PDA

View Full Version : Top Heavy Purses and Streaming

cgrace
09-20-2021, 12:13 PM
Promoters and tracks, please spread out the purses and payouts more if you want to keep our sport going. Most of the payouts only award the winner -- I'm glad they are paid well. BUT, instead of adding $10K or $5K to the top, start spreading it out more. Also, I am curious does anyone know how much tracks make on streaming the major events? If so, is there thought on upping the payout throughout the entire late model field? Paying $1500 to start a $20K races seems fair. The days of $500 start money should be long gone for a $20 race.If the winner receives $20k what do others think the purse should be?

Action10
09-20-2021, 12:24 PM
I would like to see races pay 10% of the winners share to start. A $10,000 to win race would pay $1,000 to start and. $20,000 to win race would pay $2,000 to start.

sa98
09-20-2021, 02:08 PM
The payout for the crate race in Louisiana this weekend is actually painful to look at. On top of a $250 entry fee and $115 per pit pass.

MRM
09-20-2021, 02:13 PM
Also, I am curious does anyone know how much tracks make on streaming the major events?

Little to nothing unless they have their own deal.

dirtcrazy4u
09-20-2021, 02:53 PM
The payout for the crate race in Louisiana this weekend is actually painful to look at. On top of a $250 entry fee and $115 per pit pass.

If there stupid enough to show up for a deal like that. I say O well, these crate sanctions, are making money, a lot of money. All I ever hear about is how affordable the racing is. Horse turds

cgrace
09-20-2021, 05:47 PM
I would like to see races pay 10% of the winners share to start. A $10,000 to win race would pay $1,000 to start and. $20,000 to win race would pay $2,000 to start.That makes a great deal of sense and helps distribute dollars throughout the field, keeping plenty of teams going.

play4kps
09-20-2021, 05:57 PM
Here is the payout for the dream this year! top heavy is an understatement!
Saturday feature

1. $126,000
2. $20,000
3. $12,500
4. $10,000
5. $8,750
6. $7,500
7. $6,500
8. $6,000
9. $5,500
10. $5,000
11. $4,000
12. $3,000

mskdorf
09-21-2021, 06:08 PM
^^ that would be $12,600 to start. Wouldn’t that be something?

Josh Bayko
09-21-2021, 06:13 PM
The Dream has always been super top heavy. Acting like this is some revelation is retarded.

dirtcrazy4u
09-22-2021, 06:08 AM
Most of your major races are top heavy, it is what brings your top tier teams to compete. It has fallen off, but the only race out there that could cut there purse or spread it out would be the world 100. There is no other race that has the prestige of winning the globe, none.

waaac77
09-22-2021, 07:14 AM
What I’ve heard is the tracks get $0 from ppv money which I find very hard to believe. If these tracks are putting on the show and DirtVision/Flo/Mav come in and tapes it and makes tons of money I gotta think the track would get some kickback if not the majority of the proceeds from the ppv monies

TDRacin®
09-22-2021, 07:33 AM
I find it hard to believe too, but I've only ever seen it mentioned from non-streamer/non-promoters.

MRM
09-22-2021, 09:08 AM
That's the thing with the streaming deals. It's the track's event and the track's money on the line if some fans decide not to show up and watch it at home. Yet, the series mandate the streaming whether you want it or not, and the track get very little to nothing out of it. Seems kind of backwards.

MotoMatt
09-22-2021, 10:09 AM
I'd sure as he11 rather see top heavy purses than what happens in big drag racing bracket events now...they pool the top 8 or so on the side and the track pays an even share to them rather than a winner purse...now, this only happens if all of them agree and one person not wanting to split the pot ruins it.

Had a race up here this summer the other guys were all bu77 hurt that the guy that won didn't want to split and now he's black balled a bit but I thought it was great!

EvelB7
09-22-2021, 11:13 AM
As racing turns into more 'entertainment' than actual sport you will see the 'purse splitting' come into play....Problem has always been finding a way to get the guy who finishes last to show up, the winner always seems to be there! Not saying I agree, look what NASCAR is doing-purse money means nothing to them it is all about the other $$$ they bring in.

dirty-white-boy
09-22-2021, 12:01 PM
The Dream has always been super top heavy. Acting like this is some revelation is retarded.

Hey my nephew is a retard be nice!

Dolly Parton payouts have always been a thing in the dirt late model world!

It sounds cooler to say you are paying $175k to win than it says $75k to win and $4 to start I guess

It sure would make racing more sustainable for these guys but we have been saying this for years!

jr29
09-22-2021, 12:44 PM
I believe I-80 paid more to start this year at the Silver Dollar Nationals than any DLM race ever and they got around 45 cars and around 1/3 of those were semi-local. Maybe the best purse ever and they get 45 cars. After that I am not gonna pay attention to drivers complaining about purses.

kazual
09-22-2021, 01:03 PM
Seems improbable that promoters don’t get any revenue from a streaming service that originates from their facility. Why would they agree to such an arrangement? Have you ever chosen to not attend a race that you could see on streaming? I have.

Josh Bayko
09-22-2021, 01:18 PM
Hey my nephew is a retard be nice!

