PDA

View Full Version : Lucas race

dirtSLMracing
08-12-2021, 09:47 PM
I tuned in late so Im sure they discussed it but what happened to the normal camera guys? Broadcast is unwatchable.

84wedge
08-12-2021, 09:51 PM
There was lightning all around the track all night so the camera operators were brought down from the cranes.

Kryptonite17
08-12-2021, 09:52 PM
What happened to Hoffman in the 0? Guessing something broke or he folded the nose under but was hard to tell from the camera angle.

TerryM
08-12-2021, 09:53 PM
Overton wins! Great run for JD — 25th to 5th — after terrible luck all night.

84wedge
08-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Four of the top five finishers in Longhorns.

Dlmfan123
08-12-2021, 10:00 PM
I liked the straight away cameras. Most of the time mav switches cameras so many times it's hard to tell where you are watching

zyoung25
08-12-2021, 10:04 PM
What happened to Hoffman in the 0? Guessing something broke or he folded the nose under but was hard to tell from the camera angle.

Rolled the nose under. That car had the characteristics of an elite mod tonight. Which is probably what led to the nose getting rolled under.

Kryptonite17
08-12-2021, 10:11 PM
Thanks zyoung. Rooting for Nick just wish he was in a different ride.

dirtSLMracing
08-12-2021, 10:14 PM
There was lightning all around the track all night so the camera operators were brought down from the cranes.

So the 5000 folks in the stands were no concern or all the crew guys in the pits.. just the 2 camera guys.. LOL

WisWildManFan
08-12-2021, 10:16 PM
Rolled the nose under. That car had the characteristics of an elite mod tonight. Which is probably what led to the nose getting rolled under.I’ve noticed that 2 mod almost looks like a shovel how low that nose sits

Raceready
08-13-2021, 02:24 AM
Four of the top five finishers in Longhorns.Seems like those Longhorns have been winning everything for awhile now.

TerryM
08-13-2021, 04:31 AM
So the 5000 folks in the stands were no concern or all the crew guys in the pits.. just the 2 camera guys.. LOL
You really don’t understand that?

dirtSLMracing
08-13-2021, 08:06 AM
Terry..

If lightning is a concern for the cameramen is should be a concern for everyone at the track.

BerckFan
08-13-2021, 09:04 AM
Fans and crews are on their own to make decisions for themselves, you assume the risk by being at the track in the first place. Not to mention, those camera men are at a higher risk due to their location. JMO

Pennsboro32
08-13-2021, 09:07 AM
Seems like those Longhorns have been winning everything for awhile now.

No doubt Longhorns have had a strong year. But maybe you missed Hudson's Show Me win. Terbo's $30,000 win at I-80 and Bronson's dominating run in the Silver Dollar Nats?

zyoung25
08-13-2021, 10:57 AM
Terry..

If lightning is a concern for the cameramen is should be a concern for everyone at the track.

So it sounds like you're just lookong for another reason to complain basically. If you would've turned that race on and seen they were at a stand still because of lightning in the area, let's run to 4m and complain about it. It wasn't a hostage situation. Anyone there could have gotten up and left anytime they wanted if they didn't feel safe being there.

dirtSLMracing
08-13-2021, 11:30 AM
So it sounds like you're just lookong for another reason to complain basically. If you would've turned that race on and seen they were at a stand still because of lightning in the area, let's run to 4m and complain about it. It wasn't a hostage situation. Anyone there could have gotten up and left anytime they wanted if they didn't feel safe being there.

Hard to believe that folks would not see the issue. Lightning in the area would put only the 2 cameramen in danger.. everyone is is safe... that is dumb.

TerryM
08-13-2021, 11:39 AM
Hard to believe that folks would not see the issue. Lightning in the area would put only the 2 cameramen in danger.. everyone is is safe... that is dumb.
They took down the two or three cameras who were in scissor lifts, 40-feet high. Basically lightening rods. You really have a problem with that?

dirtSLMracing
08-13-2021, 11:44 AM
They took down the two or three cameras who were in scissor lifts, 40-feet high. Basically lightening rods. You really have a problem with that?

I have a problem with racing if lightning was a concern.

https://stormhighway.com/lightning_always_strikes_tallest_object_myth.php

TerryM
08-13-2021, 11:57 AM
There’s a thing in our area called heat lightening. That seemed to be the case last night. It’s not the same as storm lightening. It doesn’t bring rain, or dangerous lightening.

dirtSLMracing
08-13-2021, 12:04 PM
quote:

There’s a thing in our area called heat lightening. That seemed to be the case last night. It’s not the same as storm lightening. It doesn’t bring rain, or dangerous lightening.

.................................................. .................................................. .................

If that is the case there was no need to bring down the cameramen, right?

Sort of like "no need to transfer them off the base" in A Few Good Men.

