PDA

View Full Version : North South 100 Unsanctioned to Start next year Rumors??

latemodelman
08-13-2022, 08:13 PM
I heard that with paying the purse and sanctioning fees the King Family was thinking of running next years race as an unsanctioned race payouts to stay the same and tickets the same. Also mods will stay the same except a bump in purse money for Saturday. Anyone else hear that?

TowerView
08-13-2022, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=latemodelman;2439305]I heard that with paying the purse and sanctioning fees the King Family was thinking of running next years race as an unsanctioned race payouts to stay the same and tickets the same. Also mods will stay the same except a bump in purse money for Saturday. Anyone else hear that?[/QU

The race is contracted with Lucas Oil and Sunoco through 2023.

TowerView
08-13-2022, 08:46 PM
Just announced the 41st Annual Sunoco North South 100 Presented by Lucas Oil will be on August 10, 11, and 12, 2023.

EDERDS
08-13-2022, 08:48 PM
If they did that, Lucas and WoO both would prob schedule against it.

kidrock
08-13-2022, 08:50 PM
latemodelman the next time the same people that told this rumor tells you another one next year I would question it lol. Just Kidding man

TerryM
08-13-2022, 08:50 PM
If they did that, Lucas and WoO both would prob schedule against it.
That’s not going to happen.

dirtMAN007
08-13-2022, 09:06 PM
latemodelman the next time the same people that told this rumor tells you another one next year I would question it lol. Just Kidding man

Did your friend get an ID yet ?

racerx99
08-13-2022, 10:38 PM
(would un-sanctioned race bring a different group of racers, knowing everybody with the same chance, NO sanction interplay) 60 cars is 60 cars....other groups wanna schedule against them, oh well.....They do already them other big shows avg. 40 cars this weekend....so.....what ever they do, take $ome off the top and spread it around 3rd-15th..

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-13-2022, 10:51 PM
There was a time "they didn't need a series" and they ran it unsanctioned. Look at how few guys have ran every race in each series. It could have worked this year.

Dirt Clod
08-14-2022, 10:35 AM
Last night was such a snoozer. Congrats to Jonathon on the win. They've certainly hit on the right set up and combinations. I'm not a mechanic. What involves tech for the Lucas series? His car was so jacked up, sideways, one side sticking way up, body panels offset. When the race was done, James said "he has to cross the scales and pass the droop test". That it for tech?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-14-2022, 10:39 AM
Last night was such a snoozer. Congrats to Jonathon on the win. They've certainly hit on the right set up and combinations. I'm not a mechanic. What involves tech for the Lucas series? His car was so jacked up, sideways, one side sticking way up, body panels offset. When the race was done, James said "he has to cross the scales and pass the droop test". That it for tech?

These days, the holy grail is the droop test and nothing else matters. In 2016, they was worried about any suspension that didn't look like it came out of a catalog. In both instances, they just let the bodies get more and more crazy. Thing is, that downforce is what ruins the racing.

kidrock
08-14-2022, 11:02 AM
These days, the holy grail is the droop test and nothing else matters. In 2016, they was worried about any suspension that didn't look like it came out of a catalog. In both instances, they just let the bodies get more and more crazy. Thing is, that downforce is what ruins the racing.

You are so right, it's exactly what happened to Nascar

zyoung25
08-14-2022, 11:30 AM

The body on that car is rediculous. I hadn't seen it in person til Friday. It didn't look like that at the beginning of the year. As long he passes the droop rule, he can show up in a F1 car win, and it wouldn't matter.

Dirt Clod
08-14-2022, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. It's sad to think that downforce has taken over dirt late model racing. Totally agree on the aero. When I read earlier this year that dirt late models were going to wind tunnels, I knew the sport was heading the wrong way. #49 car reminded me of Gary Balough's bat mobile. Dirt late models need a body and rule reset for sure.

GEAR_HEAD
08-14-2022, 12:03 PM
The question is who has the guts to be the next Bob Memmer and reel the rules back in? All they have to do is go back to the body rules of the early 2000s and get the noses back off the ground and the racing will be a lot better.

latemodelman
08-14-2022, 12:35 PM
I say put the cars into a rule where the bodies have to be straight and like Gear Head said noses off the ground. Also Fender flares are to be eliminated. Cars should look like 1999 to 2001. Also open the tires up so you can run an American Racer and a Hoosier Tire anytime. It will allow more guys to get a shot and not worry about a tire shortage. Also maybe lower costs by having a $150 shock claiming rule and get away from those big expensive shocks. If costs are lower you might bring back the weekly stuff. Need to get back to where a normal guy that makes $60,000 a year can afford to run a car that 10 to 15 years old and still have a shot to make a feature but not spend $2,000 a night to do it.

