PDA

View Full Version : Dan Schlieper back behind the wheel....

Krooser
04-17-2021, 07:57 PM
Wisconsin SLM driver Diamond Jim Letizia passed away this week and Dan Schlieper took over the driving duties in Jim's D7 ride in tonites Dirt Kings race at Shawano Speedway.

Schlieper may have the seat for the remainder of the season.

We wish him good luck.

HoosierDirtFan
04-17-2021, 08:45 PM
Wisconsin SLM driver Diamond Jim Letizia passed away this week and Dan Schlieper took over the driving duties in Jim's D7 ride in tonites Dirt Kings race at Shawano Speedway.

Schlieper may have the seat for the remainder of the season.

We wish him good luck.

After Hales Corners closed Jim and his son Turk Letizia where regulars at Northwest Indiana's Crown Point Speedway about 15 minutes from my house.

Here is a picture of them parked in the pits at Crown Point.

"Diamond" Jim Letizia #7 (Blue & White) & his son Turk Letizia in the #D1 (Black & Orange)
R.I.P. Jim. One heck of a nice guy.
https://i.imgur.com/vQaF4Gm.jpg

TheJet-09
04-18-2021, 09:28 AM
In 2013, I parked next to Jim at the Wilmot SN race. Met him for the first time. Super nice guy! So sorry to hear of his passing.

WisWildManFan
04-18-2021, 10:10 AM
I feel like his driving style would pay more dividends now than ever. Need to get a propower house car back on the scene

Krooser
04-18-2021, 04:54 PM
I feel like his driving style would pay more dividends now than ever. Need to get a propower house car back on the scene

The D7 does have a ProPower engine... with Schlieper driving I'm sure there will be some improvement in the engine program if needed.

I tried to speak with Schlieper last night but he was busy as you can imagine.

I was behind John S. in the concession line but he wouldn't remember me as it's been almost 50 years since he last did motor work for me back on the farm during the Schlieper Speed Shop days..

JimBo
04-19-2021, 09:18 AM
I remember seeing Schlieper set fast qualifying time in the Hava Tampa series at Joplin 66 Speedway 20 years or so ago by flat footing it all the way around the cushion on a very hooked up track. Good to see him back racing.

Slideways
04-19-2021, 11:58 AM
It would be great to see "The Wisconsin Wildman" back behind the wheel.

Krooser
04-19-2021, 01:21 PM
He finished 12th after a back row start on a choo choo train track.

bleedblue55
04-19-2021, 03:04 PM
Saw Dan race at Lernerville couple years ago which everyone made a big deal over, he was horrible.

WisWildManFan
04-19-2021, 03:31 PM
He’s dabbled a few times in the recent past but been in pretty subpar equipment

klemmabyna
04-19-2021, 07:03 PM
discovered the D7 when i moved to wisconsin. first time maybe at wilmot? RIP Diamond Jim. pretty cool that a World 100 winner would fill the seat. better yet a guy like Dan Schlieper. met him several times in the pits, but one stands out: HAT race at west liberty, locked down track: he tore up his ride trying to make something happen. after the race he was frustrated more about not being able to pass than he was tearing up the car. said he just didn't want to follow.

Buford.Justice
04-19-2021, 09:06 PM
Yes it's hard for Dan to except a lockdown track. He actually overcame one at Florence one year and won a big race. The North/South or the Latham Memorial. He drove over the hood of Hartman.