PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Speedway?

FieldFiller
08-04-2021, 08:15 PM
Has anyone been to Dixie Speedway recently or know why it has kind of fallen off the face of the dirt late model world?I haven’t heard anything about it in a long time. Always thought it would be a really cool track to visit when I was younger due to all of the Hav A Tampa history, but it seems like they don’t even host major series races anymore.Would it still be worth checking out?

weatherman85
08-04-2021, 09:08 PM
The Dixie shootout has the Lucas Oil series in town ever year. Racing isn’t as good because they literally qualify EVERY class for weekly shows.

Hoosier
08-04-2021, 10:53 PM
Slowly they are dropping the "Dixie" and becoming "The Red
Clay track in Woodstock". Mike's son i slowly moving up the management pole - and hopefully will be a better promoter.

RayCook53fan
08-05-2021, 08:49 AM
Went there in May for the Spring Nationals race, there was a big crowd, food was great, racing was terrible. Looked like they dumped 5 loads of water on the top of a rock hard surface and said roll with it. Lined up and rode around the bottom. Just no effort for track prep anymore. It's sad.

B_K
08-05-2021, 10:13 PM
When they started being ashamed of the name and fan base that built them I kind of quit caring about them.

champion24
08-05-2021, 10:34 PM
My $0.02. I think it's a battle among Mickey, Mia, and Chase. Some like some things and ways, others like others. Dixie's days are numbered, in many ways! It pains me greatly! The Swims long term racing future is in Rome.

Action10
08-06-2021, 05:46 AM
Looked like they dumped 5 loads of water on the top of a rock hard surface and said roll with it. Lined up and rode around the bottom. Just no effort for track prep anymore. It's sad.I've seen a lot of this lately at a lot of different tracks, even from promoters that normally prep a good track. Why is this becoming more common? I hate to see it.

TerryM
08-06-2021, 10:46 AM
I’ve been to Dixie maybe 7 or 8 times — but it’s been spread out over several decades. First time in the late 80’s. Then a couple times in the 90’s, a couple times in the 00’s, and now a couple times since I moved to GA a few years ago. This is my take.

My first trip(s) here, it felt like the track was out in the sticks. Over the years, it has become much less country, and more surrounded by commercial growth. Now it feels like it almost feels like it sits next to the interstate. It’s being swallowed up. That’s problem number one. Then you consider the racing. For Supers, red clay was cool in the 80’s. That’s changed too. It’s almost impossible to find a red clay track that produces great DLM racing now. Lots of things are hurting Dixie.

Pennsboro32
08-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Is there a good red clay surface in the entire country?

CIRF
08-06-2021, 11:14 AM

Bloomington Speedway in Indiana consistently hosts very good racing on a surface of red clay.

Pennsboro32
08-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Bloomington Speedway in Indiana consistently hosts very good racing on a surface of red clay.

Maybe I should have said southern red clay?

What track would most people agree is the best surface in the south? Mag? Senoia? I believe they're more gumbo than anything.

B_K
08-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Tri County
Whynot
Talladega
I75

Pennsboro32
08-06-2021, 12:31 PM
Tri County
Whynot
Talladega
I75

Those are solid for sure. Whynot probably the best IMO.

riddle28
08-06-2021, 01:03 PM

the bullring in columbus, ms was hard to beat when stokes had it. whynot races pretty well present day. its the track prep and formats in the south that hurts the racing more than the surface. qualifying for feature position with minimal track prep is not a good combo

B_K
08-06-2021, 01:16 PM
the bullring in columbus, ms was hard to beat when stokes had it. whynot races pretty well present day. its the track prep and formats in the south that hurts the racing more than the surface. qualifying for feature position with minimal track prep is not a good combo

Early 2000’s Columbus was great and had a fantastic atmosphere for big shows.

I’m fine with qualifying your top two classes. Everyone else draws for heats.

MRM
08-06-2021, 02:06 PM
Promoters have been held hostage by drivers that refuse to run heats. With so many tracks in East Tennessee, they're afraid they'll leave for a neighboring track. In a place like Dixie, there's not much competition. So where are they going to go?

Pennsboro32
08-06-2021, 02:25 PM
Bristol had as red of clay you can get, or at least it was on my tv screen.

I said good red clay. I think it's too early to tell if Bristol had good clay, the first dirt race they had was just super hammer down for lates.

Barbecueboy
08-06-2021, 02:37 PM
Screven has some real good racing on theirs.

weatherman85
08-06-2021, 05:16 PM
Promoters have been held hostage by drivers that refuse to run heats. With so many tracks in East Tennessee, they're afraid they'll leave for a neighboring track. In a place like Dixie, there's not much competition. So where are they going to go?

Where are they gonna go? Senoia, North Georgia speedway, West Georgia Speedway, TST isn’t that far.

Senoia is the main reason Dixie did away with the spin wheel and started qualifying Crate and Limited. Senoia qualified theses classes so drivers started going there when they had to do heat races at Dixie. Not too long ago, only Supers qualified and then spun the wheel for invert. Wheel jus sits there collecting dust now when they do run Supers.

weatherman85
08-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Senoia isn’t purely gumbo as it once was. I’m told the new owners have been mixing in other dirt. I even noticed in a recent visit that is not nearly as gray in color as it once was.

TerryM
08-06-2021, 06:19 PM
Amen, brother. I’ve talked to promoters and drivers. Some drivers have turned into pu**ies. Not wanting to run heats is evidence A. It’s a southern thing. And before anyone says it, yes, I’ve talked face to face with several of them. Anyone who knows me personally, knows I’m not a keyboard warrior. They say it’s a money thing. They say they tear up more stuff in heats than they tear up in the feature. Yada, yada, yada. If it’s really a money issue, drop down to the FWD class.

TerryM
08-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Screven has some real good racing on theirs.
Screven is not the kind of red clay we’re referring to.

TerryM
08-06-2021, 06:56 PM
When they started being ashamed of the name and fan base that built them I kind of quit caring about them.
I’m holding back on this one.

MADCAPRACING22
08-06-2021, 07:44 PM

I agree with you 100%!!!

MADCAPRACING22
08-06-2021, 07:46 PM
Slowly they are dropping the "Dixie" and becoming "The Red
Clay track in Woodstock". Mike's son i slowly moving up the management pole - and hopefully will be a better promoter.

Total bull—-t. Where the hell did that come from? Lol!

B_K
08-07-2021, 09:23 AM
Feel free to not.