PDA

View Full Version : Cade Dillard drops off WOO Late Model Series due to daughters 1st day of school.

HoosierDirtFan
08-18-2021, 01:30 PM
Cade Dillard drops off WOO Late Model Series due to daughters 1st day of school.

Good for him putting family first.

Copied from his Facebook page.

This was not an easy decision for me to make. Anyone who knows me knows how seriously I take my job title of “Dad”. Thursday is my daughters very first day of school which is also a WOO race in Pennsylvania. I tried hard to come up with a solution with WOO to be able to miss one race (and to not receive any points) but, if I did miss one by their rules, I wouldn’t receive any point money at the end of the year because my situation to miss doesn’t apply.. There’s moments once you miss them you can’t get them back and being there to bring my daughter to her first day of school happens to be one of those moments I don’t want to look back and regret missing when I could have made a way to be there. With that being said Shane Sprinkle and I have discussed it and decided to drop off of WOO for the year and finish the year racing the big races we want to attend. This weekend that happens to be the Topless 100 in Batesville Arkansas. Thanks to all my great fans who support us every week.
Nathan Stephens: Hobart (Northwest), Indiana.

NeedforLM$peed
08-18-2021, 01:37 PM
I think it's possible that atleast 3 of the 4 will be rained out anyway

Pennsboro32
08-18-2021, 01:38 PM
So they're down to 8.

NeedforLM$peed
08-18-2021, 01:59 PM
So they're down to 8.

Regardless they could've cut the championship check and handed out the trophy over a month ago

84wedge
08-18-2021, 02:06 PM
So they're down to 8.And the shallowest DLM tour in the world just got shallower.

MRM
08-18-2021, 02:09 PM
Regardless they could've cut the championship check and handed out the trophy over a month ago

First of the year.

Glad to see someone put family first. Good for him.

Pennsboro32
08-18-2021, 02:11 PM
Not to trash WoO but they really are a step behind Lucas in almost every aspect of being a national tour.

I would like to see them up their game a little next season, and hope a few big names come on board. They really need a few guys like (Moran, Fergy, Overton, etc). Not that I'm suggesting those guys to run WoO because Moran and Overton are having good seasons running pick and choose, but they need some names to add to their roster.

I would like to see them increase their purses to the same size as normal Lucas races.

NeedforLM$peed
08-18-2021, 02:11 PM
First of the year.

I wouldn't say that early. They weren't very good then. They are slightly better now though. I thought Madden officially joining would challenge them but he's run pretty dismal since May when he won 3 in a row.

84wedge
08-18-2021, 02:17 PM
Dillard has two wins with WoO and has only made a little less than $4000 more than Jimmy Owens has on Lucas Oil with no wins.

buckeyebandit7
08-18-2021, 02:36 PM
Back to the topic of the post….(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), things get hijacked quickly.

I applaud him for this move. Time with your children is a precious commodity that can’t be recouped down the road. He’s not going to get to the end of his life and say, “I sure do wish I’d have been in Pennsylvania in August 2021.” He will, however, value forever watching his baby girl walk into school for the first.

Kudos, Cade……

TBSprintFan
08-18-2021, 02:43 PM
Nice move by Cade Dillard to put family first, maybe Lucas Oil will have a new rookie next year ?

NeedforLM$peed
08-18-2021, 02:44 PM
Where did it go off topic?

50Dixon50
08-18-2021, 03:40 PM
So if a driver/team misses ONE race they don't get any points money am I understanding this right if so that is the stupidest I've ever heard

NeedforLM$peed
08-18-2021, 03:44 PM
So if a driver/team misses ONE race they don't get any points money am I understanding this right if so that is the stupidest I've ever heard

Cade's decision doesn't fall into the matter of it being a hardship situation like when he missed a few events a month or so back because of being in the hospital.

