PDA

View Full Version : Four wide salutes

dalemcfan
01-30-2021, 12:39 PM
Does the four wide salute still get you fired up or do you think it’s worn out and time for it to go?

JabberJaws83
01-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Worn out because it's overused

kazual
01-30-2021, 02:17 PM
Only one is USMTS where all feature cars carry flags to Lee Greenwood’ rendition of Proud To Be An American on the P.A. If that doesn’t stir you some then I don’t know if you have any love for this country left in you.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-30-2021, 02:28 PM
It gets harder to love it every day.

3 wide
01-30-2021, 04:00 PM
They have wore it out just another way to kill more time.

chupp n bloomer fan
01-30-2021, 04:32 PM
The horses and the National Anthem. That dang near chokes me up every time.

I could do without hearing Lee Greenwood ever again. Love it, have it on cassette I believe, just heard it so much.

Rajflyboy
01-30-2021, 04:57 PM
I’m not into it. Time to kill it Bring out a drift car or something and do a lap or two 😜

weatherman85
01-30-2021, 05:57 PM
Never got me fired up. However, when they break out from the salute and run hard for a couple of laps to reset and build just a little heat in their tires before the green always has and still does!!!

Paradox28
01-30-2021, 09:13 PM
I always love the breakout but I've sat near many a parent and child who are seeing their first 4 wide and they each are in awe every time...some little kid is falling in love every time they see one so keep it goin

chubfrankfan
01-31-2021, 11:29 AM
I think it's been worn out. I don't mind it during a crown jewel event, though.

dirtcrazy4u
01-31-2021, 11:42 AM
They call it a salute. My question is were did that come from ? 9-11 or ???

JabberJaws83
01-31-2021, 11:44 AM
They call it a salute. My question is were did that come from ? 9-11 or ???

I could be wrong, but I think it originated with WoO sprints years and years ago. It’s a “salute” from the fans to drivers and the drivers to the fans.

Rajflyboy
01-31-2021, 12:02 PM
Sprint cars. I remember 4 wide salute from when I was a kid.

BloomerHarvickFan
01-31-2021, 03:13 PM
I know HAT used to do it at the Shootout in the 90s. My brother leaned over to my dad and said "They're never going to make it through turn 1"......dad had a great laugh at his expense that night.

rimrider7
01-31-2021, 03:29 PM
ASCOC late models used to do it with the pole position open for Jim Dunn. then it took off from there. i think, thats been alot of years ago. i think they should still do it to honor drivers that are not with us anymore.

dirtcrazy4u
01-31-2021, 04:09 PM
If the show is running late or weather is a factor. Do not do it. Does it raise the anticipation of the green, it sure does, so if the show is moving along with no delays. I'm all for it.

TerryM
01-31-2021, 04:23 PM
It takes about sixty seconds to complete. It’s one lap. You have to consider that most fans in the bleachers might only see one or two special events a year. Let them enjoy it in it’s full glory. For those people, it’s special. Hell, I’ve seen hundreds of them in person, but I still stand up, take out my phone and take pics and/or video. It’s a cool thing that should never go away.

late model chaser
01-31-2021, 06:10 PM
I have never seen it done in sixty seconds! They usually run two or three laps before and after the four wide salute and then a lot of times they will let them run a few laps to heat up the tars or run in the track. i have seen it take as long as fifteen to twenty minutes. It's such a waste of time and is very frustrating on a cold evening.

Raceready
01-31-2021, 06:59 PM
In my personal, unprofessional, and unbiased opinion, they should start the main feature event 4 wide with the exception of the wider tracks 6 wide ! ! On the tight bull rings it would be cut down 3 wide.

Thedoctor
01-31-2021, 07:36 PM
I’ve never seen a four wide salute take 15-20 mins. Maybe 5. Guy who said 60 seconds is a hell of a lot closer then guy who says 15-20 mins.

ZERO25
01-31-2021, 08:12 PM
It takes about sixty seconds to complete. It’s one lap. You have to consider that most fans in the bleachers might only see one or two special events a year. Let them enjoy it in it’s full glory. For those people, it’s special. Hell, I’ve seen hundreds of them in person, but I still stand up, take out my phone and take pics and/or video. It’s a cool thing that should never go away.

Spot on.........may even pick up some new fans!

flagone
02-01-2021, 10:40 AM
I guess the real question for me is - is it time for people to stop debating the 4 wide salute? I mean really? Why in the hell is it such a big deal? If you think it is overused then divert your eyes to your phone and b!tch about something else for 60 seconds it takes to do it. So asinine to even be arguing against it. It makes no sense to have such a negative reaction to something that is so insignificant time-wise. Why else would you complain about something that is by nature a gesture to YOU to thank you for spending your money to watch the race. I swear if people would focus on things that really matter and stop expending so much negativity this whole sport, in fact this whole world would be a much better place.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-01-2021, 11:05 AM
I guess the real question for me is - is it time for people to stop debating the 4 wide salute? I mean really? Why in the hell is it such a big deal? If you think it is overused then divert your eyes to your phone and b!tch about something else for 60 seconds it takes to do it. So asinine to even be arguing against it. It makes no sense to have such a negative reaction to something that is so insignificant time-wise. Why else would you complain about something that is by nature a gesture to YOU to thank you for spending your money to watch the race. I swear if people would focus on things that really matter and stop expending so much negativity this whole sport, in fact this whole world would be a much better place.

You are right. They waste helluva lot more time waiting on regulars to repair cars or change tires. Often don't even line them back up until repairs are made.