PDA

View Full Version : Distributor - Locked Out or not?

WV_Racin'
04-04-2022, 09:41 AM
Any advantages to locking out a mechanical advance distributor? Just curious.MSD Billet distributor with a 6CT Pro box in a dirt late model.

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-04-2022, 01:44 PM
Any advantages to locking out a mechanical advance distributor? Just curious.MSD Billet distributor with a 6CT Pro box in a dirt late model.

Imo, you are always better with some sort of advance mechanism, if only to make it easier to start.

ZERO25
04-04-2022, 08:17 PM
Imo, you are always better with some sort of advance mechanism, if only to make it easier to start.

I thought the same too but these crate engine builders are saying to lock them out!

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-05-2022, 06:13 AM
I thought the same too but these crate engine builders are saying to lock them out!

If I had to guess, it's because it's a lower rpm engine and it's kinda dummy proof to keep someone from delaying advance too long or not advancing quickly enough. Starting a crate isn't the same monumental task of starting a gas engine at 15:1 compression either. Then there are boxes that naturally retard, even with a locked distributor and those that don't. Blanket advice is rarely ideal, but sometimes best.

In the end, the only goal on a crate is to get the most power out of it. You can dyno it and find the correct timing at every 1000 rpm, to make max power. Short of a programmable box, you are not going to maximize the timing curve. Locking the dizzy is safe. A curve that fully advances before your lowest on track rpm can't hurt anything.

Lizardracing
04-05-2022, 02:21 PM
Just another opinion but reliability of parts is way more important. Weights come apart, stick, rust, spring break and wear out, etc.......

fastford
04-11-2022, 11:11 AM
I have saw a lot of broke starters with a locked out distributor , I personally like a centrifugal advance , I set my total where I want it and start it on 10 degrees , then put the weakest springs on it so it totals quickly , at rpm , its the same as being locked out and easier to start , JMO ....now the new drag race control boxes are a different animal ....

stock car driver
04-19-2022, 12:37 PM
Locked out.

Wire your car so you can hit the starter to turn it over, then turn on the ignition.