PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Gustin

OkieDirtFan
10-25-2020, 02:23 AM
The Reaper is one of the most underrated drivers out there in my humble opinion. The man can flat out wheel it and he put on a show tonight at the 41st Annual Spooker @ Tri-State Speedway. He became the first driver to ever win in both the modified and the late model class. In the mod, He started dead last in a B feature since he wasn’t there for heat races yesterday and finished 3rd. Started the feature 16th and drove to the front and outgunned Chad Wheeler for the win. The late model race was a little bit different story, he started on the pole, but battled with Kyle Beard for the first 12 laps or so until it became caution plagued and they could barely get a lap in. I know he hasn’t been racing much since the incident with his shop, but I sure do enjoy every time I get to watch him run.

wreck
10-25-2020, 03:57 AM
Gustin was on a rail tonight, that's for sure. I haven't been to Tri-State in several years, but with the reconfiguration they did, tonight was the best racing I've ever seen there. They can actually run the outside apart from the late models putting rubber down. They do need to do something about the turn 1 wall, maybe arc it a bit more. It's kinda dangerous there, reminds me of Lone Star Speedway in TX.

kazual
10-25-2020, 06:10 AM
Always been a fan since his early mod days, he leaves it on the track for sure.

JimBo
10-25-2020, 01:23 PM
Gustin was on a rail tonight, that's for sure. I haven't been to Tri-State in several years, but with the reconfiguration they did, tonight was the best racing I've ever seen there. They can actually run the outside apart from the late models putting rubber down. They do need to do something about the turn 1 wall, maybe arc it a bit more. It's kinda dangerous there, reminds me of Lone Star Speedway in TX.

I haven't been to try State State in several years either. What reconfiguration did they do?

AllenK
10-25-2020, 02:02 PM
We haven't been in a few years,but The Spooker was always a fun race to go to. I've heard stories of 400-600 car counts,and the Friday portion getting over with as the sun was rising. The racing was always so-so,but it was entertaining just to watch the cars fly around that place. Love the view as the sun sets over those fields the track overlooks.

We always went to World Burger in Fort Smith before the races before it shut down. They had incredible burgers,but the shutdown could've been for lack of business or by the health department.

Tri-State is the only place I've ever seen a water truck crash. It was a truck and trailer type,and the driver got loose coming out of 4. He smacked the inside wall and sent dust and onlookers flying.

OkieDirtFan
10-25-2020, 02:16 PM
Gustin was on a rail tonight, that's for sure. I haven't been to Tri-State in several years, but with the reconfiguration they did, tonight was the best racing I've ever seen there. They can actually run the outside apart from the late models putting rubber down. They do need to do something about the turn 1 wall, maybe arc it a bit more. It's kinda dangerous there, reminds me of Lone Star Speedway in TX.I live 20 minutes away and used to just go out of obligation. Spent many a night watching a locked down track. The new owners have done a great job over the last few years making needed changes and hopefully it continues to get better. Last night was the fastest I have ever seen the track. According to MyRacePass, Beard had the fastest lap with a 16.128 which is getting extremely close to the track record which I believe is a 15.9 set by Chubb Frank. If they would have ran more green flag laps I believe that would have been broken, as it continued to pick up speed as the race progressed.

OkieDirtFan
10-25-2020, 02:22 PM
We haven't been in a few years,but The Spooker was always a fun race to go to. I've heard stories of 400-600 car counts,and the Friday portion getting over with as the sun was rising. The racing was always so-so,but it was entertaining just to watch the cars fly around that place. Love the view as the sun sets over those fields the track overlooks. We always went to World Burger in Fort Smith before the races before it shut down. They had incredible burgers,but the shutdown could've been for lack of business or by the health department.Tri-State is the only place I've ever seen a water truck crash. It was a truck and trailer type,and the driver got loose coming out of 4. He smacked the inside wall and sent dust and onlookers flying.Hahaha sounds about right. They had 256 there last night and it was 1:45 when the late model race was over. Still had a B-Mod, Super Stock, and 100 lap Enduro race left. Can’t remember the year, but it was sometime in the early 2000’s and there was over 400 cars... they finished the late model race at 4AM that year. Definitely a spectacle to watch... there were 5 rollovers last night and 3 on Friday night.

