PDA

View Full Version : Front left nose?

84wedge
01-24-2021, 10:44 AM
Looks like the new thing is the front left fender flaring out real wide is the new thing or am I just noticing it now?

Hoosier_Dirt
01-24-2021, 02:03 PM
Been that way last couple years. Some more than others.

84wedge
01-24-2021, 02:06 PM
Been that way last couple years. Some more than others.It was really extreme on the Rocket House Car last night

dirtcrazy4u
01-24-2021, 02:56 PM
It was extreme on a lot of cars last night. Francis better get a hold of it or by the time they roll into east bay it may be to late

JabberJaws83
01-24-2021, 04:18 PM
It was extreme on a lot of cars last night. Francis better get a hold of it or by the time they roll into east bay it may be to late

They won’t do anything about it anyway.

Hoosier_Dirt
01-24-2021, 04:22 PM
Yeah Francis was supposed to tech them a lot harder when he took that position.

late model chaser
01-24-2021, 06:16 PM
I think things are getting a little out of hand. They don't even look like cars anymore. i would like to see them look like they did about fifteen years ago.

Mod Runner
01-24-2021, 06:29 PM
More often than not, the sanctioning bodies talk tough about enforcing the rules , but then let things go thru tech. There are aero rules in place , but racers bend the rules past the acceptable limit and still race.

clanton25fan
01-24-2021, 08:08 PM
The bodies now a days look completely ridiculous. A complete abortion. The right front jacked up in the air, the front of the right side tucked in 10" or more behind the tire and the left side of the car looking like a dang boomerang. It would be nice if they would get the bodies under control.

Josh Bayko
01-24-2021, 09:30 PM
Making the bodies straight and symmetrical is what needs to happen. The chances of that actually happening are very, very slim.

Drpepsi
01-24-2021, 10:29 PM
I think things are getting a little out of hand. They don't even look like cars anymore. i would like to see them look like they did about fifteen years ago.

yes, definitely

zyoung25
01-25-2021, 06:56 AM
I watched Terbo drive in circles to the right Saturday night while was Randall standing on the LR corner of the car. The lucas officials stood about 75ft away and watched it all go down. They measured the deck height, and gave him a thumbs up to go on for the lineup.

I'm not pointing the finger at Terbo or Randall either one, they all do it, it's the lack of enforcement from the officials. No way the cars pass tech without them doing what they do. 95% of the time, the officials watch these guys do this.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2021, 07:05 AM
They were a little out of hand 5 years ago. Now they are whack. You have 60 hrs of work to make a car from 10 years ago, have a competitive body.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2021, 07:07 AM
I watched Terbo drive in circles to the right Saturday night while was Randall standing on the LR corner of the car. The lucas officials stood about 75ft away and watched it all go down. They measured the deck height, and gave him a thumbs up to go on for the lineup.

I'm not pointing the finger at Terbo or Randall either one, they all do it, it's the lack of enforcement from the officials. No way the cars pass tech without them doing what they do. 95% of the time, the officials watch these guys do this.

Yet if fans call it out on their FB page, they deny deny.

JustAddDirt
01-25-2021, 07:32 AM
They were a little out of hand 5 years ago. Now they are whack. You have 60 hrs of work to make a car from 10 years ago, have a competitive body.

BELIEVE ME I KNOW, (because i do the bodies on the guy that MBR helps) and the more I look at photos of these newer cars, the more that needs to be done.

50Dixon50
01-25-2021, 08:00 AM
Left rear is way up in the air i mean like it looks like 6 ft high

RayCook53fan
01-25-2021, 08:11 AM
Me personally, I love the ways the cars look now. I love the body lines, and the crooked right side, the whole deal. To me, comparing todays cars/bodies to the way they looked 15 years ago would be like comparing a brand new Mustang shelby GT to a 1996 Mustang GT. Not even close. Like Mark Martin said on twitter a year or 2 back, they are the "sexiest" race cars on the planet.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2021, 08:13 AM
Me personally, I love the ways the cars look now. I love the body lines, and the crooked right side, the whole deal. To me, comparing todays cars/bodies to the way they looked 15 years ago would be like comparing a brand new Mustang shelby GT to a 1996 Mustang GT. Not even close. Like Mark Martin said on twitter a year or 2 back, they are the "sexiest" race cars on the planet.

Only difference is, real cars change to sell new ones. Race cars are supposed to stay the same, so people know what to build.

Highside Hustler25
01-25-2021, 09:05 AM

I witnessed that at every show I attended last year. Totally laughable.

