PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Morans racing career after the million

84wedge
06-09-2022, 07:26 PM
How did Donnie do after winning all that money? Was he better, worse, about the same? Did he retire soon after? I'm wondering how the win tonight will change the winners racing life.

Rajflyboy
06-09-2022, 09:14 PM
I think he said the Million changed their lifestyle forever

TerryM
06-09-2022, 11:19 PM
They had five kids under the age of 10. He continued to race, but he put far more emphasis on family. He had a HOF career before he turned 30. Everything after that was icing. I’ve been saying it for a long time — Donnie Moran is the third best DLM driver I’ve ever seen, behind only Moyer and Bloomquist. He’s still my all time favorite.

EvelB7
06-10-2022, 06:30 AM
Donnie was a major player long before he won the million (just as JD). Money never seemed an issue, he was always a gentleman and humble as he continues to be. I don't believe you will see JD change who he is either, successful people know how to handle success....

dirtcrazy4u
06-10-2022, 06:39 AM
Some of you may have never seen some guy called Jeff Purvis. He didn't have the accident Ole bloomie may not be on that pedestal people put him on.

BigDaddy84
06-10-2022, 08:17 AM
Jeff Purvis, bloomquist and Moyer are my top 3 of all time. Purvis would have been considered the goat if he had stayed in dirt track racing.

Bradley
06-10-2022, 08:21 AM
Some of you may have never seen some guy called Jeff Purvis. He didn't have the accident Ole bloomie may not be on that pedestal people put him on.

Jeff Purvis is the guy Bloomer passed to win his first world 100 ! One thing for sure if it wasn't for ole Bloomer, Purvis would have 1 more world 100 win on his resume. Yes I liked Purvis, but some of you act like Bloomer couldn't win anything as long as Jeff was running dirt.

ride height
06-10-2022, 08:26 AM
Purvis….my all time racing hero. What a talent.

Rajflyboy
06-10-2022, 08:52 AM
I wish I had seen Purvis race back in the day👍

EvelB7
06-10-2022, 12:34 PM
My first World was when Purvis won his first, but Moran was right in the hunt way back then. Purvis wanted to go NASCAR, great guy and hate that his career was cut short.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-10-2022, 04:35 PM
He was starting to slip when he won the million. Honestly, it was a bit of a surprise that he won.

BloomerHarvickFan
06-14-2022, 12:04 PM

I thought Purvis' accident was AFTER he stopped running dirt.

Big Daddy 37
06-14-2022, 02:48 PM
He was starting to slip when he won the million. Honestly, it was a bit of a surprise that he won.

Wow....How smart.

Phatdaddy
06-14-2022, 03:36 PM
My first World 100 was '89. I was excited to see Purvis, Bloomer, Moore, etc.. Moran blew them all away. Then he did it again in '92. Complete domination.

zyoung25
06-14-2022, 03:51 PM
I thought Purvis' accident was AFTER he stopped running dirt.

He had a highway accident after that one too. I dont know all of the details, but I'm thinking his hauler blew a tire and he hit car head on while they were on the way to crate race at TST. It injured him, his son, and his wife pretty bad. It was a pretty serious accident.

That was all after his crash at Nazareth.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-14-2022, 07:50 PM
Wow....How smart.

It's facts! He was a running a different chassis every week and on the downhill. He was long past his prime performances.

Big Daddy 37
06-14-2022, 08:56 PM
It's facts! He was a running a different chassis every week and on the downhill. He was long past his prime performances.

Whatever... 99% of the people there (including myself) were banking on any of Bloomquist, Moyer, or Moran winning. All three were Eldora magicians.

Guess we all knew better.

obamaracing#1
06-14-2022, 09:19 PM
Years ago there were some replies on here claiming he kinda foolishly blew through the money. I’m not sure he won a lot after the million, it seems like he didn’t.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Whatever... 99% of the people there (including myself) were banking on any of Bloomquist, Moyer, or Moran winning. All three were Eldora magicians.

Guess we all knew better.

I wasn't banking on him at all. It had been years since he did anything in a world or Dream. I had watched him run like crap everywhere the last couple of years, at that point.

Next you are going to tell me you called Bart Hartman's win.

It's easy to look back now and say he was a favorite because of all the success he had there. The fact is, recent history means more than old history and smart money would not have been on him.

dirtcrazy4u
06-15-2022, 10:36 AM
MastersBuilt, gotta agree, on that day magic hit and donnie won. The guy had a good career, but after the million it was pretty much on the slide.

Drop Shock
06-15-2022, 10:41 AM
Donnie is still in the top 5 if you ask me, even though guys like JD and Jimmy Owens are knocking on that door more and more every year

zer018
06-15-2022, 06:32 PM
I wasn't banking on him at all. It had been years since he did anything in a world or Dream. I had watched him run like crap everywhere the last couple of years, at that point.

Next you are going to tell me you called Bart Hartman's win.

It's easy to look back now and say he was a favorite because of all the success he had there. The fact is, recent history means more than old history and smart money would not have been on him.

Donnie’s great years in DLM racing happened when his brother-in-law(J.C.) was his crew chief. Donnie touched on this when interviewed about the Eldora Million win that he had hired J.C and his sister back for that one single race for a percentage of the winnings. I heard that it was a lot more than Donnie’s response of 1.5% each if they were to win. J.C. had a lot to do with the success in Donnie’s career.

zyoung25
06-15-2022, 07:58 PM
^^^ I think he said that he paid them 30k for the 2 weeks that they helped on the car. Even in today's world that is pretty good money for 2 weeks worth of work.