PDA

View Full Version : Late Models - Universal Body Rules.....

HoosierDirtFan
12-09-2021, 11:53 PM
Late Models - UniversalBody Rules.....

https://i.imgur.com/2ADWfBm.jpg

NeedforLM$peed
12-10-2021, 12:01 AM
Sounds like Lucas is implementing the droop rule.

https://www.dirtondirt.com/dirtwire.php?id=6693

Josh Bayko
12-10-2021, 05:28 AM
The most interesting thing in all of that is that Hoosier is working on the same tires for everybody. Get ready for UMP tires for literally everybody in 2023.

3 wide
12-10-2021, 06:11 AM
Universal body rules would help everybody an the same tire for everybody would be even better.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-10-2021, 06:34 AM
We had universal body rules 20 years ago. The problem is they weren't enforced and just like government overreach, they now think a droop rule is a body rule.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-10-2021, 06:36 AM
The most interesting thing in all of that is that Hoosier is working on the same tires for everybody. Get ready for UMP tires for literally everybody in 2023.

I can't wait to contribute to UMPs funds with zero benefits. It's gonna be great.

Barbecueboy
12-10-2021, 07:16 AM
Those benefits go into sams Virginia slim fund……..

dirtcrazy4u
12-10-2021, 07:18 AM
Remember Steve Francis coming in and saying changes in these bodies were coming ? Well that never happened because nobody ever followed thru with tech on anything. Be interesting to see what changes they make, I for one think it's going to be minimal at best. There's a lot of new cars being built with 2021 body work. As for Hoosier and tires you know the blame is going to be on raw materials and supply shortage. It may be the only way they can supply the demand.

billetbirdcage
12-10-2021, 08:12 AM
As a whole this is good, no matter what you think of certain parts of the rules. The only issue I see is I wonder how long this will last before someone has the pull to get one sanctioning body to deviate from the others.

Remember the late model COUNCIL? That lasted one whole voting session and that vote was overturned by a single company over outlawing something they had for sell. The council was never heard from again.

zyoung25
12-10-2021, 08:44 AM
The noses i seen yesterday still looked like snow plows. They're already on step ahead 🙄

Paradox28
12-10-2021, 09:55 AM
outside of a guy having to set up for the droop rule in some series, I wasn't aware that a late model couldn't go run anywhere, as they were. So, we're taking the dumbest rule and making everyone do it. I do like the idea of unified tire rules, though..its crazy how many compounds are essentially the same but cant be used because the number is different.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-10-2021, 11:20 AM
outside of a guy having to set up for the droop rule in some series, I wasn't aware that a late model couldn't go run anywhere, as they were. So, we're taking the dumbest rule and making everyone do it. I do like the idea of unified tire rules, though..its crazy how many compounds are essentially the same but cant be used because the number is different.

The tires are a problem. I don't think making everyone buy a junk LM, for more money that goes to Sam Driggers, a fair compromise however.

dirty-white-boy
12-10-2021, 11:22 AM
Late Models - UniversalBody Rules.....

https://i.imgur.com/2ADWfBm.jpg

How did such things get passed without Rocket Chassis in the room, asking for a friend!

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-10-2021, 12:24 PM
How did such things get passed without Rocket Chassis in the room, asking for a friend!

A Rocket was measured ahead of time. It always is. Usually one in my neck of the woods.

zyoung25
12-13-2021, 04:11 PM
It didnt take long for this plan to fall apart

Pennsboro32
12-13-2021, 05:01 PM
One guy wants to be a hero.

JabberJaws83
12-13-2021, 05:36 PM
It didnt take long for this plan to fall apart

What happened???

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-13-2021, 06:45 PM
What happened???

Chris Tilley opted out. I'd say more will follow.

JabberJaws83
12-13-2021, 06:53 PM
Chris Tilley opted out. I'd say more will follow.

You think it’s over the droop?

JabberJaws83
12-13-2021, 07:00 PM
Never mind, I see his post on it now.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-13-2021, 07:12 PM
Never mind, I see his post on it now.

He wasn't doing droop for his shows in 2021, now he is. I know you saw, but just weird.

