PDA

View Full Version : Circle city roll call

noitall93w
07-13-2021, 06:28 AM
After the WoO debacle I wonder how many will show up

HoosierDirtFan
07-13-2021, 06:37 AM
It really wasn’t a debacle. I was there at that race. Just a new track that needs to get thing’s right. Their last race Sunday July 5th wasn’t to bad and was decent racing.

MasterOfDisasterLaster
07-13-2021, 07:32 PM
As far as local guys going, Myself - 13 Laster, 14B - Britan Godsey, 1CJ - Casey White, 43 - Kody Marsee, not too many Brownstown guys came up for the WoO race, I doubt many come up this time aswell, although I think the racing will be much better, they’ve been working on the track for the past week straight and the pictures I’ve seen look fantastic. We did get a litte shower today, not sure how that will affect it but I think it will be pretty good.

NeedforLM$peed
07-14-2021, 05:50 PM
Early stages of a moto cross track

HoosierDirtFan
07-14-2021, 05:57 PM
25 late models in attendance.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 05:58 PM
25 cars. Track looks much better than it did for the previous events. Smooth with the cushion pushed all the way up to the wall in the middle of 1 and 2 during late model qualifying. The track is a similar size and configuration as Fairbury, but the tires in the infield may need to be moved in for the bottom groove to be like it is at Fairbury.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 06:23 PM
Pierce wins Heat 1. They watered the middle and bottom after qualifying and packed the top. Middle became the preferred line in the modified heats and for Pierce in heat 1.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 06:28 PM
Gilpin wins heat 2 with an all Indiana top 3. A couple puffs of smoke came from Chamberlain in 3rd and something appeared to be dragging just underneath the driver’s side door.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 06:30 PM
A calamity into turn 1 on the start of heat 3. 7 of the 8 starters spin and come to a stop, but all refire and we try again.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 06:36 PM
Schlenk wins heat 3. Everybody on the bottom in the last 2 heats. All heats are finished so hopefully they will water again.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 07:02 PM
Steve Peeden picks up the win in the annually mis-named consolation race.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 07:41 PM
Hoffman wins the modified feature. The first 5 laps were good with Nicely, Woodling, and Hoffman racing 3 wide. Woodling was smooth and rolling the top with Nicely on the bottom and Hoffman peeking under him trying to get by. Woodling edged ahead for a lap, then Nicely moved up to try to take away Woodling’s line and let Hoffman go right on by. Woodling broke on the next lap and Hoffman wasn’t challenged until the last 5 laps in traffic. Nicely closed to within a couple car lengths when Hoffman was hung up in the middle of a group of lappers. It’s the most (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)-eyed ugly car, but Hoffman keeps on taking home the wins. Good run for Tommy Sheppard Jr coming from 20th to 4th.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 07:54 PM
Caution on lap 15. Pierce leads Spencer Hughes with English 3rd. Pierce was running the bottom early and Hughes was running him down using the high side. Pierce moved up as he closed in on lapped traffic and has stayed there, taking away any advantage Hughes was getting.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 08:01 PM
Pierce wins, Godsey climbs up to grab 2nd, Hughes 3rd.

Pennsboro32
07-14-2021, 08:02 PM
Heck of a race for second.

Mud Packer
07-14-2021, 08:27 PM
Pierce wins, Godsey climbs up to grab 2nd, Hughes 3rd.

WOW! What time did they start? Seems awfully early to be finished already. Great that they got the show in and done early on a week night. Thanks for all the updates as well.

hoodpin
07-14-2021, 09:03 PM
Only 2 classes, didn't mess around! Other tracks should take note on their weeknight races!

B_K
07-14-2021, 09:33 PM
I’m staying on this bandwagon. Spencer Hughes is going to be a superstar.

hoosier race fan
07-14-2021, 10:40 PM
WOW! What time did they start? Seems awfully early to be finished already. Great that they got the show in and done early on a week night. Thanks for all the updates as well.
They did a nice job keeping the show rolling. Started hot laps on time at 6. Anthem at 6:55 and the first heat was green at 7. 3 modified heats and 3 late model heats were done before 8. Minimal track prep time and a b-main for the late models done by 8:15. Brief intermission for a little water and wheel packing, then both features ran with very few cautions (good track prep helps make that possible). Checkers flew to finish the show at 9. Well done.

Pennsboro32
07-15-2021, 05:35 AM
I second that BK. The kid has what it takes.

GEAR_HEAD
07-15-2021, 07:26 AM
Only 2 classes, didn't mess around! Other tracks should take note on their weeknight races!

UMP needs to insist that every track runs their show like that! The majority of Summernats shows turn into a circus anymore, with Spoon River, FALS, and Circle City being the outliers by running great shows. Even Farmer City did a decent job of keeping the show moving this year, but they only do that when weather is threatening.

LM1
07-15-2021, 07:45 AM
I'll second that GEAR_HEAD

IL LM Fan
07-15-2021, 01:53 PM
Two classes, 20 Mods (no consi). 45 total cars. Eastern time zone starting at 7. Did anyone NOT expect an early night? They even took their time watering a couple times as well as lining up the Feature.

hoosier race fan
07-15-2021, 04:25 PM
Two classes, 20 Mods (no consi). 45 total cars. Eastern time zone starting at 7. Did anyone NOT expect an early night? They even took their time watering a couple times as well as lining up the Feature.
They did have the right recipe for a quick and efficient show, and to their credit, Circle City gave us just that. I made a 1 hr 45 minute drive there knowing that most summer nationals shows go one of two ways - good surface with a full field (or less than full field) of cars that is finished in 3 or so hours, or a junk surface that tears up equipment and they drag the show along to take 4+ hours. I experienced the sh!t show that occurred at the Dirt Oval Route 66 a few years ago which had a handful of cars in 3 classes, they started almost 2 hours late, and weren’t finished over 3 hours after the first green flag for heat races. That’s where was my bar was set - anything better than that would have been sufficient for me. Circle City far exceeded that with the quality of the program and efficiency. True that they didn’t have a stacked field of 30 or more in both classes, but I was pleased with the racing. I hoped to be on the road by 10 eastern. I walked through the pits for 15 minutes after the show ended and was on the road by 9:20.

On a related note, the track is a pain to get to on a week night. Traffic in Indy sucks when you’re trying to get to a race around 5:30-6:00. Maybe they could consider bumping the show back an hour for an 8:00 start. The crowd was very thin when I got there at 6:00 and really didn’t fill in until almost 8:00.

hoodpin
07-15-2021, 05:15 PM
10-4 on Spencer Hughes. He is gonna be a good one!!!