PDA

View Full Version : World 100 Thoughts

Late_Model_Mark
09-12-2021, 10:28 AM
Let me preface this by saying I was not at the track so I could obviously not be part of the crowd, feel and hear the sounds, of the unmuffled sweet sounding cars.

Watched all nights on Flo, however I just want to talk about last nights show. Thank you to Flo Racing, what a great service, James Essex, Dustin, Ben and Mike you did a professional and well done show. The camera work was real nice as well as the sound and graphics.

What a great and boisterous crowd that jammed the joint. The I love Eldora thing was outstanding, well done.

The opening ceremonies were also well done, respectful, moving, and classy. From the airplanes, the horses with flags, and a very well done, not butchered, or making their own Star Spangled Banner, it was great.

The drivers coming out with their state flags, good stuff. The program seemed to be well run, track got pretty good in my view. The pyrotechnics always add flavor and pageantry to the event. Really liked how the heat winners and so on were interviewed right off the scales. The drone footage added to the show.

The driver introductions I thought were well done, did anybody else feel the vibe when Bloomquist got the pole and when he was introduced, ya may not like him, I do, but that gave me the chills the ovation this guy received as one of the best ever in this form of racing.

The yellows that came out during this 100, in the past may have made some groan over the stoppage but in my view it made the race exciting. Dang those cars haul the mail and sound tremendous. Some great charges in the B and feature from the back.

Was anybody besides myself proud that they are a fan of this track and this form of racing? I was proud to be a Dirt Late Model fan, proud that "our" biggie that had so much interest and done right, a well produced event considering the massive and complex logistics.

Closing, others may dispute this, but I really believe that Eldora Speedway in those cornfields is the premier and undisputed number 1 dirt track......in the world. I have only been to this race once but the memories last a lifetime, just like last night did!

Late Model Mark
Talladega Short Track Announcer

kazual
09-12-2021, 12:27 PM
Good commentary Mark. Never been to Eldora but hard to dispute that it is the best in the land. Maybe not track prep, show management, etc. every single time but on balance nothing compares. Thought the FLO coverage including the special features they filmed in advance were great.

Highside Hustler25
09-12-2021, 12:57 PM
Unbelievable efficiency in the program from start to finish. Some tracks could take some notes.

ride height
09-12-2021, 01:04 PM
Shocked at the lack of old timers for the introductions etc, but other than that....Very well run show. ...ran smooth and kept it rolling. We had a great time

manwplan
09-12-2021, 01:21 PM
Unbelievable efficiency in the program from start to finish. Some tracks could take some notes.

Totally agree!

Port Royal for all the good that goes on there, they sure know how to drag a show out unnecessarily.

zyoung25
09-12-2021, 03:23 PM
Shocked at the lack of old timers for the introductions etc, but other than that....Very well run show. ...ran smooth and kept it rolling. We had a great time

I remember going back to the 25th anny, they had several of the old guys there. I know we have lost several of the guys from the real early days, but it would have been cool to see guys like chub, schlieper, Purvis, Hartman, and mason there again. Purvis said he was coming in the road to eldora video they done.

Billy_the_kid
09-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Had a great time. Weather was perfect. The track conditions were probably the worst part of the whole week. Sat next to some die hard Terbo fans who in my opinion Boo’d Pierce and flipped him off just about every time he drove by were being extra boisterous due to me wearing Pierce swag. Of course I gave it right back to them. We each rooted for our driver and cheered when the other got passed or screwed up. We exchanged beers and had a great time. Some 4m members should take note…live and let live

Billy_the_kid
09-13-2021, 04:55 AM
I'd still have that beer with ya, russ... 落For the record, I’m not Russ and I’d never have a beer with you. You are a cancer sir. A pathetic excuse for a human. Take the hint, you are a tool that belongs in a shed.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-13-2021, 12:02 PM
So does this mean no beer, russ ? ? I’m pretty sure not even coffee.:)

chupp n bloomer fan
09-13-2021, 12:07 PM
Well said. I have the luxury of being 2 hours SE. Mostly just run I70.

I liked Bobby’s saying too, except the corniness part that he wasn’t old enough to understand the feelings on 9/12. Think he was a toddler.

And the way they direct traffic now, fantastic.

Truly one of the only races I make yearly, and for now I’ll keep going. The electricity is A+.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-13-2021, 12:08 PM
Gotta get my wife to Facebook stalk Jenson Ford and get one of his shirts. Somehow we missed him in the pits, then shirts are bad a$$.

riddle28
09-13-2021, 12:14 PM
Gotta get my wife to Facebook stalk Jenson Ford and get one of his shirts. Somehow we missed him in the pits, then shirts are bad a$$.

i wanted to see him get in. If he hadnt committed to the bottom every race out i think he wouldve saturday

TBSprintFan
09-13-2021, 08:42 PM
The only thing with the World 100 that I cannot understand is the purse, I understand that the winners purse goes up by $1000 a year but after that it $ ucks with the amount of fans they get. If you compare it to the Knoxville Nationals which has maybe just a few thousand more in attendance, the biggest race of the year in late models should pay a lot better.
Knoxville Nationals World 100
5th $21000 $8750
10th $16000 $5000
24th $10000 $3100

Other than that the racing was great except for when the track locked down on Thursday and the broadcast on Flo was excellent.

wfodirt66
09-13-2021, 10:23 PM
track owners know the cars will show up so why pay out more than they want? thats just the way it is unfortunately

Switchback29A1
09-14-2021, 03:36 AM
I know eldora has done complete double file restarts for many years now, but its hard to argue that it makes anything better. Quite a few big wrecks with tons of torn up equipment, not to mention the inconsistency officials made on who did and didnt jump restarts. I noticed on a lot of starts the whole 2nd row got a better start than the 2nd place man. Id trade double file for Delaware double file if it cuts down on all the restart wrecks.