Highside Hustler25
01-25-2021, 09:08 AM
Thank you RAYCOOK53FAN. I agree with you & Mark Martin.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2021, 09:37 AM
Thank you RAYCOOK53FAN. I agree with you & Mark Martin.

You could fix them and a fan in the stands could tell little difference. And guys could fit one in a regular enclosed trailer without disassembly.

1youngblood
01-25-2021, 09:40 AM
These are the best looking race cars from late models all the way to street stocks. None of them look like daily drivers anymore. It’s not like it’s nascar in the 80s when your daily driver looked like what you watched on tv on Sunday. If your building bodies and haven’t noticed the way 99% of everyone else has been making them since 2015 or 16 then maybe you should get another profession.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2021, 09:42 AM
He's speaking about smaller details you would fail to see.

They are so far outside the rule book, it's a joke.

mcarter815
01-25-2021, 09:47 AM
Only difference is, real cars change to sell new ones. Race cars are supposed to stay the same, so people know what to build.

Since when? Race cars have been continually evolving since the start of racing.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2021, 09:49 AM
Since when? Race cars have been continually evolving since the start of racing.

In ways the rules don't address, that's natural. Ignoring rules is not.

mcarter815
01-25-2021, 09:53 AM
In ways the rules don't address, that's natural. Ignoring rules is not.

That's not really what you said. You said race cars are supposed to stay the same.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2021, 09:55 AM
That's not really what you said. You said race cars are supposed to stay the same.

My bad. Rules are supposed to fix key items of the car, so that a guy knows what to build.

How's that?

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2021, 10:19 AM
My bad. Rules are supposed to fix key items of the car, so that a guy knows what to build.

How's that?

The problem is, when teams quit building key body parts, and aftermarket folks stepped in, all scrutiny was lost.

Rule makers have never back to backed a curved roof and a flat one with 4" of rake, and it shows. When we built our own, that wouldn't get past tech. Now, it's rubber stamped. Same deal with noses. The companies make more and more wedge ones every year to outsell the competition.

billetbirdcage
01-25-2021, 10:28 AM
The problem is, when teams quit building key body parts, and aftermarket folks stepped in, all scrutiny was lost.

Rule makers have never back to backed a curved roof and a flat one with 4" of rake, and it shows. When we built our own, that wouldn't get past tech. Now, it's rubber stamped. Same deal with noses. The companies make more and more wedge ones every year to outsell the competition.

And the whole nose pieces deal was to make them look more like regular cars. Back in 95 when the noses became standard (we went from the wedge sheet metal and 6" or so of plastic at bottom to the stock type noses), they were something like $89 or $99 and only consisted of the 2 half's of the nose. Now you have almost 500.00 worth of nose, batwings, and valances and they resemble nothing

Shrugs

Punisher88
01-25-2021, 10:48 AM
And the whole nose pieces deal was to make them look more like regular cars. Back in 95 when the noses became standard (we went from the wedge sheet metal and 6" or so of plastic at bottom to the stock type noses), they were something like $89 or $99 and only consisted of the 2 half's of the nose. Now you have almost 500.00 worth of nose, batwings, and valances and they resemble nothingShrugsAh come on. I put my cadillac stickers on and I couldn't tell a single difference. Other That a 13 inch difference in ground clearance from one side to the other. Lol

Rajflyboy
01-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Let them build. Let them create. Let them go faster than hell 👍👍👍

LugNutz
01-25-2021, 11:30 AM
Why do you call them racecars. What car do they look like?

Tireguy17
01-25-2021, 12:18 PM
The problem with the current late model is it needs "clear air" because they are sooooo aero dependent. If they lose air from someone sliding up in front of them, the trailing car loses steering. On TV you cannot see how out of control the bodies are, look at 1 head on from the front at deck level. The sloped deck is a huge issue with the @$$ end up in the air with the suspension. Take the rake out of the deck would help a bunch I think.

Josh Bayko
01-25-2021, 05:25 PM
You could fix them and a fan in the stands could tell little difference. And guys could fit one in a regular enclosed trailer without disassembly.

You could flatten the whole body at 37” deck height and take all that downforce away and change the look of the car from the bleachers very little.

84wedge
01-25-2021, 07:11 PM
The problem with the current late model is it needs "clear air" because they are sooooo aero dependent. If they lose air from someone sliding up in front of them, the trailing car loses steering. On TV you cannot see how out of control the bodies are, look at 1 head on from the front at deck level. The sloped deck is a huge issue with the @$$ end up in the air with the suspension. Take the rake out of the deck would help a bunch I think.Man, just look at Davenports car when he gets into traffic. It will not handle.

dirt33
01-25-2021, 10:34 PM
The right front on the 76 tonight is the most ridiculous thing I have seen.