NeedforLM$peed
12-13-2021, 07:13 PM
Seems as though the only issue is they should've came up with an agreement on a date that changes need to be done by.

zyoung25
12-13-2021, 08:36 PM
They probably shouldve made the rule book for '23 to begin with. Several guys have their cars ready for next year already. I do find it strange the newest rocket cars that we have seen appear to be built to the new body rules that was just released not even a week ago.

Dlmfan123
12-13-2021, 09:05 PM
One guy wants to be a hero.It's hilarious because he was the first one bragging about how happy he was that everybody was working together

NeedforLM$peed
12-13-2021, 09:48 PM
It's hilarious because he was the first one bragging about how happy he was that everybody was working together

Chris Tilley
@tilleyracing
·
Dec 9
After a conference call today, big formal announcement coming for our ENTIRE sport of dirt late model racing. I’m so glad we’re all in agreement. Can’t make everyone happy all the time but being on the same page is a huge start / huge day for our sport.

dirtSLMracing
12-13-2021, 11:13 PM
I'm not a chassis builder.. dont claim to know anything about building a Late Model.. just curious why the right front tire is so far offset. What would happen if the right front was close to inline with the right rear?

Drop Shock
12-13-2021, 11:14 PM
They probably shouldve made the rule book for '23 to begin with. Several guys have their cars ready for next year already. I do find it strange the newest rocket cars that we have seen appear to be built to the new body rules that was just released not even a week ago.

Just like how the droop rule measurement is very close on a standard Rocket, and Longhorn guys have to pull their decks down 3-4 inches….hmmmm

cjsracing
12-14-2021, 11:47 AM
where can you find these universal rules? Going to be finishing up my body next week.

Paradox28
12-14-2021, 12:14 PM
where can you find these universal rules? Going to be finishing up my body next week.I don't think anyone but the elite really know right now. Tilleys assumption is that bodies on cars already fit the new rules most of the time.All in all, I look for these body rules to be enforced in Florida and as April comes around..stuff starts to slide.

dirty-white-boy
12-14-2021, 12:42 PM

Making rules and enforcing the rules are 2 different things. That is what got the cars to where they are now is the lack of enforcement and racers pushing the limits knowing so.

Was XR in this meeting as well?

JabberJaws83
12-14-2021, 01:59 PM
Chris Tilley should work on his purse through the field before anything else

ZERO25
12-14-2021, 05:52 PM
where can you find these universal rules? Going to be finishing up my body next week.

DoD article!

gb81racing
12-14-2021, 07:22 PM
Making rules and enforcing the rules are 2 different things. That is what got the cars to where they are now is the lack of enforcement and racers pushing the limits knowing so.

Was XR in this meeting as well?
XR said they would not be following these new rules

dirtcrazy4u
12-14-2021, 08:01 PM
Who didn't anticipate this ? If it wasn't XR it would have been some other group. XR doesn't have the top racers to back it up. Lucas and WoO hold all the aces. If they can come up with a common set of rules most others will follow.

Mike
12-14-2021, 10:08 PM
The tires are a problem. I don't think making everyone buy a junk LM, for more money that goes to Sam Driggers, a fair compromise however.

How could tires be a problem? I thought Lucas Oil was going to save local racing with their new tires after that bogus cost saving test at Florence Speedway a few years ago.

JabberJaws83
12-15-2021, 06:54 AM
Sounds as if 2023 is going to be a BIG change coming. Which makes sense.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-15-2021, 07:35 AM
How could tires be a problem? I thought Lucas Oil was going to save local racing with their new tires after that bogus cost saving test at Florence Speedway a few years ago.

Those tires were trash and Continental came in and quit making them.

Josh Bayko
12-15-2021, 08:30 AM
Sounds as if 2023 is going to be a BIG change coming. Which makes sense.

Endurance racing is making sweeping changes that cut costs and being the various sanctions together in 2023. They announced it in 2018, giving teams 5 years to retool.

Late model racing would be wise to do the same thing.

Mike
12-15-2021, 11:19 AM
Those tires were trash and Continental came in and quit making them.

Of coarse they were. Just like other current tire rules. It’s not really about saving anyone money it’s about lining the pockets of a few.