Dolly Parton payouts have always been a thing in the dirt late model world!

It sounds cooler to say you are paying $175k to win than it says $75k to win and $4 to start I guess

It sure would make racing more sustainable for these guys but we have been saying this for years!

I would never refer to a person with developmental disabilities as a retard.

dirty-white-boy
09-22-2021, 02:09 PM
I would never refer to a person with developmental disabilities as a retard.

very offensive!!!

TDRacin®
09-22-2021, 07:53 PM
I believe I-80 paid more to start this year at the Silver Dollar Nationals than any DLM race ever and they got around 45 cars and around 1/3 of those were semi-local. Maybe the best purse ever and they get 45 cars. After that I am not gonna pay attention to drivers complaining about purses.

And that's key imo. Unless you're the owner/driver, why do you care how much it pays to start? Do you honestly believe anyone with a shot at winning won't be there because of what it pays to start? There are less cars at major events because there are less LM's out there running. You can thank costs and crates.

The Chili Bowl is a perfect example of wtf do fans care? The event pays a whopping $10k to win and is the greatest racing event of the year! Yet fans are questioning the purses. lol

I know some people have a hardon for large fields, but anymore that is nothing but a waste of time (and more ridiculous cautions).

dirtcrazy4u
09-22-2021, 08:47 PM
DWB. I've been in agreement with some of your comments lately, but I gotta tell you, calling anyone something like that is below low. Get some class, there was no reason for it.

T-MAC 39 FAN
09-22-2021, 09:52 PM
"Mentally challenged" would be the correct words. I like retard but that was ok 40 some yrs ago. Times change

waaac77
09-22-2021, 09:53 PM
Is handicapped ok to say? I can’t keep up. I must have no class as well

Switchback29A1
09-23-2021, 03:42 AM
I-80 did a great thing this year, but a few key factors hurt them. 1st was the hard tire rule they were on, its hard for some guys who have never seen the place or been on 55's to drive all the way to nebraska just in hopes of making it for the improved start money. Also kind of hard for non lucas guys to justify going out there if they dont stop at wheatland on the way, which means youre gone for over a full week. Not a ton of non touring guys have the crew that can do that. Also who knows how many guys only have 1 car, 1 motor, 1 rearend, etc because covid has parts backed up so they cant finish something to complete their 2nd car. Long way to go with no spare something.

jr29
09-23-2021, 05:44 AM
TDRacin.....when did I say I cared what the pay is ?
I've heard about top heavy pay forever, particularly from drivers. After I-80 that talk rings pretty hollow.
Race car driver are like truck drivers, they love to complain.

Action10
09-23-2021, 12:16 PM
TDRacin.....when did I say I cared what the pay is ? I've heard about top heavy pay forever, particularly from drivers. After I-80 that talk rings pretty hollow. Race car driver are like truck drivers, they love to complain.You aren't understanding that location and timing hurt the car count at I-80. Why travel all the way out there when you can race several nights with the SN and have a third of the travel expenses as a week at I-80? It isn't always the money you bring in, it is how much you spend and/or save to bring in that money.

jr29
09-23-2021, 01:58 PM
You aren't understanding that location and timing hurt the car count at I-80. Why travel all the way out there when you can race several nights with the SN and have a third of the travel expenses as a week at I-80? It isn't always the money you bring in, it is how much you spend and/or save to bring in that money.

I do understand. If it had been a good purse I wouldn't have much of an argument. It was the best purse ever though. Read the DOD articles about the event, Joe Kosiski seemed disappointed too.
Ross Robinson towed out there from Delaware. Matt Cosner did from West Virginia. There are a lot of super late models closer to Greenwood, Nebraska than those two and very, very few went.

They had 44 or 45 cars and that is plenty for me. I'm just done paying attention when these guys complain about payouts though. They had their chance to back up their talk and very few did.

TDRacin®
09-23-2021, 03:56 PM
TDRacin.....when did I say I cared what the pay is ?
I've heard about top heavy pay forever, particularly from drivers. After I-80 that talk rings pretty hollow.
Race car driver are like truck drivers, they love to complain.

Sorry, I wasn't speaking to you directly. I was calling out the fans who complain about purses for the races. We are in agreement about it.

3 wide
09-23-2021, 04:31 PM
I would like to see races pay 10% of the winners share to start. A $10,000 to win race would pay $1,000 to start and. $20,000 to win race would pay $2,000 to start.That is the way it should be but getting them there is something else.

Action10
09-23-2021, 05:46 PM
I do understand. If it had been a good purse I wouldn't have much of an argument. It was the best purse ever though. Read the DOD articles about the event, Joe Kosiski seemed disappointed too.Ross Robinson towed out there from Delaware. Matt Cosner did from West Virginia. There are a lot of super late models closer to Greenwood, Nebraska than those two and very, very few went.They had 44 or 45 cars and that is plenty for me. I'm just done paying attention when these guys complain about payouts though. They had their chance to back up their talk and very few did.Valid point... I'm just thinking about some of the guys around my area that didn't go and I think they all did the right thing for them financially. That is what comes to my mind.