PDA

View Full Version : David Reutimann on dirt racing at Bristol....

AllenK
12-22-2020, 04:30 PM
Good read. Sorry if has been posted already.

https://www.facebook.c6825112076om/beakbuiltchassis/posts/155088

Warning.. Long winded post pertaining to the mods at Bristol.
While this race has the potential to be a great event, most people I've spoken too are kind of missing just how evil that place can be. So with that in mind, some stuff to maybe consider if you haven't already from a guy that's made a lap or two (and unfortunately crashed) at Bristol.

1. Please be aware of just how well your seat is mounted. Unfortunately there some scary seat mounting configurations. Make it as strong as possible. When you think you've overbuilt its probably still not enough. There are no small crashes at this joint.

2. If you have lightweight stuff, get it off. This isn't the place for it. Wheels, control arm cross shafts (if you run that type) tie rod tubes (use a Moly option) and rod ends (FK makes some really good Moly stuff). If you can't steer the thing the wall isn't far away

3. Seat belts, head and kneck restraint and general belt mounting. Again go overboard with this stuff. Stuff moves way more than you think it will. Roll bar padding and a super thick head rest. Head pushed slightly to the left just sitting still will probably be close. Uncomfortable yes, but you won't notice it later.

4..again if you have a lightweight or aluminum component that connects the frame to an important part (J-bar, shock, etc) get it off. You will never miss it.

5..stay on top of wheel bearings, wheel studs and hubs. The loads you will experience at this place you likely never have come up against before. Most of all remember.. You will be sailing off in the corner at likely a high rate of speed into banking that is pretty excessive.. With a rf wheel bearing (many cars anyway) that is modeled off a 1970's Era Pinto.

This is just a very small list. And I'm sure much can be added. This place can find new and exciting ways to break stuff without touching anything. I'm sure guys like David Stremme, Kenny Wallace and Ken Schrader can attest to this. Not meant to try to scare anyone. But this place kinda will get your attention. 

racingfool32
12-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Every word is true.

TOPSIDE TIMMY 39FAN
12-22-2020, 05:42 PM
This should be sent out to every entry in this race. I hope they are strict on there tech for this race.

STRONGERTHANDIRT
12-23-2020, 08:59 AM
Weren't there a lot of broken wheels at the first race?

oldmodhasbeen
12-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Track is supposed to be 18 degrees, how will that make it much different than eldora?

NeedforLM$peed
12-23-2020, 11:44 AM
This should be sent out to every entry in this race. I hope they are strict on there tech for this race.

Why. Are they going to tell someone they can't run a light weight part?

EvelB7
12-23-2020, 12:12 PM
Track is supposed to be 18 degrees, how will that make it much different than eldora?The first time they did this yes, things did break (especially the light weight wheels). The second year we didn't have as many issues. The track is bigger than eldora and the way the corners were shaped it put more load in the right side to get the car to turn.

TOPSIDE TIMMY 39FAN
12-23-2020, 12:18 PM
Why. Are they going to tell someone they can't run a light weight part?

No just for safety reasons

ImCryn2
12-23-2020, 12:33 PM
I have seen several drivers post that they are attending, many of which struggle to stay on pace at their local track. I understand wanting to be a part of this event and I will not poke fun at anyone for entering, but I think advice like this should be seen by all racers planning to attend. This is supposed to be fun, I don't want to see anyone get hurt because they were not prepared.

Pennsboro32
12-23-2020, 01:27 PM
I have seen several drivers post that they are attending, many of which struggle to stay on pace at their local track. I understand wanting to be a part of this event and I will not poke fun at anyone for entering, but I think advice like this should be seen by all racers planning to attend. This is supposed to be fun, I don't want to see anyone get hurt because they were not prepared.

I'm not sure how they could have come up with a system to get the right drivers there, but they should have made it invite or something. You're right, there's going to be a lot of garbage cars there that do not belong.

NeedforLM$peed
12-23-2020, 01:33 PM
If they pay the entry fee they have the right to be there just as much as anyone else.

Pennsboro32
12-23-2020, 01:59 PM
If they pay the entry fee they have the right to be there just as much as anyone else.

