PDA

View Full Version : RIP Papa Ray Ingalls

AllenK
01-21-2021, 08:24 PM
I just read on FB that Ray Ingalls of Longview,Texas passed away this week. Much like Red Farmer,Ray raced the Lazy 8 late model well up into his eighties I believe. He was the patriarch of the Ingalls racing family that includes sons Doug and Ricky,and grandsons Justin,Jason,and Doug Ingalls Jr. I didn't know them personally,but I enjoyed watching the family race at various tracks in the Ark-La-Tex mostly following the now defunct SUPR series. Thoughts and prayers to Ray's family and friends.

Per his daugher-in-law Susie:

Services for Ray Ingalls will be Wednesday January 27 at Memory Park Cemetery 2823 E Marshall Ave. Longview, Tx.
An informal visitation and viewing will be from 12:30 to 1:30 at the mausoleum and the service will start at 2:00.

Rajflyboy
01-22-2021, 05:46 AM
Prayers to family and friends

GA-DIRT
01-22-2021, 06:08 AM
We were at Lone Star Speedway onetime,saw The Lazy8 pulling in before I got over to where he parked alone, got out unhinged the car, put down his ramps, all let it go! Unloading itself... R.I.P. Lazy 8

AllenK
01-22-2021, 12:59 PM
The SUPR series was sometimes maligned for its spec engines and big spoilers,but I saw some great racing and had some good times going to watch its races throughout the Ark-La-Tex. When I first started going to late model races in the early nineties, Doug Ingalls,Ronny Adams,and Ronnie Poche had some great battles in the series. Good times.

I don't know when Ray actually quit driving,but I read somewhere he won his last race in 2002 at age 73?

One Man Gang
01-22-2021, 02:37 PM
The SUPR series was sometimes maligned for their spec engines and big spoilers,but I saw some great racing and had some good times going to watch their races throughout the Ark-La-Tex. When I first started going to late model races in the early nineties, Doug Ingalls,Ronny Adams,and Ronnie Poche had some great battles in the series. Good times.

I don't know when Ray actually quit driving,but I read somewhere he won his last race in 2002 at age 73?
I think every SUPR race I ever attended was either won by Kenny Merchant or Rob Litton but best of my recollection there was always 1 if not 2 of the Ingalls in every race I attended in the early to mid 2000’s.

AllenK
01-22-2021, 03:12 PM
Merchant came on quite a bit later after I first started watching SUPR. DOD says he won 57 races in the series.

GrocMax
01-22-2021, 10:34 PM
Ingalls Racing Products still builds modifieds, and they do well locally.

Mod Runner
01-23-2021, 03:00 AM
May he rest in peace. Amazing how many people from that era raced a car called the lazy eight.

AllenK
01-23-2021, 11:07 AM
Ingalls Racing Products still builds modifieds, and they do well locally.

Yes,they do really well. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law lived in Marshall and coached and taught there and other schools in the area. We went over to Longview with them several times,and both my nephews were born there. I know the Ingalls clan lives off of US 80 between the two towns,and of course the shop is out there also. I always wanted to drive by there,but we never did even though we went down 80 several times.