ZERO25
01-25-2021, 10:50 PM
The right front on the 76 tonight is the most ridiculous thing I have seen.

Yep, his was the worst!

JabberJaws83
01-26-2021, 07:00 AM
I agree with you can wrangle these bodies in and not really lose the “look” everybody likes. The decks look to be more of a wing this year just in photos I’ve seen. I imagine they are pretty fun to load in the trailer with that new right side nose they are running as well

BloomerHarvickFan
01-26-2021, 07:53 AM
And the whole nose pieces deal was to make them look more like regular cars. Back in 95 when the noses became standard (we went from the wedge sheet metal and 6" or so of plastic at bottom to the stock type noses), they were something like $89 or $99 and only consisted of the 2 half's of the nose. Now you have almost 500.00 worth of nose, batwings, and valances and they resemble nothing

Shrugs

I loved those old stock nose pieces like the 95 Mustang nose. The fenders actually bent out of sheet metal and they just looked darn good. I thought the Probe nose from 94 was pretty good looking too.

RayCook53fan
01-26-2021, 08:35 AM
"Todays cars are too aero dependent, we need to go back to the way it used to be!"

...The way it used to be...

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2021, 08:51 AM
"Todays cars are too aero dependent, we need to go back to the way it used to be!"

...The way it used to be...

Those were killed to save racing. These cars are actually worse. Your post brings back that nothing was learned from past failures.

JabberJaws83
01-26-2021, 09:04 AM
Those were killed to save racing. These cars are actually worse. Your post brings back that nothing was learned from past failures.

100% correct, wasn’t that decision done by UMP?

buster83
01-26-2021, 09:14 AM
the speeds today are slower than mid 80's when noses were closer to ground.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2021, 09:23 AM

You are kidding, right?

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2021, 09:25 AM
Quote not working.

Yes, ump brought the smaller cars into the rulebook.

JabberJaws83
01-26-2021, 09:31 AM
We need another Bob Memmer. Ol’ Sam, the track photographer and the former racer don’t have the balls to make decisions that upset the apple cart

fastford
01-26-2021, 09:38 AM

not in the slick , which is where every one is trying to gain speed......

RayCook53fan
01-26-2021, 10:55 AM

I know that, lol I just saw the opportunity to be a bit sarcastic and had to take it.

In all reality though, I don't see any major body rules changes coming anytime soon. AND I do still like the way the cars look now.

I mean heck, we had to use ratchet straps to get the sides of the nose drawn in enough to fit the car in the trailer on our car 10 years ago. This isn't a brand new concept. I think its cool to see small changes on the cars, ways to try to gain an advantage. Kinda like back in 2014-15 when everyone started cutting bigger holes in the sail panels. Or a 2016 or 17 when several drivers showed up in florida with half the drivers side quarter panel chopped off.

This last year or so its been right side doors jacked sideways, now its noses widened out.

It's innovation and trying things to gain speed. It's going to happen. I don't see what the big deal is.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2021, 11:36 AM
I know that, lol I just saw the opportunity to be a bit sarcastic and had to take it.

In all reality though, I don't see any major body rules changes coming anytime soon. AND I do still like the way the cars look now.

I mean heck, we had to use ratchet straps to get the sides of the nose drawn in enough to fit the car in the trailer on our car 10 years ago. This isn't a brand new concept. I think its cool to see small changes on the cars, ways to try to gain an advantage. Kinda like back in 2014-15 when everyone started cutting bigger holes in the sail panels. Or a 2016 or 17 when several drivers showed up in florida with half the drivers side quarter panel chopped off.

This last year or so its been right side doors jacked sideways, now its noses widened out.

It's innovation and trying things to gain speed. It's going to happen. I don't see what the big deal is.

The big deal is the cars are aero dependent and need tons of engine. It's no edge when everyone else has the same thing next week.

BloomerHarvickFan
01-26-2021, 12:11 PM

The first time I noticed an odd look to the nose, was on Bloomquist's car in around 2003 or 2004. I was at Tazewell in the pits and seen his car looking straight on. the RF fender was flattened out a lot and the left front fender looked like it was straight up, creating a wedge in the turns. I think that was achieving what they do today by planting the rf.

dirty-white-boy
01-26-2021, 12:35 PM
It was really extreme on the Rocket House Car last night

have any pics of this?