Cooleo74
10-25-2020, 03:47 PM
If someone would get him in a quality ride he be just as good as Ricky Thornton or Strickler

RacingDirt82
10-25-2020, 04:37 PM
There is only one REAPER...and that the Fairbury Illinois REAPER Mckay Wenger #42 Thats a true Reaper!!!

zyoung25
10-25-2020, 05:06 PM
If someone would get him in a quality ride he be just as good as Ricky Thornton or Strickler

I've always wondered what would've been IF the Gressel ride had lasted longer than it did.

Cooleo74
10-25-2020, 05:44 PM
I've always wondered what would've been IF the Gressel ride had lasted longer than it did.At the time guy was the best modified driver in the country. Bloomer came to Mississippi Thunder Speedway for the big money and ran 2nd to the reaper

Dlmfan123
10-25-2020, 06:37 PM
Also gustin had one of the best quotes after getting dumped by terblow. Race with squirrels u get ur nuts cracked

NeedforLMspeed
10-25-2020, 06:41 PM
At the time guy was the best modified driver in the country. Bloomer came to Mississippi Thunder Speedway for the big money and ran 2nd to the reaper

The impressive part was Bloomquist running second considering that was probably his second time in a modified.

TeamGRT12x
10-25-2020, 08:03 PM

Our ride is as good as anyone’s. We put the time in every day. Coming from a modified background it’s been a learning curve for sure. Add in I got burned in the shop fire and everything else, I’m happy with the year we are having.

Dlmfan123
10-25-2020, 08:32 PM
^thats what I was thinking

TeNfOMaFiA69
10-25-2020, 09:12 PM
There is only one REAPER...and that the Fairbury Illinois REAPER Mckay Wenger #42 Thats a true Reaper!!!

I like McKay but there’s really no comparison... Wenger isn’t even in the same atmosphere as Gustin

JimBo
10-25-2020, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=AllenK;2364429]We haven't been in a few years,but The Spooker was always a fun race to go to. I've heard stories of 400-600 car counts,and the Friday portion getting over with as the sun was rising. The racing was always so-so,but it was entertaining just to watch the cars fly around that place. Love the view as the sun sets over those fields the track overlooks.

I was there crewing the year we had 400+ cars and our Late model heat was over after 3:00AM. The Mod heats started after that. They did not finish up until 3 hours+ later while we slept in the camper. There were cars there from as far away as Washington state. Incredible amount of cars there and without a doubt the longest night I ever had at the race track.

Mod Runner
10-26-2020, 12:34 AM
Good to hear Ryan Gustin had a great weekend after having had such a tragic start to the season with the fire and all. Not many racers can recover so quickly after having their race car and garage burn. I look for several wins from Gustin in 2021.

0_VodooChild_0
10-26-2020, 02:21 AM
I've always wondered what would've been IF the Gressel ride had lasted longer than it did.The Gressel ride still exsists today. There are money reasons why Gustin & Thornton both walked away from that ride. McKay Wenger???? Who is she?????

0_VodooChild_0
10-26-2020, 02:27 AM
Ryan, you & your team are doing great. Don't let the 4m trolls get you mad or upset enough to reply to them. They are not worthy of your time. Seriously, the best thing to do is NOT even reply to these knuckleheads. Good luck

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-26-2020, 07:00 AM
Ryan, you & your team are doing great. Don't let the 4m trolls get you mad or upset enough to reply to them. They are not worthy of your time. Seriously, the best thing to do is NOT even reply to these knuckleheads. Good luck

I don't think anyone is trolling. I think they are saying he would do better in a car where there wasn't a learning curve. He took it to mean his equipment was no good.

Jking24
10-26-2020, 07:06 AM
I don't feel like anybody hear insinuated his equipment isn't good. I took it as they wish he would have more opportunities to race that a good ride has to offer. The guy has been really good lately and super consistent. I too would love to see Ryan get the opportunity to race more

WisWildManFan
10-26-2020, 09:31 AM
comparing the two reapers is nonsense... ump country vs imca country is apples to oranges.

Highside Hustler25
10-26-2020, 10:33 AM
The Gressel ride still exsists today. There are money reasons why Gustin & Thornton both walked away from that ride. McKay Wenger???? Who is she?????

How about a track champion at the greatest dirt track in America

powerslide
10-26-2020, 10:38 AM
comparing the two reapers is nonsense... ump country vs imca country is apples to oranges.

Except the real reaper came to the hell tour and made some noise this year then won the mod and late model portion of the spooker in one year. Where was that other reaper at during all that?

