PDA

View Full Version : Hudson O’Neal wins at Eldora

TerryM
05-15-2021, 07:48 PM
Followed by Lanigan and Moran.

Pennsboro32
05-15-2021, 07:55 PM
Didn’t like seeing Moran stuff Hawkins in the wall with a terrible attempt at a slider.

00Hdmn
05-15-2021, 08:23 PM
Doesn’t surprise me Moran did that.

lurker
05-15-2021, 08:25 PM
Yes, bad slider!

Anyone else think the grandstands looked a little on the thin side attendance wise?

NeedforLM$peed
05-15-2021, 08:50 PM
Seems like the Hawkins bunch are always on the bad ends of those

latemodelman
05-15-2021, 08:52 PM
well when you charge $24 to get in and kids 12 and under is $9 I wonder why lol. If it wasnt for Lucas canceling you would have had 15 late models to go with 17 mods and 18 stocks lol. Seems like taking last year off was a bad decision when all other tracks were running with fans and all. The state hurt them bad.

latemodelman
05-15-2021, 08:54 PM
One other thing Oakshade had 23 Super Lates and Atomic had 23 Super Lates as well and other tracks had around 24 to 32 mods as well. On myracepass I counted around 45 cars that normally go to Eldora in the Mods and late models that were not there that ran there weekly in 2019.

raburke23
05-15-2021, 09:08 PM
Let's just think about when Eldora actually announced a schedule....it was like 3 weeks ago. Not a lot of time to plan a trip as a fan or race team. These shows clearly don't pay the bills, but allow guys track time for sure. I bet we see a smaller than normal crowd for the Dream in a couple weeks for sure as not everyone is as anxious to get into crowds and the border with Canada/US still being closed

latemodelman
05-15-2021, 09:19 PM
You really did not see many cars coming from Canada in 2019 maybe 1 or 2. Also May 30th is their normal race date for the Appleseed so lets see if we see 28 to 35 Supers and 30 or so mods and 24 stocks like normal.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-15-2021, 09:31 PM
well when you charge $24 to get in and kids 12 and under is $9 I wonder why lol. If it wasnt for Lucas canceling you would have had 15 late models to go with 17 mods and 18 stocks lol. Seems like taking last year off was a bad decision when all other tracks were running with fans and all. The state hurt them bad.Hindsight is always 20/20.

I do agree, if there wasn’t cancellations, the count woulda been lower.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-15-2021, 09:33 PM
Let's just think about when Eldora actually announced a schedule....it was like 3 weeks ago. Not a lot of time to plan a trip as a fan or race team. These shows clearly don't pay the bills, but allow guys track time for sure. I bet we see a smaller than normal crowd for the Dream in a couple weeks for sure as not everyone is as anxious to get into crowds and the border with Canada/US still being closedHonestly, I think it’ll be packed. People are so ready to get back to “normal” that I think they’ll be good all around.

Only thing that sucks is that with doubling up, the World, I’ll have to sell them mid week tixs.

NeedforLM$peed
05-15-2021, 09:40 PM
Some places no matter the prestige just aren't worth going to unless they are running their biggest event(s) of the year. Unfortunately my local track is that way. I only go probably once or twice possibly the rest of the year. They just don't get enough cars

lurker
05-15-2021, 10:26 PM
Good points.

On Flo it looked like the Fairbury race was thin also on attendance.

Kryptonite17
05-16-2021, 12:04 AM
Eldora is hard on equipment, hard on motors etc. If you don’t have the resources to basically run a $5,000 test session you’re probably skipping the lidlifter and saving it for the Dream.

dirtcrazy4u
05-16-2021, 06:16 AM
Let's also not forget, covid left some people out of work. Was that a factor in the thin crowd ? Who knows.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-16-2021, 09:26 AM
I don’t usually see Devin be that way. But that was awful, if not intentional, just zero chance of being a decent pass.

latemodelman
05-16-2021, 09:40 AM
It will be interesting to see how many cars enter the DREAM. Will it be over 80 or under 80? I doubt we see 85 or more entered. I say 75 will be max.

BTExpress
05-16-2021, 09:58 AM
Just watched the replay on Flo. There couldn't have been more than 500 or 600 fans in the stands. When was the last time Eldora had that small of of a crowd that wasn't weather related? Last week's Let's Race Two did not look like much of a crowd either?

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-16-2021, 10:08 AM
Just watched the replay on Flo. There couldn't have been more than 500 or 600 fans in the stands. When was the last time Eldora had that small of of a crowd that wasn't weather related? Last week's Let's Race Two did not look like much of a crowd either?

