PDA

View Full Version : Cushioning the LF Travel Limiter?

TheJet-09
12-16-2020, 06:39 PM
With the limited racing we had this year, I did play around some with the length of the limiter cable on my LF. In wanting to free the car up some in the middle of the corner, I shortened it per the chassis manufacturers recommendation, but felt it really "snapped" the rear loose as opposed to just free it up. I ultimately put it back to the start length and adjusted elsewhere.

In thinking about it again, I was wondering if cushioning the LF limiter like we do on the LR would help ease the "snap" effect I felt, or does the LF tether not quite work the same as the LR (because we aren't lifting the LR off the track)?

Curious if anyone has tried this, or any thoughts on the subject. Thanks!

billetbirdcage
12-16-2020, 11:06 PM
With the limited racing we had this year, I did play around some with the length of the limiter cable on my LF. In wanting to free the car up some in the middle of the corner, I shortened it per the chassis manufacturers recommendation, but felt it really "snapped" the rear loose as opposed to just free it up. I ultimately put it back to the start length and adjusted elsewhere.

In thinking about it again, I was wondering if cushioning the LF limiter like we do on the LR would help ease the "snap" effect I felt, or does the LF tether not quite work the same as the LR (because we aren't lifting the LR off the track)?

Curious if anyone has tried this, or any thoughts on the subject. Thanks!

I honestly don't think it's gonna have much effect, but only way to find out is try it. I'm guessing it's likely so subtle that it's not going do much, but won't the first time I'm wrong.

If it were me, I would try some more rebound in LF as a temporary tether but IMO shortening the tether loosens entry and tightens on gas. Not sure exactly what you call middle, my middle is on gas.

On a side note: If you try the cushion be sure you end up with the same travel as when it was solid

TheJet-09
12-17-2020, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the response. And I was somewhat incorrect in how I worded the situation...the issue was apparent when off throttle, just prior to when I would get back in it. I did have all the rebound available in the shock, so maybe it needs to be valved for more.

Thanks again!

UltimateRaceCars
12-18-2020, 08:56 AM
Sounds to me like you should take some rebound out of the LF, once you get the timing correct (shock rebound) it should act like a cushioned limiter.

MachineMasters
01-09-2021, 12:27 PM
generally speaking, shorter LF chain = tighter mid-corner handling
longer LF chain = freer mid-corner handling