JabberJaws83
08-14-2022, 12:51 PM
Hate to say it, but I e returned to mostly watching sprints, especially the All Stars and midgets. The late models look like twisted, wrecked cars and the racing generally isn’t good unless you can throw a slider. About 5 to 6 cars have a chance to win any of the big races, and that’s it

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-14-2022, 01:32 PM
I say put the cars into a rule where the bodies have to be straight and like Gear Head said noses off the ground. Also Fender flares are to be eliminated. Cars should look like 1999 to 2001. Also open the tires up so you can run an American Racer and a Hoosier Tire anytime. It will allow more guys to get a shot and not worry about a tire shortage. Also maybe lower costs by having a $150 shock claiming rule and get away from those big expensive shocks. If costs are lower you might bring back the weekly stuff. Need to get back to where a normal guy that makes $60,000 a year can afford to run a car that 10 to 15 years old and still have a shot to make a feature but not spend $2,000 a night to do it.

Shocks really aren't a problem. I promise you they aren't. We've had good, buildable shocks for over 20 years now. Guys can buy the newest one, but it's only as good as the guy building it and it's still a piston sliding thru oil to produce a force vs velocity. Even more important is the guy at the track twisting on the knobs. The adjustment range is much larger than is actually needed. If you are looking at a sheet to decide what to do with the knobs, then money spent on the latest and greatest is a donation for sure.

I mean an XR1 from Shinston is basically running the same hardware that was on a blue/gray.

Paradox28
08-14-2022, 01:58 PM
the racing is pretty boring because its all aero and signal sticks. Even the modifieds were having aero trouble when someone took their line away.

latemodelman
08-14-2022, 02:00 PM
still need to make it where a normal man can run at a track that makes 60,000 a year and make a feature. or else you will get 40 cars at a big race. If payout was like this 10 years ago you would see 80 cars at the north south and the million would have had 200

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-14-2022, 02:00 PM
the racing is pretty boring because its all aero and signal sticks. Even the modifieds were having aero trouble when someone took their line away.

I shook my head when they put spoilers back. I know it's small, but why?

Drop Shock
08-14-2022, 02:40 PM
I just don’t think we are going back to 2001, you can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-14-2022, 02:51 PM
Drop Shock,

It's no different than ending the wedge. I'd actually argue it's a smaller step.

billetbirdcage
08-14-2022, 03:14 PM
still need to make it where a normal man can run at a track that makes 60,000 a year and make a feature. or else you will get 40 cars at a big race. If payout was like this 10 years ago you would see 80 cars at the north south and the million would have had 200

Talk to some people running a crate, limited, or steel block LM's why they aren't running supers? I'll guarantee most/majority of the answers will be: IT COSTS TOO MUCH FOR A SUPER ENGINE.

So the question should be why is it necessary to have 900HP 9000RPM engines to compete at the big shows? Then take out timing, put small carbs on or use restrictor's to kill power once it slows down or slicks off.

You need it to qualify and not be buried in a heat race and maybe still need it for an early heat race. Then if it's a 2 day show and B's are the next day, many times the B's are hammer down heavy.

The argument will always be there to how to NOT need that much expensive HP only to kill power it later on in the actual race (Taking generalizations here, some tracks don't need a power reduction come A main time).

Is it:

Aero
Soft tires
Suspension
Shocks
etc

You can argue which ever one or ones you want, but taking away the need for large HP will cut costs but you can also argue that will that make the racing better? Nobody knows for sure until it's done (especially the aero) but it sure seems like the place to start.

You need to remember the 2 biggest expenses for touring teams isn't the cars, shocks or the like, it's engines/rebuilds and team labor. Labor as in full time crew guys and help on the road.

Anything you do will obviously add other issues, take going to a harder tire. Now any sort of doping will pay huge dividends if we all go to a super hard tire that doesn't hook up well. So now your back to tire testing being hugely important.

There are no 100% correct answers here

dirtcrazy4u
08-15-2022, 05:24 AM
First you had the wedge cars. NOW you have the twisted wedge cars. #1 aero needs to be addressed, if they don't over the winter I for one will be surprised. But, then again, moving the LR shock mounts back to where they belong would be an easy rule also and that's never going to happen either.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-15-2022, 06:24 AM
First you had the wedge cars. NOW you have the twisted wedge cars. #1 aero needs to be addressed, if they don't over the winter I for one will be surprised. But, then again, moving the LR shock mounts back to where they belong would be an easy rule also and that's never going to happen either.

Put the shock mounts wherever you want, dirtcrazy. My car will go exactly the same speed. I can still get the thrust, wheel rate, and steer I want.

racerx99
08-15-2022, 04:40 PM
we keep having this conversation...until somebody on the inside says enough, they just gonna run it into the ground, doing what they want......