PDA

View Full Version : XR Buys SAS!

johnE
01-17-2022, 11:20 AM
Per DoD, XR has purchased the long running Southern Allstar Series.

I’m unsure what this portends for the future of SLM racing but this continues the trend of increasing investment in the business of dirt racing.

Perhaps we will see the continued acquisition of regional series by those parties seeking to secure broadcast rights for streaming content. Investors are betting that the market for viewers of SLM streaming content still has growth potential. I tend to agree with that position, and innovative marketing needs to drive the search for new subscribers and in person attendees.

Rajflyboy
01-17-2022, 12:05 PM
Wow. I do also agree with your thoughts. I’m glad super late model racing is very strong right now.

BloomerHarvickFan
01-17-2022, 12:23 PM
I agree that the streaming market is huge, and this looks like the direction its heading. I don't think this will hurt attendance very much either.
Personally, I'm going to hit 2 to 3 LOLMDS races and 1 or 2 WoO races per year, whether I have subscribed to their services or not. Having the services just means I get to see the ones I wouldn't normally attend. I've never passed up a potential race that I would have attended to watch on TV.

dirty-white-boy
01-17-2022, 12:27 PM
Just a few more acquisitions to go...

XR Southern Series
XR Mid West Series
XR Atlantic Series

HoosierDirtFan
01-17-2022, 02:06 PM
A thought.

The XR Super Series is the biggest thing to hit dirt racing since Doug Bland and Xtreme. Since it first popped up on the scene I've made the assumption that it was bankrolled by Marcus Smith. I have seen no actual proof of who is behind it, but I am sure plenty of people know. Anyone care to fill in the rest of us who is behind the curtain.

Is this the case or just the biggest thing since the NDRL?

Rajflyboy
01-17-2022, 04:04 PM
A thought.The XR Super Series is the biggest thing to hit dirt racing since Doug Bland and Xtreme. Since it first popped up on the scene I've made the assumption that it was bankrolled by Marcus Smith. I have seen no actual proof of who is behind it, but I am sure plenty of people know. Anyone care to fill in the rest of us who is behind the curtain.Is this the case or just the biggest thing since the NDRL?Very very very good question and yes I assume Marcus is behind it.

jbraun57
01-17-2022, 04:26 PM
A thought.The XR Super Series is the biggest thing to hit dirt racing since Doug Bland and Xtreme. Since it first popped up on the scene I've made the assumption that it was bankrolled by Marcus Smith. I have seen no actual proof of who is behind it, but I am sure plenty of people know. Anyone care to fill in the rest of us who is behind the curtain.Is this the case or just the biggest thing since the NDRL? Hello sir, XR and the XR Super Series has nothing to do with Marcus Smith and SMI outside of hosting races at their facilities. The company is owned entirely by Barry and Jennifer Braun out of Silver Bay, Minnesota with no investors or partners. We have an awesome team of people working behind the scenes to put on these events and work with these regional series and we are looking forward to an awesome 2022. See you guys at the races. Jackson Braun

drich24
01-17-2022, 04:43 PM
At this point I don’t have much interest mainly because without any highlights of races being shared with DOD or via YouTube or anywhere else except by paying for a subscription to XR I have no idea the quality of their racing or broadcasts, etc.

HoosierDirtFan
01-17-2022, 05:25 PM
Hello sir, XR and the XR Super Series has nothing to do with Marcus Smith and SMI outside of hosting races at their facilities. The company is owned entirely by Barry and Jennifer Braun out of Silver Bay, Minnesota with no investors or partners. We have an awesome team of people working behind the scenes to put on these events and work with these regional series and we are looking forward to an awesome 2022. See you guys at the races. Jackson Braun

Well duh, I think we all know who they are owned by.
It was just a thought that someone else present on Facebook and it made a bit of sense to a certain point.

Action10
01-17-2022, 06:36 PM
Just an observation... Seems like they are selling a lot of sizzle right now, but I'm not sure how much steak there is to it. Not trying to be a party-pooper, but this could be a travelling vaudeville show...

Rajflyboy
01-17-2022, 06:51 PM
Just a few more acquisitions to go...XR Southern SeriesXR Mid West SeriesXR Atlantic SeriesAdd Lucas and WOOThat’s scary actually

Rajflyboy
01-17-2022, 06:55 PM
Hello sir, XR and the XR Super Series has nothing to do with Marcus Smith and SMI outside of hosting races at their facilities. The company is owned entirely by Barry and Jennifer Braun out of Silver Bay, Minnesota with no investors or partners. We have an awesome team of people working behind the scenes to put on these events and work with these regional series and we are looking forward to an awesome 2022. See you guys at the races. Jackson BraunThanks for the update. Thanks to the Braun family for investing into SLM racing 👍

knot
01-17-2022, 08:49 PM
I will just have to say goodbye to SAS. $40 a month a little to steep for me.

zyoung25
01-17-2022, 08:58 PM
I will just have to say goodbye to SAS. $40 a month a little to steep for me.

