PDA

View Full Version : The New Swainsboro

TerryM
12-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Been hearing some rumors lately, so we drove over to the track this afternoon to see what’s going on. Swainsboro closed down last year due to several things — terrible racing, a poorly ran program, and declining attendance. We had already quit going there a few months earlier. My wife basically grew up at the track and several members of her family have either raced there or worked for the track. Her dad raced there. Her mom scored races. Her Uncle Ollie was flagman until recently. So for us to stop going, you know the product had to be pretty bad. Something had to change.

The gates were closed, but we got close enough to see the track. Major changes are underway. Banking has clearly been reduced all the way around the track. But the biggest change is, there’s now a wall, where there was none before. The wall is already in place on the backstretch and in 3-4, and concrete forms are sitting in 1-2. The wall on the backstretch has reduced the width of the track by seemingly half. Anyone familiar with Swainsboro will know this is going to change the track big time. I’m hearing they might hold an event around New Years, but I don’t know how accurate that is. One thing is certain though; it’s going to be a completely different track. Will it be better? That remains to be seen. But at least they’re putting in the effort. That’s a start.

Switchback29A1
12-13-2020, 03:54 PM
How much banking could they take out, I remember it being a pretty flat place to begin with.

TerryM
12-13-2020, 04:13 PM
I believe they added banking a couple years ago. Maybe they took some back off the top to allow for the wall. I’m not sure.

Slideways
12-13-2020, 04:29 PM
I haven't been there in a couple years, always liked the place though.
I can't wait to check it out now.