TerryM
08-18-2021, 04:46 PM
We’ve all taken time off work for stuff with our children. The difference obviously being we get paid regardless, while Cade Dillard is having money stolen from him. Money he’s already earned. I understand the reasoning for WOO’s policy. If you allow one driver a break, then you have to allow all your drivers a break. What if four drivers need the same weekend off? Some drivers may not even have kids, while some have multiple children. Then there other things that pop up, that may not even involve your kids. Where do they draw the line? I’m guessing this will result in a change to the WOO rule book. Maybe even immediately. It’s also resulted in Cade Dillard moving way up my favorite drivers list. Kudos, young man.

Bforwarned
08-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Cade needs to get some new shirt made that says Family First. He may just sell a ton of them. Kudo's to him.

kidrock
08-18-2021, 05:51 PM
It wasn't like I didn't hve respect for him before this but, this just reminded me why I do.

I love it family first. You just can't go wrong when it comes to your kids and putting them first.

champion24
08-18-2021, 05:53 PM
I'm a little torn on this one, I have to say that first. Kinda stinks on Woo's end to seem so "hard and unwilling to bend" but also rules are rules. Do they really care about $30-40k at the end of the year? When they spend $500k, I hardly doubt it. Just my opinion. The rank and file workers all across the country or world miss things (family, vacations, or otherwise) because of many reasons. If you ask to get off the week before, you are far less likely than months in advance. We all make the decision to work and get paid, or not to work and not to get paid. It just so happens that Cade has a high profile job, that many of us would love to have verse the everyday assembly line worker that many of us wouldn't want to do. Congrats to the Dillard family ultimately, for staying united for special events. I do believe Madden has used the family excuse a time or two when it helps his case!

COKEandaSMILE
08-18-2021, 06:03 PM
TerryM
I get where you're going with your post, but there's a couple things you mentioned that aren't accurate from my perspective.

The first being that, paraphrasing, we get paid for taking off work for stuff with our kids. There's a large segment of the population where that simply isn't true. Consider yourself fortunate if you have that benefit.

The second, unless their rules changed, every driver should've been aware of the consequences of this type of circumstance. I don't see it as " having money stolen".

It certainly shines a negative light on WoO, especially with how Cade expressed his perspective. I wouldn't be surprised for a rule change as you mentioned.

50Dixon50
08-18-2021, 06:10 PM
I would say next year don't go woo come on over to Lucus oil LatemodelDirt Series

NeedforLM$peed
08-18-2021, 06:13 PM
I would say next year don't go woo come on over to Lucus oil LatemodelDirt Series

Doesn't mean they would make an exception either...

zyoung25
08-18-2021, 06:38 PM
WoO let Jason Sides and James McFadden miss several races this year already. Mcfaddens deal is somewhat understandable. Sides took a whole month off because someone rearended his hauler and the WoO didn't care to keep him on the payroll. Something doesn't add up there? The guy wanted one weekend off to be with his kid. The WoO needs Cade more than he needs the WoO.

Even if the sprints and late models are ran by 2 different groups, it still doesn't make it right that they're both under the WRG banner and don't get treated equally. Someone needs to straighten that up.

Josh Bayko
08-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Things like this tend to remind drivers that following a tour isn’t the be all end all in dirt late model racing, especially when you have a family.

HoosierDirtFan
08-18-2021, 06:45 PM
WoO let Jason Sides and James McFadden miss several races this year already. Mcfaddens deal is somewhat understandable. Sides took a whole month off because someone rearended his hauler and the WoO didn't care to keep him on the payroll. Something doesn't add up there? The guy wanted one weekend off to be with his kid. The WoO needs Cade more than he needs the WoO.