I think when people see the late model and dont know the owners and its not the blue 1, or one of the other top 10 teams they take it as being below average quality. I dont think you go run the amount of times he has and run up front without it being a quality ride. He is an above average wheelman and seems to be able to relay what the car needs and parlays that into top 3 finishes and pays some bills.

zach51
10-26-2020, 10:44 AM
We haven't been in a few years,but The Spooker was always a fun race to go to. I've heard stories of 400-600 car counts,and the Friday portion getting over with as the sun was rising. The racing was always so-so,but it was entertaining just to watch the cars fly around that place. Love the view as the sun sets over those fields the track overlooks.

We always went to World Burger in Fort Smith before the races before it shut down. They had incredible burgers,but the shutdown could've been for lack of business or by the health department.

Tri-State is the only place I've ever seen a water truck crash. It was a truck and trailer type,and the driver got loose coming out of 4. He smacked the inside wall and sent dust and onlookers flying.

I spent my first 25 years of life in Fort Smith. Raced tri-state for the 2005 season in a hairball front wheel drive class before I decided I wanted to get into the 600cc micro sprints that looked a lot more fun and surprisingly more safe. I spent every Saturday night at that track from the time I was about 10 until about 21. Good times. Definitely lots of late Spooker nights. I think there was a couple of years there where Moyer (and Kyle Berck I think one time) took the checkered flag to win the late models at well after 4-5 AM Sunday morning. That event used to be about the Arklahoma equivalent to the EAMS National 100. The first year I moved down to Florida I went up to that National 100 weekend and felt like I was right at home at the Spooker!

Highside Hustler25
10-26-2020, 12:09 PM
Except the real reaper came to the hell tour and made some noise this year

I can't remember, how many S.N. events did he win?

0_VodooChild_0
10-26-2020, 01:05 PM
comparing the two reapers is nonsense... ump country vs imca country is apples to oranges.I don't believe Ryan Gustin has raced an IMCA car in several several years IF he did at all. So, to say UMP vs IMCA is a crock of crap. Ryan Gustin raced USMTS for several championships & over 100 USMTS wins while Wegner raced a bunch of nobodies to win a weekly track championship Reaper goes to GUSTIN

0_VodooChild_0
10-26-2020, 01:06 PM
I can't remember, how many S.N. events did he win?How many did wegner even run????

NeedforLMspeed
10-26-2020, 01:18 PM
How many did wegner even run????

1 at Fals. Says DNS on his website but on DoD it says he finished 20th. That was in between winning 4 out of 5 events there

WisWildManFan
10-26-2020, 01:18 PM
I don't believe Ryan Gustin has raced an IMCA car in several several years IF he did at all. So, to say UMP vs IMCA is a crock of crap. Ryan Gustin raced USMTS for several championships & over 100 USMTS wins while Wegner raced a bunch of nobodies to win a weekly track championship Reaper goes to GUSTINUSMTS are guys that can't hack it in late models. It shows the budget Gustin has compared to Wenger if anything. When he starts getting wins in a UMP late model we can talk.

NeedforLMspeed
10-26-2020, 01:24 PM
He has a couple Lucas MLRA wins in the past month or two...

Highside Hustler25
10-26-2020, 01:26 PM
Just going out on a limb here but I would say Ryan Gustin races full time.Wenger has a day job.

0_VodooChild_0
10-26-2020, 01:36 PM
USMTS are guys that can't hack it in late models. It shows the budget Gustin has compared to Wenger if anything. When he starts getting wins in a UMP late model we can talk.So USMTS is for guys that can't hack it in late models, huh?? Seems Ricky Thornton Jr. can handle late models just fine. Ryan Gustin won late model races in the Gressel ride. Seems you should probably look into facts. Wegner may win at a UMP weekly race but where is he when the lights are turned on??? I mean where does he finish when thre likes of Sheppard, Erb, Shirley, Babb, Simpson...etc show up. Guy can't finish in the top 5 if he even qualifies. Ryan Gustin is 10 times the wheelman McKay Wegner will ever be.

NeedforLMspeed
10-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Didn't Wenger get popped for tires or am I thinking of someone else.

WisWildManFan
10-26-2020, 01:44 PM
Winning in a UMP late model weekly show ??? You must be kidding? Gustin is 10 times the wheelman Wenger will EVER be. You can hang on Wenger nuts all you want, I'll still take Gustin to wheel a car over "YOUR" boyAll I know is when I'm hanging on the 42's nuts you will still be behind us riding on your boys scrotum

0_VodooChild_0
10-26-2020, 01:45 PM
Just going out on a limb here but I would say Ryan Gustin races full time.Wenger has a day job.That may be true but WisWildManFan seems to think that Wegner could hang with the best of the best because he won the track championship at a UMP track. That must make Wegner the best ever according to WisWildManFan.

