PDA

View Full Version : See that overhead shot of Bloomers car?

84wedge
06-09-2021, 05:20 PM
The body is so narrow starting behind the front tires. It looks kinda "circumcised" if you know what I mean. Are all the cars like that?

JabberJaws83
06-09-2021, 05:28 PM
Yep. They are all crooked and sloped. Hate em

84wedge
06-09-2021, 05:34 PM
It also looked like Stormy Scotts spoiler was kinda curved, not straight.

84wedge
06-09-2021, 05:34 PM
Sorry, it's Johnny Scotts Longhorn

c1ty5tar
06-09-2021, 05:47 PM
I was just talking about this with my brother and had taken a picture. Here it is for reference. We were talking about how narrow the front was when he came back out a couple weeks ago after that long break. The right elephant ear was much flatter at the top than everyone else as well.

https://imgur.com/a/pqbYgeJ

84wedge
06-09-2021, 05:59 PM
Thanks. I'm glad someone got a picture of that. It's almost an indy car with a wing for a nose. https://imgur.com/a/pqbYgeJ

JabberJaws83
06-09-2021, 06:07 PM
Could you imagine if the right front and right rear tires had to be in line with each other?

NeedforLM$peed
06-09-2021, 06:20 PM
I'd like to see that in comparison with the #49.

c1ty5tar
06-09-2021, 06:28 PM
Didn’t get a good look at Davenport tonight, but when we noticed it a few weeks ago, Bloomquist’s car was significantly more narrow at the front than Davenports.

84wedge
06-09-2021, 06:36 PM
They just went over all the cars and the only one that looked almost as skinny was one of the Scott brothers Longhorns.Didn't Bloomquist have access to a new Longhorn when he started up with Strickler? Is he copying them but taking it a little farther?

84wedge
06-09-2021, 06:37 PM
those XR1's aren't even close to that shape.

c1ty5tar
06-09-2021, 06:51 PM
They just went over all the cars and the only one that looked almost as skinny was one of the Scott brothers Longhorns.Didn't Bloomquist have access to a new Longhorn when he started up with Strickler? Is he copying them but taking it a little farther?

Johnny’s is a brand new one, just picked up last week, so maybe they are trying something out after seen Bloomquist a couple weeks ago. I didn’t think the other Longhorns were as narrow as it, but they are more narrow than the rockets.

But it makes sense by narrowing the front of the door, the aero will help you straighten out the car more.

keith94elliott
06-09-2021, 06:58 PM
i hope its fast cause it sure looks stupid

JabberJaws83
06-09-2021, 07:02 PM

Strickler didnt own a Longhorn at the time, his old team bought his

00Hdmn
06-09-2021, 07:49 PM
Austin Kirkpatrick body is crazy, his left rear tire isn’t even under the body of the car.

NeedforLM$peed
06-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Didn't Johnny Scott purchase a Longhorn towards middle or the end of last year? Can't remember from who. DoD makes it sound like he's never drove one.

c1ty5tar
06-09-2021, 08:01 PM
Didn't Johnny Scott purchase a Longhorn towards middle or the end of last year? Can't remember from who. DoD makes it sound like he's never drove one.

He’s run lates before. But this particular one was purchased a while ago. Didn’t expect to have it until next month, but it was finished last week.

84wedge
06-09-2021, 08:14 PM
Kirkpatricks car is tiny, like a Swartz.

84wedge
06-09-2021, 08:15 PM
i hope its fast cause it sure looks stupidhahahah. That could be on a shirt. If you're gonna look stupid, you better be fast.

Tireguy17
06-10-2021, 06:35 AM
Overton's RF elephant ear is probably the furthest outside the body line similar to what Bloomer's looks like now

https://brandonoverton76.com/wp-content/uploads/photos/2021/40.jpg

kidrock
06-10-2021, 06:42 AM
Does anyone know if these dirt late model cars go to the wind tunnel?

chupp n bloomer fan
06-10-2021, 07:14 AM
Does anyone know if these dirt late model cars go to the wind tunnel?Yes they do.

JabberJaws83
06-10-2021, 08:29 AM

Yep, that's exactly how we ended up with these bodies

MRM
06-10-2021, 09:08 AM
Austin Kirkpatrick body is crazy, his left rear tire isn’t even under the body of the car.

That's the way they used to look.

dirty-white-boy
06-10-2021, 11:50 AM
Kirkpatricks car is tiny, like a Swartz.

Exactly what I said when I seen it!!

looks like a mini late

cjsracing
06-10-2021, 12:54 PM
Yep. They are all crooked and sloped. Hate em

See I am the opposite, I think they look cool.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-10-2021, 01:24 PM
They better eventually enforce some of the rules. They’ll just continue to keep pushing the envelope farther and farther.

robbie35
06-10-2021, 01:28 PM
Does anyone have pics of Austin Kirkpatricks car?

