PDA

View Full Version : North Wilkesboro-Next Nascar Race On Dirt?

Late_Model_Mark
04-28-2021, 06:16 PM
Could this track dormant since I think 1996 be next in line for a dirt date with Nascar in 2022?

There is some talk about this.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer

ZERO25
04-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Marcus has made several comments on Jrs show about it!

Diggin-IL-Dirt
04-28-2021, 07:19 PM
North Wilkesboro would be cool but I want to see dirt on Martinsville

T-MAC 39 FAN
04-28-2021, 07:41 PM
I heard it will be a permanent dirt track. Someone told me that but they may have misunderstood. I do know that the town mayor or whatever said there still hope for n Wilkesboro to open.heard this last week.

https://www.speedwaydigest.com/index.php/news/speedway-news/61555-no-promises-are-made-yet-a-glimmer-of-hope-remains-for-north-wilkesboro-speedway

Rajflyboy
04-28-2021, 08:46 PM
I’d like to see the track open but somehow remain as original as possible. It’s in rough shape right now. I just drove by a few weeks ago.

Barbecueboy
04-28-2021, 09:06 PM
It's NASCAR, they know how to make things look pretty.....I think the track would be the easy part, the facility and infrastructure would be the hardest.
It's not like the place is falling down, and I feel like the bones still have to be relatively structurally sound and usable..haven't been by it in a while but I bet it still looks as good or better than many other dirt tracks I currently visit.

Rajflyboy
04-28-2021, 09:16 PM
It's NASCAR, they know how to make things look pretty.....I think the track would be the easy part, the facility and infrastructure would be the hardest.It's not like the place is falling down, and I feel like the bones still have to be relatively structurally sound and usable..haven't been by it in a while but I bet it still looks as good or better than many other dirt tracks I currently visit.A few years ago I would agree. Not so sure now.

CIRF
04-28-2021, 10:40 PM
If you take seriously the musings of the talking heads on the Sirius/XM NASCAR channel they have not been the least bit optimistic in regards to North Wilkesboro ever hosting a Cup race. Logistics and local infrastructure is the most prevalent reasoning used as their criteria against a Cup ever again happening there.

As a previous post stated the Smith kid has voiced some ambiguously hopeful speculation regarding some racing coming back to NW. He's in charge so he'd oughta know.

ZERO25
04-28-2021, 10:52 PM
If you take seriously the musings of the talking heads on the Sirius/XM NASCAR channel they have not been the least bit optimistic in regards to North Wilkesboro ever hosting a Cup race. Logistics and local infrastructure is the most prevalent reasoning used as their criteria against a Cup ever again happening there.

As a previous post stated the Smith kid has voiced some ambiguously hopeful speculation regarding some racing coming back to NW. He's in charge so he'd oughta know.

He said the facilities were shot and would need to be replaced. Also said, Cup cars probly wouldnt get a race there, but the other series probly would.

Side note......Marcus gave all the credit to Dale Jr for helping the officials at Nashville see the light in re-furbishing the old fairground speedway. Its a done deal and they are making plans as we speak!

FlatTire
04-28-2021, 10:54 PM
Stopped in there a few weeks ago, not impossible but highly unlikely even if they started now. Lots of tear down needed, wiring, plumbing, rebuilding multiple structures. With the shortage of construction workers and contractors booked out for months I'd say good luck lol. There isnt much seating capacity there for cup races either.

TDRacin®
04-29-2021, 12:41 AM
Side note......Marcus gave all the credit to Dale Jr for helping the officials at Nashville see the light in re-furbishing the old fairground speedway. Its a done deal and they are making plans as we speak!

Not quite. https://www.frontstretch.com/2021/04/13/no-nascar-nashville-fairgrounds-race-in-2022-says-fair-grounds-commissioner/

Rajflyboy
04-29-2021, 04:54 AM
Stopped in there a few weeks ago, not impossible but highly unlikely even if they started now. Lots of tear down needed, wiring, plumbing, rebuilding multiple structures. With the shortage of construction workers and contractors booked out for months I'd say good luck lol. There isnt much seating capacity there for cup races either.I don’t think they need seating capacity now a days

LeafMaster41
04-29-2021, 07:05 AM
...There isnt much seating capacity there for cup races either.

Why does that matter? Nobody goes to Cup races much anymore since they got, "Woke" anyway. People shouldn't support Napcar if they care about their country at all. Best course of action in my view is to claim it for dirt racing and let Nascrap go its own way, to the trash heap with the rest of pro sports. Support your local dirt track instead, focus on the roots and maybe we can build something new. JMO

Rajflyboy
04-29-2021, 07:10 AM
Leaf got it figured out . Go woke go broke.

WisWildManFan
04-29-2021, 07:38 AM
Gotta love the ufc for sticking to their sport and not jamming politics down our throats.

Rajflyboy
04-29-2021, 10:04 AM
Gotta love the ufc for sticking to their sport and not jamming politics down our throats.Yeah but they are teaching folks it’s ok to beat the hell out of each other 😂👎

EvelB7
04-29-2021, 03:55 PM
Some people need it, ask Jack Hewitt!

Rajflyboy
04-29-2021, 06:40 PM
Some people need it, ask Jack Hewitt!Well. You got a point. 😜

WisWildManFan
04-29-2021, 09:04 PM
More fist fights would be less deaths in the world... too many pu$$ire shooting each other

Rajflyboy
04-29-2021, 09:05 PM
More fist fights would be less deaths in the world... too many pu$$ire shooting each otherI think the same way. Old school woopin has better outcome than the 9mm

FieldFiller
04-30-2021, 10:16 PM
One of the funniest things about the track is that now all of a sudden everyone loves it and was a season ticket holder. The track had to fail somehow. Where were all of these people when the track was failing? 🤔 Similar to Rockingham. People want to see it come back, but nobody was supporting it originally what would change?

Birdsboro
04-30-2021, 10:32 PM
I don't think that the track failed. What happened was that two men wanted the tracks cup dates and bought the track and split them, one to New Hampshire and one to Texas (i think). That is why it was shuttered.

EDERDS
04-30-2021, 10:34 PM
Actually, in 1995, two families owned a 50/50 split of North Wilkesboro. Bruton Smith bought half the stock in North Wilkesboro and took one date to Texas Speedway. That same year, Bob Bahre bought the other half of the stock and took the other date to New Hampshire Speedway. Normally, NASCAR (Bill France, Jr.) frowned on buying tracks to get their dates, but looked the other way on this because the New England and Texas markets could get more fans than North Wilkesboro could hold. Always follow the money trail

dirtcrazy4u
05-01-2021, 06:08 AM
Yep, and the track in new Hampshire stinks, and the other in Texas is another boring as heck 1 1/2. Yep, great idea, 2 rich dudes that own the place and could really care less about it.

TDRacin®
05-01-2021, 02:34 PM
One of the funniest things about the track is that now all of a sudden everyone loves it and was a season ticket holder. The track had to fail somehow. Where were all of these people when the track was failing? 樂 Similar to Rockingham. People want to see it come back, but nobody was supporting it originally what would change?

I'm guessing you're new or weren't around back then??

dirtcrazy4u
05-01-2021, 10:23 PM
FF. WRONG. It was explained before why north Wilks Boro went idle. 2 owners that became 50/50 share holders in the place only to move 1 date to Texas and the other to new hampshire

Rajflyboy
05-02-2021, 06:03 AM
FF. WRONG. It was explained before why north Wilks Boro went idle. 2 owners that became 50/50 share holders in the place only to move 1 date to Texas and the other to new hampshireExactly what happened