PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question

hoodpin
08-14-2021, 09:24 AM
Ive noticed Devin Moran, Kyle Bronson, Tony Jackson, and now Mike Marlar running metal wheel covers on the left rear with a big hole in the center. Is there any particular reason they run them on the left rear only? I know, probably a dumb question, but just wondered.
Tks

Raceready
08-14-2021, 01:02 PM
" There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers" ! !

Morgs153
08-14-2021, 02:08 PM
Okay, I'll take a stab at dumb answer. Now mind you, this is only a guess.

There isn't much need for covers on the left side as much as the right if you are thinking of mud. Often the only thing you need to protect is not getting a valve stem knocked off from close contact with another car on your inside and having a flat ruin your run. It has happened where a car on the inside poked a nose lip into a wheel and gave someone a flat. Another thing about the left rear is that when you are really up on the bars and especially turning, the rear steer crawls that left rear under your own bodywork.

Could be, maybe, kinda sorta, sorta kinda....

Jking24
08-15-2021, 08:53 AM
" There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers" ! !Not true their are no dumb questions. Theirs dumb people who ask questions lol. But seriously their are two main reasons for a lr wheel cover with a hole besides the basic keeping mud out .Protecting the valve stem is one and letting heat out is the other. Same reason you'll see guys run a louvered rr or one with multiple small holes

Josh Bayko
08-15-2021, 09:10 AM
When wheel covers have holes in em, it’s usually a way to manipulate how much heat the tire has.

jb20
08-15-2021, 01:41 PM
I can't help but wonder if this new trend has something to do with trying to preserve tires due to the current shortage of new ones. It also just might be a monkey see, monkey do kinda thing.

NeedforLM$peed
08-15-2021, 03:06 PM
I saw others using covers on the left side but not what he is specifically referring to

backspace
08-16-2021, 11:54 AM
We run a LR cover to keep heat in tire on cool nights