worlds Fastest Dirt Track”.

Additionally, the group plans to increase banking on the dirt oval, widen turn four, install new Whelen Safety Lighting, improve race fencing and more in a studied effort to introduce safe and exciting racing action back to the larger speedway.

In addition to the momentous clean up effort that should be commended by all major renovations will take place prior to its scheduled reopening in 2021 including a modernization of facilities and the race fan experience. The main VIP & Race Control tower has taken on a complete overhaul inside and out. Buildings will receive new roofs and face-lifts, new pit amenities adopted, new concessions equipment has been purchased, ticketing added, vip seating is being increased, enhanced camping & parking and much more will greet anxious fans back upon arrival to the new WVMS in the spring of 2021.

The redesigned WVMS ushers in its immediate return to the top as West Virginia's most prestigious motorsports venues as well as one of the most beautiful in all of dirt track racing. The state of the art, high-banked oval leaves fans breathless as they witness the 'Worlds Fastest Dirt Track' in action. Fans will welcome back the biggest stars in racing as they take part in awe-inspiring activity piloting their earth-shredding machines at top speeds that defy well over 150mph.

WVMS intends to boast a fun but family friendly atmosphere combined with world class facilities to attracts fans and amusement from all over the nation. A fully packed extravaganza of entertainment events offers an unimaginable amount of satisfaction to the proud group of consumers that attend the speedways return. With an emphasis on the fan experience and continued facility improvements, WVMS, will create lasting wonderful memories for families to reminisce for many years to come.

Since being crafted marvelously in 1984 the West Virginia Motor Speedway has played host to some of the sports biggest events and brightest stars. Boasting one of the most beautiful settings and seats in dirt track racing while nestled attractively into the wild and wonderful mountains of small town Mineral Wells, West Virginia the 5/8 mile terraced hillside sits conveniently adjacent popular Interstate 77 for effortless access.

Home to the 'Worlds Fastest Dirt Track' ™, WVMS, blows you away with its incredible racing action and thrill seeking speed. Affectionately known as “The Speedplant” the 70-acre site is undergoing a massive renovation for its reopening for 2021 in claiming its place among the premier dirt tracks in the entire country.

The West Virginia Motor Speedway, a 5/8 mile clay oval is located in Mineral Wells, WV take exit 170 off I-77, just south of Parkersburg, WV. For more information on 'The Motorsports Capital of Cool' view them on the web at www.visitwvms.com. You can also email track offices at visitwvms@gmail.com or call # 304-771-5051. Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/visitwvms. Track Location; 2 Matheny Road, Mineral Wells, WV 26150.

zyoung25
09-07-2020, 08:14 PM
I'm 45mins from prp, I would not be the least bit mad if they moved the dtwc back to the speed plant. Which I feel like is probably the plan.

zer018
09-07-2020, 09:40 PM
Thanks for bringing the speed plant back to life again!! We never attended an event after the track was re-configured. Thanks again for bringing it back to its original size!!

NeedforLMspeed
09-07-2020, 09:52 PM
I'll let you guess who won. Unless you already know.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xctCYZ6UJic

weatherman85
09-08-2020, 08:32 AM
^^^^^

The best looking car Bloomquist ever ran IMO.

GottaGoFast
09-08-2020, 05:50 PM
I heard they may be looking at 10-15 multi night special events and possibly not having weekly racing.

HoosierDirtFan
09-16-2020, 10:49 PM
West Virginia Motor Speedway

Here are some pictures that have been posted on Facebook in the last 2 days.
6 pictures.
click on the links below.

West Virginia Motor Speedway - Tracks New Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/visitwvms/photos/a.108077047710657/108077027710659/?type=3&theater

Zach Yost Racing Photography
https://www.facebook.com/ZachYostRacingPhotography/photos/pcb.3324382244317712/3324368004319136/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/ZachYostRacingPhotography/photos/pcb.3324382244317712/3324368127652457/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/ZachYostRacingPhotography/photos/pcb.3324382244317712/3324368214319115/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/ZachYostRacingPhotography/photos/pcb.3324382244317712/3324368407652429/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/ZachYostRacingPhotography/photos/pcb.3324382244317712/3324368777652392/?type=3&theater

turnleftandgasit
09-17-2020, 07:45 AM
My buddy and I had talked about going to MS to see a race this year. Then COVID happened. They open this joint up and I will switch the trip to here. Drove by this place many times in the semi, and never got to stop.

Escobar
09-17-2020, 08:04 AM
^^^^^

The best looking car Bloomquist ever ran IMO.

Yes it was.

Rajflyboy
09-17-2020, 08:08 AM
I 77 with a lot of racing history. It would be cool to get this track on I77 back up and running and I still hope Chester county SC I77 track re opens some day

Escobar
09-17-2020, 08:21 AM
I heard they may be looking at 10-15 multi night special events and possibly not having weekly racing.

WVMS can’t support weekly racing anymore. It costs too much $$ to unlock the gates for it. I’m not even sure an unsanctioned $10-15k show could break even. There is hardly a date open due to all of the other “special” events scheduled around the WoO and LOLMDS schedules.

I really do hope the crew can make this go. Some of my fondest racing memories are from that place during the DTWC and other events.

Pennsboro32
09-17-2020, 08:24 AM
I believe 10-15 multi night events is a littler exaggerated. I've heard 5-6 races next season which would be great.

zyoung25
09-17-2020, 11:42 AM
We skipped out on the dtwc the year they ran the "charter racefest" show. Very weird weekend. I remember getting home on Monday morning, and thinking i had to be at school. My dad told me to go back to bed because it was too late to even worry about going. Luckily the principal was a local late model racer himself, he knew what had went on. I still got the ticket stub in my collection somewhere.

raburke23
09-17-2020, 03:50 PM
When they move the DTWC and the Hillbilly to WVMS in 2021, this place instantly earns its credibility back! They can also have huge steel block races, mod shows and sprint shows. 5-6 weekends would be ideal for 2021.