WisWildManFan
10-26-2020, 01:47 PM
So USMTS is for guys that can't hack it in late models, huh?? Seems Ricky Thornton Jr. can handle late models just fine. Ryan Gustin won late model races in the Gressel ride. Seems you should probably look into facts. Wegner may win at a UMP weekly race but where is he when the lights are turned on??? I mean where does he finish when thre likes of Sheppard, Erb, Shirley, Babb, Simpson...etc show up. Guy can't finish in the top 5 if he even qualifies. Ryan Gustin is 10 times the wheelman McKay Wegner will ever be.Blah Blah Blah still not impressed with him

0_VodooChild_0
All I know is when I'm hanging on the 42's nuts you will still be behind us riding on your boys scrotumYou kill me. You must be a fan of Poo power motors too. Not a fan of Gustin, just know a race car driver when I see one. Just a fan of racing. I have no dog in this fight but to say Gustin isn't anything till he wins a UMP weekly late model show, shows you don't know crap

WisWildManFan
That may be true but WisWildManFan seems to think that Wegner could hang with the best of the best because he won the track championship at a UMP track. That must make Wegner the best ever according to WisWildManFan.I never said that and I know Gustin can't hang with the best

0_VodooChild_0
10-26-2020, 01:50 PM
I never said that and I know Gustin can't hang with the bestGustin drove from the back at I-80 a couple of years ago to lead the Silver Dollar Nationals only to have a tire let go BUT he can't hang....OK..... SMH

WisWildManFan
10-26-2020, 01:55 PM
Gustin drove from the back at I-80 a couple of years ago to lead the Silver Dollar Nationals only to have a tire let go BUT he can't hang....OK..... SMHso he abused his tire?

Highside Hustler25
10-26-2020, 02:09 PM
That may be true but WisWildManFan seems to think that Wegner could hang with the best of the best because he won the track championship at a UMP track. That must make Wegner the best ever according to WisWildManFan.

I must have missed the part where WWMF said McKay was the best ever. You like to twist things up a bit obviously. Out of all the SN races I attended, Gustin had speed but was never a threat to win. If he is all that, I would of expected a win somewhere during the tour. If Wenger had the funding to quit his day job, he'd probably be out on the road more.

Highside Hustler25
10-26-2020, 02:11 PM
Didn't Wenger get popped for tires or am I thinking of someone else.

????well, give us the info?

NeedforLMspeed
10-26-2020, 02:13 PM
????well, give us the info?

Might've been thinking of someone else.

Highside Hustler25
10-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Might've been thinking of someone else.

Yea nice backpedal.

NeedforLMspeed
10-26-2020, 02:35 PM
Not really. I said in the original post I might've been thinking of someone else. Feger perhaps??? 🤭

klemmabyna
10-26-2020, 02:46 PM
homework assignment: take your best shot.

2020 - Mckay Wenger
https://www.myracepass.com/schedule/media.aspx?r=37887&rt=driver&y=2020

2020 - Ryan Gustin
https://www.myracepass.com/schedule/media.aspx?r=37033&rt=driver&y=2020

Josh Bayko
10-26-2020, 03:18 PM
This thread is full of freezing cold hot takes.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-26-2020, 03:23 PM

I'd agree with that.

NeedforLMspeed
10-26-2020, 04:21 PM

Good pillow fight makes the day go by fast

MotoMatt
10-26-2020, 05:08 PM
So is there video of his racing this weekend? Sounds like a hell of a show.

RacingDirt82
10-26-2020, 07:44 PM
Highside Hustler25....Very well said....if Mcay Wenger didnt have a real job and a family and all he did was race full time like Gustin mckay could run up front with any of them...Mckay works very hard for what he got.....He not a spoiled punk like some of these late model guys....Just like jason fegers if he raced more he whould win alot more or had sponsors like some of them have....People can just give a low budget local guy alot of credit...Bit i will there alot of really good cars at fairbury every sat night and for mckay to be the champion thats a hell of a job GOOD JOB THE REAL REAPER MCKAY WENGER#42....GUSTIN IS A WANNABE REAPER.

fryefan
10-26-2020, 10:33 PM
USMTS are guys that can't hack it in late models. It shows the budget Gustin has compared to Wenger if anything. When he starts getting wins in a UMP late model we can talk.