ALLDIRT
12-15-2021, 11:58 AM

So the one thing that will save racers a ton of money (TIRES ) set aside until 2023 , But the rule to be enforced immediately , the one that won't save anything will be . And we asked the question about supply and demand . Are you making tires now . No was the answer and that they will be
over $ 200.00 dollars each . Go figure .

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-15-2021, 03:06 PM
So the one thing that will save racers a ton of money (TIRES ) set aside until 2023 , But the rule to be enforced immediately , the one that won't save anything will be . And we asked the question about supply and demand . Are you making tires now . No was the answer and that they will be
over $ 200.00 dollars each . Go figure .

Body rules could save you a lot of money. Remove 800# of downforce and an LS out of a truck could win. That's about a $30k savings. Tires? Don't you buy what you need when you need it? We run our stuff until it's done. Seems like most competition puts new on every night. If it's new, who cares if if you have 5 or 2 kinds to choose from? Either way, you bolted on 4 new ones.

ALLDIRT
12-15-2021, 03:51 PM
Body rules could save you a lot of money. Remove 800# of downforce and an LS out of a truck could win. That's about a $30k savings. Tires? Don't you buy what you need when you need it? We run our stuff until it's done. Seems like most competition puts new on every night. If it's new, who cares if if you have 5 or 2 kinds to choose from? Either way, you bolted on 4 new ones.

At two hundred dollars a tire , it would not be long before it was thirty thousands . I am talking about the three tire rule now . And they say they are not making tires right now , for what ever reason So you can bet they will be in short supply .

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-15-2021, 04:30 PM
At two hundred dollars a tire , it would not be long before it was thirty thousands . I am talking about the three tire rule now . And they say they are not making tires right now , for what ever reason So you can bet they will be in short supply .

I followed you. I don't see how less options saves a dime, if you are gonna run new no matter what.

84wedge
12-15-2021, 06:25 PM
So these new rules are working in Rockets favour?

Mike
12-15-2021, 07:28 PM

Isn’t it amazing a new tire rule has been the one thing that’s going to save the racers a ton of money and save the sport for the last 20 years yet here we are.

The one obvious thing that’s an easy fix nobody wants to touch. They would prefer to reinvent the wheel (or tire rule). Insanity

Barbecueboy
12-15-2021, 08:18 PM
But making open cars follow a tire rule provides so much excitement when the lab declares the winner a week or so later……..yup, insanity for sure.

dirtcrazy4u
12-16-2021, 06:04 AM
So these new rules are working in Rockets favour?

Do you seriously believe that ?

EvelB7
12-16-2021, 06:35 AM
I followed you. I don't see how less options saves a dime, if you are gonna run new no matter what.In my view the tire rule isn't so much about saving money as making things easier on the racer. I wasn't able to run several races this year because I did not have (and was not able to get thanks to the shortage) the correct tire-even though I did have the exact same tire with different markings. Cleaning up the multiple options of the same compound is a huge plus.

50Dixon50
12-16-2021, 06:51 AM
I don't think this will work at all

JabberJaws83
12-16-2021, 07:22 AM
I don't think this will work at all

It can work, and should work, they just need to be smart about it. Come out by end of Spring this year and say here are the body rules for 2023.
I'm not sure what's different than when the wedge was done away with. Rules were made and you couldn't show up and race with a wedge car anymore. If certain people had the balls to begin with and didn't let it get so far outside the rules to begin with, we wouldn't be here.

Raceready
12-16-2021, 09:05 AM
So these new rules are working in Rockets favour?After this season, they need all the help they can get ! ! !

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-16-2021, 11:14 AM
Do you seriously believe that ?

They certainly got a head start on the rules. And they were not skewed as badly. You do the math.

Paradox28
12-16-2021, 01:44 PM
In my view the tire rule isn't so much about saving money as making things easier on the racer. I wasn't able to run several races this year because I did not have (and was not able to get thanks to the shortage) the correct tire-even though I did have the exact same tire with different markings. Cleaning up the multiple options of the same compound is a huge plus.exactly what the tire rule needs to do. It isn't forcing guys to buy more tires..its allowing guys to buy one kind of tires and go race anywhere. It works for other classes...no reason it can't be the same for Late Models.

cjsracing
12-16-2021, 08:22 PM
Ray Cook has a video on youtube showing all the rules and how they will measure them.