BloomerWon
06-10-2021, 01:29 PM
If they where shoes, they'd be the left one... 😁

JabberJaws83
06-10-2021, 01:35 PM
See I am the opposite, I think they look cool.

You can real them in and not drastically change the cool factor. But that right front/right rear has got to go.

zyoung25
06-10-2021, 01:39 PM
I can't believe no one has noticed Francis is there doing post race tech.

JabberJaws83
06-10-2021, 02:58 PM
I saw him but didn’t think it was a big deal. It was already said they would be working together to not do crap

MRM
06-10-2021, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have pics of Austin Kirkpatricks car?

Not from Eldora, but this is how his car always looks:

https://www.mrmracingphotos.net/img/s/v-10/p2461694611-4.jpg

https://www.mrmracingphotos.net/img/s/v-10/p2461701221-4.jpg

Mike
06-10-2021, 10:10 PM

Yes they were in the wind tunnel years ago. Since they started taking them to the tunnel people have been pushing the rules further and further every year too see what they could get by with. Give someone an inch and they will take a mile thus you get today's bodies.

The same thing has happened in the modified class as well.

c1ty5tar
06-10-2021, 10:18 PM
Yes they were in the wind tunnel years ago. Since they started taking them to the tunnel people have been pushing the rules further and further every year too see what they could get by with. Give someone an inch and they will take a mile thus you get today's bodies.

The same thing has happened in the modified class as well.

Mods aren’t anywhere close to being as drastically affected with the lesser surface area in the front though. Plus the 9” tires help create parity and closer racing.

I’m a huge mod fan and usually you will get a much better show from say a USMTS race because of those factors.

Mike
06-11-2021, 06:57 AM
Mods aren’t anywhere close to being as drastically affected with the lesser surface area in the front though. Plus the 9” tires help create parity and closer racing.

I’m a huge mod fan and usually you will get a much better show from say a USMTS race because of those factors.

Mods bodies just like late models have evolved with wind tunnel testing. The mod bodies have drastically changed over the last 10 years or so. If you think aero/and down force doesn't play a factor your crazy.

Things like more rake, molded noses, side skirting and wheel flares came from the testing. Just like the late models the bodies get pushed pass the limit in Florida. Guys see how far the can go. Just look at all the controversy at the winter nationals this year. A lot of people were questioning some of those bodies just from watching the video stream. They have gotten so far out of control a lot more people have started to notice, but if you was paying attention years ago you could see the direction they were headed.

Funny you bring up the 9" tire as well. Wasn't the old rule 8" tires ? Those bodies combined with the wider tire allows you to get those higher horsepower engines hooked up which has driven up the cost. As a result you now have several classes of modifieds, (ie A-mod, B-mod, Sport Mod, Northern Sport mod ect.) just like late models.

c1ty5tar
06-11-2021, 09:24 AM
Mods bodies just like late models have evolved with wind tunnel testing. The mod bodies have drastically changed over the last 10 years or so. If you think aero/and down force doesn't play a factor your crazy.

Things like more rake, molded noses, side skirting and wheel flares came from the testing. Just like the late models the bodies get pushed pass the limit in Florida. Guys see how far the can go. Just look at all the controversy at the winter nationals this year. A lot of people were questioning some of those bodies just from watching the video stream. They have gotten so far out of control a lot more people have started to notice, but if you was paying attention years ago you could see the direction they were headed.

Funny you bring up the 9" tire as well. Wasn't the old rule 8" tires ? Those bodies combined with the wider tire allows you to get those higher horsepower engines hooked up which has driven up the cost. As a result you now have several classes of modifieds, (ie A-mod, B-mod, Sport Mod, Northern Sport mod ect.) just like late models.

I didn’t say they weren’t affected, just not affected near as much. I do think they are going too far with the decking and sails though. Check out Lance Mari’s car. The deck from the rear wheels to the back is basically just an extension of the spoiler due to change in pitch of it.

I agree the costs have gone up for them, but series are still trying to keep them down. The spec motors are still competitive and the series communicate a bit regarding rules also.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-11-2021, 11:41 AM

The UMP mods have one saving grace. The lack of spoiler has them racing better than LM.

Mike
06-11-2021, 12:02 PM
The UMP mods have one saving grace. The lack of spoiler has them racing better than LM.

They play with the roof when they can’t have a spoiler. Hoffman’s roof along with other body mods was a hot topic back at the winter nationals.

Here is an old article from Hot Rod magazine where Strickler talks about aerodynamics and modified racing.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp...r-dirt-racers/

I was looking at the UMP rules. Can a track make up their own rules and race under the UMP umbrella now?

https://dirtcar.com/rules/dirtcar-modifieds/