PDA

View Full Version : Afco Silver Series...yes, no or maybe?

Krooser
12-18-2020, 04:07 AM
Got a very good price quote on new Afco's. Custom valved.

Opinions?

Jking24
12-18-2020, 05:37 AM
They can be as good or close to about anything out their if the right guy is working on them. from a valving standpoint they are junk out of the box from afco. The afcos are about as durable of a shock as you can buy. The main difference between m2 and silver series is the shafts in the m2 had some space age coating that was supposed to reduce friction a bunch but all it really did was cost to much lol other than that basically the same stuff. I have a set of m2's that have some ohlins pistons in them and i keep them setup as spares.i wouldn't hesitate to buy another set if they fit my needs.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-18-2020, 07:56 AM
I agree with the above post completely. I also have a set of the Ohlins conversion deals and don't hesitate to use them.

fastford
12-18-2020, 08:19 AM
Jerry Link at afco can make whatever you want out of them ....and from what i under stand , the black coating was more of an anti wear benefit than any thing , i think its pretty standard on all there shaft,s now ......

Punisher88
12-18-2020, 08:47 AM
I have 4 that I got on trade for a body about 8 years ago. I have them valved to run in conjunction with my Ohlins. I like them better when it comes to actually being able to feel clicks when you're using the adjusters. The rebound adjusters on Ohlins are atrocious at best.

Krooser
12-18-2020, 09:04 AM
Well thanks guys... I have several Afco shocks fresh from the local dealer. He has guys looking for good used stuff and give me a good trade price.

Im trying to get back to work in January now that my newest knee is healing good...need a couple bucks to make this happen.

Jking24
12-18-2020, 11:02 AM
Jerry Link at afco can make whatever you want out of them ....and from what i under stand , the black coating was more of an anti wear benefit than any thing , i think its pretty standard on all there shaft,s now ......Yes it was a antiwear coating but no it's not standard now its gone.i don't know anything about the new jerry link stuff but the other stuff all comes with standard chrome shafts

PushinTheLimit
12-19-2020, 12:10 AM
Many of you probably already know this, but for those that don't... Jerry Link used to work on Ohlin's. I know cause I bought my first set of D/A Piggyback Ohlin's from him. Very knowledgeable guy.

fastford
12-19-2020, 09:23 AM
he started out with SHY , a motocross shock builder in TN , started going to DLM races with a friend and got interested in those shocks , started doing them at SHY to start with and worked on any brand , he left there and went to AFCO , but he will still will work on any of them , one of the best IMO.....

Krooser
12-19-2020, 01:07 PM
I see AFCO has some new high dollar shocks in that MastersBiltRacer price range....$900.00+.

Man if I had his $$$.

I'm still looking for a use for one of my tie rod end shocks from the 70's... and I have a couple new Cadillac front shocks from an enduro car I built in 1983. May be the new hot-set-up.... with a straight axle.

ZERO25
12-20-2020, 08:28 PM
I see AFCO has some new high dollar shocks in that MastersBiltRacer price range....$900.00+.

Man if I had his $$$.

I'm still looking for a use for one of my tie rod end shocks from the 70's... and I have a couple new Cadillac front shocks from an enduro car I built in 1983. May be the new hot-set-up.... with a straight axle.

I told you not to cut off those straight axle mounts on that Mbilt, but, NOOOO, you had to have the latest and greatest! Typical driver......lol!