The quality of their shows, seem to be between Mav and dirtvision, and nowhere near as good as Flo's stuff. Everybody trashes Eshelman, but he is 100xs better than the guys that do the XR shows. I dont think I will be sinking another $40 a month into another streaming service for now.

Action10
01-17-2022, 09:47 PM
The quality of their shows, seem to be between Mav and dirtvision, and nowhere near as good as Flo's stuff. Everybody trashes Eshelman, but he is 100xs better than the guys that do the XR shows. I dont think I will be sinking another $40 a month into another streaming service for now.That post is as smooth as cream cheese on a bagel...

Dlmfan123
01-17-2022, 10:33 PM
I was out on xr when they put the post up sh!t talking rigsby and saying they were the first to do something flo did over a year ago.

LM1M
01-17-2022, 11:42 PM
AGREED 100%, love what XR is doing but they need announcers who know late models way better.

Fast Wheels
01-18-2022, 12:33 AM
It’s a race toward bankruptcy or at least a huge tax write off. There is no way all these high payoffs will be financially viable. $50k races are now common place and if a fan misses one, there’s another one to see soon. Not must attend events like rare 50k races used to be.

Super Late Model racing is dying a slow death as car counts continue to plummet. High money on top only feeds few professional teams and does nothing to solve the issue of low car counts.

Mod Runner
01-18-2022, 01:55 AM
Super Late Models may be dying a slow to fast death on the Local Scene , but Nationally there appears to be growth for special events. Late Model Racing has thrived and dipped throughout their history. Too early to sign their death certificate.

HoosierDirtFan
01-18-2022, 03:16 AM
From Barry's Facebook Page.

Barry Braun
6h ·
Lots of great feedback today. I remind myself daily that nothing we do at XR is ground breaking or rocket science. It’s not unsustainable. It is simply a different spin on things. This industry is tired, predictable, and needs a kick in the ass. See you at the races.

dirty-white-boy
01-18-2022, 08:52 AM
While I agree This industry is tired, predictable, and needs a kick in the a$$ but please explain to me how gobbling up many small series and paying 50k to win all the time is the answer? Only a few teams will benefit from the cash at the end of the day. Most of these big shows (XR, Lucas, WoO) will be lucky to draw enough cars to justify a Bmain and weekly racing is even more dead than we know it now.

As a die hard race fan (and I do not feel I am alone here) I feel that I personally dont want/need to invest $100/month into 3 streaming services to be able to watch it all either.

I am all for someone playing the disrupter but what is the end game?

Pennsboro32
01-18-2022, 08:58 AM
While I agree This industry is tired, predictable, and needs a kick in the a$$ but please explain to me how gobbling up many small series and paying 50k to win all the time is the answer? Only a few teams will benefit from the cash at the end of the day. Most of these big shows (XR, Lucas, WoO) will be lucky to draw enough cars to justify a Bmain and weekly racing is even more dead than we know it now.

As a die hard race fan (and I do not feel I am alone here) I feel that I personally dont want/need to invest $100/month into 3 streaming services to be able to watch it all either.

I am all for someone playing the disrupter but what is the end game?

The world is ending. We agree on something. Local racing is all but dead.

zyoung25
01-18-2022, 09:02 AM
There are simply not enough cars out there for this to end well, someone is going to eventually suffer IMO. I dont know who or what will break first, its not 2002 anymore.

I feel like it is going to hurt weekly racing even more. Racers that have the ability, are going to go where the money is. In return, fans are not going to want to pay to get into weekly racing events if there are not quality cars there to watch.

over4T
01-18-2022, 08:34 PM
Got a feeling this will be like the old World Hockey League that was going to outdo the NHL, the various new leagues that were going to make the NFL fail, upstart basketball incarnations to bedevil the NBA, and on and on for different sports, new chain restaurants to kill the McDonald's of that world, etc. etc. etc.

In the long run a few years down the line we'll probably be asking whatever happened to that XR group that was the great new future of dirt racing. Maybe not but I doubt it.

kazual
01-21-2022, 10:59 AM
I don’t get it. See people complaining about driver pay and complaining about the two national touring series not stepping up. So XR has it seems and others have raised their bar accordingly. I don’t know XR from Adam except Dan Robinson which recently joined the company. But several here predicted their would not be a year two of the Bristol XR race but here we are. Time will tell.

Andrews42FAN
01-22-2022, 10:58 AM
How many streaming services can one have? I am not going to subscribe to XR as I have Flo, MAV and Dirtvision. XR would be wise to align with Flo so that they can reach a wider and established based of subscribers.

powerslide
01-25-2022, 11:09 PM
That's like saying Pepsi should merge with Coke.

I think its more like Dr Thunder to Dr Pepper.

JCSullivan00
01-26-2022, 10:55 AM
Interesting part is, is that it appears Flo still has the broadcast rights for a year.

champion24
01-26-2022, 05:07 PM
Hope this helps SAS!