PDA

View Full Version : Low car count at I-80...

thexfactor0210
07-20-2021, 07:59 PM
Why only 43 cars for over 500 grand in purse money this week? It pays crazy good money on Saturday with 5300 kust to start and a 5300 to win non qualifiers race. It is kinda upsetting more guys did not support it with all the money being paid out..

BirkyTime15B
07-20-2021, 08:07 PM
Have to remember that Open Late Models race nowhere out there. Or in Iowa for that matter. I guess 50 cars by the weekend.

TerryM
07-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Do they have to be there tonight, in order to race Saturday?

HoosierDirtFan
07-20-2021, 08:15 PM
Do they have to be there tonight, in order to race Saturday?

Terry from what I understand no. Just basically a regular show tonight.

TerryM
07-20-2021, 08:19 PM
Terry from what I understand no. Just basically a regular show tonight.
That’s what I thought.

No reason for people to freak out because there’s “only” 43 cars for a $7,000-to-win Tuesday night show. How many did they expect tonight?

Paradox28
07-20-2021, 08:21 PM
Tonight and tomorrow are earning points for the 30k show Thursday. Technically, can show up just Friday and Saturday to race for the 53k. I'd say the car count won't change much from now til then

TerryM
07-20-2021, 08:42 PM
My boy qualifies fastest overall and has to start 6th in his heat, on a track you can’t pass on. Ugh.

Josh Bayko
07-20-2021, 08:58 PM
There aren't a whole lot of super lates in general these days. Anything over 40 is a bonus.

EDERDS
07-20-2021, 09:03 PM
Is it out of the question that there might have been a lil calculated sandbagging in qualifying trying to get better starting positions for the heats?

Highside Hustler25
07-20-2021, 09:48 PM
TerryM, he's on the pole. You think they should give him a 1 lap head start?

intel8
07-20-2021, 10:10 PM
Finish, Overton, O'Neal, Thornton, Bronson. Overton half throttle to the win, guy is way smooth!

EDERDS
07-20-2021, 10:14 PM
Overton could run his car anywhere he wanted and he is getting unreal bite coming out of the turns

huskerdirt
07-20-2021, 11:43 PM
90% of the field gathered at I-80 is from east of the track and it’s always been like that. The car count hasn’t been over 50 since MLRA was dropped the co sanction. When you have a Heck Tour swing, and 10k, 20k to win dotted on the map it makes a huge difference. Outside of Moyer Sr retiring, pretty much every guy that was at I-80 last year is racing somewhere else. I don’t blame them either, money makes this thing go around for the drivers.

FWIW, the race had 46 cars last year and looks like 45-46 cars will be total number by the time we are done for the week.

Mod Runner
07-21-2021, 12:37 AM
Five days is a long time to be at one track unless you are independently wealthy. Look for the less funded teams to show up on Thursday.

fryefan
07-21-2021, 09:34 AM
Five days is a long time to be at one track unless you are independently wealthy. Look for the less funded teams to show up on Thursday.

They had better show up tonight or Friday. Thursday's show is based upon results from Tuesday and Wednesday. If a new team shows up on Thursday, then they will start at the very back in a b-main (or c-main depending how they title their non-qualified races).

jbinlincoln
07-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Several teams simply don't have the luxury of getting time off for midweek shows one or more states away. I think the $5300-to-start money for Saturday night's main event will bring a few more haulers into the pits.

A couple of observations on Night One... First, I'm sure I already know, but I would really love to hear some thoughts from the LOLMDS regulars about Tuesday & Wednesday formats, which are essentially the SLMR/Malvern Bank rules. Heat rare lineups invert the top 6 from qualifying, with passing points determining starting lineup for the feature each night. It meant that polesitter Brandon Sheppard had to win his heat or start on the front row of a B-Main. Sure enough, he came in second behind Jonathan Davenport in an absolutely loaded heat one. The 30-lap feature was entertaining and sufficiently stacked from front to back with the very best. With the track still a bit tacky, while there was great side-by-side racing, it didn't necessarily allow for a deep-starting driver to make a hard-charging run to the front. After tangling with a tricky cushion (like several others did) in turns 3-4, B-Shepp couldn't move forward and bowed out with issues late in the feature. The format takes a driver's best finish of the two nights, so there will be several teams trying to rally tonight, and some others perhaps doing more testing than competing upfront.