Buford.Justice
09-14-2021, 02:45 PM
Double file restarts creates passing that would not have happened in single file starts. If there are very many restarts a car can literally get to the front by passing a car or two or three every restart.

Also causing other unfornuate cars to lose positions they should not have.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-14-2021, 05:26 PM
I know eldora has done complete double file restarts for many years now, but its hard to argue that it makes anything better. Quite a few big wrecks with tons of torn up equipment, not to mention the inconsistency officials made on who did and didnt jump restarts. I noticed on a lot of starts the whole 2nd row got a better start than the 2nd place man. Id trade double file for Delaware double file if it cuts down on all the restart wrecks.Definitely agree. Do the Delaware restarts. And the 3&4 place guys gotta be gun shy, or they’ll get docked. So instead ya get ran over.

Big Daddy 37
09-14-2021, 07:17 PM
My question: Why did they change the giant globe trophy??

The winning trophies (50&51) did indeed look cool.

But, the traditional giant globe award, is what all the drivers seem to covet.

zyoung25
09-14-2021, 08:17 PM
My question: Why did they change the giant globe trophy??

The winning trophies (50&51) did indeed look cool.

But, the traditional giant globe award, is what all the drivers seem to covet.

The actual globes was replaced in 19. I hated the one in 19, but i liked it more than the ones they gave away this time.

Mod Runner
09-14-2021, 09:27 PM
Its the WORLD 100 ! The trophy should be a globe.

fastford
09-15-2021, 08:38 AM
I have to agree with late model mark , this is defiantly the nicest and best run track i have ever been to , we had a ball , I was proud of my buddy , Jensen Ford for at least winning a heat race friday , and had it not been for a late caution in his heat sat , he might have made it in , any way , I was disappointed in my boy Jimmy O , if you would have told me he would not even make the world , I would have said you were crazy , I talked to his brother and I think there may be issues other than racing right now BUT IDK , any way I am beginning to wander if I am a jink because we all put 20 bucks in the pot and picked a driver , the driver that won or finished the farthest up the picker got the pot , well my man jimmy did not even make it so they let me buy back in , soooo I took ole bloomer being as he was on the poll , he tore out and it looked good , then about 9 laps in , you could hear his engine popping through the turns , they said it was a bad ignition box , oh well , there went another 20 , wild thing is , no one took JD , any way , met some new friends in the camp ground and overall had a great time , also so other than the incident with the security guard , I think the pierce clan behaved pretty well , and I think bobby drove a pretty clean race , this is my take ......

TS FAN
09-15-2021, 12:43 PM
Great week. What are they going to do for an encore next year. Everyone is spoiled with two big shows. Tony might come up with something surprising, hope he does

Burke1118
09-15-2021, 02:09 PM
Agree with everything OP! That place is no doubt the best. The only gripe I had is that they water the pits non stop all night for no reason. I slipped on the wet slime and kinda f&$ked my ankle up (fine now) and saw another guy slip as well. I guess its to keep the dust down, but the pits are paved........ Cant wait til next year!

TDRacin®
09-15-2021, 02:34 PM
Eldora just released some cool info behind the new trophies-

"Some of you noticed the new generation World 100 trophy presented last weekend and have asked about the changes. As you can see in the accompanying photos there have been several tweaks to the famed globed trophy throughout the event's history. In fact, the trophy presented for the first two years of the World 100 did not have a globe on them.
In 2018, as the quality of trophy components lessened and with the 50th World 100 on the horizon, owner Tony Stewart tasked the Eldora team with developing trophies which could only be earned, not duplicated by any other speedway or trophy shop, and not counterfeited and sold online as souvenirs. The trophy had to pay homage to the event and its history, comprise memorable elements of previous generations of the trophy, while also modernizing the overall look and feel so it can be used as the official World 100 trophy for years to come.
GOLDEN GLOBE GENERATION WORLD 100 TROPHY:
* The globe returns back to the top of the trophy in the new version. The 50th received an extra bit of flair with a golden globe.
* Like Atlas, the Titan from Greek mythology who held above him the heavens and the sky, the names of the previous Champions of the race adorn the uprights of each side of the trophy.
* We honor Earl Baltes, the creator of the event, with a special plaque and quote at the trophy base, for the vision that are the roots of this great event.
WORLD 100 GLOBED TROPHY STATS:
* The trophy now stands 60" tall and weighs over 60 pounds.
* It was handcrafted locally in nearby Celina, Ohio.
* The wood on the trophy is from a poplar tree here on the property.
* Fine clay powder from the track surface was mixed into the gold base coat.
* Each of the World 100 trophies presented cost in excess of $6,000."