You should have stopped after the IMCA comment, which as someone else pointed out has nothing to do with this conversation. Richie Gustin, Jimmy Gustin, and Janae Gustin run IMCA, Ryan does not.

You follow that up with this nugget, "USMTS are guys that can't hack it in late models."

Ever heard of Cade Dilliard? He was a regular with the USMTS and has won several late model events, including some major special events and is one of the top WoO drivers.

Rodney Sanders has not ran a lot of late model events, but won several races when he did.

The Scott brothers came from the USMTS series and have had some success in late models.

And Ryan Gustin has won numerous late model races, including some with national fields.

0_VodooChild_0
10-27-2020, 12:07 AM
Thank you for the IMCA clarification. Also, I believe a driver named Ricky Thornton Jr won 2 races at the IMCA Supernationals, a Lucas Oil Late Model race & a World of Outlaws race this year.. So to say guys from IMCA & USMTS can't drive is crap. Wheelmen can drive anything.

fryefan
10-27-2020, 12:18 AM
VodooChild -- You nailed it with your last statement.

"Wheelmen can drive anything."

Kyle Larson, Jimmy Owens, Ricky Thornton Jr., Kyle Strickler & Ryan Gustin are all proof of this.

There are certainly others that could be added to this list and I am not slighting them, but those 5 immediately came to mind.

fryefan
10-27-2020, 12:23 AM
I also want to add that my posts in this thread are not a slight to McKay Wenger.

I don't know why someone had to hijack this thread that was about Ryan Gustin, which in turn started posters putting one or the other down. Personally, I enjoy watching BOTH Reapers run and both are quality wheelmen.

fryefan
10-27-2020, 12:32 AM
TeamGRT12x -- I tried to reply to your post (#14) on the 1st page of this thread, but the "Reply with Quote" option rarely works on this forum anymore (for me anyway).

With that being said, I want to commend you guys on battling through several issues earlier this year and finishing the season with numerous wins and other front of the field finishes. Others would have probably thrown in the towel and given up on the year. You guys stayed the course and it has paid off.

Keep up the hard work and finish the year strong. Hopefully, the gremlins will leave you guys alone next year and you can get a full season in.

OkieDirtFan
10-27-2020, 12:46 AM
I also want to add that my posts in this thread are not a slight to McKay Wenger. I don't know why someone had to hijack this thread that was about Ryan Gustin, which in turn started posters putting one or the other down. Personally, I enjoy watching BOTH Reapers run and both are quality wheelmen.No kidding. Heck, I’ve never seen McKay Wenger run before. I’m sure he’s a great driver. I was simply trying to point out what a great weekend Gustin had, but some people decide to turn it into a pi$$ing match. Maybe he’ll come down again on Thursday night for the $10,000 to win mod race. Should be a great show especially with Owens and BShep joining the action.

fryefan
10-27-2020, 12:49 AM
I am pretty sure that Ryan and his crew are planning on running the 4 big mod shows this weekend.

zach51
10-27-2020, 08:44 AM
I have another freezing hot take....the weather for Tri-State on Thursday is not looking great. Going to be in the 40's and 30's......and then may get some R word mixed in there with it. Sounds miserable. Hopefully it works out though.

Cooleo74
10-29-2020, 06:36 AM
Being from iowa and I race weekly at my home track. I mever seen anything more impressive then Ryan s and joe years together and the run they had on the usmts tour. They absolutly dominated . I still get parts and tires from Joe from time to time. Going in his office and seeing the national championship trophy and the hardware them guys won over them years is awesome. Ya I d like to see him have more opportunity to run a national series late model schedule more lucas or woo. But i also have a child so I uderstand wanting to be home with the family to.. In a dream world id like see him and Birky team up . in a dream!

chopter33
10-29-2020, 02:11 PM
ryan will run up front whatever hes driving.

AllenK
10-30-2020, 04:42 PM

I just want to clarify that the water truck didn't hit anyone. He just sent the spectators standing by the pit wall running. I think it might've bent the trailer a little,but nobody got hurt. It was a solid hit,though...

Not surprised the show rained out. It was cold and terrible here this week. Rained a bunch also. We were in between a hurricane and a blizzard/ice storm.

wishiwasfast
11-01-2020, 01:41 PM
It was 2001 when they had all the cars for the Spooker. My uncle and cousin owned and promoted Tri State in 2001 and 2002. Bought it from Cecil Harlan (RIP) in late 2000. I won in my class at the Spooker in 2005 and 2008.