Personally I'm not a fan because I think the cars look cool all flared out.

zyoung25
12-16-2021, 08:28 PM
Ray Cook has a video on youtube showing all the rules and how they will measure them.

Dont worry. UMP/DirtCar wont be supporting the new body rules this year either.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-16-2021, 09:05 PM

I'd like them to fit in a regular enclosed trailer. Start pulling some strings and tapes. It isn't as rigid as you might think.

Action10
12-16-2021, 09:17 PM
It can work, and should work, they just need to be smart about it.Being smart about it depends on the lens you are looking through. I am not attaching any names to this, just speaking in general terms... If what is best for the sport isn't necessarily what is best for an individual person or a company, what would be smart of them to do? Should they do what is best for the industry as a whole and possibly make less money and have less success with their business? Would they be better off to make as much money as possible while business is booming, only leading a slow downfall of the sport? I don't know if there is any "correct" answer to that question...

lazyifoto
12-16-2021, 11:03 PM
I have been calling for URR Unified Rules Racing for years. This is a big step in the correct direction. ..the best rules from the best tracks and car building rules that are the same all across this great country of ours.. This will be better for the racers and the tracks...

cjsracing
12-17-2021, 08:50 AM
I'd like them to fit in a regular enclosed trailer. Start pulling some strings and tapes. It isn't as rigid as you might think.

I have a regular enclosed trailer and mine fits in just fine with the right side door and quarter flared out. Other than that the other measurements in Ray's video would have no effect on a car fitting in a trailer.

And if you want to build your body without it flared so it fits in your trailer then go ahead. But those of us who want to give some character to our cars should be allowed to.

dirtSLMracing
12-17-2021, 10:03 AM
I have a regular enclosed trailer and mine fits in just fine with the right side door and quarter flared out. Other than that the other measurements in Ray's video would have no effect on a car fitting in a trailer.

And if you want to build your body without it flared so it fits in your trailer then go ahead. But those of us who want to give some character to our cars should be allowed to.

So why have any rules? I'm sure there are some rules you are for that others are against.

Drop Shock
12-17-2021, 10:39 AM
Having the droop rule AND having a LR deck height rule of 39 inches at ride height is counter productive. Now they are literally forcing everyone to run the same drop. What fun is that?

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-17-2021, 12:15 PM
Having the droop rule AND having a LR deck height rule of 39 inches at ride height is counter productive. Now they are literally forcing everyone to run the same drop. What fun is that?

None at all. It seems having fun isn't important anymore. I guess it could be worse, I could be Bloomer. He might as well retire over this.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-17-2021, 12:16 PM

We struggle. I know there are normal width trailers with a wider opening than ours, but still... We shouldn't be penalize on aero because we don't have a semi trailer.

Josh Bayko
12-17-2021, 12:17 PM
Just move the decks back down to 36”.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-17-2021, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure why it ever changed Josh. I remember a few years back getting a car from CJ, right after that changed. We threw an engine in it and took it racing. Tech guy told us we were 3" low.

Josh Bayko
12-17-2021, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure why it ever changed Josh. I remember a few years back getting a car from CJ, right after that changed. We threw an engine in it and took it racing. Tech guy told us we were 3" low.

There was a firecracker back in like 13 or 14. 17 guys failed deck height after time trials.

It went up to 39 the next year or the year after.

JabberJaws83
12-17-2021, 01:12 PM
There was a firecracker back in like 13 or 14. 17 guys failed deck height after time trials.

It went up to 39 the next year or the year after.

Which is why none of this should be that hard

ALLDIRT
12-17-2021, 02:36 PM
Ten grand in the hand , is better than a Hoosier in the bush .

Josh Bayko
12-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Which is why none of this should be that hard

If everybody would have just stuck to their guns, it’d still be at 36”. The biggest thing would be to get people to tech that aren’t p*ssies.

JabberJaws83
12-17-2021, 10:32 PM
You are 100% correct. Then let’s bring in their buddy to try to police it all

ZERO25
12-18-2021, 10:20 AM
Heres the link to Rays video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l__irGvzAhk