PDA

View Full Version : Latrobe Speedway

Rajflyboy
07-05-2022, 07:20 PM
What is this track like now a days? It appears through social media that folks have done a great job bringing this track back to life. They have a nice schedule as well. We went here many years ago as kids. Would like to go back if we make it up that way.

dirtcrazy4u
07-06-2022, 05:11 AM
That deal up there has changed a lot over the years fly. But, all racing has. You used to have latrobe, formerly Schmuckers speedway, you could get back on rt.30 and head for the top of mountain to run jennerstown, when it was dirt. Then Sundays over to motordrome. There was some really good LM guys back then that would battle it out every weekend. Yea there trying hard at latrobe, they run crates weekly, J-town and Motordrome both paved the place. Motordrome was my fav when it was dirt. It was sold recently and it's gone for good.

Rajflyboy
07-06-2022, 07:55 AM
So true dirt. We went to all those tracks back then both on dirt and pavement. Motodrome was the best on dirt and also paved. Jennerstown just didn’t get the passing like Motodrome did. Good to see Latrobe back to running 😁

Raceready
07-06-2022, 01:36 PM
Whats next ? Heidelburg ? ?

Rajflyboy
07-06-2022, 03:44 PM
Whats next ? Heidelburg ? ?. Too young to have seen that but my family went often. Another great track lost. It’s a shame Motodrome is just sitting there. Nothing going on. Loved Late Model racing on that track.

dirtcrazy4u
07-06-2022, 09:13 PM
Fly, motordrome was sold last I heard and I believe the spectator stands are gone. Friend sent me some pics couple months back. I asked mr. Invitational, Bob Wearing what he thought of the asphalt. If my memory is working I think he was driving the 15 car. He gave me a look and said , my drivers uniform is clean. I never went back.

Rajflyboy
07-07-2022, 09:43 AM
It was great on pavement in the early 90’s. From my perspective. Was Wearing still driving in the early 90’s?

Raceready
07-07-2022, 12:42 PM
I recall vividly him running [the last time I saw him run] at the DTWC in Pennsboro in 1991. Well remembered because he spun a 360 on the section on turns 3 and 4 over the bridge where the dirt had worn off and the cars were on concrete. Old Bob spun and never skipped a beat ad kept going in the same position as if nothing happened ! ! I see that your GOAT boy Larson won that Don Martin race at Lerny. Maybe he's getting back into his groove ? ?

Rajflyboy
07-07-2022, 05:04 PM
I recall vividly him running [the last time I saw him run] at the DTWC in Pennsboro in 1991. Well remembered because he spun a 360 on the section on turns 3 and 4 over the bridge where the dirt had worn off and the cars were on concrete. Old Bob spun and never skipped a beat ad kept going in the same position as if nothing happened ! ! I see that your GOAT boy Larson won that Don Martin race at Lerny. Maybe he's getting back into his groove ? ?I like Larson but no way in heck is he the goat yet. Glad he honored the great Don Martin. How old is Bob Wearing now a days ?

Raceready
07-07-2022, 06:20 PM
I like Larson but no way in heck is he the goat yet. Glad he honored the great Don Martin. How old is Bob Wearing now a days ?I would guess in the mid or so 80's ?

dirtcrazy4u
07-07-2022, 06:56 PM
I just saw a fairly recent pick of wearing with his daughter on Facebook. Had a picture of of full dress harley davidson that I guess he rides now a days. Good for him

Raceready
07-07-2022, 07:20 PM
I just saw a fairly recent pick of wearing with his daughter on Facebook. Had a picture of of full dress harley davidson that I guess he rides now a days. Good for himHop'in he has better luck with the 4 -wheelers than old Barefoot Bob did on his big old Harley ! !

Rajflyboy
07-07-2022, 08:38 PM
I just saw a fairly recent pick of wearing with his daughter on Facebook. Had a picture of of full dress harley davidson that I guess he rides now a days. Good for himStill going strong 👍

Rajflyboy
07-07-2022, 08:40 PM
Ben Miley, Lynn Geisler and then on pavement Charlie Cragan and Glen Gault. I enjoyed seeing some of the big dirt guys roll through on occasion. Donnie and a few others. Bolzano was always fun to watch.

Raceready
07-07-2022, 08:51 PM
Ben Miley, Lynn Geisler and then on pavement Charlie Cragan and Glen Gault. I enjoyed seeing some of the big dirt guys roll through on occasion. Donnie and a few others. Bolzano was always fun to watch.Blacky Watt

Rajflyboy
07-08-2022, 01:28 AM
Blacky WattDavey Johnson

Raceready
07-08-2022, 02:22 PM
Davey JohnsonMikey Johnson

Rajflyboy
07-08-2022, 04:44 PM
Yeah baby fo sure

Raceready
07-08-2022, 04:53 PM
Not to mention old Leon Archer in the triple deuce car .

dirtcrazy4u
07-09-2022, 05:53 PM
Ronnie Pivason, the Swiss cheese chassis, the streaker. That was the place to be on Sunday nights.

Boy back in the day. Western pa had some really good dirt tracks. The drivers could go anywhere and be a threat to win.

Many of those great tracks are either gone or are a shadow of what they once produced.

Raceready
07-09-2022, 09:58 PM
Ronnie Pivason, the Swiss cheese chassis, the streaker. That was the place to be on Sunday nights. Boy back in the day. Western pa had some really good dirt tracks. The drivers could go anywhere and be a threat to win. Many of those great tracks are either gone or are a shadow of what they once produced.Always great racers and racing in that part of the country ! ! Some of the best non stop action I watched was a track near Indiana, Pa at a tracked named Challenger .Action so intense that one could forget to breath while watching all the battles on the track ! !

dirtcrazy4u
07-10-2022, 05:24 AM
Yea, a guy drunk put an end to challenger

Rajflyboy
07-10-2022, 07:49 AM
Yea, a guy drunk put an end to challengerYes. Refresh me on the story? Was this a guy on an ATV ?

dirtcrazy4u
07-11-2022, 06:15 AM
It was there end of season fallfest. The parties got out of hand and someone got people injured.

Rajflyboy
07-11-2022, 07:45 AM
It was there end of season fallfest. The parties got out of hand and someone got people injured.Gotcha👍 Thanks

Rajflyboy
07-11-2022, 02:06 PM
Ronnie Pivason, the Swiss cheese chassis, the streaker. That was the place to be on Sunday nights. Boy back in the day. Western pa had some really good dirt tracks. The drivers could go anywhere and be a threat to win. Many of those great tracks are either gone or are a shadow of what they once produced.So true. Good times back then in Western PA