No they don't. If your car is garbage, you don't belong on a track that big and fast. Look at the incident at Eldora a few years back. I hope they have a ton of safety enforcements at Bristol.

NeedforLM$peed
12-23-2020, 02:09 PM
How are they going to invite 150 non garbage hornets, IMCA mods, sport mods, 604's, 602's and stock cars. They would have to invite 25-30+ garbage ones just to make up 150. Saying someone can't come because their car is garbage is discriminatory. If the car is legal and the entry fee is paid then they are welcome to join.

Pennsboro32
12-23-2020, 02:14 PM
How are they going to invite 150 non garbage hornets, IMCA mods, sport mods, 604's, 602's and stock cars. They would have to invite 25-30+ garbage ones just to make up 150. Saying someone can't come because their car is garbage is discriminatory. If the car is legal and the entry fee is paid then they are welcome to join.

Who said the number had to be 150? They could have made it 100 mods, and crates. There's enough good mods/crates out there without pulling junk. This is a rare event, we don't want to watch a guy who can't compete on the local level try to race at Bristol, just so he can say he did so.

heinen81
12-23-2020, 03:22 PM

This dang "everyone gets a medal" mentality. No, just because they pay the fee doesn't mean they should haul a piece of garbage in. How you police that, I don't know... but they don't need a bunch of hacks getting hurt or messing up the show at an event like this.

NeedforLM$peed
12-23-2020, 03:28 PM
Guys get hurt or killed whether or not the car and safety equipment is safe or unsafe. It's not a everyone deserves a medal or not mentality. Everyone has a right to participate if their car is safe and they pay the entry fee.

JM15
12-23-2020, 04:15 PM
This dang "everyone gets a medal" mentality. No, just because they pay the fee doesn't mean they should haul a piece of garbage in. How you police that, I don't know... but they don't need a bunch of hacks getting hurt or messing up the show at an event like this.I can think of a few guys who run national tour events that I wouldn't want to be near on a place like Bristol. Guys with the best stuff you can buy. There are guys who follow tours that are in the way every week. Some guys do it for fun and I say that's ok too.

NeedforLM$peed
12-23-2020, 04:55 PM
I can think of a few guys who run national tour events that I wouldn't want to be near on a place like Bristol. Guys with the best stuff you can buy. There are guys who follow tours that are in the way every week. Some guys do it for fun and I say that's ok too.

Exactly also.......

noitall93w
12-23-2020, 09:04 PM
You think the fast guys want junk there? No. Remember at eldora a couple years ago some slow lapped car junked McDowell leading a heat

NeedforLM$peed
12-23-2020, 09:30 PM
They still race against them at other places.

dirtcrazy4u
12-24-2020, 05:05 AM
If the car passes tech, which I hope is tuff on safety equipment, then yes you have the right to be there. I hope officials look at the line ups really close and have these unknowns so to speak behind guys that are proven racers. Easy, probably not, but with as many divisions they are running I think you may see a few hard crashes just from guys not experienced enough with the speed this place is going to produce.

ImCryn2
12-24-2020, 07:41 AM
My post was not to judge who or who should not be there, just simply stating that everyone should take the advice seriously. They chose the format and they will get what they get, I just hope it doesn't turn into a $hitshow with unprepared drivers getting hurt.

Pennsboro32
12-24-2020, 08:41 AM
You think the fast guys want junk there? No. Remember at eldora a couple years ago some slow lapped car junked McDowell leading a heat

Yep, that boy didn’t belong there. He’s from my area, I think he’s since quit. He had trouble not getting lapped in heat races at local events.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-24-2020, 08:52 AM
If the car passes tech, which I hope is tuff on safety equipment, then yes you have the right to be there. I hope officials look at the line ups really close and have these unknowns so to speak behind guys that are proven racers. Easy, probably not, but with as many divisions they are running I think you may see a few hard crashes just from guys not experienced enough with the speed this place is going to produce.

You are saying "fix" the lineups?

dirtcrazy4u
12-24-2020, 09:26 AM
MastersBuilt, Yea your right, you can't do it. I look back at Eldora. You have the fast guys and the slow guys. They always seem to get through it. Race on.