Last week was reduced capacity. Don't know if that was a factor or not?

TerryM
05-16-2021, 10:45 AM
Is the replay not available? I see the replays available on Flo for all the other races from last night, but not Eldora.

NeedforLM$peed
05-16-2021, 11:10 AM
That was a bobby slider gone wrong on Hawkins. Super Stocks had a good race

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nqelCxsrRrg&t=435s

BloomerWon
05-16-2021, 11:35 AM
I always lmao when I see the words slider and booby in the same sentence........ What lil booby is doing isn't SLIDING, it's SLAMMING!! The kid wouldn't be able to pull off a dam "slider" like the pros do... 🤓

chupp n bloomer fan
05-16-2021, 12:33 PM
Is the replay not available? I see the replays available on Flo for all the other races from last night, but not Eldora.Type in Eldora on Youtube, it’s the first video. And there’s footage of the “slider”.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-16-2021, 12:33 PM
That was a bobby slider gone wrong on Hawkins. Super Stocks had a good race

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nqelCxsrRrg&t=435sI was thinking that, just didn’t want to say it.

BloomerWon
05-16-2021, 03:41 PM
Then how come ya did?☝😁🤘

TerryM
05-16-2021, 03:54 PM
Looked like a racing deal to me. The difference between a successful slider and one like this is often times a matter of getting lucky or not. Once you commit, a lot of times you’re just hoping it works. We see it pretty much every weekend. It’s dirt racing. It happens.

Highside Hustler25
05-16-2021, 04:07 PM
^^^^ Gotta agree. With these containment seats visibility is at a minimum for sure. Understanding why some of them don't turn out to well.

play4kps
05-16-2021, 05:15 PM
Last week the world of outlaws sprint series basically sold out both nights. They have a huge following. I realize the world and dream are there, but lets face it. Tony has done little to nothing to grow the sport in that region, sadly most of the people in the area really dont like Tony making Eldora a special events track only. Thats his choice and thats his track, but along with that came a lot of favor from the locals and law enforcement. Lets see what happens, Even Steve Casebolt drove past the Eldora exit to go 75 miles further away to Atomic. And lets face it, 24v dollars for that weak of a show is very expensive, he should have brought in the 360's also. I know the boos are coming with my next statement but I think Eldora needs to reduce its banking like they did before the NASCRAP trucks came in, especially in 3 and 4. Lets face it, when Eldora is face the racing sucks, its one fast groove all the way around. Speed sells, but competitive racing keeps fans coming back.

superstock79
05-16-2021, 05:43 PM
Anyone who thinks the Dream crowd is gonna be light has lost their mind ! That place is gonna be packed!!! 2 complete $127k shows in 4 days! And it’s the 1st big race at Eldora n a year and a half!

chupp n bloomer fan
05-16-2021, 05:43 PM
But it’s all in where you execute them. You gotta dive down and make yourself seen and that way this guy knows you are committing and going for a slider. When you do what Devin did or what someone else is famous for, you give the person zero options. When they know you are committing to it, you give them time to make a decision so contact won’t be made. A little different angle and Devin is getting turned straight into the wall. The just below them and stuff him move rarely works, and eventually it will not. In the form of payback later or right then.

So many of these guys do them perfectly and know how to counter them also. Some, just are terrible at it. Shame it ruined Hawkins night.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-16-2021, 05:44 PM
Exactly how I see it.

boxcar
05-16-2021, 06:41 PM
The car count at the dream and world will be down because of now 4 nights of racing. The small teams just can't afford tires let alone wear on engines and equipment ! The 50th world might be the only saving grace for the car count !

Highside Hustler25
05-16-2021, 08:14 PM
The car count at the dream and world will be down because of now 4 nights of racing. The small teams just can't afford tires let alone wear on engines and equipment ! The 50th world might be the only saving grace for the car count !

If you're racing a super late model and can't afford tires, you're probably racing the wrong class. Just sayin.

zyoung25
05-16-2021, 08:26 PM

I've kinda wondered about this all along. I can see some guys that don't do qualify or race well on Wednesday, plum skipping out on Thursday and try their luck for the Friday and Saturday portion.

play4kps
05-16-2021, 09:09 PM
The World and the Dream will have huge crowds, I never said anything about samll crowds for those events. Besides the World and the Dream is more about the event than the racing. Thats a given! I bet youll hear the term hallowed grounds the Dream week at least 20 times.