Second, I also think I know the answer to this, but I'd still love to hear more LOLMDS regulars' thoughts on the tire rule for the weekend. Hoosier D55's, no grooving or siping. They can have a different LF, however. On one hand, I'm sure teams don't mind not having to spend the time it takes (30 minutes a tire!?) grinding, grooving & siping in the boiling sun that is SDN Week. But, I also think this is just enough deviation from what many traveling teams are used to that it throws them off, especially on night one of a multi-day program. Maybe I'm overthinking that, but even with a notebook full of notes from previous years, the cars and setups do change, and that makes some notes obsolete. Ultimately, the cream rises to the top, and that was certainly the case with Brandon Overton. His smoothness on corner entry, his combination of gas & brake running a middle groove (a Bloomquist line, as some like to call it), and whatever shock package they've hit on....it's just an unbeatable combination right now. Hard to judge just on one 30-lapper, but my money would be on the 76 to get at least one of the big checks this week at I-80, if not both.

Tad Pospisil looks to be back with a different open motor for Thursday's program, for sure. Maybe by tonight, but it will be close.

Speaking of open motors... Anybody got a Vic Hill or a Clements lying around for Jesse Sobbing to borrow? Hey, a fan can dare to dream, can't he?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-21-2021, 11:00 AM
I wonder how many grooved tires before the rule was changed? How many bought LM40, only to be told later they were not allowed?

Biggest thing on the 55 is that unused tires won't be used.

Bforwarned
07-21-2021, 06:22 PM
Sad they dont have the USMTS with them this year either.

Mod Runner
07-22-2021, 01:45 AM
Now that would be a show to have USMTS and SLM at the same track.

manwplan
07-22-2021, 07:28 AM
I wonder how many grooved tires before the rule was changed? How many bought LM40, only to be told later they were not allowed?

A lot of pissed off teams I'm told that had tires ready to go only to have to buy more. Smooth move Lucas at a time when tires are hard to come by.

Pennsboro32
07-22-2021, 07:30 AM
Essex said that Gustin will be there Friday.

huskerdirt
07-22-2021, 08:27 AM

The rule was changed on July 13th. Blame the tire shortage, 55s are the local rule around here. I hardly believe it affected the traveling teams that much.

I’ve seen local guys buy the tires right off the car after this week is over. I’m sure they’ll be fine.

huskerdirt
07-22-2021, 08:29 AM
Sad they dont have the USMTS with them this year either.

When you only bring 20 cars to the race for several years and then ask for it to be 10k to win. Don’t be surprised if your series gets dropped from the weekend.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-22-2021, 09:30 AM
Husker,

Probably depends who you are, when you found out. The website didn't have the updated info until long after July 13. Even then, that's late in the game. LM40 are not easy to get if you live in Illinois, let alone Kansas, Nebraska, or somewhere else out that way. I know at least one team who was screwed by the poor management.

huskerdirt
07-22-2021, 09:55 AM
Husker,

Probably depends who you are, when you found out. The website didn't have the updated info until long after July 13. Even then, that's late in the game. LM40 are not easy to get if you live in Illinois, let alone Kansas, Nebraska, or somewhere else out that way. I know at least one team who was screwed by the poor management.

40s is the tire rule for Malvern Bank series. Everybody out here has those along with 55s. Mlra runs 40s, Lucas had 40s as an option at Wheatland. Out here those are pretty much the only tires you can get right now.

I-80 posted the tire rule change on its social media on July 13th. I know a text message went out on July 12th from Schwallie. I know most of the local teams were happy with the change.

stock car driver
07-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Husker,

If a team is screwed by this then they clearly are in over their head already. They should move down a class or two.

NeedforLM$peed
07-22-2021, 10:28 AM
If they aren't suppose to groove tires why have I seen some pics and video of grooved tires

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-22-2021, 10:35 AM
If a team is screwed by this then they clearly are in over their head already. They should move down a class or two.

Spending a week preparing for a race, buying tires for 5 nights of racing, tires you won't use the rest of the year? You must be joking. No one wants to spend a grand or more on useless stuff.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-22-2021, 10:38 AM
If they aren't suppose to groove tires why have I seen some pics and video of grooved tires

I've seen nothing but the factory grooves.