427c.i.
12-24-2020, 01:02 PM
It's real easy to sign up now and then back out later when there's no fee paid at this time. Guys are gonna start doing the math and find out they'll be blowing a lot of their racing budget for the year one one week(end,)
And what about all the costs that haven't been mentioned yet? Fees for parking your rig, entry, registering your 4 wheeler, etc. It's a NASCAR track...expect a NASCAR fingerbanging.
I bet the same takes place on the fan side too. Don't expect $3 beers and $2 hot dogs.
As far as safety, I hope there is rigorous tech for safety but no lightweight parts? C'mon... The sport has evolved A LOT since the last time dirt late models were there. Is it going to be that much different than any of the the other fast 1/2 miles that are out there?

These are neat events they have planned and I'm excited to see them but I wonder what the ACTUAL car counts will end up being?

WisWildManFan
12-24-2020, 01:36 PM
It's real easy to sign up now and then back out later when there's no fee paid at this time. Guys are gonna start doing the math and find out they'll be blowing a lot of their racing budget for the year one one week(end,)And what about all the costs that haven't been mentioned yet? Fees for parking your rig, entry, registering your 4 wheeler, etc. It's a NASCAR track...expect a NASCAR fingerbanging. I bet the same takes place on the fan side too. Don't expect $3 beers and $2 hot dogs. As far as safety, I hope there is rigorous tech for safety but no lightweight parts? C'mon... The sport has evolved A LOT since the last time dirt late models were there. Is it going to be that much different than any of the the other fast 1/2 miles that are out there?These are neat events they have planned and I'm excited to see them but I wonder what the ACTUAL car counts will end up being?You have always been allowed to bring your own coolers in at Bristol, I don’t see this being any different. Walking into the stands at Bristol for the first time is one of my greatest memories of racing. If you haven’t gone I recommend it.

Cooter Davenport
12-25-2020, 12:02 PM
It's real easy to sign up now and then back out later when there's no fee paid at this time. Guys are gonna start doing the math and find out they'll be blowing a lot of their racing budget for the year one one week(end,)
And what about all the costs that haven't been mentioned yet? Fees for parking your rig, entry, registering your 4 wheeler, etc.

You have to pay to register, you can't just register for free...and all the fee's for parking, entry and four wheelers etc. is listed on the website. All classes have reached the 150 limit except for Late Models, which doesn't have a cap....

ZERO25
12-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Impressive sellout already, but you can enter the draft for a chance to be drawn!

https://racexr.com/events/bristoldirt/

Mod Runner
12-26-2020, 01:58 AM
Where do people get the idea there will be IMCA mods running Bristol ? I have only seen UMP Mods listed. As far as safety goes , the IMCA Mod is the safest mod raced because of the tough IMCA rules and safety inspections.

Minny Lakes
12-26-2020, 03:41 AM
Look at the website Mod Runner. There's a Modified and an Open Modified Class.

The modified is ran under IMCA rules.
Open modifieds are UMP, WISSOTA, USMTS, USRA.

https://racexr.com/events/bristoldirt/

Mod Runner
12-27-2020, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the link. Much appreciated. IMCA rules , but not IMCA sanctioned. I see !

golddirt
12-27-2020, 08:44 AM
When they ran at Bristol the last time wasn’t that before they redid the track?

WisWildManFan
12-27-2020, 08:59 AM
yea the track was redone in 2007 I believe. Sounds like they will be using laser technology to shape the banking of the track the same stuff they used in 07 for the progressive banking they put in.

427c.i.
03-22-2021, 12:04 PM
You have to pay to register, you can't just register for free...and all the fee's for parking, entry and four wheelers etc. is listed on the website. All classes have reached the 150 limit except for Late Models, which doesn't have a cap....

So, 50+ cars chose to forfeit a registration fee?

ZERO25
03-22-2021, 08:06 PM
So, 50+ cars chose to forfeit a registration fee?

A lot more than that, "only" 823 showed up!

zyoung25
03-22-2021, 09:07 PM
Yep, that boy didn’t belong there. He’s from my area, I think he’s since quit. He had trouble not getting lapped in heat races at local events.

I see he's living his best life now. He has a big SEND NUDES across the windshield of his car.