YeetIt
05-16-2021, 10:00 PM
If you're racing a super late model and can't afford tires, you're probably racing the wrong class. Just sayin.If the racers can't afford the tires, perhaps there is something wrong with the division??

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-17-2021, 01:52 PM
What wasn't shown in the clip from this thread is that Hawkins suddenly went low at the other end of the track, then drifted back in front of Moran. Moran swung to the inside to avoid running into the back of Hawkins. He was then trapped to the inside and I think he just mis-judged what his car could do in that groove.

Highside Hustler25
05-17-2021, 02:05 PM
If the racers can't afford the tires, perhaps there is something wrong with the division??

Something wrong with the division? Really?
40g motors, 40g chassis, 1/2 million dollar hauler, and you say tire bill? Yer kidding right?

Pennsboro32
05-17-2021, 03:43 PM
What wasn't shown in the clip from this thread is that Hawkins suddenly went low at the other end of the track, then drifted back in front of Moran. Moran swung to the inside to avoid running into the back of Hawkins. He was then trapped to the inside and I think he just mis-judged what his car could do in that groove.

Hawkins suddenly went low because he was catching Bronson in lap traffic, Bronson was boxed in so he tried the bottom to try to close in even closer, which ended up being the wrong decision. That doesn’t take away the fact that Moran threw a half azz slide attempt. After the feature Moran knew he messed up.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-17-2021, 03:51 PM
Yes, he messed up. But, I don't think he was throwing a slider. You lift, it takes 10 laps to catch back up. He was just trying to keep his speed up through that 2 second course of events.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-17-2021, 03:59 PM
Several here made it sound like he ran Hawkins down and left the high line to throw a dumb slider. The events that unfolded were much more nuanced than that. He reacted and failed.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-17-2021, 04:44 PM
Several here made it sound like he ran Hawkins down and left the high line to throw a dumb slider. The events that unfolded were much more nuanced than that. He reacted and failed.I only seen the replay on YouTube. Did not see what you were referring to. Though I do believe you for what it’s worth lol.

dirtcrazy4u
05-17-2021, 06:10 PM
Wrong place wrong time. Never was that a Boobie slider. Just a racin deal.

cmonblue
05-17-2021, 09:24 PM
Does anybody else feel that Hudson has filled out his drivers suit any? Maybe I haven't noticed lately, but he used to be very thin. When he got out of the car, his face has filled out and looks just like a young Don.

WisWildManFan
05-17-2021, 09:29 PM
After reading comments on here I thought the late models were gonna be a snoozer. I saw the highlights 3 wide for the lead. Moran slider was terrible. Eldora stocks put on a whale of a show. For as many that complain about Eldora not having local racing the place looked like a ghost town.

play4kps
05-18-2021, 01:11 AM
Wiswildmanfan, like I said Eldora has lost its favor with the locals. Ever since Tony bought the place its emphasis is on big races only. Other than the Dream no late models are scheduled for the rest of June, all of July and all of August, the next late model race is Baltes classic in september, In fact only 3 events are scheduled the whole summer, SRX, Kings Royal and a family fun night. This has nothing to do with tghe pandemic, This has been the trend especially after Earl died.

NeedforLM$peed
05-18-2021, 05:41 AM
There's an ALMS race there on May 30th. Or were you not counting that.

WisWildManFan
05-18-2021, 06:34 AM
Wiswildmanfan, like I said Eldora has lost its favor with the locals. Ever since Tony bought the place its emphasis is on big races only. Other than the Dream no late models are scheduled for the rest of June, all of July and all of August, the next late model race is Baltes classic in september, In fact only 3 events are scheduled the whole summer, SRX, Kings Royal and a family fun night. This has nothing to do with tghe pandemic, This has been the trend especially after Earl died.I guess I don't know why he would have more local shows if you guys aren't going to go anyway?

00Hdmn
05-18-2021, 07:53 AM
Looked like a racing deal to me. The difference between a successful slider and one like this is often times a matter of getting lucky or not. Once you commit, a lot of times you’re just hoping it works. We see it pretty much every weekend. It’s dirt racing. It happens.

You don't hit someone going into one pulling a slide job, you might park it or hit someone in turn two but you hit someone in turn 1 it is just BS. He has raced long enough to know that and also on lap 8 of a race paying 5 grand. Come on man

Kromulous
05-18-2021, 09:00 AM
Its only a racing deal, when your not the one in the wall...

Hawkins got done dirty, plain and simple.

Shame of it is Moran is a pretty good racer, has a great Car and package right now, no need to be a Desperado Dip-stick.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-18-2021, 09:05 AM
Its only a racing deal, when your not the one in the wall...

