PDA

View Full Version : Birdcage placement

hunterracing
05-22-2022, 08:50 PM
Is there anything to gain moving the cage closer to will or in more. Beside fact of moving it out making more steer versus in more if that’s correct. Would moving closer to tire make it work lr harder?

Jking24
05-31-2022, 06:54 AM
No the only thing your changing is the geometry. The car only knows the pickup points relative to the tire position.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-31-2022, 11:28 AM
It changes the steer (more inboard is more steer) and the wheel rate. Farther spring is from the wheel, the softer the rate is with respect to roll. On purely vertical loads, the in or out location doesn't matter, but we have a chassis rolling with respect to that beam axle.

hunterracing
05-31-2022, 07:02 PM
It changes the steer (more inboard is more steer) and the wheel rate. Farther spring is from the wheel, the softer the rate is with respect to roll. On purely vertical loads, the in or out location doesn't matter, but we have a chassis rolling with respect to that beam axle.

I’m still confused on that when I move the cage out the rearend goes fwd when I slide it in it goes back hooked up to the bars

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-31-2022, 09:06 PM
I'm assuming you fix the geometry once you move the cage. For example when you look from the back, the forward end of the bar is 1" closer to the center of the car than the back end, both before and after you move the cage. Most everyone has really wide 4 link mounts to do that. If you have enough drop and you don't, you may bind things up.

hunterracing
05-31-2022, 09:15 PM
No I just left them the same placemat or spacers on cage and frame

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-31-2022, 09:29 PM
No I just left them the same placemat or spacers on cage and frame

Well, that shortened static wheel base and dynamic wheel base.

hunterracing
05-31-2022, 09:32 PM
Well, that shortened static wheel base and dynamic wheel base. never ending learning lol. Does it matter if there toe out the left side to begin with before you move the cage