Sides accident was just that and wasn't any fault of his. I totally understand Cade's situation but there was nothing wrong with him nor his wife or a close relative in the hospital, hauler wasn't broke, & no funeral to attend. When it comes down to it this was his choice and I applaud him for putting family first. I think you have to understand both sides of the situation. Could he have made it there yes. Did he choose to go no.
Now down the road WOO could add some provisions and have those listed under the hardship rules going forward.
To me the championship money thing is stupid. I think he should still get paid for his points finishing position.
Davenport missed a few races in Lucas because he chose to race at Bristol instead of Atomic & Brownstown.

TerryM
08-18-2021, 06:47 PM
TerryM
I get where you're going with your post, but there's a couple things you mentioned that aren't accurate from my perspective.

The first being that, paraphrasing, we get paid for taking off work for stuff with our kids. There's a large segment of the population where that simply isn't true. Consider yourself fortunate if you have that benefit.

The second, unless their rules changed, every driver should've been aware of the consequences of this type of circumstance. I don't see it as " having money stolen".

It certainly shines a negative light on WoO, especially with how Cade expressed his perspective. I wouldn't be surprised for a rule change as you mentioned.
I understand everyone’s employment situation is different, but a lot of places now allow you to accrue time immediately, so that you have a paid day built up every six weeks. But again, I know everyone’s not in the same situation. As for the money stolen part, he’s earned his spot in the points. To take that away from him for missing one race, just seems extremely harsh.

Pennsboro32
08-18-2021, 06:56 PM
Sides accident was just that and wasn't any fault of his. I totally understand Cade's situation but there was nothing wrong with him nor his wife or a close relative in the hospital, hauler wasn't broke, & no funeral to attend. When it comes down to it this was his choice and I applaud him for putting family first. I think you have to understand both sides of the situation. Could he have made it there yes. Did he choose to go no.
Now down the road WOO could add some provisions and have those listed under the hardship rules going forward.
To me the championship money thing is stupid. I think he should still get paid for his points finishing position.
Davenport missed a few races in Lucas because he chose to race at Bristol instead of Atomic & Brownstown.

Davenport hasn’t missed a race. He was at atomic, and he gets to run at brownstown in September’s re scheduled race.

zyoung25
08-18-2021, 07:15 PM

Them not having a hauler is a poor excuse. You can't tell me if they really wanted to race, they wouldn't have leased, rented, or borrowed one. I can see giving them a pass for a weekend, not a month.

B_K
08-18-2021, 08:06 PM
Good on you 97.

The best thing in life I’ll ever be called is dad. That paycheck helps provide for them, but what they need most doesn’t come with a price tag.

Enjoy the walk in. It’s an honor every time.

Dlmfan123
08-18-2021, 09:11 PM
WoO let Jason Sides and James McFadden miss several races this year already. Mcfaddens deal is somewhat understandable. Sides took a whole month off because someone rearended his hauler and the WoO didn't care to keep him on the payroll. Something doesn't add up there? The guy wanted one weekend off to be with his kid. The WoO needs Cade more than he needs the WoO.Even if the sprints and late models are ran by 2 different groups, it still doesn't make it right that they're both under the WRG banner and don't get treated equally. Someone needs to straighten that up.He didn't even want the weekend off. He just wanted Thursday night. But they know there barely gonna get enough cars tor a full field so they shafted him.

waaac77
08-18-2021, 09:13 PM
Anyone know what the Lucas rule is on this? They can take time off whenever they want?

fryefan
08-18-2021, 09:29 PM
Nice to see Cade put his family 1st.

Dlmfan123
08-18-2021, 09:34 PM
Anyone know what the Lucas rule is on this? They can take time off whenever they want? To get points fun money you only have to be at 75% of races I believe

NeedforLM$peed
08-18-2021, 09:41 PM
Unless they changed it it's 80%.

A.) If a driver that is in the top twelve (12) in point standings misses any event(s), that driver must
make-up total number of missed event(s) before driver is eligible once again for winners circle money

WisWildManFan
08-18-2021, 09:59 PM
I’m pretty sure davenport does not get to race at brownstown

NeedforLM$peed
08-18-2021, 10:06 PM
He has the date on his schedule.