Hawkins got done dirty, plain and simple.

Shame of it is Moran is a pretty good racer, has a great Car and package right now, no need to be a Desperado Dip-stick.

Did you watch the laps prior and reach that conclusion? The highlight video is deceiving. My assessment changed when I saw more of the race. It was a mistake. It was no desperado move.

Kromulous
05-18-2021, 10:33 AM
Yeah was watching the live stream, Hawkins went low in 3 and 4 and lost a bunch of speed on the front stretch. I guess desperate is a bit much, Hawkins probably should have lifted, but it kind of looked like he tried to, not sure.

00Hdmn
05-18-2021, 10:50 AM
Yeah was watching the live stream, Hawkins went low in 3 and 4 and lost a bunch of speed on the front stretch. I guess desperate is a bit much, Hawkins probably should have lifted, but it kind of looked like he tried to, not sure.

If Hawkins would have lifted where he got hit his car would have pushed straight at the wall. No two ways about it, if you get hit in the turn where he did it is a piss poor slide job.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-18-2021, 10:51 AM

I think Moran just carried too much steam for that line. He wasn't setting up a slider. He was just trying to race that groove, but went in way too hot because he had been running the top.

00Hdmn
05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
I think Moran just carried too much steam for that line. He wasn't setting up a slider. He was just trying to race that groove, but went in way too hot because he had been running the top.

That makes more sense.

Kromulous
05-19-2021, 09:29 AM
Yeah i noticed he really sent it into 1, i guess he seen Hawkins slowing and thought it was a good opportunity.

At any rate there has to be give and take out there on both ends sometimes, no one is perfect i guess.

So i retract my desperado statement, I would actually like to see Moran win some big events up there at Eldora.

vande07
05-19-2021, 10:37 AM
Last week the world of outlaws sprint series basically sold out both nights. They have a huge following. I realize the world and dream are there, but lets face it. Tony has done little to nothing to grow the sport in that region, sadly most of the people in the area really dont like Tony making Eldora a special events track only. Thats his choice and thats his track, but along with that came a lot of favor from the locals and law enforcement. Lets see what happens, Even Steve Casebolt drove past the Eldora exit to go 75 miles further away to Atomic. And lets face it, 24v dollars for that weak of a show is very expensive, he should have brought in the 360's also. I know the boos are coming with my next statement but I think Eldora needs to reduce its banking like they did before the NASCRAP trucks came in, especially in 3 and 4. Lets face it, when Eldora is face the racing sucks, its one fast groove all the way around. Speed sells, but competitive racing keeps fans coming back.

Not sure if you were there or watched it, but I watched the WoO show on Dirtvision.

They had basically NO CROWD for the afternoon portion of the WoO Sprints (I'd guess 12-1500)and had a "good crowd" for the nighttime portion, but no where close to a sell out.

Given Eldora's capacity of roughly 20,000, I'd put the crowd at 4-5000 tops for the nighttime portion that weekend from watching on Dirtvision and the drone shots they used.

I don't have Flo, so I can't compare the LM show last weekend to the Outlaw show from a crowd standpoint.

I will say that I believe $24 is too high of ticket price based on the following: I go to Knoxville weekly that pays $4000 to win 410 sprints (and $600 for 24th), and $2000 to win 360 Sprints and also has 305 sprints on the card, all for $15 for adults, $10 for teens and kids under 12 are FREE.

I'd guess the overall purse for Knoxville weekly show and the Late Model show at Eldora are similar and facility wise, they both have similar payroll/overhead costs due to their size.

Both are FOR PROFIT businesses (the Marion County Fair Association is a FOR PROFIT business that pays taxes just like Eldora does, it is not run or operated by the County), so no one can argue they are different because one is on a Fairgrounds.

As far as your statement about reducing the banking. I have no opinion, haven't been to Eldora in 2 decades now.

Regarding Tony making it a "special events only" track. That had been happening under Earl as well.

The last year Earl owned it, but had the following for Special Events: Spring WoO, Spring USAC, Summer All Star Series, Dream, King's Royal, Fall WoO, Fall All Star Series, USAC 4 Crown, and World 100.

Plus, he has the Historical Big One (winged sprints), Mopar Million (non-wing sprints) and Eldora Million (late models) as special events he tried over the years as well.

IMO, the biggest issue for Eldora is LOCATION. Eldora has to use special events to attract customers to come. The race fans in the immediate area around Eldora aren't enough to sustain weekly racing IMO.