NeedforLM$peed
08-13-2021, 12:07 PM
Give it up dude.

https://images.app.goo.gl/4gFuY1C5GBb1huPK7

TerryM
08-13-2021, 12:11 PM
LOL … you really didn’t understand that? Again?

dirtSLMracing
08-13-2021, 12:12 PM
Terry.. if it was not dangerous then why did they take down the cameramen?

TerryM
08-13-2021, 12:19 PM
It was extremely dangerous for the cameramen high up in those lightening rod lifts. Everyone else had the option of staying or leaving.

CIRF
08-13-2021, 12:21 PM
There is no such thing as "heat lightning". It does not exist.

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/heat-lightning-explainer

Raceready
08-13-2021, 12:31 PM
No doubt Longhorns have had a strong year. But maybe you missed Hudson's Show Me win. Terbo's $30,000 win at I-80 and Bronson's dominating run in the Silver Dollar Nats?I wont be sad because 3 out of many ain't bad ..........

TerryM
08-13-2021, 12:32 PM
LOL … ok. I’ve seen it, been around it, and lived with it my entire life … but it doesn’t exist. Okie dokie.

427c.i.
08-13-2021, 12:35 PM
I fully understand not having the scissor lifts up but maybe they should of struck a quick deal with whomever filmed for DoD and patched their camera in? Or sent the cameraman doing pit interviews up in the stands next to the DoD guy to film.
Sometimes you have to improvise!!

CIRF
08-13-2021, 12:44 PM
What you have seen, been around and lived your entire life is distant lightning of which you can't hear the thunder, you can only see the flash of lightning.

Here's more, so take it up with all the folks who have their names on the articles in links provided.

You didn't think you'd learn something today, did ya'? But you did.

https://www.reconnectwithnature.org/news-events/the-buzz/myth-buster-there-s-no-such-thing-as-heat-lightni#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20heat%20lightning%20 doesn,to%20the%20National%20Weather%20Service.

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Heat-lightning-is-a-MYTH-Heres-why-569940161.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_lightning

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/heat-lightning-a-myth/279953

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2021/05/11/this-may-shock-you-but-heat-lightning-is-not-a-thing/?sh=571a8e319fe9

Barbecueboy
08-13-2021, 01:42 PM
There is no such thing as "heat lightning". It does not exist.

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/heat-lightning-explainer
Thank the Lord, somebody that actually took the time to look it up. You are 100% right sir.

I used to think they were such a thing as heat lightning also because that’s what I was told it was. Then I asked somebody smarter than me who happen to be one of the local television meteorologist that lives in our neighborhood and he echoed exactly what you just did.

Some people just think their opinions are more valuable than others and so they cannot be wrong. Hope you are well in Illinois.

Pennsboro32
08-13-2021, 01:45 PM
I wont be sad because 3 out of many ain't bad ..........

I mean, I just picked 3 of the bigger races this season. There's tons and tons more on the national, regional, and local level. But go ahead..

84wedge
08-13-2021, 02:18 PM
I was amazed the show went through. All the lightning surrounding the track and no rain, it looked pretty cool.

CIRF
08-13-2021, 04:04 PM
Can't get the "reply with quote" option to work, BBQ.

We're doing well here in The Land O' Lincoln & crooked politicians. At least so far. One of the biggest racing weekends of the season outside of the PDC here in Illinois is coming up soon and the genius's in chitcago are beginning to lock things down just a bit. We're going to have to wear face coverings in the grandstands at the Illinois State Fair this year for all the concerts and the races on The Mile. I reckon we'd much rather be burdened with face mask's than not have a fair at all, like last year, so I'm not complainin' too much.

Hope you and all your loved ones are doing well in your part of the world, as well.

Barbecueboy
08-13-2021, 04:42 PM
Can't get the "reply with quote" option to work, BBQ.

We're doing well here in The Land O' Lincoln & crooked politicians. At least so far. One of the biggest racing weekends of the season outside of the PDC here in Illinois is coming up soon and the genius's in chitcago are beginning to lock things down just a bit. We're going to have to wear face coverings in the grandstands at the Illinois State Fair this year for all the concerts and the races on The Mile. I reckon we'd much rather be burdened with face mask's than not have a fair at all, like last year, so I'm not complainin' too much.

Hope you and all your loved ones are doing well in your part of the world, as well.

A bunch of warm wind and heat lightning down here in the land of transplants….:)

Other than that, all pretty good with the family and friends……we don’t have anyone in that less than 1 % club yet, hoping our common sense and pragmatic approach to all of this continues to serve us well in that regard.

Face masks don’t bother me, I wear them when required…..I view them like I do speed limit signs in regards of effectiveness….yeah, they help but no they aren’t the single answer.

Mod Runner
08-14-2021, 02:21 AM
I have no objection to wearing a face mask at a dirt track race. The face mask is good for protecting one from inhaling all that dust at a dusty track. The only problem I have with the face mask is that I forget I have it on and will try to stick a ketchup covered French fry into my mouth before I remove the mask.