WisWildManFan
08-18-2021, 10:12 PM
Whichever day of that 3 day show is the makeup I don’t think they are letting him run. Otherwise you let that happen and every time your tour has an extremely unfavorable forecast guys would quit showing.

Pennsboro32
08-19-2021, 05:21 AM
I’m fairly certain I read an article on DirtonDirt that JD was going to be able to run the Lucas make up event.

pushin cushin
08-19-2021, 05:30 AM
I understand rules are rules, but in situations like this, I believe WoO should have the top 10 (or 8 or how many are committed to the series) vote on it. Cade’s been loyal to WoO for awhile now. I know wasn’t happy that the WoO opened the season in Florida forcing him to miss the Wild West Shootout.

Josh Bayko
08-19-2021, 05:34 AM
Technically Davenport could just use a provisional for Brownstown.

dirtcrazy4u
08-19-2021, 05:39 AM
Family is your first priority, daddy. That is the word that will always touch your heart. WRG, bone heads again.

jb20
08-19-2021, 06:28 AM
JD absolutely gets to run Brownstown. I'm pretty sure it was on Rigsby's podcast that Schwallie talked about it. They initially told him he couldn't but JD pointed out that they weren't following their own rule.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-19-2021, 06:32 AM
Pennsboro32,

Yes, I'm pretty sure I read Davenport can run too. I'm unsure how that is allowed within the rules, but of course they want him back on tour for interest.

riddle28
08-19-2021, 06:38 AM
ive always been a cade fan and this made me like him more. WoO will always be backseat to lucas for multiple reasons

kazual
08-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Watching Dillard come up through the modified ranks always thought him to be a classy person. Clean driver, humble, and not braggadocio kind. Saying that there could be other factors that aren’t evident from the outside. Financial resources, return on investment, family dynamics, etc. For you folks that get the zoomies around conspiracy theories he isn’t in a Rocket, so there’s that :).

zach51
08-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Firstly, I think he made the right decision (not that what I think matters), for multiple reason, mainly being for his daughter. Also a big consideration would be whether you want to drive 6 hours to Batesville to run for 5k, 5k, 40k over 3 days or drive 20+ hours to NY/PA to run for 10k, 10k, 10k, 10k over 4 days, and considering possible rainouts.

He is 6th in points, which if he stays there would pay $24K at the end of the season. If he picks and chooses around the south and midwest for the rest of the summer/fall, he could easily make all that back up quickly whilst being much closer to home and getting to go where he wants to go.

However, I DO think that if he really wanted to stay committed to the tour (which I wouldn't), it wouldn't be impossible to get a plane ticket, even with a stop from LA to NY and be able to get to the race track, but maybe not.

Either way, I dang sure wouldn't drive 15+ hours PAST Batesville to go to NY and PA.

Good luck in Batesville!

cgrace
08-19-2021, 09:40 AM
I respect him for his decision. I find fault in WOO not paying drivers what they've earned. If the points payout goes to however many positions -- those drivers should be paid regardless. Just my point of view -- I wasn't there for my son's first days of school due to work. My Dad wasn't there due to being in the military, honestly as a kid -- I didn't care. Other professionals in sports may miss the first day of school or other major events. Just like missing a race isn't the end of the world, equally, missing the first day of school isn't. Many parents across the country miss the first day of school due to work commitments. Cade is fortunate that his career allows him to make the decision he wants and he can go racing elsewhere.

dirty-white-boy
08-19-2021, 11:53 AM
Way to stand up for what you believe in! He made me a fan!

I just ordered a shirt off his website and I encourage all you other keyboard jockeys to do the same thing! Help the boy make up some of that WOO point fund money he wont get!

Action10
08-19-2021, 04:59 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying about points funds, but almost every series has a percentage that a driver must attend to receive the money. It is in every series rule book and available for everyone to read.