HoosierDirtFan
09-18-2020, 01:59 PM
Here is a 2minute & 5 second video posted about an hour ago looks looks you can see the track again with out the grass on it. Looks like a lot of work going on.

https://www.facebook.com/movlrr/videos/310203180281019

BTExpress
09-18-2020, 02:53 PM
I had the opportunity of seeing a race only one time at WVMS, back in the late 80's while visiting my in-laws. At the time I thought it was the coolest state of the art dirt track that I had ever seen, even with in ground sprinklers to water the track...not the same track that I remember in it's current state....Man it does look big though compared to most dirt tracks of today's era.

Hillbilly304
09-18-2020, 04:05 PM
Cant imagine the speed that todays cars will carry up on the big 5/8 mile. If they add a little banking i bet we will see sub 18 second laps

chupp n bloomer fan
09-18-2020, 05:25 PM
We skipped out on the dtwc the year they ran the "charter racefest" show. Very weird weekend. I remember getting home on Monday morning, and thinking i had to be at school. My dad told me to go back to bed because it was too late to even worry about going. Luckily the principal was a local late model racer himself, he knew what had went on. I still got the ticket stub in my collection somewhere.I remember when they did the Boro day, WVMS at night, might have been the Freedom 100. I think KC thought that meant he was free to not pay Birky lol.

Only way I see it working, is to get WVMS and another decently close track to work together and have specials. I wish them the best, best seating there is, we shall see.

Went to WVMS probably 4 times. Some with my Mom, cousin, and my wife. Do miss it.

Pennsboro32
09-18-2020, 07:01 PM
I remember when they did the Boro day, WVMS at night, might have been the Freedom 100. I think KC thought that meant he was free to not pay Birky lol.

Only way I see it working, is to get WVMS and another decently close track to work together and have specials. I wish them the best, best seating there is, we shall see.

Went to WVMS probably 4 times. Some with my Mom, cousin, and my wife. Do miss it.

You’re correct about the Freedom 100.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-18-2020, 08:49 PM
112 cars, and Duayne Hommel was one of them.

zer018
09-18-2020, 10:10 PM
Does anyone remember Purvis in ‘87 winning and blowing his engine as he crossed the finish line?
That was my first trip to Mineral Wells.

TerryM
09-18-2020, 10:51 PM
I wasn’t there in ‘87, but I was there for the whole weekend in ‘88. Before that, I’d only traveled to big events at three tracks — Florence, Eldora and Brownstown. In ‘88, me and my little brother decided we were going to expand our racing map. Our previous max was the three hour drive to Eldora. So we headed to Pennsboro and WVMS. A 5-hour trip. We thought that was huge back then lol. I hated Pennsboro, and have ever since. On the other hand, WVMS was spectacular. The prettiest race track and race venue I’d ever seen. A young guy named Donnie Moran won both shows that weekend and instantly became my favorite driver for the next 20 years. No DLM driver has ever had more success before the age of 25, than Donnie Moran. He kicked ass.

But my question is ... what was the name of that WVMS event back then? I can still picture the MAARN ad in my head. Was it World Race of Champions? Or something like that?

Hovlane
09-19-2020, 04:40 AM
If I remember correctly they had the outside wall plumbed with a sprinkler system, Just turn the valve on and the whole track was water in a matter of a few minutes. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Still had to run in though.

EvelB7
09-19-2020, 06:41 AM
Purvis blowing up was my first trip there as well. Moran had that race won, I believe it was Gundaker he was trying to lap and let Purvis by him.

zer018
09-19-2020, 09:13 AM
Terry I believe it was called the “Professional Racers Organization”. I was on the other side with your opinion on Pennsboro. It had me hooked when we would arrive before daylight seeing all the haulers packed into the infield and watching them filter in off route 50. I miss those times!

zyoung25
09-19-2020, 12:52 PM
If I remember correctly they had the outside wall plumbed with a sprinkler system, Just turn the valve on and the whole track was water in a matter of a few minutes. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Still had to run in though.

I can't remember ever seeing it in action, but it was most definetly there. Maybe I was just too young to remember.

bleedblue55
09-19-2020, 01:51 PM
I can't remember ever seeing it in action, but it was most definetly there. Maybe I was just too young to remember.

Believe is was only operational for a short period. Always heard freezing weather and not being completely drained did it in.

rdcllk
09-19-2020, 02:03 PM
I can't remember what year it was. I seen it working. It wasn't working properly. It was watering the top of the track. Then was using trucks to water the bottom
That was back when it was a Winston NASCAR sanctioned track. No sure what that even was. There was a big sign about it. In the middle of turns 1 and 2
I always liked that place. Attended many events there.
Along with doing the rt 50 shuffle. Great times

chupp n bloomer fan
09-19-2020, 07:56 PM
If I remember correctly they had the outside wall plumbed with a sprinkler system, Just turn the valve on and the whole track was water in a matter of a few minutes. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Still had to run in though.Yeah, if they would have maintained it, they coulda kept using it. But the maintenance you couldn’t skimp on, or you’d destroy stuff.

I’m guessing it was more of a PIA than they foreseen it being.

Bill31
09-22-2020, 10:55 PM
Krooser Krooser

"(Saw one race there in the 70's...wow!)"

LOL