Highside Hustler25
01-26-2021, 12:42 PM
For those singling out individuals, I believe they're all the same. MD3 OR AR are the main 2 manufacturers that pretty much everyone uses. Sometimes from different angles, you get a different look.

JDZ
01-26-2021, 01:54 PM
Not related to the nose, but in relation to aero and the rules: Why don't they just close in the right rear fender wheel opening and make the right side of the car one big panel? Heck, close in the front wheel opening, too.

billetbirdcage
01-26-2021, 01:57 PM
Not related to the nose, but in relation to aero and the rules: Why don't they just close in the right rear fender wheel opening and make the right side of the car one big panel? Heck, close in the front wheel opening, too.

Because it's against the rules. They state there has to be 2" of clearance around tire diameter to body (may not be exact but the jest of it)

Not that it's stopped anyone from doing it, lol

cjsracing
01-26-2021, 02:52 PM
I'm in the minority but I like how the Late Models today look and I don't want them to look like normal cars. I got into racing Late Models because I thought they looked cool and still do.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2021, 03:02 PM
I'm in the minority but I like how the Late Models today look and I don't want them to look like normal cars. I got into racing Late Models because I thought they looked cool and still do.

I don't think anyone here is saying make it look like a normal car. We are saying make them race better.

fastford
01-26-2021, 06:33 PM
but thats how all this came to be M_R , trying to make them race better , but it dont matter to me , price wise , even with dumbed down body rules , they are out of the average racer like me budget anyway .....

84wedge
01-26-2021, 06:37 PM
Take a look at the nose on Overtons car tonight. The right is like a shovel.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2021, 06:49 PM
but thats how all this came to be M_R , trying to make them race better , but it dont matter to me , price wise , even with dumbed down body rules , they are out of the average racer like me budget anyway .....

I don't buy that. We got here by doing nothing. And now they race like crap. We got here by no rules enforcement and body part mfgs try to 1 up each other.

There was no conscious effort to improve racing.

fastford
01-26-2021, 07:46 PM
I agree , just like with shocks , h3ll , a top notch shock and spring package today will cost you more than we put in the whole car 20 years ago.....

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2021, 09:02 PM
I agree , just like with shocks , h3ll , a top notch shock and spring package today will cost you more than we put in the whole car 20 years ago.....

But you can still win with a set of the previous gen Ohlins.

ZERO25
01-26-2021, 09:41 PM
I don't buy that. We got here by doing nothing. And now they race like crap. We got here by no rules enforcement and body part mfgs try to 1 up each other.

There was no conscious effort to improve racing.

I thought the race last night was very entertaining.

The first 15 laps was about as good as it gets.

For some reason, if you race with the squirrels in the back, you always get your nuts cracked!

Morgs153
01-27-2021, 01:47 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if either, or both, major series would build a show car exactly to the specs in their respective rule books and be able to have that on display?

You want it to look like,....that?

RayCook53fan
01-27-2021, 02:40 PM
I don't agree with the "trying to get them to race better" argument. The engine cost going up because of the aero is one thing, but saying races aren't as good just seems crazy to me. I have been going to races since the mid 90s, and the past few years I've seen as much or more good, side by side racing as I have ever seen.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-27-2021, 02:45 PM
I don't agree with the "trying to get them to race better" argument. The engine cost going up because of the aero is one thing, but saying races aren't as good just seems crazy to me. I have been going to races since the mid 90s, and the past few years I've seen as much or more good, side by side racing as I have ever seen.

I've been watching since the 80s. I see guys tuck under cars and wash out. They don't race side by side. It's duck under and check up or it's a slide job.

I feel it's been a long time since I saw 2 cars door to door for complete circuits. They go back single on the straight and dive bomb to pass.

dirty-white-boy
01-28-2021, 12:33 PM
I've been watching since the 80s. I see guys tuck under cars and wash out. They don't race side by side. It's duck under and check up or it's a slide job.

I feel it's been a long time since I saw 2 cars door to door for complete circuits. They go back single on the straight and dive bomb to pass.

There is some truth to that. Eckert was asked on a podcast why drivers of today do not seem to have the friendships they did back when him, Francis, Moran, and McDowell were traveling and he simply said this.. Back then you passed a guy on exit, today you pass them on entry. Funny and true!

chupp n bloomer fan
01-28-2021, 01:30 PM
Ah come on. I put my cadillac stickers on and I couldn't tell a single difference. Other That a 13 inch difference in ground clearance from one side to the other. LolHow’s the GPS and lane assist in that SOB:)

Punisher88
01-28-2021, 03:02 PM
Better not let go of the wheel. She's turning left. Needs an alignment.