NeedforLM$peed
07-22-2021, 10:52 AM
Doesn't look like factory grooves on the LF tire of the #14. They are angled on the outside. Slightly harder to see on Bronson's but it looks like more than factory grooves on the RR. There's another pic of Stormy Scott with a front tire the same way. When they showed a close up of the quick change cover hanging of O'Neal's car last night. You could clearly see more than factory grooves in the LR.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lucasdirt/status/1418044969881948163

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-22-2021, 10:57 AM
Doesn't look like factory grooves on the LF tire of the #14. They are angled on the outside. Slightly harder to see on Bronson's but it looks like more than factory grooves on the RR. There's another pic of Stormy Scott with a front tire the same way. When they showed a close up of the quick change cover hanging of O'Neal's car last night. You could clearly see more than factory grooves in the LR.

You are allowed to groove LF, if it's a 1350. That was the exception.

The WRS55 has a small block pattern. That's all I remember seeing on the 71.

JimBo
07-22-2021, 10:58 AM

There you go stirring up BS again. You just can't help it, can you? Do you ever actually go to a race or just post BS on social media? Terry was right about you.

NeedforLM$peed
07-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Oh ok. I didn't see that rule in the comments. Pretty sure #71 had angle cuts. Don't see the video anywhere.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-22-2021, 11:03 AM
Oh ok. I didn't see that rule in the comments. Pretty sure #71 had angle cuts. Don't see the video anywhere.

The WRS55 has angle cuts on that shoulder, that blisters under these conditions, and on the outer 2 rows of full tread.

stock car driver
07-22-2021, 11:11 AM
Spending a week preparing for a race, buying tires for 5 nights of racing, tires you won't use the rest of the year? You must be joking. No one wants to spend a grand or more on useless stuff.

It took a week to groove the tires?

If your racing a lm 1000 is spare change, if its not move on down or stay local.

If you have the tires go to some other races pretty simple.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-22-2021, 11:30 AM

If your racing a lm 1000 is spare change, if its not move on down or stay local.

I've never done 30 tires at once. Has to take a while. Hell, I've never seen 30 new tires.

Josh Bayko
07-22-2021, 11:36 AM

It’s not really the national touring guys, who generally employ somebody specifically to prep tires that are whining about this. It’s the regional guys who aren’t on six figure budgets each season. They are the drivers of car counts at these events.

manwplan
07-22-2021, 11:43 AM
The dumbest thing ever is managing a tire shortage by making guys buy new tires so they can be ungrooved. Instead of using what they have. Pure stupidity.

huskerdirt
07-22-2021, 11:53 AM
The local/regional guys already have 40s and 55s in the trailer because that’s what gets run every week out here. I don’t know why it’s so hard comprehend that.

If JD, Richards, BShepp have to buy tires. I don’t think anybody feels bad for them.

NeedforLM$peed
07-22-2021, 12:08 PM
There you go stirring up BS again. You just can't help it, can you? Do you ever actually go to a race or just post BS on social media? Terry was right about you.

The f' you talking about. How is that stirring up bs by asking what I observed?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-22-2021, 12:19 PM
Are their wrs55 uncut, Husker?

And LM40 is not used by Malvern, as you stated above.

mcarter815
07-22-2021, 12:24 PM
The SLMR rules don't allow grooving, siping, or needling so if the regional guys are typically running under those rules, then yes the tires they already have are uncut

huskerdirt
07-22-2021, 12:37 PM
Are their wrs55 uncut, Husker?

And LM40 is not used by Malvern, as you stated above.

My mistake on the 40s. It’s been along week out here. Lol.

55s are uncut, no grooving/siping, or needling is allowed.

Highside Hustler25
07-22-2021, 02:12 PM

Psst...Richards to MasterSbilt.🙄

Raceready
07-22-2021, 09:25 PM
Psst...Richards to MasterSbilt.Did the Wells Longhorn deal fall through then ?

riddle28
07-23-2021, 08:04 AM
between a tire shortage, diesel over 3 a gallon and a looming recession its really not surprising car counts are dropping. its a comparable year to 09

84wedge
07-23-2021, 02:45 PM
I think O'Neil passing Overton and Overton passing him back were the only times any passing was done in the features. I was almost wishing there was a "competition caution" last night.