NeedforLM$peed
08-19-2021, 06:40 PM
WoO will always be backseat to lucas for multiple reasons

What makes you so sure Lucas oil would make an exception? Do you know how Lucas Oil handles these circumstances?

klemmabyna
08-19-2021, 07:17 PM
we all make decisions based on what we believe what is best. WoO makes their rules. Racers decide how to proceed with their circumstances. and then get called cherry pickers!!!

best wishes to Cade. he can drive!

Saw him win USMTS race at my hometown track when my racebuddy Dad, who was in the hospital at the time, said you aren't sitting around here when there is a race down the street.

JimBo
08-19-2021, 08:56 PM
Good for Cade, he did the right thing. I have been fortunate enough to have a job where I could take off, without pay, for important family events. WOO messed up on this decision.

Highside Hustler25
08-20-2021, 10:44 AM

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏!!!!!!

Barbecueboy
08-20-2021, 03:38 PM
What makes you so sure Lucas oil would make an exception? Do you know how Lucas Oil handles these circumstances?
Their rules are a little different and seem to be more realistic and somewhat more flexible.

obamaracing#1
08-20-2021, 05:17 PM
some of you need to turn in your man card. I don't recall any dads growing up worrying about a school day, you know they were busy working their as5es off.

ZERO25
08-20-2021, 05:30 PM
some of you need to turn in your man card. I don't recall any dads growing up worrying about a school day, you know they were busy working their as5es off.

Well said.......as a father of two, theres a fine line. But the most important is taking care of them, (home, food, medical, education), which takes ......MONEY!

TerryM
08-20-2021, 05:40 PM
I went in two hours late so I could take my son to his first day of school. Did the same with my daughter a few years later. Didn’t cost me or my family a dime. And you wouldn’t question my man card in person, so stop pretending you’re a badass on here.

TerryM
08-20-2021, 06:04 PM
Terry you never had a man card to show lol. Weak attempt to sound tough there tm... 
Unlike you, I don’t hide.

Big Daddy 37
08-20-2021, 06:50 PM
It was more than a decade ago, but...

When i/we booked the WoO Late Models at our track, we knew which drivers had signed contracts, and we knew who was contracted to compete at our track...

We would have been very upset and let down, had we paid in advance for the drivers we were promised (and advertised) and those drivers skipped our event.

I am a dad as well, so I certainly understand the family/life/work dilemmas... Kudos for that.

But, contracts are signed for a reason. Each contracted team gets $500 for each event, to justify some of the travel and expenses in running a tour.

The tracks hosting the WoO events this weekend, also have the right to be ticked off. They are getting 1/9th less than the product they already paid for.

Every team knows the contracts and the rules they are to follow.... Break them, and don't get paid. Seems pretty simple.

Josh Bayko
08-20-2021, 07:45 PM
You're all hiding behind a screen name... lol some dam morris!!!

I mean, I’m not.

champion24
08-20-2021, 08:15 PM
So Cade is at the Topless with "Family First" on his spoiler!!

klemmabyna
08-20-2021, 08:25 PM

maybe you're just not that great of parent?

Raceready
08-20-2021, 10:28 PM
You're all hiding behind a screen name... lol some dam morris!!!Those birty dirds ! !

Barbecueboy
08-20-2021, 11:38 PM
maybe you're just not that great of parent?

I didn’t really want to go there or say it, but I did think it….not gonna lie.

No beef at all with what he did, it’s a story he will share with his daughter and granddaughter long after he’s done racing.What he may have lost financially will more than be made up for in parent points over the years.

Pennsboro32
08-21-2021, 07:36 AM
You're all hiding behind a screen name... lol some dam morris!!!

I’m easy to find.

Dlmfan123
08-25-2021, 06:09 AM
Just realized this while listening to the dirt reporters podcast on dirtondirt this morning. The race at Orange County just got added to the schedule 2 months ago. I completely forgot about that